carat
color
clarity

More senseless killing in Paris

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Gee. No irony or 'moral high horse' in that post. :roll:
Just saying.[/quote]

Take it however you'd like. I called no one or their ideas any kind of derogatory name. Nor did I cast judgment on those who do not live as I do. Rather, I stated ways in which I live as respectfully and lovingly as I can. I don't just spout warm, fuzzy words on the internet. The point is that people can not draw true and accurate judgements of someone based on a few words posted on an internet forum. Perhaps I should have quietly accepted the disrespect and nastiness and left this conversation as others have done. It's just not in my nature to do so. Fortunately or unfortunately.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1447880244|3951436 said:
As someone who weathered the ATW wars of 2008, anyone care to take a bet as to how long it will be before this thread is edited, shut down, or removed entirely and we have to go back to talking about chickies and duckies and rainbows?

As a fellow ATW wars of 2008 veteran and someone who had hoped that this thread would make it, I say it goes tonight.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1447898256|3951550 said:
As someone who weathered the ATW wars of 2008, anyone care to take a bet as to how long it will be before this thread is edited, shut down, or removed entirely and we have to go back to talking about chickies and duckies and rainbows?

As a fellow ATW wars of 2008 veteran and someone who had hoped that this thread would make it, I say it goes tonight.

I think it's going to go when the unicorns complain about being excluded from ksinger's list.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am of Syrian descent. This whole situation makes my heart hurt.
If my great-grandparents hadn't immigrated to the US in 1902, maybe I would be one of those women you see on the news carrying a crying child, or living in a makeshift tent in a muddy refugee camp.
All of us are descendants of immigrants/refugees looking for a better life. (With the exception of Native Americans, and that's another sad story)
They are real people, just like us. Living through a nightmare.
I don't know what the answer is, but they are not the terrorists.
The terrorists are already here.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1447899211|3951554 said:
If my great-grandparents hadn't immigrated to the US in 1902, maybe I would be one of those women you see on the news carrying a crying child, or living in a makeshift tent in a muddy refugee camp.
All of us are descendants of immigrants/refugees looking for a better life. (With the exception of Native Americans, and that's another sad story)
They are real people, just like us. Living through a nightmare

I am sorry, Stracci. Sorry that anyone suggested here that Syrian refugees should be segregated on an island away from Americans and forced to fight. I am sorry that such appalling, inhumane, despicable ideas were expressed here, but grateful for the insight into their authors. Not everyone here agrees with those ideas or thinks they are superior to the refugees just because they are American. I could also be one of those women, because we all could. I am glad your great-grandparents came here and that you are not homeless, hungry, cold, and living in pain and fear like the refugees.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It went south after the Liberals took over the thread... :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1447898896|3951551 said:

I think it's going to go when the unicorns complain about being excluded from ksinger's list.

I'm sorry, Ms. Matata, I believe you were around in 2008 and would therefore be allowed to weigh in on this-uh-weighty-issue, but there has been some redistricting. You now have to pay a poll tax. And you have to wait indefinitely while we calculate how much you are going to have to pay. For now you cannot voice any opinions...on unicorns or anything else.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1447902340|3951571 said:
And you have to wait indefinitely while we calculate how much you are going to have to pay. For now you cannot voice any opinions...on unicorns or anything else.

But, but I did the pie thing. You didn't do the pie thing. And you never sent me a cake either. Or even offered to. You just offered me hugs. I can't eat hugs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1447903475|3951581 said:
And you have to wait indefinitely while we calculate how much you are going to have to pay. For now you cannot voice any opinions...on unicorns or anything else.

But, but I did the pie thing. You didn't do the pie thing. And you never sent me a cake either. Or even offered to. You just offered me hugs. I can't eat hugs.

You are correct. I am one of the superior people on Pricescope. My opinions matter more than those of others and I know it. I never have to consider the feelings of others, nor do I. And I never offer pie to make peace. I did offer you hugs. I did not offer you a cake because you did not post 10,000 times yet. But since only my opinion matters, I have determined that like Marie Antoinette, you should eat cake. Would you like one? I would gladly send one, dear Matata!

Hugs,
Deb

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1447903837|3951583 said:

You are correct. I am one of the superior people on Pricescope. My opinions matter more than those of others and I know it. I never have to consider the feelings of others, nor do I. And I never offer pie to make peace. I did offer you hugs. I did not offer you a cake because you did not post 10,000 times yet. But since only my opinion matters, I have determined that like Marie Antoinette, you should eat cake. Would you like one? I would gladly send one, dear Matata!

Hugs,
Deb

Aiyeee, for a second I thought you were going to suggest I should meet the same fate as Marie Antoinette. I bow to your prowess of pithy irony-laced repartee. Your superiority galls, appalls, and awes. Alas I shall not live long enough to post 10,000 times and acknowledge that I am unworthy of a cake. A tartlett, mayhap, for the lowest number of posts per year?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1447904330|3951585 said:
AGBF|1447903837|3951583 said:

Hugs,
Deb

Aiyeee, for a second I thought you were going to suggest I should meet the same fate as Marie Antoinette. I bow to your prowess of pithy irony-laced repartee. Your superiority galls, appalls, and awes. Alas I shall not live long enough to post 10,000 times and acknowledge that I am unworthy of a cake. A tartlett, mayhap, for the lowest number of posts per year?

I was only referring to why I had not previously offered you a cake, Matata. Generally I used to offer them when a poster hit 10,000 postings (then Kaleigh did). Then we stopped the practice.

However, there is precedent for the granting of a cake (not a mere tartlet). It has been done here before. And let me remind you of this important definition of precedent:

“PRECEDENT, n. In Law, a previous decision, rule or practice which, in the absence of a definite statute, has whatever force and authority a Judge may choose to give it, thereby greatly simplifying his task of doing as he pleases. As there are precedents for everything, he has only to ignore those that make against his interest and accentuate those in the line of his desire. Invention of the precedent elevates the trial-at-law from the low estate of a fortuitous ordeal to the noble attitude of a dirigible arbitrament.”

Can you doubt that I would ever lose an opportunity to ignore the those that make against my interest and accentuate those in the line of my desire? Of course not! So I invoke the precedent of the cake granted to a poster early before you!

So, honestly, if you would like a cake, say so. I can get one to you soon. If I miss Thanksgiving, I can get it for another holiday. Say the word. You are a very special poster!

Deb/AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1447905927|3951594 said:
So, honestly, if you would like a cake, say so. I can get one to you soon. If I miss Thanksgiving, I can get it for another holiday. Say the word. You are a very special poster!

Deb/AGBF

Thank you for your generosity AGBF. It is enough for me that you would invoke precedent to send me a cake. I am humbled. And just for the record, I think you are a great person, an astute thinker, and an asset to this forum.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1447901932|3951565 said:
It went south after the Liberals took over the thread... :lol:

But DF ...

libs_rock.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1447900263|3951557 said:
They are real people, just like us. Living through a nightmare

I am sorry, Stracci. Sorry that anyone suggested here that Syrian refugees should be segregated on an island away from Americans and forced to fight. I am sorry that such appalling, inhumane, despicable ideas were expressed here, but grateful for the insight into their authors. Not everyone here agrees with those ideas or thinks they are superior to the refugees just because they are American. I could also be one of those women, because we all could. I am glad your great-grandparents came here and that you are not homeless, hungry, cold, and living in pain and fear like the refugees.

Thanks, Jambalaya.
I often wonder where I would be today if my ancestors hadn't made the trip.
They certainly gave all their descendants a better life.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fear for the refugees, Stracci, I really do. I just cannot imagine losing everything, and going to a foreign country half a world away where I am not familiar with the life, language, or customs. I am sure that wherever they go, they will experience negative reactions from a number of people. I'd think a European country like France, Germany, Scandinavia, or Great Britain would be a good bet because they seem more cosmopolitan and less insular than certain parts of the States, being part of a continent of interlinked yet very different countries. I get the impression that those countries are very tolerant indeed, and I know that France and Britain have recent histories (last 20 years) of immigration from Muslim, Sikh, and Hindu cultures. I have friends who tell me that it's quite normal to see Muslim women wearing hijabs on the Tube and that no one thinks it's strange or different. So maybe the refugees would be more welcome in Europe than here.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
They are real people, just like us. Living through a nightmare.

What you say is something that is on my mind a lot. Had my father's ancestors not left Ukraine for the US 108 years ago after my great-great grandfather was murdered there in the 1890's, they would have been wiped out by the Nazis several decades later.

An aside, and it is not a pleasant one, but for a few decades now, I've had a strong premonition that full-scale war of the likes of World War 2 will break out in Europe by 2035. It won't be because of a Hitler or Stalin, but it will be based on religious conflict fanned by nutcase extremists, as we are seeing now.

It is very obvious that Europe and US are in quite different situations currently re: Islam. Where I live in the American West, in small and large cities, Muslims peacefully co-exist in the community, there are Mosques near where I live and visit, and everybody gets along fine, there is no conflict.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I don't know about your premonition one way or the other, Sky, it's great to hear of communities of Muslims co-existing peacefully with non-Muslims. Where I live, I can think of one Muslim. He takes part in Ramadan but he does drink, so I guess he's not hugely observant. You never see women wearing a hijab here - I think anyone who wore one would be made to feel very uncomfortable, and there are certainly no mosques. By US standards, where I live is considered reasonably cosmopolitan but most people don't have a passport and have never been out of the States.

31 states don't want refugees, according to CNN. Seriously, if I were a refugee I think I'd rather go to Europe! It's a pity since we are such a huge country and have more than enough room for the low number proposed, 10k.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I read about that. I'm glad the mastermind of that plot is no longer a threat.

I think the majority of the refugees will have to go to other countries. Polls are saying that over half of Americans would reject them, given a choice. Such a pity when we are a huge country with so much space. But if they are largely unwanted, it's probably best for their emotional welfare that they go to other countries because they might feel quite unaccepted and unwelcome here - on top of all their other trauma - if the polls are correct. Poor things. :cry:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
autumngems|1447863612|3951307 said:
It's a sad world.

My daughter is 17 and she had nightmares last night and could not sleep over all this. There was a post about sertain cities in certain states being warned of ISIS and we live close to one of those cities and are afiliated with military so that has been on her mind. She texted me at work from school saying she is scared and wished she could carry a gun.

How do you reassure your child......................

Does she watch a lot of tv news? Do you think that might be a contributing factor to her anxiety?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've stayed out of this, but I think it's valuable to state an opinion. I'm not in the US, so I don't quite understand all the fear that people are feeling with regards to having Syrian refugees come to the country. I can fully understand fear MONGERING, because the media and the politicians seem to be all over that.

Earlier in the thread someone said or asked if a person would cross the street if they saw a Syrian refugee. My answer is simply, how would I even know if a person was a refugee? Will they have to wear some physical sign at all times? Are we talking about women in niquabs? I see that everyday in my local Walmart, in my doctor's office, at the grocery store and walking around in my neighbourhood. I don't feel any fear about this, it's a daily occurrence.

The US and Canada where I live, were built by immigrants. My ancestors were both immigrants and indigenous people. I can claim Canada as my native land as far back as it was populated with any people. :)) I'm not afraid of Syrian refugees, and I live close to Toronto, which will surely be the first city accepting them and settling them. I'm not going to play into the terrorist's hands. My government is being careful. I wish we could do more actually.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's nice that you wish your country could do more, Lyra. Me too. But many people here are suspicious of the refugees.

I agree with you about the fear. Earlier this week a hysterical woman had a Middle Eastern family kicked off a plane for watching the news, and today a passenger on a flight at Chicago Midway said they were "too scared to fly" because two men were speaking Arabic, and they were carrying a small white box. They were both US citizens who owned a pizza restaurant and had come here 15 years ago from Palenstine, and their little box contained baklava, a sweet pastry. One of the men who was being harassed by the passenger responded by calling the police. Good for him for sticking up for himself. Too scared to fly because someone is speaking Arabic? What is the world coming to!

I see Donald Tump is on form today, calling for every Muslim in America to be "registered". I take it he sees no parallels between that suggestion and the pre-war Germany of the Thirties, when Jewish people had to be registered. What a disgraceful man. Like you said, Lyra, he'll be suggesting all Muslims have to wear a physical sign next. :roll:

In Virginia a man stormed a public meeting about a mosque yelling that all Muslims are terrorists.

Interestingly, this has come in the same week as a major Hollywood star has revealed his HIV+ status, and people are saying he deserved it and that he should have disclosed his status to any actress he had to stage-kiss, and that they wouldn't kiss him.

The attacks in Paris sure have exposed a lot of backward ignorance and prejudice in The Land of the Free.

Makes me want to run away and join the circus. Oh, wait - I'm already in the circus! :lol:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Here in Canada we are preparing to bring over 25,000 refugees before the end of December. They will initially be housed at military bases and in "temporary structures" in groups of 500-3000. There won't be enough time to screen everyone so it has been suggested that some of these "temporary communities" will be fenced/guarded. Temporary structures are expected to be in use for 3 months.

I don't know how to feel about this. On one side there is value with getting as many people out as possible with Europe being overwhelmed at the moment. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting behind housing people in what are essentially camps through the winter. I can't see conditions being wonderful.

Starting to think this is a political move.

Eta: I do know that for many these living arrangements will truly be temporary. My community is preparing to house 1,500 refugees and we are just a small suburb outside of Toronto. Our former Prime Minister was against bringing in refugees, our election took place last month, and our new Prime Minister was sworn in just a few weeks ago. So essentially my government did a 180 on our stand and people are scrambling to arrange permanent housing.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1447884317|3951470 said:
missy|1447883982|3951466 said:
Matata|1447883688|3951461 said:
missy|1447883296|3951458 said:
Matata|1447883156|3951455 said:
missy|1447882462|3951452 said:
Pie sounds delicious. Thank you Matata. Please allow me to bring the bourbon. And some cream pie for Alj.
Ooooooo, how yummy would it be to take some of that cream pie, a good dose of the bourbon and whip it up in a blender, and top it with real whipped cream and chocolate shavings :lockout:

Count me in! :appl: I just hope Alj likes the cream pie I chose. 8)
Alas, missy, she nearly started WW III on PS endlessly debating the superiority of lemon versus lime pies. I doubt she'd call your pie choice dim witted or ignorant but she may say it was in poor taste. (A thousand apologies in advance to Alj if it appears I'm attempting to put words rather than pie in her mouth and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest my panties if I have insulted her.)

:lol: Oh no, a thousand apologies. Will this do? One of each. :lickout:
Kudos to you for representing both sides of the citrus cream pie war.

I'm just glad you all understand the absolute urgency of pleasing the pie gods......

And yes, representing both is good. More pie for all! :)

Lastly - Matata, thank you for the HILAAAAAAAAAAAAAARIOUS laugh. This week has to be one my top 3 worst weeks in the last 14 years, with very little to chuckle about ........until imagining you hopping around with camel fleas in your bloomers. You will never know how badly I needed that laugh today and how grateful I am for it.

On point.......name calling, blaming, and insulting are never the way to find common ground. It fails 100% of the time, and it can make people who would otherwise be receptive to hearing another POV shut down.

There are so many smart folks here, and I know we're capable of better.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1448062323|3952269 said:
Lastly - Matata, thank you for the HILAAAAAAAAAAAAAARIOUS laugh. This week has to be one my top 3 worst weeks in the last 14 years, with very little to chuckle about ........until imagining you hopping around with camel fleas in your bloomers. You will never know how badly I needed that laugh today and how grateful I am for it.

Sending hugs your way Alj. I hope all negative things impacting your life are resolved soon.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1448062323|3952269 said:
This week has to be one my top 3 worst weeks in the last 14 years, with very little to chuckle about ....

I am very sorry to hear this, al. I hope that things improve for you soon.

Deb

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Heartfelt thanks, ladies. You know what they say - this too shall pass. And it will.

It only takes one bright spot to turn things around, and for me.......it was camel fleas. :naughty: Hugs to you for making a difference in my day.

Bring on the (cream) pie. (Sorry, Deb, but can't have any pagan cakes crashing the party. Yours are good, i'm sure - but not a substitute for pie.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That camel flea comment had me rolling, too!

Hugs to you, Alj.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results