shape
carat
color
clarity

losing my job (very upset)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just need to vent here:

7.gif
I've been having some troubles with my boss the past few months. LONG story short, she has some anger issues and was very difficult to deal with on several occasions. Well, she quit last week and I thought things were looking up for me. I went to speak with the "big boss" about how the other boss (who quit) has been holding me back and I would like to step up with more responsibilities but that I was concerned about my job due to things the other boss had been saying to me. And he came back at me with a "Well I was going to talk to you this week anyway because we will be letting you go at the end of this month" He claims its because of the fiscal year, but he is just making excuses because the other boss has been causing a lot of problems for me, before she quit she told the "big boss" what should happen within the department. The "big boss" is a 70 year old man who is just a temp. boss so he is quite impressionable. I get along with everyone else in the department but I just know this was the other boss's way to put the screws to me if you will. I was kind of hating my job anyway and have become extremely bored as the boss didn't give me many important projects to work on recently.

Well anyway, now Im incredibly discouraged because Im working in a tough industry and I had been looking for a job last year for a long, long, long time. Employers want a lot of experience in this field and thats hard to get when nobody gives you a chance. Its hard for me because I know I've got to start searching for another job and I feel like I dont know when I will find another one.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
It bothers me because Im turning 27 next month and I feel like something is always stopping me from starting a happy life.

I called my boyfriend and told him about it. He told me not to be sad or cry but I cant help it. Im trying to start a life for myself but it just seems like something always gets in my way. The way the job search goes for me, I feel like Ill never find another job and Ill never get my happily ever after. I also called my Mother which made me feel better too. But words of encouragement just dont sound too encouraging at the moment.

Im so upset and feel so down right now.
7.gif
7.gif
39.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww dream I am so sorry! That really sucks. All I can say is that when one door closes another opens. Take this as a sign that it was time to start looking for that job that you WILL be happy at.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is certainly very upsetting to lose a job even when you didn''t love it. I just hope there is a much better one out there waiting for you! {{{hugs!}}}

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, that stinks. Hoping you find another job soon, one that you''ll love and grow with!!!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I was 27 when I started a job that became a management position. Been in management ever since, with more salary and perks with each subsequent year and job change. Twenty-seven isn''t too old to change your life, start a new chapter, seek new opportunities, find out what you really want to do. And if you aren''t yet tied down to any degree with a husband or children, now is the perfect time for a change.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've never been "let go" of any job so I cant help but be upset.

neatfreak- Thank you for your support. I will try and think positively about the situation.

diamondseeker2006- I had thought about quitting last month because I couldn't handle my boss anymore. She yelled a lot and even threw paperwork at me for no apparent reason. I couldn't handle her anymore. I thought it would be better but this dreaded department is going through a lot of changes.

Kaleigh- Thank you, I only wished I could.

Holly- I like the industry Im in and pretty much just got started. I have roughly 2 years experience. I wouldn't want to switch to something else now. Plus, my boyfriend finally finished college in May and I don't plan on going back myself. Maybe my chances for getting another job have gone up since I have a little more experience. I don't know.

I have no idea whats going to happen to me now.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 2:14:48 PM
Author: HollyS
I was 27 when I started a job that became a management position. Been in management ever since, with more salary and perks with each subsequent year and job change. Twenty-seven isn''t too old to change your life, start a new chapter, seek new opportunities, find out what you really want to do. And if you aren''t yet tied down to any degree with a husband or children, now is the perfect time for a change.
I agree with Holly on this. My company shut down so we all lost our jobs; I was your age and I went back from more schooling which helped me land a great job. My heart goes out to you; I hope you find something soon. Hug and good vibes outgoing.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, Dreamgirl - but perhaps someone who works in your industry might have the name of a good recruiter? I''ve found one for my field, and he has found me amazing jobs within days when I''ve needed his services.

Ms.Dreamy

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry for you - but see it from the positive point of view: you weren''t happy there anyway. I know how hard it is finding a job and I am waiting for an answer about a job I am hoping to get too (and I didn''t get some jobs I applied for) - so I know how this feels...

I wish you all the best and that you''ll find a new job very soon. you have already 2 years of experience - I don''t know your field but as you are young, job experience of 2 years is very good.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Skippy- Thanks for the well wishes.

Lauren- Im not sure, I will have to ask around with a few people. Thank you.

dreamy- Your right, I wasn't happy and wanted to quit anyway. The only reason I was staying was for experience and because its a tough industry. Im in the design industry. Thank you for the support.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 2:32:47 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I''m sorry, Dreamgirl - but perhaps someone who works in your industry might have the name of a good recruiter? I''ve found one for my field, and he has found me amazing jobs within days when I''ve needed his services.
I agree with this--most industries have recruiters who are privy to job openings that you wouldn''t be able to find otherwise. I think developing a good relatoinship with a recruiter would be very beneficial for you now and even down the road.

I also agree with everybody else that you are very young and this may be a blessing in disguise...it sounds like you weren''t happy there and this could be a catalyst to get you in a job you love. I recently switched careers (not that you''re looking to do that) and my husband quit his job altogether with nothing else lined up--we are in our late twenties and feel that now is the time to get all of this stuff settled! The fact that you''re already in a field you love is fantastic and you''ll find another job soon...it just takes a little patience.

You''ve got until the end of the month, right? That''s a good amount of time to get some leads!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the comments. I can only hope it is a blessing in disguise. And yes, I have until the end of the month.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Aww, sweetie, getting let go is the worst! I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but I agree that maybe it will turn out to be for the best in the long run, once this initial period of stress over not having anything lined up passes. I know how that feels, and it is awful! Cry if you must (I know I have over that sort of thing), but don''t let it freeze you up--you have to get out there and find yourself an even better job than the one you just left. You can do it! You got this job, you can surely get another! If you''ve got friends in the industry, see if they know of any leads--oftentimes that is half the battle, when you find a job by word of mouth. Best wishes to you, darlin''! I know you will get through this.
1.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 2:32:43 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 6/10/2008 2:14:48 PM
Author: HollyS
I agree with Holly on this. My company shut down so we all lost our jobs; I was your age and I went back from more schooling which helped me land a great job. My heart goes out to you; I hope you find something soon. Hug and good vibes outgoing.
The magic number 27! I was 27 too when I left my first job and found the second. 10years later, I am still in my second job with a much bigger position and wider scope of responsibilities! Look forward to what this opportunity to find something else can bring you.. Best of luck!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Every cloud has a silver lining. At least you had some warning so that you can prepare.

Good luck, tons of ps fairy dust your way!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
gwen- Thank you for the encouragement. You are always so wonderful!

simplysplendid- Thanks, hopefully my story will turn out like yours!

iwanna- Thanks for the ps fairy dust! I need it for sure!!!!

I think on my way out the door Im going to talk to big boss and ask him to reconsider letting me go until the new big boss comes on board. I feel that it should be their choice to make and not his. They are very close to hiring someone new, so this person may start in July. Why not let me stick around until then?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh! I understand how you must feel. I have been let go from a job before. And while at the time it was very scary, I can tell you with true confidence it was the best thing that could ever have happened for me. I landed my dream job shortly afterward. And it dropped out of the sky...out of the blue! So you can never assume that anything is forever. Life changes so fast and unexpectedly! The other day, my friend, who had been single for 30 years -- just met the love of her life. Out of the blue! Life is crazy wonderful! You just wait and see.

So I promise you that if you keep your eyes open and your faith strong -- something INCREDIBLE could be on the horizon. And you will be so grateful that grace appeared in your life to separate you from a situation (that doesn't sound like it was too happy for you) that you weren't able to let go of on your own.

Once I stopped trying to drive and let God take the wheel, incredible things happened in my life. I just surrendered to a greater good and started TRUSTING that things would work themselves out.

And now when a situation is very scary and I feel like I'm freefalling, I stop struggling immediately and get ready for a big blessing. It's life's way of pushing you out and upward. Scary at first, but also a huge adventure. Most adventures are scary at first!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Bliss! You always say the kindest things. I will take what you told me to heart and hope that something better does come my way. Its so easy to lose hope in these situations. I really like what you had to say about grace appeared in my life to separate me from this situation. I hope that is so! Thank you so much for the support, I really appreciate it a lot.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl... You know how in a crisis or big change, you get heightened awareness? It's like your senses get very keen, like you can remember EVERY single detail before a car crash and time stops?

Don't lose your head! This is like one of those times. Now is the time to be VERY keen and open. Start thinking -- and being resourceful! It's like a gift when these sudden changes occur -- you can SEE possibilities in ways you couldn't before. You can dream up new ideas, shift your life... really go for what you've always wanted. Time stops and it's like you're in High Def!

If you seek it, the world moves in a way to make things happen. I've seen it too many times not to believe. It's like the world moves and shifts for someone with dreams. And if you have real heart, it'll REALLY move for you in ways you could never have imagined. Trust! Stop struggling and instead GET READY!

So start brushing off that CV, start thinking about contacts you can start working... it's go time!!!! Take an hour to despair and then SNAP. OUT. OF. IT. Be lean and mean like a fighting machine and believe in yourself! Be like a tiger! =D ROAAAAR!!!!!!! The world ain't seen NOTHIN' YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROAAAAARRRRRR!!!! LOL.

I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey I''m so sorry. I have a boss right now who has been trying to stab me in the back for months, so I can commiserate on that front. It sucks to think that you just got rid of her and things started to look up, and bam. I''m so sorry. I agree with the posters that say that you should expand you search. If you''ve been looking for a year and nothing has turned up maybe its an opportunity for you to look at something in a related field, or in another field altogether. You are young and that is a huge blessing, and as other''s have said, when one door closes another will open, just make sure you see it and recognize it when it presents itself. Also if you have people who you interact with outside your company (like clients, suppliers, customers, consulting firms, etc) see if any of those you''ve worked with and have a good impression of your work have any suggestions. ((HUGS)).

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Dreamgirl so sorry to hear the news.

I too worked in design right out of college: prod. asst. for 2 shoe designers akin to Manolo.
Right around the corner from Tiffany''s and above corporate for Chanel.
I hated it!!!!

The 2 designers ordered everyone around, slept w/ the staff at the actual store down the block
and had 2 underling designers who were so stuck up and ridiculous.

We were stuck in this dark, nicely decorated office, with a loud, obnoxious accountant down the hall.

I lasted 2 months and then activated my acceptance to Grad School that fall. I didn''t stay there either but that''s
another story.

Looking back I don''t know how anyone survived there. I guess they had to as they had families & kids.

So look at this as a blessing in disguise. I''m sure you will find something more suitable and less toxic.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bliss- Thank you again so much for the help. You are absolutely wonderful! Im so glad I have this PS community.

Gypsy- Its so terrible that shes gone and now I dont even get a chance! I thought Id go into work today and start over if you will, step up and prove that I deserve to be there but got railroaded instead. I've had this job for almost a year. Before this job is when I was searching and searching. I hate to have to do it again, but it was something I had planned on doing sometime anyway. Its just not the place for me. I never felt like I fit in at this place, I took that as a sign. Thank you for the advice!

Lisa- This industry is definately tough and jobs are hard to come by, especially with the economy right now. I guess thats why I get so discouraged. I thank you so much for the support and your story. It really does help me feel better. Hopefully I do find something more suitable and definately less toxic. I deserve to be treated better because I have always had such respect for my fellow employees, including the awful boss I had. I always try to go through life with a smile on my face and give nothing but kindness to others. So I guess its the end of the road here for me. I only hope I can find something wonderful and be happy.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 2:25:40 PM
... Plus, my boyfriend finally finished college in May and I don''t plan on going back myself.
Do I understand that you haven''t finished college and gotten a degree? If so, then you need to do that. Seriously. In 2008 you will always be at the bottom of the pile of resumes without one. In my corporation (of 130K people) we won''t even consider anyone without a degree for any position. It doesn''t have to be a business degree, it could be English Lit. for all they care, but no degree = no interview.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DreamLADY....

What an opportunity you have....

You now have the freedom to start looking for a job and not worry about what your current company thinks if they find out.

Getting laid off is tough. Getting fired tougher. I know, been there done that to both.

But, I was able to turn those into positives - but it took some time and some work.

Living on Unemployment Comp is not fun (nor is going backwards financially) I''ve done that a few times too.

OK, you''re likely going to be in for some rough times. Tough times don''t last - but tough people do. So face up to the fact that you will have to tough it out. Everyone (but losers) like a person who toughs it out. Here is your chance to show what you are made off (and I know you can do it).

First big question: What would you really like to do (and not just because you like the job). There used to be a job hunting book "What color is your parachute" I''d get a copy. New if its still in print (it used to be updated annually); but even a 20 year old one will work for what I''m about to suggest.

In the back is a section about determining who you are and what kind of places (environments) you naturally work best in. Completing the exercise was very hard for me - and took months because I was a stubborn Jerk and did not want to change. But in the end I build my "flower diagram" (or a chart in my case).

Once that is done you will be able to define the types of jobs - and locations - you should be looking for (there is no reason for me to look for a job in a big city).

I have made more money, advanced farther and faster, and had a lot more job enjoyment since.

Also, you have 2 years experience in your current field. Most people who are eager to move up do so by changing jobs. 2-3 years is when they change jobs. If you are really looking to move up in your field. You have the minimum recognized experience in a lessor position to approach other companies in the field about a job with more responsibility. Companies are looking for people who are looking to move up (ever wonder why your boss''s new boss is being hired and not promoted - the company wants someone with an outside perspective).

Best of luck here - except luck has nothing to do with it. Go out with a positive attitude and find a better job. I also suggest you largly forget about staying where you are. You might be granted a month or so reprieve; but, it is almost certain that your carrear their is over. Remember life is not fair - and you get what you negotiate for.

PS: don''t even think of badmouthing your previous supervisor or manager again. Just say that we did not match up well - and be ready to describe where you would match up well.

Perry

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
purrfectpear- Yes, I have my degree.

perry- Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find that book and check it out. I actually wont get unemployment comp because I was working (just under) to be considered full time. Sneaky how companies work. The American dream died years ago in my opinion. That is quite unfortunate.

My family and boyfriend helped me feel better last night. My boyfriend said the sweetest little thing to me yesterday when he walked in the door......."You still have me"
30.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DG I just read your post in RT.

What about going into jewelry design and working for Tiff''s?

Is this crazy or what?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
lol I spoke with my Mother about that last night. I told her I wished I could work at Tiffany's. Id be happy there. But Im not extremely close to our Tiffany's and my Mom thinks maybe when things slow down at Tiff's they might cut hours back, etc..etc...She also said it would be boring and I looked at her and said are you kidding me? I could never get bored there lol

I still have the thought of it in the back of my head though.
31.gif
lol

Oh, it would be awesome to work there part time and then do freelance work from home. lol Who knows.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t think they are gonna go "down the tubes anytime soon" their stock just went up.

Also they are expanding into the right markets - losing some if not all of thier exclusivity but gaining Room 2 & 3 customers
by the truckload.

Keep the pos. vibes going!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Im so sorry!I have been unemployed for several weeks and finding positions in the jewelry trade in this econony has been difficult!Especially because i cant work Sundays and most jewelers are open on Sunday in my city.Please dont get down over this....it will affect your job seeking skills...you will do just fine and the next job will be better then the last!This last company held you back and its good that you are rid of them!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
lisa- Oh, I know Tiffany''s is here to stay! lol
31.gif

jewelerman- This company was holding me back, quite a bit in fact. Even though Im upset about it, I know its for the better. I wasn''t all that happy here to begin with. I do only hope the next job will make me happy! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results