shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixed feelings about new pear setting...opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think the top and shank views are gorgeous, and that you are just not used to this look, nor the more hefty shank -- not that it is "hefty", but in comparison to what you previously wore.
BUT, I do think that the jeweler could "open" the part under where the stone is held to give it a more "airy" feel, as well as add to its aethetics.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Soooooooo....all day I kept asking people to try on my ring, so I could look at it from the perspective of others. And then, looking at it that way, I really did like the ring. But every time I put it back on my hand, it just looked different. And not in a good way. When I first saw the ring at the jeweler''s on Wednesday, I thought, "Oh no, it''s way too big." And I vaguely recall my husband saying something like, "Holy SH!!!" or something like that. I was too mesmerized by diamonds to really hear him.
3.gif
But I did feel slight dread in the pit of my stomach.

The next day (Thursday), after whining and crying that I did not have my ring for three weeks, I did not wear the ring. At first I figured that was because it was a little loose, I just wasn''t used to it, etc. But I wouldn''t have worn it today either if a coworker hadn''t asked me to, after hearing my whining over not having my e-ring for so long. And that''s when I realized, omigod - I don''t love this ring. And it''s my E-RING.

After not hearing back from the jeweler this afternoon, I just showed up there. So much angst all day, I couldn''t go the weekend without dealing with it. I told them my concerns, what about the ring I didn''t like, and basically, that it was much more ring than I wanted, and even though that might be great, it still makes the ring not exactly what I wanted. I did explain the whole cocktail ring look and how that wasn''t good for my e-ring. One of the girls there did mention that she could see on my husband''s face when I got the ring that he was upset I wouldn''t be able to wear my wedding band with it. I told her I noticed that too.

Sooooooo....after effectively already having sat on this for 48 hours, the ring is back at the jeweler''s, and they are going to make a new one. I really appreciate everybody''s opinions....they really affirmed what I was thinking, but kept pushing out of my mind by saying "hey, it''s MORE diamonds than you wanted." I NEVER THOUGHT I would say this, but there IS such a thing as too much bling...at least on one piece of jewelry.
9.gif
And if PSers can agree that the melee overwhelmed the stone, then I KNOW it''s true.

I also really, really appreciate everyone''s support, because nobody on the "outside" really understands how completely traumatizing this sort of thing can be! So thanks a ton!!!
face23.gif
emlove.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about that. I recently went thru the same thing, and I understand what a big disappointment it is. Hope the re-make is 100% what you want!
1.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
FireGoddess,

I, for one, know firsthand how traumatizing this sort of experience can be. In fact, I vowed never to do another custom piece again after my emerald cut ring didn''t turn out quite right. It was, amazingly enough, too much diamond for me too. I never thought I''d say that either, but it had that cocktail ring feel to it as well and I just couldn''t see wearing it every day. I felt like my beautiful EC was being overwhelmed by the mounting and side stones and felt sick everytime I looked at it. Now, there''s an aquamarine in that mounting and my EC is in a very simple setting. All of this is to say that I totally get it. And that wasn''t even my engagment ring! I hope the jewelers were very nice and understanding about it and I hope they''re clear about what you want now. Good for you for being able to tell them that this wasn''t what you wanted. That is very difficult to do and I think it''s great that you didn''t wait for them to get back to you. You definitely don''t want to have this one hanging over your head all weekend. Good luck and I can''t wait to see pictures of the new ring!!!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
FG-

I am glad that you found the support that you needed...and I am sure that the remake will be everything you wanted. I notice you are in my neck of the woods, perhaps after it is finished we should try to arrange for a Peninsula/SF/Silicon Valley PS get together so that we may all appropriately admire the new and improved blingage....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I do like the look as is. With or without the frame, there''s no room to mistake the large pear for anything else than what it is.

I wish the underside was not so chunky for practical reasons, but that must have something to do with my small fingers. If you can carry it painlessly, no reason give up the modern look. They could pave the side, I suppose, or apply engraving, both or neither. As is, you have surely got a cool ring there !
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
FireGoddess, I''m so glad that your jeweler did not give you grief over wanting the ring changed. You absolutely should be *in love* with your engagement ring. A cocktail ring (a/k/a right-hand ring) does not have the same emotional weight that an engagement ring does.

Having a custom ring made is not a cake walk, that is for sure. I tried having a custom ring made for my pear, and for me to say the ordeal went horribly is an understatement. Two attempts and an entire YEAR later, I have no ring -- just my diamond which is unset because my plain gold setting was scrapped in the process. After months and months of waiting, he finally refunded our money, but my emotions about my diamond and setting have been crushed. I''m meeting with my diamond dealer next week about a possible upgrade to a round, but if I don''t find what I''m looking for, then it''s back to the drawing board with my pear.

You are so right about no one on the "outside" understanding how much these decisions about our jewelry affect people like us. I think of myself as a jewlery enthusiast, and I want my diamonds and other jewelry items to be just a certain way. It''s no different than someone who is fascinated by art, cars, motorcycles, boats, or electronics, etc. I''m sure glad we have each other here at PS because those on the outside cannot be nearly as objective.

I''m rooting for you with this new setting, and I''ll keep my eyes open for the next set of pics.

DiamondLil

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like it just as it is but it might look daintier if the sides of the bezel had something going on? Kind of like that?
1236_3.jpg
R523A_a_2.jpg

It''s so hard to find things as examples for others because I tend to pick the things that I know I like and not what someone else might like.
But I think you have a beautiful ring.
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Oops..I should have read the entire thread.
emembarrassed.gif

I can''t wait to see the new pictures of it when it''s finished.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2005 8:56:51 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me
It''s so hard to find things as examples for others because I tend to pick the things that I know I like and not what someone else might like.
There are some very nice things listed on the "Masterpiecejewelers" website... thanks for the hint !
5.gif

Do you know these guys ?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2005 1:25:23 AM
Author: FireGoddess

the ring is back at the jeweler's, and they are going to make a new one.
Oups! haven't seen this.

What are the doing to the ring ? Starting over ?

If the style is about the same, perhaps it would help to specify a certain size for the frame around the center stone (or the small diamonds paved on). The millgrained edges add significant width to micropave as well.
Mary Alaina's ring (LINK) has the pave bezel well less than 3mm wide (perhaps 2mm). It may be worth asking
34.gif

Her ring has 0.6cts of pave according to the PS post. The micropave setting at DCD is evern daintier (they say 0.4 carats for a similar split shank pear setting). The small diamons next to the pear do not sit between platinum borders (the edges are "bright cut" instead) and thta should contribute to the light feel of the ring.

E7L.jpg

There's a version with the center stone set in a basket setting (link) without the paved frame using 0.3 cts of pave. That is very little! The setting should be quite dainty.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
oh, you must be so relieved! And I am so happy for you. the jeweler sounds like a straight up guy and I am highly confident you will get what you want very soon!

I can really appreciate the dread feelings...I had a ring once that didn''t come out the way I wanted and I felt so bad becasue it had been months of re-dos and I was really nitpicky....I actually started crying at the jewelers...they were great and it all worked out but like a fool I didn''t sleep for 2 nights before I finally just went there and talked to them!

I really can feel your "peace" through cyber space!
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Well I hope things turn out the way you want them. It is such a downer when you don''t Love your diamonds. Oh the thought!
Hang in there. We''ll get ya through it!
41.gif
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Glad this worked out for you! Will you be able to see the wax before so you can advise/inform the changes?

cheers--Sharon

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 9
6.gif
4:29 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/12/2005 8:56:51 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me
It's so hard to find things as examples for others because I tend to pick the things that I know I like and not what someone else might like.
There are some very nice things listed on the 'Masterpiecejewelers' website... thanks for the hint !
5.gif

Do you know these guys ?
Nah, I don't know them. They're just lurking about in my massive jewelry list in my favorites file
4.gif
heehee
And YES! They do have some great stuff on there. I saw an eternity band in there that I would give my left pinky toe for...I don't need it anyway...the toe that is
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am so glad your ring is back at the jewelers and they are going to make it over for you. I hope you can see the wax molds, just in case any tweaking needs to de done. Good luck!
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, add me to the list of those who had bad custom experiences -- you can see that you are not alone and this is just the nature of the beast when it comes to custom work. I have had a few pieces that required re-makes because they omitted or changed my requests. Then, for my last project, I waited months, it was a comedy of errors, and I, too, was really "traumatized" over the whole custom thing and was afraid to ever do it again.
I would find tons of photos of the elements that you like (it doesn''t all have to be in one picture), and tell them you like this aspect in this photo that does "this", and you like how this "line" in this photo looks this way, etc. Give them as much info as you can.
And, I woudl follow the advice of others here who said you should go in to see the wax. If you like the wax (or when they have made modficiations to the wax to your liking, then request to see the cast piece before they set stones and do the finish work on it -- no point in them going through the whole process if you don''t like how the cast piece looks, etc.
It will get right, you just have to be patient, which I know is really hard.
Hang in there!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Fire Goddess: I think this terrifc news. I think you have a great jeweler because he didn''t give you any problems about redoing it. Are you keeping the halo? Is he just going to make it smaller? I think the new ring will live up to your expectations. Good luck!

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE it! I never get dressed up but I love my pretty jewelry. I''d wear it everywhere.
30.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
36.gif
But I''m glad you went with your gut and will get something you will truly love. I can''t wait to see it!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, you guys make me feel soooooooooo much better about this. I could actually feel my blood pressure going down after I went to the jeweler's yesterday. The very first time I went to the jeweler's I brought in a collage of 7 or 8 pictures of what I wanted and told them which elements from which rings I liked, and then we talked about all these elements in the design of the new ring. I expected to see a wax. But I got a phone call one day saying, "your ring is being made as we speak" and I had a slight heart attack because there was no communication between the first brainstorm meeting and the casting of the ring! I kept calling back saying things like, "just to check, the bezel is not very wide, is it? The milgraining is on the halo and the shank, right?"--things that should have been verified PRIOR to them casting the ring.

Anyway, I told them that this time, I really need to see the wax, because I don't want this to happen again. And they realize that now, after my having had to return the first ring. The plan is still to have a halo around the stone, but very very small--1-1.5 mm tops, very delicate, very small stones. The pear, instead of being bezel set, will be raised slightly above the melee in a pronged set (2 prongs and a v-tip) to accentuate the stone. I really didn't like her bezel set in there...I think she felt claustrophobic.
9.gif
The shank will also be much thinner--that first one measured in at 3.5mm. We had originally agreed upon 2-2.5 mm. So, way too big. I told them I wanted a very delicate shank, maybe 2 mm at bottom, that tapers at the top. The gallery will not be solid platinum this time, it will be filigreed. And the shank will not rise up to meet the melee on top, it will curve and attach at the bottom.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am still completely petrified of this project. Knowing I will see the wax is the only thing keeping me from just wanting my stone back and huddling in a corner for a week.

valeria, thanks for posting a profile view of the microset pear from dcd. Now I see how a ring would fit under it. I also think the stones around my pear were at LEAST 4 pointers...I'm looking at half pointers right now. I just wanted to dress her (pear) up, not upstage her!!!!! It's amazing to realize that there's only .4 ct in that split shank pear....less than half of what I had in my single shank version.
diamondlil, I hope you find your round...though I will be sad to see your pear go. It really is quite a job to properly house them though, and I hope I don't find myself with an unset stone a year from now!!!!
2.gif

jenwill, when this is over, a bay area get together would be fab! I will need a stiff drink I think.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know your scared, anyone would be,but it sounds like you have a great plan of design, you''ve communicated exactly what YOU want so all will be fine. Seeing the wax mold should put your mind at ease. Also the jeweler sounds like a nice person to work with. At least he did''nt give you any grief over changong the setting. Take a deep breath, It''s going to work out!!
35.gif

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
firegoddess, I''m sorry to hear about the first ring but I''m very delighted that your jeweler was so understanding and willing to make another ring. You can''t ask anything more out of a jeweler. The new one that you describe sounds beautiful! I hope it turns out just as you invision it to be. Keep us posted!!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Oh Firegoddess, i feel for you!! I think your new "design"sounds beautiful and alot more dainty. I am in the process of having a ring made as we type! I know how it is to have this image in your mind of the ring you dream of and how hard it is to convey exactly what you want. I have been to the city 7 times, which is a 3 hour round trip, I had the jeweler modify the wax atleast 3 times and I am still so nervous that it isn''t going to be like I imagine! I am worried about the "costume jewelery look" and concerned about the shank width too. I am actually having a ring made that sounds very similar to what you are having done, although I have a RB and the pave'' around the center stone will be on an angle. It is such fun and so stressful at the same time!! Best of luck to you and I can''t wait to see the new ring.
Lisa

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Firegodess, I've never had a custom ring made, but I worked with Michael E to achieve the look when I snuck my split claw prongs in, and he was a gentleman all the way to hear my wants and try to work with them, all this without personal contact. Sounds like you have an awesome jeweler!

I'm so relieved for you. Like Jenn said I can sense how much better you feel about it. I could also feel that sick feeling that you had to bear for those two days prior to talking directly with them. Sounds like they are worth the business, to provide the service and to really be able to listen to their customer. Kudos to them!!!!
36.gif

About the ring, your description of the new design sounds lovely and I can't wait to see it. While I thought the original ring was lovely, I can see what you felt about "too much." I think that had all to do with the bezel set, combined with the halo stones being bigger than the shanks. (look at me, talkin like I know all about bezels
9.gif
). Seriously though I may not know all that much about bezels and pave, but I know what my eyes like. It's all about proportion in many cases and in your case perhaps a proportion adjustment was all that was needed.
1.gif
Although I've seen many love looking bezels (only here on Pricescope
9.gif
) bezels give a chunkier look to begin with sometimes, so having it prong set and raised slightly will really soften the look. The new ring sounds very delicate looking and I can't wait to see it!

We're all pulling for you. Good luck and try to get some sleep now until the new one arrives.
2.gif
And I think you have a very sweet DH to support you through it and want to make sure you are happy with your ring.
36.gif

~kmom
35.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
aww, FireGoddess! I am glad they are so open to getting exactly what you want- I''m sure they won''t mess up again since it must be a pretty costly mistake for them. I can''t wait to see the new ring- I am sure that it will be PERFECT
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with getting this second setting just right. While I personally love bezel set styles, I have to agree that they can be too chunky, if you don''t get the thickness just right.

My Edwardian style rings are both bezel settings but the bezel rims are so fine that you can hardy notice that they''re there when you look at them from the top. They look less intrusive than prongs! However modern bezels seem to be much chunkier and can overpower the diamond.

Again, the thinner the band and halo, the bigger the centre diamond tends to appear. I think that you''re doing exactly the right thing having everything done much finer.
21.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
FireGoddess, I''m so glad that you went to the jeweler and took care of your ring. I understand how these things can drive you crazy!

I had my wedding ring remade into a custom setting in 1998. I remember I had to choose between having the side diamonds pave set or channel set. I went with pave in part b/c the jeweler so highly recommended it. When I picked up the ring and brought it home, I was sick. I thought it was "too much." I remember I did not sleep that night at all b/c I was so worried about it. The next day I went in and asked him that if I changed my mind, could I go with the channel set side stones? He graciously said that they would do whatever it took to make me happy. I was SO relieved!

Well, I decided to wear the ring a bit and I ended up loving the pave! I''m so glad now that I did not go with the channel setting, but I''m also glad that I could have if I''d wanted to.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Yay Firegoddess! I''m so glad things are working out. It sounds like you have a great jeweler, he handled the situation very well. i totally agree with you and everyone else that although beautful, the priginal design was "too much" for your pear. The new design sounds gorgeous! I can''t wait to see the pics! I hope the wax is what you expect and things can keep rolling forward.
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results