shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR Diamond fell out after 6wks! advise please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baguettegirl

Rough_Rock
Hi, my husband bought a ring from LOGR 6wks ago for our anniversary which I was delighted with, BUT, a few days ago one of the diamonds fell out. When I emailed LOGR they would only offer 70% if I returned the ring and get this...wouldnt charge me for the missing diamond!! lol I also have noticed the huge hike in prices of their rings so would imagine after getting my ring back, he would fix it and then sell it for a much higher price than my husband paid for it (he paid $490) I dont want to give the ring back and after such a short time I thought they would offer to fix it...but they blankly refused. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of other online jewelers that dont charge a fortune to replace diamonds? I have to say, I am VERY disappointed with LOGR and the "after sales care" and would be interested to hear of anyone else this has happened to.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry this has happened - such a disappointment.

Can you post photos of the setting (or the LOGR picture) and tell us which diamond is missing? Some of the LOGR settings are cast and made with the diamonds in them so the prongs are much smaller than you''d normally expect. This isn''t usually a problem until a diamond falls out. It can then be tricky for a local jeweller to put a diamond back in because the prongs may break off or (if shared prongs) loosen other diamonds. However, nothing is impossible and I''m sure you could get a diamond put in locally and it shouldn''t cost too much.

Just as an aside, did you get LOGR to resize the ring for you? Re-sizing can cause diamonds to loosen if not done well. I would think they have stock settings in various sizes so this wouldn''t be an issue but who knows ...........

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow - what horrible customer service.

I don''t have any suggestions, but want to tell you how sorry I am you are having to deal with this - how stressful! I think your best course of action would be to visit several local jewelers and see what kind of prices they would charge for the repair, if it can be done.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2010 6:18:10 PM
Author:baguettegirl
Hi, my husband bought a ring from LOGR 6wks ago for our anniversary which I was delighted with, BUT, a few days ago one of the diamonds fell out. When I emailed LOGR they would only offer 70% if I returned the ring and get this...wouldnt charge me for the missing diamond!! lol I also have noticed the huge hike in prices of their rings so would imagine after getting my ring back, he would fix it and then sell it for a much higher price than my husband paid for it (he paid $490) I dont want to give the ring back and after such a short time I thought they would offer to fix it...but they blankly refused. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of other online jewelers that dont charge a fortune to replace diamonds? I have to say, I am VERY disappointed with LOGR and the 'after sales care' and would be interested to hear of anyone else this has happened to.
How large is the diamond that fell out? Is it a single or full cut stone? Actually, many companies will not replace a diamond melee in a ring (I doubt Leon Mege would either - someone correct me if I'm wrong), because it can always be attributed to abusive use. I'm not saying you abused your ring, but it cannot be proven, so that can always be a cause. Melee can always fall out of a ring, even in some of the best workmanship. I still think that a 70% refund is better than nothing, especially after you wore it for several weeks.

I have several LOGR's and some I wear on a daily basis, and have not had melee fall out. I'm not saying it can't happen, but for what I paid, I am thrilled with their workmanship. Even if a diamond fell out, I would probably look into sourcing the diamond myself, and having it repaired myself. These are not really expensive pieces that have limited lifetime warranties.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would ask a local jeweler to replace the diamond. I think that LOGR is being generous by offering you 70% back; you are outside of their 30 day return period, and I think that most other jewelers wouldn''t offer anything unless you purchased a warranty or insurance.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with you TL.

LOGR rings are nice but they are after all ebay settings. But considering they only have a 30 day warranty I also feel that the 70% offer was quite generous. It shows that they were at least willing to meet somewhere in the middle after their advertised warrantly period of 30 days.

I think prices are up mainly because the price of gold is up.

-A

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/1/2010 7:24:21 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
<
How large is the diamond that fell out? Is it a single or full cut stone? Actually, many companies will not replace a diamond melee in a ring (I doubt Leon Mege would either - someone correct me if I''m wrong), because it can always be attributed to abusive use. I''m not saying you abused your ring, but it cannot be proven, so that can always be a cause. Melee can always fall out of a ring, even in some of the best workmanship. I still think that a 70% refund is better than nothing, especially after you wore it for several weeks.
<

I do lots of yoga - including hot yoga and I run. It''s always shocking when I see women sweating like crazy and wearing jewellery. That''s just asking for melee to fall out, since the minerals and salts in your sweat, along with the Ph of your sweat can get right between the stone and claw. Over time it loosens even large, well set stones and melee doesn''t stand a chance.

Not saying you did that, but it''s so incredibly common that LOTG must see it frequently.

Cheers,

Lisa

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you guys really think those LOGR settings are much cheaper than having your local jeweler make the piece?

I know back in Buffalo I had a local jeweler who used to set stones for me, and he always charged much less than what I see people here spending for LOGR type rings. He could always fit any of my stones into a standard head setting too it seemed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2010 11:59:02 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Do you guys really think those LOGR settings are much cheaper than having your local jeweler make the piece?

I know back in Buffalo I had a local jeweler who used to set stones for me, and he always charged much less than what I see people here spending for LOGR type rings. He could always fit any of my stones into a standard head setting too it seemed.
You have an awesome jeweler. Even those inexpensive Chinese made settings at my jeweler cost at least three times as much as LOGR's. My jeweler wants at least $500 for a regular solitaire mount with a head, no diamonds. For custom work, the price is even higher.

I was at Walmart before Christmas looking for a Wii. Well, I took a look at their jewelry section for the first time. I wanted to do so since I always hear people compare LOGR's to Walmart jewelry. No way!! LOGR is so much better IMHO. They even wanted more for their crap than LOGR. I'm not saying LOGR is comparable to Leon Mege, but it's not as bad as what some people make it out to be. It's very nice quality for the money.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry this happened to you!

Is it melee or a larger stone?

Most vendors don''t replace melee. I''ve been wearing my wedding band with pave sections from LOGR for about 8 weeks now and it''s fine so far. I had great customer service from LOGR (though the language barrier was a small issue when my package got lost in the UPS system...)

I hope you find a good way to resolve this!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How disappointing for you. I hope you can find someone to fix it for you. I don''t know if I''d send it back but try to get it fixed locally.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seriously Gene there is NO WAY that I can have a piece made locally (with the diamonds) at the same price as LOGR. If I could, I would. LOGR are successful because I believe that none of us are able to match their prices.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hate you lost a stone; it does happen though; and if it is one that has a shared prong I would suggest going to a metal worker with a laser; they can zap a little prong head back on in no time and not worry about heating the rest of the ring too much... Plus they can check out the rest of the prongs to make sure they all have enough metal around the stones.
Just my opinion...

Well I finally had to set a center stone for a friend who bought one of their LOGR mounts; in all honesty I was expecting a piece of crap; as I set a lot of ADWAR and up mounts; yes all those 1 pt. and .5 pt. shared prongs, under the shank etc. real nightmares...

But I went over that mount with 40x and all the melee was set had plenty of metal around the diamonds, etc. Now of course my friend sent me a nasty mystic topaz ant. cushion square to go in a princess head on that LOGR mount; it was not fun but I made it where the prongs looked like little hearts when I was finished.

I polished it, steamed it, etc. and of course I used a wire basket trap in case one of those little 1 pointers came out; but I checked them all; used a pusher to make sure they were all tight and I have to say I was impressed as it was not as thin as I thought it would be and the diamonds were SI-1 H-I color and they may have been SI-2 and I-J in color but not terribly off.

Now that may have been one of their good ones; but in the future if I Wanted a inexpensive mount with real diamonds that were not frosty; and 14k I would have no issue in using one of their mounts.

Just speaking from experience here on setting stones in one of their mounts as i have never bought one myself.

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana thank you for your input. I would agree that most of the LOGR''s (especially if you upgrade the diamonds) don''t look cheap and nasty. Some of them even have a very surprising gold weight. I think the ones that can be "iffy" are when you don''t upgrade - it''s then a case of "take your chance"!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/2/2010 12:08:45 AM

You have an awesome jeweler. Even those inexpensive Chinese made settings at my jeweler cost at least three times as much as LOGR''s. My jeweler wants at least $500 for a regular solitaire mount with a head, no diamonds. For custom work, the price is even higher.

I was at Walmart before Christmas looking for a Wii. Well, I took a look at their jewelry section for the first time. I wanted to do so since I always hear people compare LOGR''s to Walmart jewelry. No way!! LOGR is so much better IMHO. They even wanted more for their crap than LOGR. I''m not saying LOGR is comparable to Leon Mege, but it''s not as bad as what some people make it out to be. It''s very nice quality for the money.

Maybe shop around. I sold a stone to a guy I worked with, he took it to my jeweler friend back in Buffalo to get is set in a ring. The ring was 14 kt gold, solitaire, no diamonds to distract from my stone. $115
This guy was a small, owner operator shop, nothing fancy, no suit or tie, just a guy behind the bench with a magnifier on his head and a dog laying on the floor chewing a bone.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 12:10:26 PM

You have an awesome jeweler. Even those inexpensive Chinese made settings at my jeweler cost at least three times as much as LOGR''s. My jeweler wants at least $500 for a regular solitaire mount with a head, no diamonds. For custom work, the price is even higher.

I was at Walmart before Christmas looking for a Wii. Well, I took a look at their jewelry section for the first time. I wanted to do so since I always hear people compare LOGR''s to Walmart jewelry. No way!! LOGR is so much better IMHO. They even wanted more for their crap than LOGR. I''m not saying LOGR is comparable to Leon Mege, but it''s not as bad as what some people make it out to be. It''s very nice quality for the money.

Maybe shop around. I sold a stone to a guy I worked with, he took it to my jeweler friend back in Buffalo to get is set in a ring. The ring was 14 kt gold, solitaire, no diamonds to distract from my stone. $115

This guy was a small, owner operator shop, nothing fancy, no suit or tie, just a guy behind the bench with a magnifier on his head and a dog laying on the floor chewing a bone.

Gene- Do you mind saying who you B-lo jeweler is? I don''t get back there too often these days, but I got my little sister a loose stone for Christmas that she needs to have set. Thanks!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 12:10:26 PM

I can get 14K gold solitaires from LOGR for that price too, but once you add diamonds, it gets more pricey. Also, many of us live in huge metropoliatan areas where NOTHING is inexpensive. With LOGR you also don''t have to pay tax, or S&H (to the States). Customization, where many jewelers make a fortune, starts at only around $50 or so from LOGR. I have shopped around, and it''s expensive for pieces at most B&M stores. I think online is the way to go for finding a good setting, and LOGR is a very inexpensive option.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 12:31:15 PM

TL, but then how much do you pay to have the stone set into your LOGR ring?
It costs my jeweler around $35 to $50 to set a stone. I hate that, but even if I added that cost onto the LOGR, it would still be a nice diamond/gold mount for a good price. My recent seven gram rose gold ring with one carat of SI diamonds was $425, so even though it cost my jeweler about $35 to set my diamond in it, it was still cost effective. I am very grateful that I can afford to set my stones, and it leaves me more $$$ to buy more gems. Therefore, I think it helps peoples' businesses, like yours, to have cost effective diamond/gold settings. Otherwise, why buy gems, unless you like keeping them in boxes.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding up what I''ve spent over the last few years on LOGR settings + getting the stone set, I''m still way, way up on what I could have paid for a setting from my local jeweler.

My jeweler isn''t very internet savvy, so after bringing him loads of pictures of Leon Mege claws, and seeing all of the various settings I''ve brought in, I''ve noticed he''s starting to make settings very similar to what I''ve brought in, and he''s perfecting those claw prongs a little more every day.

Frankly, I hate to sound like I''m so pro-LOGR, but as savvy as I''ve tried to be, there''s just nowhere else I could possibly match the cost:quality ratio. The bezel settings for both my scapolite from my local jeweler and my Grossular through JKT were/are both ~$600 in total - which I think is extremely competitive. for a well-made custom bezel piece. Especially in DFW.

My custom elongated cushion LOGR Legacy setting cost me a grand total of $230. Plus setting fees.
2.gif

I don''t expect WF or BGD level customer service for that much money, frankly. But from my local jeweler and JKT, I hope for it. And so far, I have not been disappointed.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
From my experience, my LOGR settings have been beautiful and well-crafted. Even miligraining, polished inside of the basket, sized perfectly and shipped quickly.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m near Boston, and prices can be steep for settings, even ones without diamonds. I won''t buy daily wear settings from my own jeweler because he''s also expensive. LOGR ring settings are fun settings (for me anyway). When I have them set I do have them checked over. I don''t wear any jewelery when I''m being active. It has to come off. (only time it doesn''t is in an emergency situation...won''t go into that here, thats a long story)

I''m sure there''s some that have spent quite a lot for LOGR but I haven''t even on the one I completely upgraded.

My setting fee can depend on how much I can sweet talk my jeweler
2.gif
Its usually 45-55 bucks. If I ask for extra stuff then of course I pay him for his time, he''s worth it.

My semi custom LOGR was the most expensive I''ve purchased from them, but I expected that considering its all 18K gold. However, even with the upgrade in gold and diamonds, its well below what I would have paid locally.

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I purchased the LOGR legacy style, way back when prices were much lower (just after LTP did her first tourmaline one I believe).

As soon as I received it I knew I couldn''t keep it - the milgraining, metal work and polish was badly done and uneven and the diamonds were not as purported, a couple cloudy etc.

Maybe I received one of the "bad ones" or perhaps they''re just not for me..*shrugs*..

Just thought I''d add a different perspective.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 12:39:29 PM

It costs my jeweler around $35 to $50 to set a stone. I hate that, but even if I added that cost onto the LOGR, it would still be a nice diamond/gold mount for a good price. My recent seven gram rose gold ring with one carat of SI diamonds was $425, so even though it cost my jeweler about $35 to set my diamond in it, it was still cost effective. I am very grateful that I can afford to set my stones, and it leaves me more $$$ to buy more gems. Therefore, I think it helps peoples'' businesses, like yours, to have cost effective diamond/gold settings. Otherwise, why buy gems, unless you like keeping them in boxes.

TL, where do you live? I have a strong urge to move to your town. $ 425, you say? I paid $ 2500 for a setting. I agree, it had collection diamonds, but still... Am I living on another planet, or is it because i buy expensive stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 10:08:15 PM
Author: crasru

It costs my jeweler around $35 to $50 to set a stone. I hate that, but even if I added that cost onto the LOGR, it would still be a nice diamond/gold mount for a good price. My recent seven gram rose gold ring with one carat of SI diamonds was $425, so even though it cost my jeweler about $35 to set my diamond in it, it was still cost effective. I am very grateful that I can afford to set my stones, and it leaves me more $$$ to buy more gems. Therefore, I think it helps peoples'' businesses, like yours, to have cost effective diamond/gold settings. Otherwise, why buy gems, unless you like keeping them in boxes.

TL, where do you live? I have a strong urge to move to your town. $ 425, you say? I paid $ 2500 for a setting. I agree, it had collection diamonds, but still... Am I living on another planet, or is it because i buy expensive stones?
You don''t have to live anywhere special. We are just discussing the value that ebay setting seller LOGR (Lord of the Gem Rings) provides.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian, I''d love to hear your rec for a B&M jeweler in the Boston area. My girlfriend loved her RW Wise amethyst christmas gift so much that she wants to have it reset with an old 5mm round diamond she has as an accent stone. It''s a quasi-custom job---just soldering together findings, since the amethyst is calibrated, but we''ve had a b-tch of a time finding a jeweler to do it for a non-exorbitant price.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 10:15:57 AM
Author: dzop
Arcadian, I''d love to hear your rec for a B&M jeweler in the Boston area. My girlfriend loved her RW Wise amethyst christmas gift so much that she wants to have it reset with an old 5mm round diamond she has as an accent stone. It''s a quasi-custom job---just soldering together findings, since the amethyst is calibrated, but we''ve had a b-tch of a time finding a jeweler to do it for a non-exorbitant price.

I''m not Arcadian but I''ll chime in with the jeweler I use locally and that would be TC Jewelers in Arlington. It''s a little hole in the wall of a shop but they do nice work at reasonable prices.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 10:15:57 AM
Author: dzop
Along with whom kismet offered you can also try Benchcraft Jewelers in Belmont www.benchcraftjewelers.com. Tony is a goldsmith and can give you an idea of what it would take. He does fantastic work and is amazing guy (does know gemstones
9.gif
). You have to call ahead to set an appointment to come in as he''s a one man operation.

I was there picking up something he had done for me and saw a lovely ring he made for an someone''s engagement (the sapphire was GORGEOUS!!
30.gif
)

On occassion I will use barmakian jewelers who are perfectly fine, though I really hate going in there for anything beyond a basic set because they are kinda pricey.

-A

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

My recent seven gram rose gold ring with one carat of SI diamonds was $425

I always wondered why it was IMPOSSIBLE to compete with LOGR. If you break this statement down to costs you have seven grams of 14K gold having a scrap value of around $160 leaving $265 for 1 carat of SI melee, setting and finishing costs and well as shipping. My, and every jeweler in the U.S., costs for this quality melee is more per carat than what you paid for the entire ring. I''m left scratching my head wondering why they would sell something for less than what they could get for it''s parts ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 12:33:39 PM
Author: Michael_E

My recent seven gram rose gold ring with one carat of SI diamonds was $425

I always wondered why it was IMPOSSIBLE to compete with LOGR. If you break this statement down to costs you have seven grams of 14K gold having a scrap value of around $160 leaving $265 for 1 carat of SI melee, setting and finishing costs and well as shipping. My, and every jeweler in the U.S., costs for this quality melee is more per carat than what you paid for the entire ring. I''m left scratching my head wondering why they would sell something for less than what they could get for it''s parts ?
Well, the gold weight, caratage, and karat in gold check out fine with my jeweler, and so, maybe he buys his parts in volume? He has tons of customers, so perhaps that''s how he makes a decent profit. In any case, that''s why I shop with LOGR, the value/cost ratio is unbeatable IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results