shape
carat
color
clarity

McCain Campaign Suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does everyone think about the McCain campaign suspension? Is he running scared because he''s down in the polls? Trying to educate himself on the economy so he stops making uninformed statements? Do you think the strategy will work for him or will it backfire?

I think it will probably backfire (and is already starting to), but I''d love to know other people''s thoughts!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
But more importantly, did anyone see Letterman last night? McCain was supposed to be the guest and he bailed on Letterman because he said he was "on a plane back to Washington." Until Letterman found out he was doing an interview with Katie Couric and showed the live feed of him sitting there getting ready. Needless to say, Letterman was pretty hilariously ruthless with jabs like "What are you gonna do when you''re president and the going gets tough? Suspend the presidency?" Below is a link to Huffington Post with a few YouTube clips of Letterman:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/john-mccain-cancels-lette_n_128998.html

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 9:21:36 AM
Author: thing2of2
But more importantly, did anyone see Letterman last night? McCain was supposed to be the guest and he bailed on Letterman because he said he was ''on a plane back to Washington.'' Until Letterman found out he was doing an interview with Katie Couric and showed the live feed of him sitting there getting ready. Needless to say, Letterman was pretty hilariously ruthless with jabs like ''What are you gonna do when you''re president and the going gets tough? Suspend the presidency?'' Below is a link to Huffington Post with a few YouTube clips of Letterman:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/john-mccain-cancels-lette_n_128998.html
It''s a joke, but it''s a good freaking question. Why is he incapable of doing both?

http://www.slate.com/id/2200867/

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s definitely interesting. I don''t think he''s running or just trying to be dramatic, but I expected people to accuse him of that. We''ll see.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is very odd that it would happen when Obama is up 9 points in one of the polls. Especially after McCain said the "fundamentals of our economy are strong" and the deal is being close to done already without McCain or Obama. I find it very odd indeed. I think that the President should be taking care of this crisis, but he's clearly not qualified to do so. I think the debates should go on, but I'd like to see them include the economy in the debates and not just foreign policy. Why postpone the debates? Our presidential nominees should be able to do more than one thing at a time.

Personally, it reeks of being a political stunt (ala Rove - if you ask me), which I think is awful, especially since this is a very serious situation. The Obama campaign reached out to the McCain camp at 8:30 am yesterday, the McCain camp didn't return the call until 6 hours later and then as soon as they agreed to a working together, they pull this stunt. And I think it's a stunt, which is sad. It doesn't seem like McCain had any control over his campaign anymore. But the joke here is he's not suspending anything. He still did interviews with Katie Couric.

That said, I'd like to see this mess solved, I'm sure we all would. But I think they are pushing this plan through too fast. I hate that the government is trying to get everyone in a panic when we really need calm, smart heads to prevail.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 9:20:58 AM
Author:thing2of2

I think it will probably backfire (and is already starting to), but I'd love to know other people's thoughts!

I agree. SurveyUSA interviewed 1000 adults after McCain's announcement yesterday afternoon, and only 10 percent said they feel the debate should be postponed.

Source

They're delaying the inevitable. His numbers are down, and they'll sink further after Palin is finally allowed to debate, if ever. Her planned interviews with both Gibson and Couric were disappointing, and I assume she'll do even worse live.

We'll see what happens. You know, after McCain returns from saving the country.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
As I said in the debates thread, it''s all about the economy and how each of these candidates is dealing with the current situation. We can talk and they can talk until cows come home, debating whatever. The country is looking at each of them to lead here. That will require them to change their plans and address this first.

Surely, we all know that our economy will have a dramatic effect on our national security. How can you debate that topic if you overlook a crucial moment, a turning point, in the economy?

It should not be ''business as usual'' among the candidates. It should be back to work for the candidates. After all, they are still senators.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 12:56:40 PM
Author: HollyS
As I said in the debates thread, it's all about the economy and how each of these candidates is dealing with the current situation. We can talk and they can talk until cows come home, debating whatever. The country is looking at each of them to lead here. That will require them to change their plans and address this first.

Surely, we all know that our economy will have a dramatic effect on our national security. How can you debate that topic if you overlook a crucial moment, a turning point, in the economy?

It should not be 'business as usual' among the candidates. It should be back to work for the candidates. After all, they are still senators.

Even if people think that McCain justifiably needs to be in Washington, back to work doesn't mean suspending campaigns though...last time I checked McCain had a running mate who isn't a senator and doesn't need to be in Washington...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Correct me if I''m wrong, but I was under the impression that McCain isn''t on any of the relevant committees. His presence in Washington isn''t necessary.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 1:28:01 PM
Author: EBree
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that McCain isn't on any of the relevant committees. His presence in Washington isn't necessary.
That's my understanding, as well.

Even if one were to argue that these two are the most capable politicians in Washington (not that anyone is, or would), there would still be plenty of other people equally (and even better, IMO) qualified to handle this particular "crisis." The whole of congress does not stop functioning just because they're missing two senators.

Yes, they should do their jobs to the best of their ability... but if there's any time to put your "day job" on hold (and let other people manage in your absence) to focus on securing what is arguably the most important job in our country, it's NOW.

He wants to suspend his campaign until this economic crisis is resolved. What does "resolved" mean, exactly, to him? Until they solidify the plan to resolve it? Until they start seeing improvement? Until the economy is back to "normal"? If it's either of the latter, the election could be over by then...

ETA:It's a stunt, born out of ill preparation for the debate, in my personal opinion.

(also edited to clarify my wording)

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 1:28:10 PM
Author: musey

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I was under the impression that McCain isn''t on any of the relevant committees. His presence in Washington isn''t necessary.
That''s my understanding, as well.

Even if one argues that these two are the most capable politicians in Washington (not that anyone is, or would), there would still be plenty of other people equally (and even better, IMO) qualified to handle this ''crisis.'' The whole of congress does not stop functioning just because they''re missing two senators.

Yes, they should do their jobs... but if there''s any time to put your ''day job'' on hold (and let other people manage in your absence) to focus on securing what is arguably the most important job in our country, it''s NOW.

He wants to suspend his campaign until this economic crisis is resolved. What does ''resolved'' mean, exactly, to him? Until they solidify the plan to resolve it? Until they start seeing improvement? Until the economy is back to ''normal''? If it''s either of the latter, the election could be over by then...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, for McCain to allude to the idea that he can swoop in and save the day here is ridiculous, under the circumstances (that he's not even part of the relevant committees, as Ebree brought up). He's even admitted himself that he's not well versed in topics surrounding the economy--so why should we believe that this "crisis" is actually a legitimate reason to completely suspend one's presidential campaign?

To take his statement at face value, and not think about the underlying motives, would be naïve, IMO.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
You''re correct. As I said yesterday, there is literally nothing for him to do.

He also hasn''t set foot on the Senate floor since April.

Anyway, the latest reports are that a plan has taken shape and will be presented today.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This debate cracks me up...
The truth is that this mess is going to extend well into the next presidents term. it took Japan 5 years to recover from the same thing happening.
It has come down to a negotiation between Bush and congress and they both are in the senate and what ever is decide will have a huge impact on the next administration.
They need to be there and part of the solution both of them.
I don't like McCain much but this does show leadership that I look for in a candidate.

Could it possible be that he cares about the country and wants to help?
Naw that cant be he is a republican... right?

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 1:44:11 PM
Author: strmrdr
The truth is that this mess is going to extend well into the next presidents term. it took Japan 5 years to recover from the same thing happening.
It has come down to a negotiation between Bush and congress and they both are in the senate and what ever is decide will have a huge impact on the next administration.
I don''t like McCain much but this does show leadership that I look for in a candidate.

I''m happy for them both to be here in Washington. They can also take a 2 hr flight to MS afterwards to make a 9 pm debate tomorrow night.

I just read that McCain''s planning to fly to MS tonight.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 1:52:52 PM
Author: Krissie
I just read that McCain's planning to fly to MS tonight.
I feel like his whole statement of canceling the debate/suspending the campaign just makes him look silly. The debate is obviously going on as planned, and I'm sure he'll continue to campaign. Maybe he'll make another statement on Monday claiming that the crisis is now resolved--look at how quickly things move with John McCain returns to DC!!
3.gif
That way he can appear to have followed through with his plan of campaign suspension (for the 5 days it took to "resolve" the entire economic crisis...)
20.gif

I think he can better help his country by appearing as scheduled for debates and campaign events. Through each appearance, he is (in theory) helping voters make a more informed decision as to who they want leading their country for the next 4-8 years. That is not a process to take lightly, and in this situation, I believe it takes precedence.

By backing out (or attempting to back out) of an appearance that is very often a make-or-break type of experience for many voters, he is robbing them of a chance to see both candidates in a very necessary light (head-to-head debate) that will further illustrate the differences between them.

Like I said, there are already people appointed to congressional committees to handle this situation--he isn't one of them. His place is at the debate, not trying to butt in on legislation that he is, self-admittedly, not qualified to play any decisive role in. As much as he may want to "help" (if that's the justification we're going with), that is not the best way for him to do it at the moment.

In my humble opinion, of course.

All of this is under the assumption that he has to choose--be present for congressional votes, or run a presidential campaign. Obama has more successfully done both for the past year than McCain (Obama's missed 295 votes as compared to McCain's 412 missed... McCain hasn't voted since April, Obama's last vote was in July... and who has been actively campaigning for a greater amount of time?), so maybe for McCain it DOES have to be a choice between the two.

Obviously, some people can handle both, and some can't.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock

I don''t like McCain much but this does show leadership that I look for in a candidate.

36.gif
36.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 1:17:28 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 9/25/2008 12:56:40 PM
As I said in the debates thread, it''s all about the economy and how each of these candidates is dealing with the current situation. We can talk and they can talk until cows come home, debating whatever. The country is looking at each of them to lead here. That will require them to change their plans and address this first.

It should not be ''business as usual'' among the candidates. It should be back to work for the candidates. After all, they are still senators.

Even if people think that McCain justifiably needs to be in Washington, back to work doesn''t mean suspending campaigns though...last time I checked McCain had a running mate who isn''t a senator and doesn''t need to be in Washington...
The Veep candidate is a candidate only because of the presidential nominee. There is no campaign without the nominee. Biden can hide his light under a bushel too for right now. Actually, I think Obama may prefer that he did!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that McCain isn't on any of the relevant committees. His presence in Washington isn't necessary.
Both nominees are invited to the White House with others for a meeting this afternoon. You can be sure, this being a critical election issue and all, both parties will make damn sure that their candidate is fully involved in anything that goes on. At least, they should be thinking in those terms.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree. why wouldn''t they both want to be there and have a say in what will be a huge piece of legislation that whomever wins will inherit and be responsible for. Also, they both with get the credit or the blame if it works or it doesn''t. I want them there..both of them..

I hope the debate goes on..but calling Mccain unprepared or scared is silly. It''s on his strong point and he made the offer to do TownHall mtgs with Obama a long time ago and Obama declined.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 4:00:17 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I agree. why wouldn't they both want to be there and have a say in what will be a huge piece of legislation that whomever wins will inherit and be responsible for. Also, they both with get the credit or the blame if it works or it doesn't. I want them there..both of them..

I hope the debate goes on..but calling Mccain unprepared or scared is silly. It's on his strong point and he made the offer to do TownHall mtgs with Obama a long time ago and Obama declined.
I agree...those townhall meetings would've been TRUE debates. I also think it's silly that people are acting like this moment in Washington is like ANYTHING that has gone on in recent memory. This isn't something you can do from your Blackberry - this is a recession we are talking about. It doesn't matter to me how many times they vote in the smaller issues if they don't show up for this one; one that will affect literally everyone in the United States. Being down in the polls going into election can be a good thing; just ask Bush in 2004...if people are looking to these staged debates upon which they will base their choices then perhaps they need to just do some google-ing.

ETA: It's also hilarious that people think the only people who will benefit from any sort of bailout are those working in the company.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was no telling how long the negotiations on the plan could go on for. It was wise planning to suggest postponing (NOT cancelling) the debate. Honestly, I''d rather they focus more on working together to assist in developing a good plan than on having a debate. I personally am thrilled with the fact that they both wanted to be involved in the decision making (whether on committe or not).

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
This is laughable. McCain''s campaign is a mess. Now McCain is back on for the debates.

McCain Officially Going To Debate: The McCain campaign releases a statement saying that John McCain will attend tonight''s debate. Here''s an excerpt:
Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the Administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the Senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 12:06:13 PM
Author: goobear78
This is laughable. McCain''s campaign is a mess. Now McCain is back on for the debates.

McCain Officially Going To Debate: The McCain campaign releases a statement saying that John McCain will attend tonight''s debate. Here''s an excerpt:
Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the Administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the Senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.
Well, you can''t really skip a debate. What''s so laughable about it? He asked Obama to delay the debate and Obama declined; therefore, the debate must go on. I don''t see the problem...
33.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 12:26:41 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Well, you can''t really skip a debate. What''s so laughable about it? He asked Obama to delay the debate and Obama declined; therefore, the debate must go on. I don''t see the problem...
33.gif

Seriously? I mean he''s flip flopping all over the place. He said he wouldn''t debate until this bill was passed and now he''s going even though nothing has been signed. He is going back on his word and I have a problem with that. Honestly, he looks very confused and he''s all over the map. But that''s just my opinion. I''m glad the debate is going on and I look forward to hearing from both of the candidates.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Are you watching the same news coverage I am? ''Cause I''m not seeing McCain''s campaign in a mess. I see a Democratic candidate left standing there scratching his head, wondering what HE should do. But I don''t see any dithering with McCain.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 12:40:54 PM

Seriously? I mean he''s flip flopping all over the place. He said he wouldn''t debate until this bill was passed and now he''s going even though nothing has been signed. He is going back on his word and I have a problem with that. Honestly, he looks very confused and he''s all over the map. But that''s just my opinion. I''m glad the debate is going on and I look forward to hearing from both of the candidates.
I must''ve missed the article where McCain said "he wouldn''t debate until this bill was passed." All the articles I read stated that McCain wanted both he and Obama to go to Washington to help devise a plan and postpone the debate until one was reached. Obama declined, so it didn''t work. And don''t get me started on flip-flopping haha

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 1:16:36 PM

Are you watching the same news coverage I am? ''Cause I''m not seeing McCain''s campaign in a mess. I see a Democratic candidate left standing there scratching his head, wondering what HE should do. But I don''t see any dithering with McCain.

I guess we''re not. Are you watching Fox news? LOL.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results