shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana sapphire journey

S

SparkliesLuver

I've long admired Montana sapphires because they're created here in the States, plus I like that steely gray look. A few of my favorite sapphires are Montanas that belong to fellow PSers. :) I've been in touch with Blaze for quite some time about a piece of rough, and nothing caught my eye until this weekend. My gut told me it was time to take the plunge, so I did! It's currently on its way to Jerry for inspection before the purchase is final. Can't wait to hear from him! :D I thought I'd share my journey since this route is usually the one less traveled.

Stats:
13.04 cts
10.5 x 9.1 x 10mm
Unheated

sam_4981.jpg

sam_4984.jpg

sam_4985.jpg

sam_4987.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And we are here to follow along with you on this exciting journey!

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Can't wait to see the process! How very special.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you! Thanks for sharing your journey.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Chrono. I feel like only PS people understand my craziness. :Up_to_something:

ipodobe, I feel the same! I can't wait to see what Jerry has to say and what happens, providing he gives it the "ok." :)

Thanks, Acinom! I'm pretty excited but I'm also trying not to get ahead of myself...which as you know is hard for me. :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting. That rough looks to have a lot of potential. It reminds me of opening a treasure box and seeing what's inside. Good luck with the outcome.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, TL. I sure hope so! I've seen a lot of pieces of rough over the last however many months but nothing I wanted to take a chance on. haha That's very similar to how I feel.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
So exciting! I can't wait to see how it turns out :)

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Very exciting! :) Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you, SL, that it cuts out as nice as it looks! Do you mind sharing with us what clarity grade Blaze assigned this stone?

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you very much, deskjockey and EvangelineG!

I appreciate that, ephsea, since I know you've been down this route before. :) It never made it to his website but he said VS to VVS. I hope to know more once Jerry has it and maybe even puts a window into it.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
This is really cool. Good luck!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see how this turns out. I lived in Helena, Montana, in 1981-82 and would like to have a sapphire from there. It's next on my list.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, LK. I might need it! ;-)

indigoblue, I love the significance. Let us know when you're looking as I'm sure you'd receive a lot of help. :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
So exciting!! Thanks for sharing your journey (okay now I sound like a corny contestant on the Bachelor :???: )

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting!

Hopefully, this project will take less time than DF's Octavia from start to finish! :bigsmile:

Would you know the shape of the stone once it is cut, so that we can start spec'ing settings for it? :Up_to_something:

DK :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm glad you think so too, ElleW. :D

:lol: You're too funny, ricezo.

haha Do you have a thread for her ring, by chance, DK? I'm hoping for an asscher. That's what's driven me to find a piece of rough that's very deep. It's been hard because so many are, at most, 8mm. This one is 10mm, so I'm hopeful. To answer your question, yes, I definitely hope to know! :) It won't be set for awhile though. I've sort of spent more than I should have recently. Oops. :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssst, DF = Dancing Fire = he! :bigsmile:

I'll dig out his thread for you later, however, if you search for Octavia, you should find his threads from rough to finished ring.

Not sure if his ring style would suit you though as it is kind of masculine! :bigsmile:

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Oops. My apologies. :oops:

Okay, I'll check! :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two recent threads with Octavias for ladies:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ia-asscher-and-maevona-wedding-band-♥.210938/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-reset-octavia-asscher.210934/

And here are DF's threads, starting with the rough itself, then the finished diamond, and the finished ring (in case you are still interested):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-rough-for-my-octavia-pics.203024/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/showing-off-my-2-30ct-i-vs2-vsb-fluor-octavia.207321/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-30ct-octavia-on-a-gelin-abaci-tension-setting.210548/

As for Asscher cut CS setting inspirations, here is the link to Jeff White's gallery of clients' jewellery with his stones, a number of them are Asschers, some if not all belong to PSers:

http://www.whitesgems.com/jewelrygallery.html

DK :))

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is going to be an impressive stone. Nice color!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see it!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm glad you think so, CirrusClouds. Thank you. :)

Thanks, preg. You and me both! ha

ETA: Thank you for all those links, DK! I checked them out this morning at 2am when I couldn't sleep. Needless to say I don't think they helped me fall back asleep. :lol:

Per the tracking, Jerry should receive it today. Can't wait to hear what he has to say! :appl:

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Ooh your rough is beautiful! I love montana sapphires, (obviously). Can't wait to see how it turns out!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shades of montana sapphires. The rough looks like seaglass, and should have that beautiful blue-green ocean color when cut. Thank you for letting us share in the experience vicariously!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, LuckyKelleyK! haha Me too. :)

part gypsy, I feel the same way. I too thought the same thing when I saw it - it reminded me that blue-green color I love so much. Sure thing! I'm happy to have my PS family here with me. :)

Jerry did receive the rough yesterday. In the name of honesty, here's his exact response:

I’ve looked over the rough in my Refractol fluid to be able to see inside better. I can see a hexagonal oriented silky zone nearer one end of the crystal. It is a strange shaped piece of rough, certainly not ideal. I think it could be cut in the Asscher in two orientations, but the orientation looking down the crystal length will give a better blue component than cutting it across the crystal. I might have to tip it slightly to avoid the jagged taper toward the bottom of the crystal. I think it’ll make at least 7 mm this way. It no doubt will have a little silk, but hopefully not enough to detract. I didn’t see any major “stuff” inside. I vote to go forward with it.

I decided to give him the green light. I figured why not, right? :) You never know unless you take a chance. He said he won't be able to get to it for at least a week, so now the waiting begins. :whistle:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1424955596|3838456 said:
Thank you, LuckyKelleyK! haha Me too. :)

part gypsy, I feel the same way. I too thought the same thing when I saw it - it reminded me that blue-green color I love so much. Sure thing! I'm happy to have my PS family here with me. :)

Jerry did receive the rough yesterday. In the name of honesty, here's his exact response:

I’ve looked over the rough in my Refractol fluid to be able to see inside better. I can see a hexagonal oriented silky zone nearer one end of the crystal. It is a strange shaped piece of rough, certainly not ideal. I think it could be cut in the Asscher in two orientations, but the orientation looking down the crystal length will give a better blue component than cutting it across the crystal. I might have to tip it slightly to avoid the jagged taper toward the bottom of the crystal. I think it’ll make at least 7 mm this way. It no doubt will have a little silk, but hopefully not enough to detract. I didn’t see any major “stuff” inside. I vote to go forward with it.

I decided to give him the green light. I figured why not, right? :) You never know unless you take a chance. He said he won't be able to get to it for at least a week, so now the waiting begins. :whistle:
Oooo exciting-I can't wait to see the finished project!!!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for taking us on this journey with you!! can't wait to see how this comes out.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Super curious to see how it turns out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results