shape
carat
color
clarity

Madoff gets 150 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 3:06:57 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Date: 6/30/2009 2:27:47 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 6/30/2009 2:16:51 PM

UGH, this man disgusts me. It''s little comfort to the victims to know that he''ll die in prison. So many lives just wasted...

Has anyone been reading the series of Madoff stories in Vanity Fair? I think they started 2-3 months ago. First story was a background piece on him- how the sting went down. Second story was from the POV of his long-time assistant. And this month''s story (July issue) is about his sons- did they know?

Fascinating reads, I highly recommend them!
Are there online links? I never read vanity fair...

TG, you read my mind! Right after I hit SUBMIT, I thought ''crap, I should''ve included links''

The Madoff Chronicles
The Victims
Did the sons know?
What the Secretary Saw
Thanks for these links. I''m only on page 3 of the first story, but wow. Or yikes!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 6:04:07 PM

Date: 6/30/2009 3:06:57 PM

Date: 6/30/2009 2:27:47 PM

Date: 6/30/2009 2:16:51 PM

UGH, this man disgusts me. It''s little comfort to the victims to know that he''ll die in prison. So many lives just wasted...

Has anyone been reading the series of Madoff stories in Vanity Fair? I think they started 2-3 months ago. First story was a background piece on him- how the sting went down. Second story was from the POV of his long-time assistant. And this month''s story (July issue) is about his sons- did they know?

Fascinating reads, I highly recommend them!
Are there online links? I never read vanity fair...

TG, you read my mind! Right after I hit SUBMIT, I thought ''crap, I should''ve included links''

The Madoff Chronicles
The Victims
Did the sons know?
What the Secretary Saw
Thanks for these links. I''m only on page 3 of the first story, but wow. Or yikes!
That was a lot of reading and it was definitely fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Madoff is one of the great crooks of all time, no doubt. But I think many of his victims were complicit in the Ponzi scheme. They had to have known that some sort of scam was going on. We''re talking about investors who for the most part were rich and well educated and probably knew that no investment system in the universe consistently returns 10% a year, no matter what''s going on in the economy. Any one of them could have blown the whistle and yet they all turned a blind eye to Madoff. Why? Because of the outsize returns they were getting. Why ruin a good thing, right? I do feel sorry for the victims (wouldn''t want it to happen to me), but some, if not many, of them bear a hefty amount of the responsibility.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sentence was just. Made my day.

As for the victims, I don't really want to kick someone when they're down, but I had to wonder what some of them were thinking. Hubby and I are invested, and I am FAR from totally knowledgeable about the stock market. But I do know one thing, if it sounds too good to be true..... His investments producing returns consistantly that nobody else could? Yes, that's a huge red flag.

For all who truly didn't know better, my heart goes out to them. For Madoff, I hope he rots in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results