shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Narrower windmills... I don''t like this one as much either. I''d pick the H.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.63 ct
has some miscut facets and its a J.
If it was me id snag the first one and be happy ever after :}

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
when i saw that first stone, i didn''t think you could get any better. the other two are nice but the first one is amazing!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still like the 1st one best ... but am also a SIZE HO ... if I had this choice I might select #2 ... even though I prefer the look of #1 & prefer "H" in a stepcut to "I" or "J" ... JUST BECAUSE #2 is .5mm larger and over the 1.5 ct mark.

Don''t like #3 much. So at least that''s out of my figuring!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I don''t like the narrow windmills either.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree, I don''t like the narrow windmills as much.

Here are the red photos of all three (they are in different order), I don''t remember what those are called.

sidebysideweb.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
The patterns are just so lovely with the first one (the H).

My preference is actually the order you posted them:
1- H
2- I
3- J

The I is OK--it''s not as stunning as the H, but the pattern is still nice. If you''re really going for a larger carat weight, you might consider it.

I say nuh-uh on the J. Aside from the lower color in a step cut (which sometimes is irrelevant--look at Tierhog''s 1.96 royal asscher J) the windmills are narrow and the pattern is just not great.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is my dilemma. The vendor who can see all the stones in person thinks the 1.57 I looks better than the 1.29 H. We all agree the 1.63 J is not in the running. Do I go with vendor's recommendation? Do I want to actually view these myself up close (and end up sending one back?) Do I request a better photo since I agree with everyone the H looks much nicer in the photo. Could it be a poorly lit photo?

Could a stone look better in person than the photo shows? Is my vendor hoping I will go for the larger more expensive stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can do it, I''d take a look in person and send the other back, if it were me. If the vendor says one thing, and the pics say another... you need to just decide with your own eyes, IMO.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I second that. Don''t know if you followed TierHog''s Generic/Royal asscher SAGA, but he was deciding between some amazing stones and ultimately his eyes were SO KEY in the decision.

I think they will both be a winner, but since the H pics seemed so much better and the jeweler is the only one with the in-person advantage, just get them both in to check out and send one back. SOunds like the safest bet.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its possible that is some lighting they would look pretty close.
They are both drop style but in lighting where the windmills come into play the 1.29 should look better.
Also it apears a little brighter in the center from better angles on the bottom row of facets.
The slightly larger size might be a decent trade off but I would pick the 1.29 myself.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:31:49 PM
Author: Gypsy
If you can do it, I''d take a look in person and send the other back, if it were me. If the vendor says one thing, and the pics say another... you need to just decide with your own eyes, IMO.

I "triple" ... is that what comes after "second"-ing
3.gif
? COULD you swing looking at both in person?

Also: curious ... How big is the price difference? That would probably play a part in my decision as well.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/2/2006 10:07:12 AM
Author: swingirl
Should I have more than one vendor look for me? Do they all have the same sources or do they work with different diamond suppliers?

Many of us work with some of the same vendors and some of us work with some completely different vendors, it is not something we can give you a blanket answer to.

Ask your vendor of choice to contact Daniel K, I just looked at a BUNCH of very nice Asscher cuts at their booth in Vegas. I believe the show ended today or possibly tomorrow, but they will have a bunch of them when they get to the office next week.

Wink

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 12:17:36 AM
Author: Wink

Should I have more than one vendor look for me? Do they all have the same sources or do they work with different diamond suppliers?

Many of us work with some of the same vendors and some of us work with some completely different vendors, it is not something we can give you a blanket answer to.

Ask your vendor of choice to contact Daniel K, I just looked at a BUNCH of very nice Asscher cuts at their booth in Vegas. I believe the show ended today or possibly tomorrow, but they will have a bunch of them when they get to the office next week.

Wink
Great advice Wink. You saw those stones and they sound amazing. That said, I''m loving the H 1.29. The others aren''t speaking to me.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 12:17:36 AM
Author: Wink

Wink

Wink,
Im well aware of DK asschers they have about a 20% reject rate for not meeting my standards which is slightly better than the other 2 cutters of consistant ex/ex asschers.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
So is the concensus to get the 1.29 H or look at Daniel K stones from Vegas? I''m not sure I would recongnize anything better than the 1.29 H although I do recongnize the ones that aren''t cut as well.

Once I make the purchase of the stone I will be looking at settings. Should I start a new thread for that? I want to see photos of things people have done with asschers. Examples of set asschers are harder to find.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I can tell ya is what Id do:
If the color, clarity, size and price are in the range you want them in then the 1.29 is a sweet diamond.
Your not going to find many better cut and spend a lot of time looking.
If the other specs arent what you want keep hunting.

There are a ton of asscher pictures in the show me the ring forum.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just an update. I bought the 1.29 H. WF was great. Molly and everyone there made it all very smooth. Thanks to PS for giving me the confidence to buy over the internet. I never would have considered it without the help of all you fine folks who post comments, photos, opinions, links, vendor recommendations and personal experiences. I know it''ll raise a few eyebrows when I tell my friends and family that I got my diamond off the internet. But I don''t care. I know what I got and I love it. Plus, I got to be way more involved in the selection than if I looked at 2 or 3 stones at a jewelers. And we know how many of them keep asscher cuts in house.

Thanks to all and now I will be moving on to find a setting!
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 6:59:59 PM
Just an update. I bought the 1.29 H. WF was great. Molly and everyone there made it all very smooth. Thanks to PS for giving me the confidence to buy over the internet. I never would have considered it without the help of all you fine folks who post comments, photos, opinions, links, vendor recommendations and personal experiences. I know it''ll raise a few eyebrows when I tell my friends and family that I got my diamond off the internet. But I don''t care. I know what I got and I love it. Plus, I got to be way more involved in the selection than if I looked at 2 or 3 stones at a jewelers. And we know how many of them keep asscher cuts in house.

Thanks to all and now I will be moving on to find a setting!
1.gif
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! And who cares if eyebrows are raised. WF isn''t JUST an internet vendor (nor are so many other PS vendors) they just happen to have their offices in another state
31.gif
31.gif

We can''t WAIT to see more pics of that baby! Awesome!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates!!!
Post pictures when you can :}
The gals around here are awesome on helping people with settings so if you want start another thread on it. :}

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, how exciting. Congrats!!!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS!! That is wonderful.

Can''t wait to see your setting choices!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! I got my asscher from WF too and they were so great to work with and I can''t take my eyes off it. I am sure you will be happy with the 1.29 and I can''t wait to see pics!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You are going to have to wait for pictures. I realized my Canon Powershot does not have a macro setting. Any suggestions for a camera? I know someone mentioned another Canon model but what does well with macro?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which Canon Powershot model the ones I looked at had macro?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it an Elph? They got macro. It's the green flower setting.
2.gif

ETA: and with that H....you definitely got the best of that bunch, hands down.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My camera is a PowerShot A510. Got it a little over a year ago. It has 4X optical zoom but I don''t see anything that looks like a macro setting. Honestly I can''t tell what all the little icons represent but there is no flower.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Gypsy - nothing will keep us from pictures!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results