shape
carat
color
clarity

Movies that left you SPEECHLESS...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Dangerous Beauty: Loved that movie!! One of my all time favorites. I could watch that over and over again. It made me want to be a courtesan.

Without a doubt, the most disturbing movie I have ever seen...far worse than Requiem for a Dream is

Boxing Helena: Worst movie ever!!

I think that movie tramatized me. And I used to always be a lttle leary about anything with or by James Spader. There was that one movie, where they get erotic pleasure from getting into car accidents and being maimed. OMG, that movie creeped me out so bad.

I didn't like Fight Club either. But there are some good lines from the movie.

Oh yeah, that one with Dennis Hopper too. Yuck, yuck, yuck...disturbing as hell.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Ready to Wear!!! I saw it when I was 12 or 13, and let me just say, I did not understand anything that happened. Especially when they all started parading around naked. A naked pregnant woman?! In a rated R movie?!?! It was all very strange.

Loved Brokeback, it''s one of my all-time faves.

BIH, the Descent was a good one. I actually don''t remember the ending...need to rewatch.

Eyes Wide Shut is uh, NOT my style. I didn''t get it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 1:35:17 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Eyes Wide Shut. What a stupid movie. I''m going to have to go back and watch it again, because people are still enthralled with it, and see if my age has somehow made it better.

I have to say Skippy that I love American Beauty. That one also left me speechless, but in a good way. My mom hated it and forbade me from having a copy in her house. The cinematography was beautiful. And I love the music.

How about....The Life of David Gale. That one left me going, ''But....and....how....what....'' pretty much just like that.

Saved! left me in one of those states, where it was like, ''WTH was that?'' But I liked that one too.

American History X Curb. That''s all I''m gonna say.

Moulin Rouge I know that this one rubbed a lot of people the wrong way too, but I thought the story was beautiful and the cinematography was amazing.

Requiem for a Dream Now THAT is a movie to scare everyone off of doing anything...

The Jacket left me going, ''EH?!''

Memento I''ve never been so confused.

ETA: Fight Club WTH was up with that movie?! I need to watch it a few more times...

Two of my favourite movies!

I love rewatching Memento now that I know the twist. . . crazy freakin'' movie, but love the concept!

Freke, read Fight Club if you can - it''s another one of those movies that translated ok from the book, but the written version is just somehow more powerful to me.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
P.S. I Love You had me going "WTH?" at the end of it . . . and through the middle during parts, too - but mostly just sobbing through the whole thing.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 4:36:38 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Dangerous Beauty: Loved that movie!! One of my all time favorites. I could watch that over and over again. It made me want to be a courtesan.

Without a doubt, the most disturbing movie I have ever seen...far worse than Requiem for a Dream is

I think that movie tramatized me. And I used to always be a lttle leary about any James Spader. There was that one movie, where they get erotic pleasure from getting into car accidents and being maimed. OMG, that movie creeped me out so bad.
FF owns Requiem, and I''m curious to see it, but everytime I suggest it, he says no. Now I''m thinking I could do without it?
32.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 4:38:24 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 8/4/2008 4:36:38 PM
Author: miraclesrule

I think that movie tramatized me. And I used to always be a lttle leary about any James Spader. There was that one movie, where they get erotic pleasure from getting into car accidents and being maimed. OMG, that movie creeped me out so bad.
FF owns Requiem, and I''m curious to see it, but everytime I suggest it, he says no. Now I''m thinking I could do without it?
32.gif
It''s actually a very good movie sunnyd. It is disturbing for the scenes and the drugs, but the acting is superb!! The analogy between legal and illegal drugs is extremely well done. Ellen Burstyn (?) should have received an Academy Award for her role.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Thanks miracles! I''ll just watch it on a bright sunny day when there are plenty of activities left to do before bed. LOL...creeepy and disturbing right before bed is a disaster for me.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Anything and everything from M Night Shyamalan.

"Signs" the aliens just leave, but before they go, they carve pretty little symbols in your door?? "The Village", Really? And, if you''re living like you would a hundred years ago, where did you get such red fabric? And, what''s the deal with the red anyway? Then of course, it just ends. And, I just saw "Lady in the Water" this morning. Again, WTF and it just ends.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wasn't Ellen nominated for an Academy for it? And she lost out to whoever ended up winning...I can't remember.

I'd watch it anyway sunnyd. It was eye opening...

ETA: It's not really creepy-just...very disturbing. It's a good movie to show to high school students to scare them off from trying any drugs. IMHO.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speechless but not necessarily GREAT, just thought provoking and something you talk about after the fact.

American Beauty was shocking and left me going WOW.

Also American Psycho was interesting and freaky.

Pulp Fiction was also a WOW to me, really a trippy thing. Just amazing\, left me talking about it afterwards for a while. I also thought his movies Kill Bill were fascinating. Really amazing, just conceptually brilliant.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 4:51:11 PM
Wasn''t Ellen nominated for an Academy for it? And she lost out to whoever ended up winning...I can''t remember.

I''d watch it anyway sunnyd. It was eye opening...

ETA: It''s not really creepy-just...very disturbing. It''s a good movie to show to high school students to scare them off from trying any drugs. IMHO.
I''ll watch it. Just need to convince Chris to watch it with me!
3.gif

Will I cry? I cried a couple weeks ago watching a very disturbing SVU when Olivia almost gets raped. I''m sensitive, what can I say. Hee!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
There Will be Blood: Total waste of my time. The acting was good but the plot and character delopment were crapola.

Taxi Driver: Unfortunately I had read some magazine article saying the moving was good and recommended that hubby and I watch it... hubby still reminds me how insufferable that movie was.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Kill Bills too DF. They are so different, and a little bit manic depressive, and so opposite of each other, but together they make a cohesive story. Not to mention the imagery, and the fact that it looked like a comic/graphic novel come to life. Loved it. First Quentin movies that I've actually liked.

ETA: I don't know if you'll cry sunnyd. How do you feel about visually disturbing stuff. Do you think you could hang out in a inner city ER for a night? Ok, that one might be drastic, but still....

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 4:36:51 PM
Ready to Wear!!! I saw it when I was 12 or 13, and let me just say, I did not understand anything that happened. Especially when they all started parading around naked. A naked pregnant woman?! In a rated R movie?!?! It was all very strange.

Loved Brokeback, it''s one of my all-time faves.

BIH, the Descent was a good one. I actually don''t remember the ending...need to rewatch.

Eyes Wide Shut is uh, NOT my style. I didn''t get it.
You probably saw the american ending which was more cheereful than the real, British ending. It adds more perspective to the situation with the original one.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 10:59:00 AM
Author: sap483
Hostel. Most disturbing movie I have ever seen. DH and I rented it because it had Quentin Tarantino's name all over it, not knowing anything about it. Boy was that a mistake.
You know, if it weren't for the unnecessary nude scenes, the movie scared me to think that this stuff could actually happen and we all just don't know about it - like it's some underground thing that people with A LOT of cash do... that movie left me speechless and it made me think...

Now I need to see American Beauty...so I can be wowed by it like the rest of you!
5.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:04:59 PM
Author: Elegant

Hostel. Most disturbing movie I have ever seen. DH and I rented it because it had Quentin Tarantino''s name all over it, not knowing anything about it. Boy was that a mistake.
You know, if it weren''t for the unnecessary nude scenes, the movie scared me to think that this stuff could actually happen and we all just don''t know about it - like it''s some underground thing that people with A LOT of cash do... that movie left me speechless and it made me think...

Now I need to see American Beauty...so I can be wowed by it like the rest of you!
5.gif
I refuse to watch Hostel. It''s scary enough that there are people who think up this stuff!!!

Oh Freke I''ll lose it. Haha, FF told me about a scene involving 2 strippers...ummm.
40.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:09:34 PM

Hostel. Most disturbing movie I have ever seen. DH and I rented it because it had Quentin Tarantino''s name all over it, not knowing anything about it. Boy was that a mistake.

You know, if it weren''t for the unnecessary nude scenes, the movie scared me to think that this stuff could actually happen and we all just don''t know about it - like it''s some underground thing that people with A LOT of cash do... that movie left me speechless and it made me think...

5.gif

I refuse to watch Hostel. It''s scary enough that there are people who think up this stuff!!!

Oh Freke I''ll lose it. Haha, FF told me about a scene involving 2 strippers...ummm.
40.gif
Yeah, no kidding - but doesn''t it make you think that there is a possibility that this DOES happen, all of the time? That SCARES me!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
40.gif
They aren''t both strippers...one is Jennifer Connelly. And that''s towards the end. Like 5-10 minutes before it''s over. And that isn''t the most disturbing part. At least for me. Ellen and Jared''s are much worse to me....

It basically boils down to 4 possible consequences of drug usage.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:18:03 PM

40.gif
They aren''t both strippers...one is Jennifer Connelly. And that''s towards the end. Like 5-10 minutes before it''s over. And that isn''t the most disturbing part. At least for me. Ellen and Jared''s are much worse to me....

Oh yeah. I''m still kinda surprised that she did this movie. Isn''t she a romantic comedy type?!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:12:14 PM

5.gif

40.gif
Yeah, no kidding - but doesn''t it make you think that there is a possibility that this DOES happen, all of the time? That SCARES me!
Actually, if I recall correctly the writer of the movie said in an interview that he had come across an ad for "that type of thing" in some foreign newspaper and had based the movie on that. So I''m not sure how big of a stretch (minus the naked girls) it is from reality. I think reading that brought the movie to a whole new level of disturbing for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:33:15 PM
Date: 8/4/2008 5:18:03 PM

Oh yeah. I''m still kinda surprised that she did this movie. Isn''t she a romantic comedy type?!
Not really. Jennifer Connelly imdb The movies I think of when I think of her are Beautiful Mind, Labyrinth, Requiem for a Dream, Blood Diamond, Dark City, and Hulk. She''s not your run of the mill romantic comedy kind of chick. Brilliant actress though.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 5:37:48 PM
Date: 8/4/2008 5:12:14 PM

5.gif

40.gif

Actually, if I recall correctly the writer of the movie said in an interview that he had come across an ad for ''that type of thing'' in some foreign newspaper and had based the movie on that. So I''m not sure how big of a stretch (minus the naked girls) it is from reality. I think reading that brought the movie to a whole new level of disturbing for me.
Okay, now knowing this has brought it to a whole new level for me...OMG...I wonder what foreign newspaper he got it from? OMG...OMG...OMG...VERY disturbing. OMG...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
i refuse to watch really creepy movies like Hostel. Something with aliens that is pure fiction is easier than watching something that could happen, even remotely. Who remembers the one where the kids were in Brazil or something and were kidnapped for their organs? I do not think it was Hostel but it might be. They were taken into the jungle and operated on or am I totally not remembering it right?

Million Dollar Baby totally upset me. I thought the acting was supberb but it made me cry. I also thought Boys don't Cry was amazing, again, horrific, but I really did like it in terms of the gritty reality and her acting. And it was based on a true story, I recall reading an article about it, and I think they did a pretty good job with the actual series of events.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I recently saw Fargo for the first time since it came out... 10 years ago? Now that was a movie that, when I first saw it, left me totally, completely speechless. It''s a masterpiece.

It had lost a bit of its edge the second time around and on a tiny screen, but it still packs a punch. The very last scene of Frances McDormand''s oscar winning performance is so subtle and understated but so moving.

If you haven''t seen Fargo, you really, really should. And it IS a true a story!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
House of Sand and Fog. Ben Kingsley ripped my heart out with his pride and sorrow.

Bridges of Madison County.

I'm a movie freak!!! and have seen many great ones...but after those two, I was a mess and definitely speechless...

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
American , I didn''t get AT ALL. But the first and only time I watched it was when I was 19, had been in the United states for roughly 6 months with no American friends, so I''m willing to watch it again. I think I''ll understand it better.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Sorry, but I can''t stand that movie. I wanted to strangle that girl so badly. I love Hero and Fearless. I don''t like House of Flying Daggers.

Two movies I love are Brazil and Cube. Brazil had me rolling on the floor, but both of them made me wondering what I was supposed to feel.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three kind of quirky movies that I love and hubby HATED

Rushmore
Election
The Royal Tennenbaums

I also LOVED the Forty Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and the Wedding Crashers. They had me peeing in my pants.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 6:24:57 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I recently saw Fargo for the first time since it came out... 10 years ago? Now that was a movie that, when I first saw it, left me totally, completely speechless. It''s a masterpiece.

It had lost a bit of its edge the second time around and on a tiny screen, but it still packs a punch. The very last scene of Frances McDormand''s oscar winning performance is so subtle and understated but so moving.

If you haven''t seen Fargo, you really, really should. And it IS a true a story!!
Actually, its not. The Cohen brothers just claimed that to sell it; it bacame a joke among the cast. http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/fargo.asp
There was a murder in WI in 1987 of a woman named Helle Crafts whose body was put through a wood chipper, but other than that, there were no similarities to the movie.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also loved the Commitments, about a group of Iris kids getting a band together and that movie Once, also about musicians in Europe. Both were great.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I loved 40-yr Old Virgin. I saw it three times at the theatre. I didn't like the DVD version. The jokes didn't have the punch. Some of my favorite movies are (lifted from my MySpace)

foreign films
indie films

Braveheart.
Love Actually.* Can watch this everyday.
Run Lola Run.
I am Sam.
Any movie with Angelina Jolie or Angela Bassett.
The Miracle Worker.
Shrek. Incredibles. Mary Poppins, Jungle Book. Sound of Music. Parent Trap-(original)
E.T.
Remember The Titans.
Beaches.
Ghost.
Harry Potter.
Heaven Can Wait.
Ever After.
The Italian Job
Monster.
Dances with Wolves,
Bloodsport.
Overboard.
Miss Congeniality.
Dead Man Walking.
Dangerous Beauty.
Searching for Bobby Fischer.
HIgh Fidelity. Million Dollar Baby.
Instinct.
Gorillas in the Mist.
Friday Night Lights.
Ace Ventura.
Neverland.
Life of David Gale.
Kill Bill.
Casualties of War.
The Notebook,
Garden State.
Erin Brockovich.
The Client.
Kissing Jessica Stein.
Bull Durham. * Love this one
Rudy.
The Other Sister.
That really bizarre Bjork movie. * balled my eyes out
Forrest Gump.
Crash
Collateral,
A Few Good Men
Runaway Bride
The Sweetest Thing
As Good as it Gets
Beautiful Life
Erin Brockovich
A Star is Born (The one with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristaferson... psss zap chicaboom...pssss zap chicka boom. The black black widow is sitting in the middle of the web it's the fly she seeks.. oh oh)
A Star is Born
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Family Stone
Somtimes Gotta Give
Dreamgirls
Austin Powers (because my daugher's MOH is in that film as a skater in the beginning. She is also in the Coke commercials)
12 Angry Men
The Client
Dave
Douple jeopardy
Coal Miner's Daughter
Momento, even though I got it at the end.
Sixth Sense, even though I guessed he was dead 10 mintures before the end.
The hot steamy Antonio Bandaras in most of his roles.

I used to watch at least three movies a week, so I have a lot of favorites. That is just a short list.

I still love the Titantic. and the 1st and 2nd Terminators.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results