shape
carat
color
clarity

Lights? Camera? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
How are you guys getting such great shots of your diamonds?!?! I have a kodak digital that has macro settings and options for zoom but I can''t seem to get pictures up close of my diamond without shadows or it being out of focus. What kinds of cameras and settings and lenses do you guys find to be most successful in photographing diamonds and gems?
40.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS! Check out this thread with lots of tips.

jason2007

Rough_Rock
I just went through this...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-pics.64078/

Here''s my tips:

- Use the Macro (flower button) mode (or Super-Macro on Canon cameras) on the camera and find out what distance the macro mode is designed for (it should be in the manual) for the best focus
- Don''t use flash
- Use a tripod
- Use the delayed shutter feature - it''s a function on most digital cameras that gives you a countdown before it takes a picture. This will significantly reduce ''camera shake'' that can happen when you press the button and makes a big difference. Hit the button and then hold the tripod steady until it snaps the picture.

- I didn''t do this but a photographer friend recommended it after commenting that my photos made the diamond look dull: take a thin white sheet, go outside in bright sunlight and put the tripod, camera and ring (and probably yourself) underneath - this creates a ''light tent'' that should evenly diffuse the light and create a better picture

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results