shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi folks,

I have been lurking around PS for a while, read a lot about Asschers and am ready to buy from an internet vendor. However, I am having trouble finding anything. I found 5 stones I''d like the vendor (PS recommended) to call in but 4 out of 5 are not available although the info about these stones still shows up on internet sites. What is everyone''s experience with stones being listed for days or weeks after they are not available any more?

I am looking for a 1.25-1.5 ct, G-I color, VS1-SI1. I am picky about the cut and proportions and plug in table and depth percentages wherever possible. Only a few show up and they seem to be unavailable. I want to get photos to look at as well.

I guess this process can take a while. I''m in no hurry but am spending a lot of time on the internet hunting around. I also tried local jewelers but they don''t carry many Asschers and all seem to tell you the one they do have is the best out there.

Any suggestions?

Alberta

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, today I found out the the only stone I had asked to be called in last week is now spoken for. So how does one go about finding a stone when the internet lists continue to post stones that have been bought? And how often do they get a new batch? I have done so much research and read almost every posting about Asschers, but now can''t find many at the size I am looking for.

Alberta

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The PS database is updated twice a week.

Pick a vendor and tell them what you''re want, so they can do the work for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Storm who posts here is extremely knowledgeable about Asschers so when he sees your thread he will be able to help you too. He has helped many folk here find some outrageously beautiful Asschers so get his input and advice if you can. He should be here later and see this thread.
1.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I have picked a vendor and am working with them through phone calls and emails. It is a PS vendor that gets a lot of kudos here. But everytime we find something it is unavailable. And my vendor held off for a week after I said "bring it in" so now that one is gone. Is this common?

Maybe I am thinking this shouldn''t take as long as it really does.

Alberta

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
And yes, I am hoping to have something to post so Storm can check it out. I have read many of his posts and know how knowledgable he is on Asschers. I just need to actually get a hold of some.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I understand great Asschers are highly desirable and in short supply right now so this might take a little patience to find the one, but you are several steps ahead of the game anyway with being here and contacting the vendors who know what you are looking for. You will find your Asscher!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Should I have more than one vendor look for me? Do they all have the same sources or do they work with different diamond suppliers?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 10:07:12 AM
Author: swingirl
Should I have more than one vendor look for me? Do they all have the same sources or do they work with different diamond suppliers?
some share the same sources and some also have their own suppliers. it could be beneficial to open up your options.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 10:07:12 AM

With asschers not having as many suppliers as rounds they would often be chasing the same stones which can lead to hassles.
Best bet is be patient and work with one vendor but carefully chose the vendor.
You need a vendor that has enough of a relationship that they can call the cutter and see what is actualy available and get on the waiting list if what you want isnt available.
In some combos they are sold before they hit the lists which is what your running into.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, that''s good to know, especially the part about being sold before it hits the lists! I am working with WF and have given them real specific criteria (based on everything I''ve learned on PS). Thanks for everyone''s input. I will stick with one vendor for now but keep my eyes open. I don''t want any conflict with everyone chasing the same stone. I guess I will just need to be patient until the inventory improves. But it''s not easy looking at all the beautiful stones and settings on PS!!
19.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow Asscher lovers!

I found a stone. I have one today and possibly 2 more tomorrow. Please give me your opinions.

measurements: 6.12 x 6.11 x 4.11
depth: 67.3%
table: 60%
girdle: thick
culet: none
polish: excellent
sym: excellent
VVS1
H
fluor: none

H1.29romaine.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
And here is the Sarin report which I don''t know how to evaluate but maybe someone else does.

SARIN_H1.29romaine.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one word:
Yummy!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another word:
Gorgeous!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
So you think it''s a good one? It''s so hard to tell without seeing it in person but I like all the measurements and the center pattern, which, according to everyone one here with asscher experiance, is the real deal breaker.

The other 2 I have called in are larger and, of course, more expensive. So I am excited to be able to compare them.

DI40XT_GIA14135041.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
MAN-A-LIVE ... that''s a BEEEEUUUUUTTTTTIIIIeeeeeeeee.

Deeply cut corners, great light dispersion, neat&even steps .. EX/EX??? Can you say: RARE!!! Not to mention ....

As a GIA "H" VVS1 Asscher gal myself ... I think its a "sweet spot". People will poo-poo the clarity tax of being one step away from IF ... but, when I looked at that clear baby through the loop - breathtaking. It''s a super open cut to begin with, not many places to hide inclusions!

WOW I
30.gif
it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Is 0.5 mm a noticable difference for an asscher?

I am going to be looking at a couple stones. This first one is 6.12 x 6.11. The other is 6.56 x 6.54. It seems like a big difference when I look at the numbers. But I just got out a steal ruler that shows millimeters and 6 mm and 6.5mm is visually pretty darn close. Once in a setting, I wonder how much larger the larger one will look.

Can anyone tell me whether this amount of size difference is noticable when a stone is set?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 8:12:44 PM
Is 0.5 mm a noticable difference for an asscher?

I am going to be looking at a couple stones. This first one is 6.12 x 6.11. The other is 6.56 x 6.54. It seems like a big difference when I look at the numbers. But I just got out a steal ruler that shows millimeters and 6 mm and 6.5mm is visually pretty darn close. Once in a setting, I wonder how much larger the larger one will look.

Can anyone tell me whether this amount of size difference is noticable when a stone is set?

.5mm in a 6mm range stone is visible.
You have pictures coming of the other?
Go for the best cut one it will make the bigger differnce.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Go ahead and check out the other one, but here''s my response to the one above: "Oooooh, MOMMMY!!!!!"

It''s, to quote the doctor (the doctor of storms!!): KICKIN''!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Gosh - just looking at the picture you posted I thought - this is one asscher where if Strm says it''s bad I have got to know why - because it looks AMAZING to me. Just perfection. Holy moly.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I am pleased with all the positive feedback. Thanks to all especially Storm. I am glad I passed on that first one you commented on.

I get 2 more (hopefully) tomorrow and will post the pictures and specs. Of course, being individual pictures I can''t compare them as if I had them in person and could line them up. I don''t know if the photos are always taken at the same distance, probably not. But, geez, tenths of millimeters are pretty small.

I learned, by doing my research, to look more closely at the stone''s dimensions than the carat size because my first stone was very deep and I feel I got cheated out of the visual size. I didn''t know no better! But now I do!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi. Today I got 2 more stones. I need opinions!

1.57 ct
color: I
VSI
table 64%
depth 66.7%
6.54 x 6.52 x 4.35
polish: VG
symmetry: VG
girdle: Med-STHK

DI40XT_GIA14295924.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the tweazer photos are very good.

DI40X_GIA14295924.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Sarin for 1.57 I asscher

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what happened.

SARIN_GIA14295924.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the H better than this one the steps looked brighter to me... I think they are two different styles bright drop for the I and a different (nicer, IMO) style in the H. Plus I don't like I's in asschers. That H was FABULOUS!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the 1.57 isnt in the same class as the other one.
Its not a dog but its not close to being as good as the other one.
I like the first one much better.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Now for the third stone.

1.63 ct
J
VSI
table 63%
depth 68.3%
6.56 x 6.45 x 4.40
polish E
Symmetry VG
girdle MED

DI40X_GIA14417975.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Sarin for 1.63 J asscher

SARIN_GIA14417975.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results