shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing step and brilliant cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Hiya! My search-fu is weak and I couldn''t track down any threads dealing with this topic...

What do people think about mixing a step cut centre stone with some sort of brilliant cut sidestone?

I am looking at getting an emerald cut sapphire about 1.6ct for the centre stone set east-west with smaller diamonds for side stones set in white gold. Step cut traps seem the logical place to start looking for the side stones but I''m curious as to the look of a brilliant side stone...maybe trillions? Any pictures of step cut centres with brilliant sides would be most appreciated ie Show me the ring
2.gif

Cheers,

Pieface
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a round brilliant center brilliant cut traps but I was sorely tempted by step cut traps for a moment in time. Really, though, I like the way the traps compliment the center stone in terms of cut so I have come to prefer brilliant with brilliant and step with step. Just my opinion though.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of both brilliant with brilliant and brilliant with step (providing the center stone is not overpowered). It''s basically personal preference, though I think the size of the stones and they type of setting have a lot to do with it.

I really do LOVE step cuts with sapphires! But sapphs look great with brilliants too... I''ll take a sapph any way!

I have a brilliant (square) center and told the designer I want step traps rather than brilliant traps... I''m still tempted to go all brilliant... but I sure love the contrast of brilliant with steps.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Great set there samii. Thanks for posting the link.

I guess I''m thinking more down a three stone look but at least I know now that it has been done.

Any more comments are welcome...99 views and 2 replies, lol!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies Pieface for not having any pics, but a friend of mine has a princess cut with a slightly smaller RB on either side, all bezel set. It looks FABULOUS, and is unique but wearable, in the sense that it''s the classic three stone, but with a real twist. I have seen an emerald cut solitaire with RB sidestones, the sidestones this particular one had were too small IMO, only about a quarter of the length of the emerald cut. I thought they''d look better at roughly half the length, JMO of course. I loved the look!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to see step cuts with brilliant cuts. It makes for a very interesting look.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I have a EC er with a RB bead-set wedding band, and here is why I love them:

The sparkle of an EC is subdued and understated. It's beautiful, like one of those prisms that you'd play with in grade school.

But the sparkle of an RB is like a disco ball. And disco balls are fun.

Put them together, and it's a beautiful party.

Kidding aside, after I got my EC, there was a little pang of "why didn't I pick a more glittery cut?" Pairing a non-step cut with an EC really does give you the best of both worlds and I think provides a very pretty balance. But, it really comes down to personal preference.

ETA: I realize that the center stone in this case is a sapph (what hue, btw?) but I think the same reasoning is totally legit :)

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input ladies. Particularly all those pictures you dug up for me chirp
36.gif
That art deco bezel set with half moons looks good. I saw some cadi cut sides on a site which is one I''ve never heard of before, it''s sort of between a half moon and a trap but still a step cut.

I also liked the one with the three small round brilliants set on each side. That''s cute and probably a bit more cost effective than the 2 trillions of the necessary size.

The other option I''ve been tossing up because of my desired east-west setting is to maybe channel set some baguettes or round brilliants into the band rather than sidestones. Maybe the three stone look will be a bit wide with an east-west setting...any thoughts? The sapphire is 8mmx5.05mm according to the vendor. My girl wears about size 7 3/4.

Heres an image of the stone. I have ordered the stone this morning so hopefully I will have it by Friday or early next week. It is an Australian parti-sapphire, fully natural with no treatments including heat. The colour may not appeal to everyone but I think it is fantastic, it looks just like the blue/green ocean on my monitor. The return policy is very good from the vendor so if I don''t like it return is no problem.

e925fbc74971856965ea0a24e90f3212.image.150x109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results