shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet my buddy George!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the spirit of all the wildlife-themed threads we''ve had around here lately, I thought I''d introduce you all to George! He''s a tiny snail who lives in the orchid pot next to our kitchen sink. Seriously, I didn''t know snails could be this small!
23.gif

DH bought me that orchid for my birthday about two years ago, and it hasn''t flowered since we first got it, but George has been with us ever since! I noticed him very shortly after DH brought the orchid home, and I thought, "OMG, he''s adorable!" I hadn''t seen him in quite a while, but he''s been coming out to say "hi" a good bit this week. He usually burrows into the moss in the flower pot, and we sometimes don''t see him for weeks at a time. He often drops out through the hole at the bottom of the flower pot, and I find him sitting on the kitchen counter when I go to put the flower pot in the sink to water the orchid, and then I have to carefully put him back in the pot! You just never know when he''ll turn up!
2.gif

Here he is sitting on the edge of the flower pot he calls home:

GeorgeOnFlowerPot.jpg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, being the good little PSer that I am, here's a pic of George on my e-ring! LOL! (For reference, the center stone of my e-ring is a 0.75 carat radiant, so you can tell how wee he is!)

ETA: Hello, huge pasty hands! IRL, my hands aren't this huge and pasty, I promise, so quit laughing! LOL!
25.gif

GeorgeOnEmmsRing.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is itty bitty! Ah cute! hehe
35.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 8:37:28 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
OMG! He''s tiiiiny! LOL Aw.. you have a pet snail.. AW!!!
face23.gif
LOL! SDL, leave it to you too find a snail emotie! I
emlove.gif
it!!!
9.gif

Actually, we have several pet snails (besides George). We have three fish tanks in our house: a goldfish tank in our living room, a saltwater tank in our dining room, and a freshwater tropical tank in our bedroom. The living room tank has one snail, the bedroom tank has two snails (Goldie and Kurt
9.gif
), and the dining room tank has a BUNCH of snails!
26.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
He is so wee! What a cutie.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, he is SO tiny! I think half the time he''s out and about, DH and I just don''t notice him because he''s so wee!
23.gif

He is a cutie, though, and he''s not afraid of people . . . he''ll crawl right onto your hand if you ask him to!
1.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 8:42:17 PM
Author: ladypirate
He is so wee! What a cutie.
Hee hee! Thanks, LP!
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
oh how cute is George! I didn''t realize they could get that tiny either! He fits on you diamond--how crazy!
1.gif

Very sweet!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 8:42:23 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Skippy, he is SO tiny! I think half the time he''s out and about, DH and I just don''t notice him because he''s so wee!
23.gif

He is a cutie, though, and he''s not afraid of people . . . he''ll crawl right onto your hand if you ask him to!
1.gif
Wow, how long have you had him? 2 yrs? I wonder how long they live. Just be careful not to squish him!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 8:44:27 PM
Author: coatimundi
oh how cute is George! I didn''t realize they could get that tiny either! He fits on you diamond--how crazy!
1.gif

Very sweet!
Coatie, I know, isn''t that wild?!?! I had no idea they could be so small, let alone small enough to fit on a diamond! LOL!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 8:44:46 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 8/6/2008 8:42:23 PM
23.gif

1.gif
Wow, how long have you had him? 2 yrs? I wonder how long they live. Just be careful not to squish him!
Skippy, I think DH bought me that orchid for my 28th birthday, which was a little over two years ago. (That would have been May 31, 2006.) I''m assuming George is the same snail I saw when we first got the orchid, so I guess he''s about two years old! I didn''t know they lived that long, and you''re right . . . I''m always paranoid about squishing him!!!
32.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 8:51:03 PM
Skippy, I think DH bought me that orchid for my 28th birthday, which was a little over two years ago. (That would have been May 31, 2006.) I''m assuming George is the same snail I saw when we first got the orchid, so I guess he''s about two years old! I didn''t know they lived that long, and you''re right . . . I''m always paranoid about squishing him!!!
32.gif
It says they can live 5 to 10 years! http://www.somers.k12.ny.us/SIS/MAIN/sis/research/gr.3research/snails/snailquestions.html#live

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 9:02:19 PM

32.gif
It says they can live 5 to 10 years! http://www.somers.k12.ny.us/SIS/MAIN/sis/research/gr.3research/snails/snailquestions.html#live
YAY! Long live George!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks for the snail facts, Skip!
35.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, he is adorable!! That''s so funny that you named him George... That''s what I named my turtle tattoo!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 9:12:02 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Oh my gosh, he is adorable!! That''s so funny that you named him George... That''s what I named my turtle tattoo!
Cool, Tuckins! You have a turtle tattoo? You should post a pic . . . as long as it''s in a G-rated place! LOL!
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 9:09:19 PM

Skippy, I think DH bought me that orchid for my 28th birthday, which was a little over two years ago. (That would have been May 31, 2006.) I'm assuming George is the same snail I saw when we first got the orchid, so I guess he's about two years old! I didn't know they lived that long, and you're right . . . I'm always paranoid about squishing him!!!
32.gif
YAY! Long live George!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

35.gif
LOL, see vivacious and adorable, you are; you crack me up!!! haha
9.gif
Long live George!
41.gif
emcocktl.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 9:18:59 PM

Date: 8/6/2008 9:09:19 PM

32.gif
YAY! Long live George!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

35.gif
LOL, see vivacious and adorable, you are; you crack me up!!! haha
9.gif
Long live George!
41.gif
emcocktl.gif
Awww, vivacious AND adorable?!?! You''re too sweet!!! LOL!
hug.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. George is ADORABLE! I can''t believe he''s been hanging around for 2 years! That''s awesome!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
George is cute!! Gives meaning to the saying love all creatures great and small.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
30.gif

He''s so adorable! I think it''s just precious how he''s lived there since you first got your plant, and the pic of him chillin'' on your ring is priceless.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love George! But you must be keeping him on a strict diet. Snails in my yard seem to triple in size every week. This guy has kept his self tiny for 2 years!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA HA HA HA HA, he is so itty bitty. too cute..... wonder if he is a little baby.

Linda

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello George!!! He is so cute!! I want one!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet his feed bill is cheaper!
2.gif
25.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing2 ~ Thanks! Ya know, I was worried that he was gone for a while, because I hadn''t seen him in quite some time. But, he popped out last weekend and again last night, so I''m glad to see he''s still here!
21.gif

Kaleigh ~ Yep, all creatures great and REALLY small! LOL!
2.gif

WT ~ Thanks! I just HAD to get that ring pic . . . I was trying to think of what I could put him on or next to to show his size, and then it dawned on me! LOL!
9.gif

Swingirl ~ Actually, we never even feed him! I think he just eats the moss in the flower pot . . . I''m a horrible snail momma!
emembarrassed.gif

Linda ~ I was wondering the same thing! He does seem a little bit bigger each time I see him, so maybe he is a baby? If so, I wonder how big he''ll get?!?!
23.gif

Maisie ~ I know what you mean! I keep telling DH that I want to get a little clear box of some sort and make him a better home . . . that way we can keep track of him, too!
2.gif

Lorelei ~ LOL! Yes, George is definitely much less high-maintenance than Red is!
20.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LMAO! You have a pet snail. He''s so little!

DH buys me orchids instead of regular flowers. There''s a store nearby that has them for really cheap. They last longer, although I still manage to kill them, LOL!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2008 9:18:30 AM
Author: geckodani

DH buys me orchids instead of regular flowers. There''s a store nearby that has them for really cheap. They last longer, although I still manage to kill them, LOL!
LOL! Dani, our orchid is still alive (in spite of the fact that I have a black thumb), but we can''t get the darn thing to flower, no matter what we do! We''ve tried natural light, artificial light, fertilizer . . . NOTHING works! It sends up new shoots and new leaves, but no flowers. Ugh! Well, at least we have George! LOL!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 9:40:39 AM

Date: 8/7/2008 9:18:30 AM
Author: geckodani

LOL! Dani, our orchid is still alive (in spite of the fact that I have a black thumb), but we can''t get the darn thing to flower, no matter what we do! We''ve tried natural light, artificial light, fertilizer . . . NOTHING works! It sends up new shoots and new leaves, but no flowers. Ugh! Well, at least we have George! LOL!
9.gif
I heard humidity helps. I killed my orchid; they don''t do well here in the Southwest (no humidity). I love Orchids thoug!!! Beautiful! hehe

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
snail? what snail? haha. i can''t get past your GORGEOUS GORGEOUS ring!
30.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy~

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I''ll move the orchid (and George) to the bathroom so it has more humidity. I thought next to the kitchen sink would be OK, but I guess it''s not humid enough there. I do have one of those little mister bottles and I spray the orchid (and George) a couple times a week. Hmmmm . . . maybe I''ll have to start spraying more, too?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results