shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookee what I got in the mail today!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL!

I attempted the tinfoil bezel..and it foiled the crap out of me. I can''t get the tinfoil to stay long enough to put the holder on..can''t get the tinfoil to stay, period. The JM is open on the bottom, so will that still let in enough light do you guys think?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty....love the color!!!!
30.gif

Lori

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty spinel, I like the color and it looks like it has a lot of sparkle and life.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:58:22 PM
Author: packrat
Thanks TL!

I attempted the tinfoil bezel..and it foiled the crap out of me. I can''t get the tinfoil to stay long enough to put the holder on..can''t get the tinfoil to stay, period. The JM is open on the bottom, so will that still let in enough light do you guys think?

He he. Foiled. I love it with the white gold!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lori and Ltl! It certainly is a sparkly sucker, yes!

Novel, seriously you should see me try to do it. I''m glad D&T suggested to do try it over the bed..my husband was laying there watching..not helping just watching, laughing at me. I think I''ll be smart and invent sticky tinfoil. Or Insta-Bezel.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Insta bezel! I''m a bezel freak (in my head and on only one of my fingers, but still). I would totally buy insta bezel from you. It could be the new Bedazzler.

Did you get any of it to stick? Would your CM have an open gallery? Is it still going to be a CM, actually? I know, its creepy, I''m a lurker. I''m trying to break the habit! If its an open gallery, you could maybe poke it through a hole in tin foil to see the effect. I''ve never done it, though, so I defer to you and D&T.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha maybe the Sham Wow guy could do a commercial for Insta Bezel!

Nah, the original setting I wanted was CM, but they only would work w/their own stones. However, James Meyer will work w/outside stones, and since I pretty much was doing an eeny meeny miney mo between the 2 to begin with..I did it over so it came out JM.

It''s the setting I posted on the page before this. Prolly wg like Coati''s but cushion like AJ''s.

I''m still wondering about plated v unplated. I thought the unplated might make it look..I dunno..more delicate? Not that it wouldn''t if it was plated..heck I don''t know..just a little something extra added I guess. Would it be harder to find a wedding band that looked good with it, if the ering is unplated? I can''t afford to have Jim make a custom band, much as I''d dearly love to!

I''d wanted rose gold accents also...but now I''m of the mind it would detract from the colors of the stone.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Novel, I''m a lurker mostly too
2.gif
I post every now and then, but I find I just don''t have much else to say, lol. now that semester has started back up I think I''ll be doing mostly lurking- bah!

Packrat, you are too funny! If I saw a commercial for an Insta-bezel I would die of laughter and then buy one
9.gif
I really like the gem you got here and I''m soooooo happy you finally found something you like, so yay!
I think maybe it would look good with a rose gold head and unplated white band... maybe? I don''t know, maybe I''m picturing it weird, but it looks good in my head kinda sorta... well anyways, good luck with the setting now that you''ve got the gem!

36.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if he''d make it annoying... probably. the Sham wow guy, that is.

I think my boss''s wedding ring is unplated, but its very, very plain, just a 2 mm rounded band. Got it, Coati''s setting (mmm, love it). I should have realized. The flair of the unplated is an added pop.

You showed the stone against a ring with rose gold, and I think the pink does look lovely. I have a soft spot for rose gold, but I agree that it takes away from the stone. The rose gold also, IMHO, somehow makes the stone seem less classy or formal, I think.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 10:22:51 PM
Author: kas baby

Novel, I''m a lurker mostly too

2.gif
I post every now and then, but I find I just don''t have much else to say, lol. now that semester has started back up I think I''ll be doing mostly lurking- bah!

36.gif

Kas! You were one of my inspirations for delurking :). But you have actual stones and the will to buy, whereas I have a teeny tiny collection and a suspicious of gemstone purchases boyfriend. Sigh. I think I found Packrat''s stone so pretty I just had to delurk!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 10:32:11 PM
Author: Novel

Date: 9/1/2009 10:22:51 PM
Author: kas baby

Novel, I'm a lurker mostly too

2.gif
I post every now and then, but I find I just don't have much else to say, lol. now that semester has started back up I think I'll be doing mostly lurking- bah!

36.gif

Kas! You were one of my inspirations for delurking :). But you have actual stones and the will to buy, whereas I have a teeny tiny collection and a suspicious of gemstone purchases boyfriend. Sigh. I think I found Packrat's stone so pretty I just had to delurk!
lol!! well I'm glad I've inspired you to become a part of the community, so, hello
35.gif

...now I'm curious, what post of mine 'de-lurked' you? (sorry for the threadjack, Packrat)

ETA: my collection is teeny weeny. I have a loose sapph, three rings, and a ruby lotus on its way to me. that's it! working on expanding the collection though
2.gif
FI is supportive and actually sad that he can't fund more to my hobby, lol, he's a keeper

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stones. I love the colors.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat, sorry for the threadjack, too. I''ll make it quick!

Kas, hi yourself
35.gif
!

I think it wasn''t one particular post so much as following your search and then realizing I wanted to say something when you got your unbelievably amazingly beautiful tdf sapphire. So I figured since I wanted to compliment that stone so badly and hadn''t, I really ought to say something about how much I loved Packrat''s!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread! And back to me reading the draft of my boyfriend''s dissertation...

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I definately know what it''s like rooting for people fom the sidelines... I''ve been followng Packrat''s search for a while now, and I''m soooo excited you finally found the one!! woohoo!!!
now I should be getting back to biochem...

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat, sign me up for insta bezel! LOL. Your spinel is so pretty. I''m a fan of violet spinels in all of their shades and have one in my upgraded wedding ring. I never tire of looking at it. I think it''s nice to have a really changeable wedding/engagement ring, because we look at them so much.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the spinel love!

Don''t worry about threadjacking guys-I like to hear the side stories!

Now that I have the stone, I''ll contact Jim and we''ll go from there. I''ll send him pictures too and see what he thinks about the gold colors..tho I''m still leaning towards wg unplated. I''ve changed my mind several times tho, so who knows what it will be.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel - welcome aboard! glad you are here.
35.gif

Pack - here is my DIY bezel...lol I won''t be giving up my day job
9.gif
thought this might help you see how I do my tinfoil bezel.

dtdiybezel09011.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi D&T, thanks!
35.gif
I''m glad to be here. I was so lurky I was starting to creep even myself out!

I may have thought that was a real ring, however briefly. Rustic rope setting, anyone?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2009 2:43:23 PM
Author: Novel
Hi D&T, thanks!
35.gif
I''m glad to be here. I was so lurky I was starting to creep even myself out!

I may have thought that was a real ring, however briefly. Rustic rope setting, anyone?
hahaa..lol.. I guess If I took more than oh five minutes, maybe I could make it look more realistic
31.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh duh, ok, D&T I get it. I''m such a gomer! I was trying to take the tinfoil and fold it so it was a long super thin piece and wrap it around the top of the stone. Der! hahaha what a dork I am, no wonder it wouldn''t work. hahaha ok, after I get the kids into bed tonight I''ll try again! Thanks for the pictures to explain it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2009 8:13:18 PM
Author: packrat
Ohhhh duh, ok, D&T I get it. I''m such a gomer! I was trying to take the tinfoil and fold it so it was a long super thin piece and wrap it around the top of the stone. Der! hahaha what a dork I am, no wonder it wouldn''t work. hahaha ok, after I get the kids into bed tonight I''ll try again! Thanks for the pictures to explain it!
lol... no worries, i was trying to think of a way just to do it and then have you do the ring holder, you can always bezel around the ring holder with the gems too, try that and see, have fun with it though..
1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I played around with Insta bezel today. To my eyes, it made the stone a little darker-mainly just less pink, more blue/lavender. Which was great, tho I''ve come to dig the pink. But, it seemed in the darkening, to make it less sparkly, and not so color shifty. (which I wasn''t sure I''d even want to begin w/but now that I have it I adore it)

I''m hoping that''s b/c the tinfoil pretty much covered the stone except for the top (table?) of it. Well, it was open on the underside, I guess, but not the sides. JM''s bezel just goes mainly around the..(gawd I really need to learn these terms finally)..girdle? So, there would be more light coming to the stone. I couldn''t seem to get accurate pictures. I think tomorrow I''ll make JD help me, like he was supposed to today, so I can do the same shots with and w/out Insta bezel.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Am I going to have to look for a prong setting instead? If I sent the stone to him, would he be able to tell me if it will be adversely affected?

I''ll go thru the pics I took today and see if I can find some decent ones to show.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Introducing...
Insta bezel!

100_14401.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_14661.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_14701.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_14711.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_14731.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty gems packrat! But please don''t use the ring gem holder on those gems, you can chip them, especially if they are softer stones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I planned on doing was doing a pic w/the tinfoil and then taking it off and doing the same pic w/out, to see if there was a difference. But that seemed like a lot of farting around, unless I was only going to do it a couple times. I did try to do some of the same areas outside that I''d done when I first got it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pack- I gotta say I love it~
9.gif
I really like the open pavilion and the bezel for sure. So if you can just have the pavilion open I don''t think it looks too dark at all. See if who ever you use can do that collette (spelling?) type bezel. Can''t wait for your ring! how exciting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results