shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR and Jewelryhoo settings + stones - advice requested!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had this 5x7ish EC sapphire for about 12 months, just laying around doing nothing. It''s a stone I bought from AJSGems, that has a tilt window, and a tiny bit of a face down window.

So, I ordered this setting from Jewelryhoo (Jewe08 or something is his other Ebay ID we all know) and negotiated him to a fair price.

I received it, and I was surprised at how nice it is for the price.

Here are a few pics. . .

ECSetting1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the sapphire resting in it.

ECSapphire1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another one!

ECSapphire2.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, now for the advice. I got my marquise setting, requiring a 7x 3.5 mm stone. My marquise is 7.11 by 3.98, and I thought it would fit. Well, it does, but with a HUGE airline.

ECandMarquiseSetting.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is with the diamond in it . . .

MarquiseSetting3.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another.

MarquiseSetting2.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one.

MarquiseSetting1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My question to you guys - do you think it''s worth it to keep it with the huge airline, or should I see if my jeweler can bezel the stone, and add a small bevel like my e-ring to kind of break up all of that metal?

Thoughts?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Straight on, on my hand.

MarquiseSetting4.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both settings! I definitely want a setting like those someday. I actually like the airline look, I think the setting was meant to have that large of an airline? So for personally me I would not change it one bit, I also think that if you bezel that airline, that it would have to much metal and separate the design as well. But if it bothers you, then I would not listen to me
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:01:51 PM
Author: D&T
I love both settings! I definitely want a setting like those someday. I actually like the airline look, I think the setting was meant to have that large of an airline? So for personally me I would not change it one bit, I also think that if you bezel that airline, that it would have to much metal and separate the design as well. But if it bothers you, then I would not listen to me
1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

What worries me is the huge airline, but I''m thinking I may dislike large amounts of metal more. Especially given that there is so little metal in the halo to begin with.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:04:25 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

What worries me is the huge airline, but I''m thinking I may dislike large amounts of metal more. Especially given that there is so little metal in the halo to begin with.
I think that setting was supposed to have that big of an airline as well and would personally leave it as is. You actually outbid me for that setting LTP.
2.gif
I didn''t have a stone for it though so I had no business bidding on it anyway really, other than it went for super cheap!! I''m glad you got it!
36.gif

Love your EC sapphire and the setting!
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Haha, it''s funny Lauren, but I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering when you''d show up with more rings!! The sapphire ring is gorgeous, and the color looks fantastic against the white gold and diamonds!!

To me, the marquise ring does look like it has an intentional airline, especially given that the seat for the stone is practically level with the halo. With the prongs on each north/south end, you couldn''t fit a longer stone in that setting, and a fatter stone would look silly and out of proportion with the halo. It has a delicate look to it, so a thick bezel would look chunky, but you could do a very, very thin bezel with milgrain perhaps. Given the additional cost, I would just leave it as is. I actually like the look, Lauren, but it''s a little smaller and more delicate than the other rings you have, so you''ve got to be the one happy with it. Not much help, am I?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:13:46 PM
Author: brandy_z28

1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

I think that setting was supposed to have that big of an airline as well and would personally leave it as is. You actually outbid me for that setting LTP.
2.gif
I didn''t have a stone for it though so I had no business bidding on it anyway really, other than it went for super cheap!! I''m glad you got it!
36.gif

1.gif
Oooops! Sorry, Brandy!

That was purely an accident, because I had just been outbid by $1 on another setting, so I just went and bid on that one in retaliation, and no one else ever bid on it again.
1.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:16:55 PM

1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

2.gif
36.gif

1.gif
Oooops! Sorry, Brandy!

That was purely an accident, because I had just been outbid by $1 on another setting, so I just went and bid on that one in retaliation, and no one else ever bid on it again.
1.gif
No need to apologize. I decided it was best to let it go to someone else and hubby might have had a thing or two to say to me if I did end up winning another setting.
2.gif
I have one more LOGR on it''s way to me...
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like the airline, Lauren! I think the gap may be big enough that if you filled it with metal you wouldn''t like it as much. It might be worth it to see if your jeweler could fill it with metal and tiny diamonds?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:53:41 PM
Author: cellentani
Haha, it''s funny Lauren, but I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering when you''d show up with more rings!! The sapphire ring is gorgeous, and the color looks fantastic against the white gold and diamonds!!

To me, the marquise ring does look like it has an intentional airline, especially given that the seat for the stone is practically level with the halo. With the prongs on each north/south end, you couldn''t fit a longer stone in that setting, and a fatter stone would look silly and out of proportion with the halo. It has a delicate look to it, so a thick bezel would look chunky, but you could do a very, very thin bezel with milgrain perhaps. Given the additional cost, I would just leave it as is. I actually like the look, Lauren, but it''s a little smaller and more delicate than the other rings you have, so you''ve got to be the one happy with it. Not much help, am I?
I think that''s a great help, Cellantini!!!

Next question, how would you do the prongs? Just one single claw prong, or split claws?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:24:26 PM

1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

2.gif
36.gif

1.gif
Oooops! Sorry, Brandy!

1.gif
No need to apologize. I decided it was best to let it go to someone else and hubby might have had a thing or two to say to me if I did end up winning another setting.
2.gif
9.gif
Which one?!?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:27:25 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I actually really like the airline, Lauren! I think the gap may be big enough that if you filled it with metal you wouldn''t like it as much. It might be worth it to see if your jeweler could fill it with metal and tiny diamonds?
Thanks, Aimee!
1.gif

I think I''m going to have it set as is, and see how I like it. It seems so antique to me with that much airline, and I''m sure something like that would totally grow on me.
3.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:28:18 PM

Date: 7/16/2009 1:53:41 PM
Author: cellentani

I think that''s a great help, Cellantini!!!

Next question, how would you do the prongs? Just one single claw prong, or split claws?
I''d do single claw prongs - a 5x7mm isn''t a very big stone, so I''d be afraid that split claws would overwhelm it. Single claws would be delish!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the basket, it appears that the marquise setting was meant to have the large airline. It looks different and perhaps you might come to like it. The EC setting looks like a good fit for the sapphire.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I bid on that exact marquise setting too! The airline is what bugged me and kept me from bidding higher. Its not that I don''t like the way it looked, I was worried about the chances of the center stone being knocked about or damaged. It seems like there are only two prongs, and because of the airline you could directly make contact with the center...what do you think? Would you consider it safe to wear often?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Also, did you upgrade the diamonds?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:31:34 PM

Date: 7/16/2009 2:24:26 PM

1.gif
D&T, thanks!
1.gif

2.gif
36.gif

1.gif
Oooops! Sorry, Brandy!

1.gif
2.gif
9.gif
Which one?!?
This one...it''s pretty simple but for $63 I couldn''t pass it up. I hope it looks as nice as yours and the rg one I just received! I decided to try yellow gold with this one.

LOGR 5x7 oval.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool settings I love the EC Sapp. And silly me thinks that 5 x 7 mm is small -- obviously not in a colored gemstone!

The airline would bug me but it looks like that''s how the setting is. If I already owned the setting I''d try it and see if I grew to like it.

HTH

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brandy!!! How did you get a ring for $63 please do share. I like that setting too.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cellantini, I''m with you on the EC. And my jeweler is pretty good at doing single claws.

Chrono, I think I''m going to try and set it as is. It is different, much more delicate than my other rings. My worry is that it might look too "mall store". *sigh*

Szh07, it''s definitely very possible that the center stone could get beat up, which is why I was thinking about a bezel. Now that you mention it, I think I''m just going to talk to my jeweler and see what he recommends.

Brandy - pretty, and a STEAL! Please take pics when you get it as I was looking at that one for my Dan Stair purple spinel!

Stone Hunter - I accidentally won this one - had no idea no one would bid after me, and I won it for $91. Just have to be diligent and look at LOGR auctions late at night (for those of us in CST/EST.
3.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 4:56:57 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Brandy!!! How did you get a ring for $63 please do share. I like that setting too.
I stalk LOGR, or was. DH says enough, for now!
2.gif
As far as that price goes, I just got lucky. I thought for sure someone would outbid me. I''ve seen a few go pretty cheap, as in less than $100, like the one LTP got.
9.gif
They aren''t big and elaborate but they''re nice settings from what I''ve seen so far.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 5:02:53 PM
Cellantini, I''m with you on the EC. And my jeweler is pretty good at doing single claws.

Chrono, I think I''m going to try and set it as is. It is different, much more delicate than my other rings. My worry is that it might look too ''mall store''. *sigh*

Szh07, it''s definitely very possible that the center stone could get beat up, which is why I was thinking about a bezel. Now that you mention it, I think I''m just going to talk to my jeweler and see what he recommends.

Brandy - pretty, and a STEAL! Please take pics when you get it as I was looking at that one for my Dan Stair purple spinel!

Stone Hunter - I accidentally won this one - had no idea no one would bid after me, and I won it for $91. Just have to be diligent and look at LOGR auctions late at night (for those of us in CST/EST.
3.gif
Absolutley! Pics for sure.
1.gif

LTP, does your diamond have a pink tint to it? It might just be my monitor but I see a hint of pink.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren

The sapphire in that setting is gorgeous. The colour is wonderful. I can't wait to see it set.

The marquise - you know I have a diamond almost exactly the same as yours and yes, I was looking at that same setting! Great minds think alike!!! I'm another that thinks the airline is meant to be there. Do you feel that you're getting finger coverage? It looks a lovely size on your hand (and if I recall you're a size 6 like me?????). Will you keep it do you think? You know what you could do ... if you really hate the airline you could add a central halo - either with diamonds or pink or yellow diamonds. Is there enough space for an inner halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results