shape
carat
color
clarity

Minimum Specs for an Asscher Cut Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringyoda

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m looking for a 1.5 carat asscher cut stone for an engagement ring and would like to get your opinions on the minimum specs that I should get for the stone.
Cut?
Color?
Clarity?
Girdle? -thin, thick?
Cutlet?
Symmetry?
Polish?
Depth?
Table?
And can someone explain what is important in an asscher cut? Is a higher ratio better? lower ratio?
Thanks!!!

Yoda

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
H or higher
vs2 or higher
table 56-63
depth 60-70
polish/sym vg/vg
girdle: med or sl thick or thick
crown height 10%+
l/w of 1.00 to 1.03
get pictures!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 2:15:18 PM
Author:ringyoda

And can someone explain what is important in an asscher cut?
Yoda
patterns and crown height.

ringyoda

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. How do you measure crown height? where is this spec?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 7:52:02 PM
Author: ringyoda
Thanks for the info. How do you measure crown height? where is this spec?
need to have the vendor run a sarin scan to get the data or at least side pictures.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 2:46:56 PM
Author: strmrdr
H or higher
vs2 or higher
table 56-63
depth 60-70
polish/sym vg/vg <--- or better of course
girdle: med or sl thick or thick
crown height 10%+
l/w of 1.00 to 1.03
get pictures!!!
clarified.

ringyoda

Rough_Rock
Thanks Strmrdr

Can I get your opinion on this? I was shown an asscher cut the other day with these specs

F
SI1
Polish VG
Symmetry G
table 63
depth 73.1
No culet
Non flouresc.

Its a little outside the specs you mentioned, but would you rule it out? The guy quoted me a price of $9400 with a platinum antique looking setting. Do you think the price is fair, or am I paying too much for the depth of the diamond?

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate your advice!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi ringyoda,

I''m not strm, but as a fellow asscher owner, I did think I could give you some feedback on those specs. I''m not sure if you know this or not, but asschers face up smaller than all the other shapes. So, I noticed that you''re looking at a stone with a depth of 73, which I would not recommend.

When we shopped for my ring, I thought I wanted a 1.5 carat asscher. When they brought it out, my fiance thought it looked small, and asked for a bigger one. We bought a 1.64 with a 72 depth, and it ended up facing up the same as about a 1 carat round. Everyone thought my stone was around a carat, which annoyed my fiancee because it was much bigger. When I said I wanted 1.5 carats, I wanted it to LOOK that big. We ended up having to trade it in for an asscher 2.2 carats with a 69 depth to get something that was more of the visual size that we expected.

So, if you''re OK with a smaller facing up asscher, that a depth over 70 should be OK, but the ring will look a lot smaller than what you''re paying for.

Also, I doubt you would want to get an SI asscher, unless it''s eyeclean once set. If it is, though, then you could get a great deal, as long as you can''t see the inclusion.

Just my .02 ...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 9:53:35 AM
Author: ringyoda
Thanks Strmrdr

Can I get your opinion on this? I was shown an asscher cut the other day with these specs

F
SI1
Polish VG
Symmetry G
table 63
depth 73.1
No culet
Non flouresc.

Its a little outside the specs you mentioned, but would you rule it out? The guy quoted me a price of $9400 with a platinum antique looking setting. Do you think the price is fair, or am I paying too much for the depth of the diamond?

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate your advice!
little deep and I dont trust si1 asschers to be eyeclean, vendors claim they are out there but I havent found one yet.
eycleanish yea but not eyeclean.

ringyoda

Rough_Rock
Thanks Strm and Lorelei

ringyoda

Rough_Rock
thanks vesper

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results