shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a pale pink stone for a LOGR setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve looked over so many threads and have a first colored gemstone project in mind inspired by Cellantani''s insanely beautiful LOGR ring with the pale morganite. I was thinking of maybe using a pale pink spinel as a stone, setting it in a rose gold LOGR legacy setting with a white gold band (customized two tone to go with my platinum wedding rings). Anyways, the problem is I can''t find a pale pink spinel so should I contact some vendors about getting one cut? Who should I contact? Would you all recommend a pink spinel? I was thinking that sometimes I''m a little forgetful so it might be more durable than a morganite and I was a slightly more vivid, but still pale pink ring. And a well cut spinel would be pretty sparkely right?

I was thinking of maybe waiting for a gem show, but given my level of cluelessness I thought I''d rather order from a cutter with a good reputation.

I hope Cellantani doesn''t mind me posting the link to her ring, I just love it.
30.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-set-my-morganite.117518/

I did order Richard Wise''s book - so I''m trying to learn!
34.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to ask the price range for such a stone and is it wierd to ask for a 7mm cushion which I''m assuming would fit into the LOGR setting without modifcation, rather than a specific carat size??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2010 12:10:50 AM
Author:winternight
I've looked over so many threads and have a first colored gemstone project in mind inspired by Cellantani's insanely beautiful LOGR ring with the pale morganite. I was thinking of maybe using a pale pink spinel as a stone, setting it in a rose gold LOGR legacy setting with a white gold band (customized two tone to go with my platinum wedding rings). Anyways, the problem is I can't find a pale pink spinel so should I contact some vendors about getting one cut? Who should I contact? Would you all recommend a pink spinel? I was thinking that sometimes I'm a little forgetful so it might be more durable than a morganite and I was a slightly more vivid, but still pale pink ring. And a well cut spinel would be pretty sparkely right?

I was thinking of maybe waiting for a gem show, but given my level of cluelessness I thought I'd rather order from a cutter with a good reputation.

I hope Cellantani doesn't mind me posting the link to her ring, I just love it.
30.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-set-my-morganite.117518/

I did order Richard Wise's book - so I'm trying to learn!
34.gif
Barry Bridgestock does wonderful things with spinels. Maybe he can source some pale pink ones for you. He can be inquired at ACstones.com. He's fantastic, and I think he's very fairly priced. Pale pinks are not that expensive. It might be difficult to source one to cut in a cushion for those exact measurements however.

Yes, a well cut spinel would sparkle well, as long as it wasn't silky (some of them tend to have inclusions that give them a sleepy appearance), in particular in the tone you're looking for.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring. I think a pale pink spinel would look amazing in a setting like that and spinels are wonderful gemstones.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
+1 to TL''s suggestion of contacting Barry. And if he doesn''t have anything, Dan Stair also has very pretty lighter pink spinels. My pink spinel (2nd row, 2nd from the left) was cut by Dan - is that the color you were thinking? Or lighter?

And I never ask for particular carat weights when asking a cutter to cut me something - always mm - so I think asking for a 7 mm stone would be totally ok.

PC210040.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
browneyedgirl, that is close to the pink I''m thinking of, maybe even a touch lighter for me. Btw. you have a great collection, I''m in love with that amythst ring in rose gold. I''ve been looking at this stone too for a simple rose gold setting. I''m a little scared to pull the trigger on a stone. But the description on this one sounds really good. (Still interested in the baby pink but its easy to get a little sidtracked when you''re looking around.)

I don''t even know why I''m so into the rose gold, right now I have nothing in rose gold, although I do have some 22k pieces, so they would probably go well with the warmth of the rose gold.
http://www.finewatergems.com/amethyst.html

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi winternight - nice to see you here, and what an exciting project! Unfortunately, I''m on my BB, so I won''t be too wordy, but wanted to jump in and say hi. You''ve already gotten some good advice, and after the GTG, I meant to tell you that Intergem is good for just looking around, but for a project, I''d definitely recommend getting something precision cut. You can find better cuts at Intergem, but I''ve found that they''ll generally cost more. In addition to Barry, I like Gary Braun, and if he doesn''t have anything in stock right now, he might be able to pick something up when he goes to Tucson at the end of the month.

I''m really looking forward to following this thread!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
^^
Thanks!! I found alot of inspiration at the GTG. I tend to freeze up when given too many choices so I''m planning on mainly looking at Intergem.

Now I''ve found this tempting baby pink that I could put in a rose gold round halo LOGR. What you do all think??

http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5700

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
That tourmaline is a very pretty color, but I do want something subtle, just not so subtle it doesn''t give off a pink look against the rose gold. Is there a benefit to tourmaline vs. spinel? Would one sparkle more than the other?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Spinel would be both, more sparkly and more durable.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look for baby pink spinels. I''ve seen more and more lately on various websites. Check Dan''s inventory. He''s had some really pristine looking specimens. It seems he sold the pink spinel but there''s a pink/lavendar tourmaline available.

http://www.customgemstones.com/TOURMALINE/to1241.html

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
winternight, is there a particular LOGR setting you have in mind?

Tourmalines are nice, and you could definitely get one in the color you''re thinking of, but just be sure to ask the cutter about any color shift - they tend to turn more peachy in incandescent light. Some tourmalines have a very subtle shift, while others can turn almost brownish-pink. Actually, I''ve seen some spinels that shift a little too, so I''d ask about performance in varying light conditions for any stone.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to say that I was planning on 18k, but wasn''t sure how that effects the color of rose gold. I was hoping it would make it warmer and not brassy.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 11:36:48 AM
Author: winternight
I'm thinking of this setting that babyblue033 used. In rose gold as well.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-ive-been-holding-out-on-you-guys.123025/page-2
My gosh that's so pretty. I don't think using 18K will affect the shade of rose gold at all. Just tell them that you'd like a pretty shade of blush gold and not to make it too coppery or orangey. Like pink champagne or rose' wine. They are in complete control of the alloying process.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 11:38:47 AM
Forgot to say that I was planning on 18k, but wasn''t sure how that effects the color of rose gold. I was hoping it would make it warmer and not brassy.
Winter - Just directing your attention to this thread. Link LOGR''s rose gold is more of an orange gold. I would hesitate to use their setting if you want to emphasize the pink color.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 4:53:16 PM
Author: gemgirl

I don''t think using 18K will affect the shade of rose gold at all.
I would expect some subtle differences in shade between 14k and 18k rose gold. I was looking at metal samples yesterday at the jewelers, and the exact shade varies both with karat and with manufacturer.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 5:35:42 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 1/16/2010 4:53:16 PM
Author: gemgirl

I don''t think using 18K will affect the shade of rose gold at all.
I would expect some subtle differences in shade between 14k and 18k rose gold. I was looking at metal samples yesterday at the jewelers, and the exact shade varies both with karat and with manufacturer.
It will definitely vary by manufacturer. I have a friend who is a jewelry designer and she makes sure her rose gold is a blush color, even in 18K because her customers don''t like a strong coppery rose gold. It''s all in the alloying process.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I think I''m going to think this one over a little more. Meanwhile I ordered the amethyst that I linked to earlier on, so that may be my first project!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 3:48:53 AM
Ok, I think I''m going to think this one over a little more. Meanwhile I ordered the amethyst that I linked to earlier on, so that may be my first project!
Amethyst also looks good in rose gold. You picked a pretty one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results