shape
carat
color
clarity

Letter from a concerned and turned off PS member - now a Permanently turned off PSer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
I wrote the below letter about a month ago to Andrey and Ali. Unfortunately, I have not seen this part of PS get much better. I have a problem supporting a forum that is supposed to be about jewelry devolving to one where many hateful posts go unchecked.

If this site wants to get political then I can get political too and use the power of the purse to make my voice heard. I am quitting PS for good and I will not be recommending this site to any friends and families.

If this election has shown us anything, it is that individual voices together can make a difference.

The sad thing is that if PS stuck to what it does well - educate about diamonds and jewelry and provide a forum for people to share their life moments in a positive and supportive way, then it wouldn''t have turned me off as strongly as it has these last few months.

I thank everyone on PS to has helped me out and supported me during my time here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Letter from a concerned and turned off PS member

Hi Andrey and Ali,

I joined Pricescope last year to learn more about diamonds and jewelry and I stayed for quite awhile as a poster and a lurker because Pricescope had alot to offer not just in jewelry and diamond education but also because it had sections like Bride and Groom Worldwide, Hangout, Family and Home which were fun and informative.

I wanted to express my concerns about the Around the World section of Pricescope how I do not see that this section does a service to Pricescope and its members as a whole. I have never really understood this section because I feel like this section lends itself to be very not in line with Pricescope''s mission statement to be fun and informative in a safe environment. I have found this section to be the most inciteful, least informative and so not fun section of Pricescope. Flame wars seem to arise from this section on a regular basis and even more so during this election season. It seems that many posts now devolve into ones that even though they are not directed at a particular poster, they are directed to a particular group, eg muslims, or lifestyle, eg gays. For example, there are two threads that come to mind:

Campbell Brown Commentary: So what if Obama were a Muslim or an Arab?

Connecticut Legalizes Gay Marriage!

I have been so turned off by many of the posters and what they have written that I no longer post or read the posts on PS as I had in the past. I also am not inclined to recommend others to Pricescope as I once used to. I feel if this section continues on this same course, I will stop visiting the site and will advise my friends and aquaintences against going to the site and will let them know what my reasoning is.

I know I am just one person but I hope you can hear and understand my concern and you both have the power to keep Pricescope as a fun place in the big world wide web where people can come and interact safely and for the enjoyment of diamonds, jewelry and life.

Thanks for your time and attention.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
ringster, I totally feel your pain, and agree with your entire post and the sentiment within it. This area of PS has also tainted the entire site for me as well. I thought this was a place for people to come looking for advice when buying jewelry to celebrate life''s most happy moments. I didn''t sign up for the hate and bigotry and small-mindedness that came out during this election season. It''s quite sad but unfortunately I think we are in the minority on this, otherwise something would have been done about this by now.

Ironically, this thread will likely be deleted, while the more hateful threads - like those you cited - are left to remain for all to see.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 5:49:55 PM
Author: surfgirl

Ironically, this thread will likely be deleted, while the more hateful threads - like those you cited - are left to remain for all to see.

I really don''t get this part. I''ve been noticing it for months and just tried to endure because I do like talking to and learning from the those that are not hateful. But I just about loss it yesterday.

ringster, I can''t say I blame you. I stopped recommending this site after the things I saw. I know too many black folks, gays, people of non-Christian faiths, and people that believe in a woman''s right to choose without being demonized. I hoped that those I already recommended the site too have avoided this section.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been noticing it for months and just tried to endure because I do like talking to and learning from the those that are not hateful. But I just about loss it yesterday.

ringster, I can''t say I blame you. I stopped recommending this site after the things I saw. I know too many black folks, gays, people of non-Christian faiths, and people that believe in a woman''s right to choose without being demonized. I hoped that those I already recommended the site too have avoided this section.
Moon, I just wanted to say that you and many others have conducted potentially volatile discussions in a really admirable and intelligent manner, and I applaud you all for that. There were many times that I wished I could join in on the discussions. In fact, I''ve learned a lot from many of your posts here. Sadly, my tolerance is lower than yours and I lost it quite a while ago.

And I too, have stopped referring anybody to PS for fear that they would think I support some of the bigoted thinking that has reared its head in this area of PS. I no longer send people here for information on diamonds or jewelry, nor do I refer people to the vendors that advertise here because if they don''t mind such things being said, then I would rather not support them by referring new business to them.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Aww thanks surfgirl! I kept waiting for you to return because I loved your posts back when I first started posting in this section.

I think part of my tolerance came from knowing I had already recommended the site and I just wanted to join in with others to make sure people that stopped by realized we didn''t all think what was being said was ok.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do have to say that I like learning or gaining insight from the positive posters here in ATW; some people can be quite negative but I try and skim past those posts. I am sorry you feel that way and I guess I understand where you are coming from but maybe they want to give us freedom to weigh both sides of the issue and gain some insight from each other since we all are diverse in our thoughts and our backgrounds?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
An interesting article and comments re: Facebook as an outlet for political debates & statements too. Similar discussions are running rampant right now. You may have to log off the web entirely to find peace.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:27:49 PM
Author: Skippy123
I do have to say that I like learning or gaining insight from the positive posters here in ATW; some people can be quite negative but I try and skim past those posts. I am sorry you feel that way and I guess I understand where you are coming from but maybe they want to give us freedom to weigh both sides of the issue and gain some insight from each other since we all are diverse in our thoughts and our backgrounds?
Ditto to every word. I love learning and discussing complex issues here. I skip the negative postings, they don''t do anything for me. But I do enjoy this section of PS, so hope it continues.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:33:10 PM
Author: decodelighted
An interesting article and comments re: Facebook as an outlet for political debates & statements too. Similar discussions are running rampant right now. You may have to log off the web entirely to find peace.
This part of the article made me laugh but there is some truth to it re:facebook. "Facebook users in an incredibly awkward position: "Do I de-friend this person?" "Do I engage this person?" And perhaps the most puzzling question of all, "How did I become friends with this person in the first place?""
You are forced in away to see other peoples thoughts if you don't ignore them or like you said you just need to log off. The one thing that does bug me is when people send you email forwards that you rather not see. Thanks Deco for the article; I always love reading what you post
35.gif

eta: I agree w/you Panda; nicely said.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that there are posts in ATW that make my toes curl. But I hope that those posts won''t drive existing members away or those who come to PS for advice on diamonds, gems and jewelry and end up staying to share stories about their wedding and children, and to otherwise chat about their day to day life.

I''m pragmatic in many ways. If someone wants to say something bigoted or hurtful, that is their prerogative. We do not have to respond or give credence to those statements. As much as I object to hateful speech, as a strong proponent of First Amendment rights, I tolerate it as part of the marketplace of ideas, so long as it does not incite or threaten violence. It would be hypocritical of me if I advocated censorship of viewpoints I disagreed with but, at the same time, wanted my voice to be heard. I can respect a different point of view and, of course, would prefer it if it could be articulated in a respectful manner but, as with everything else in life, I can''t always get what I want. I lurked for a long time and then started to participate in ATW because I enjoy discussing politics and world events and appreciate learning about what others think. I love a hearty civil debate on ideas and opinions and am saddened whenever threads devolve into shouting matches and name calling, as I do not believe that is productive and it certainly does not add to the conversation.

Whenever I think ATW is getting a bit too contentious for me, all I have to do is go over to STMR or BBW or basically any other forum in PS and I will read message after message that are kind, supportive and helpful. I don''t think I''ve ever seen any message in the other forums where someone has been mean spirited. The forums on diamonds and jewelry have invaluable information. It seems like many use them for a singular purpose and move on. It would be shame if the knowledge in those forums are not more widely disseminated just because of some ugly posts on ATW.

Ringster, I understand how you feel but hope you will continue to participate. I think PS is a slice of the world we live in. It''s not always pleasant but we can do our share to make it a warm and welcoming place.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:43:51 PM
Author: panda08
I agree that there are posts in ATW that make my toes curl. But I hope that those posts won't drive existing members away or those who come to PS for advice on diamonds, gems and jewelry and end up staying to share stories about their wedding and children, and to otherwise chat about their day to day life.

I'm pragmatic in many ways. If someone wants to say something bigoted or hurtful, that is their prerogative. We do not have to respond or give credence to those statements. As much as I object to hateful speech, as a strong proponent of First Amendment rights, I tolerate it as part of the marketplace of ideas, so long as it does not incite or threaten violence. It would be hypocritical of me if I advocated censorship of viewpoints I disagreed with but, at the same time, wanted my voice to be heard. I can respect a different point of view and, of course, would prefer it if it could be articulated in a respectful manner but, as with everything else in life, I can't always get what I want. I lurked for a long time and then started to participate in ATW because I enjoy discussing politics and world events and appreciate learning about what others think. I love a hearty civil debate on ideas and opinions and am saddened whenever threads devolve into shouting matches and name calling, as I do not believe that is productive and it certainly does not add to the conversation.

Whenever I think ATW is getting a bit too contentious for me, all I have to do is go over to STMR or BBW or basically any other forum in PS and I will read message after message that are kind, supportive and helpful. I don't think I've ever seen any message in the other forums where someone has been mean spirited. The forums on diamonds and jewelry have invaluable information. It seems like many use them for a singular purpose and move on. It would be shame if the knowledge in those forums are not more widely disseminated just because of some ugly posts on ATW.

Ringster, I understand how you feel but hope you will continue to participate. I think PS is a slice of the world we live in. It's not always pleasant but we can do our share to make it a warm and welcoming place.
Me too or I look at the Mommies thread and see all the precious baby's and I can't help but smile!!!
9.gif

eta: Kaleigh you and I always think alike
2.gif

etaa: Please don't leave Ringster; I enjoy reading your posts!!

I do also think if we didn't have ATW a lot of this stuff would spill over into Hangout and that is worse to me; I rather not see it over there. Here it is contained and people can choose to look here or not.
4.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I completely understand how you feel. However, I have to say that I think that the posters making bigoted statements are in the major minority on PS luckily. Unfortunately no matter the venue on the internet you will always have people making rude and insensitive posts, not following rules, and generally just being a**holes. While I know that I don't agree with things they post, at the same time I don't think that someone I recommend PS to would find those few posts and then project onto me what those people are saying. So I chime in when I have the energy and when I don't I ignore those posts, which is often the worst thing you can do to someone trying to throw flames IMO.

At the same time there have been some very interesting and intelligent posters on those threads, and I do think it would be a shame to let a few sour grapes spoil the bunch.

I think as PS has grown so wildly in the past number of years perhaps the solution instead of closing these threads which are often interesting to many of us is that PS simply needs a few more moderators to make sure rules are being followed and that the board stays clean.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation instead of removing the ATW section...

I hope this can be resolved, because we don't want to lose people like you here!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
In general, I stay away from threads that are politically charged or controversial in nature, just as I stay away from similar topics IRL. All too often discussions like these can start out with the most geniune and sincere intentions, but then turn ugly quickly when opposing viewpoints are cited. On an Internet forum, it is quite easy to misinterpret posts, especially if the topic becomes emotionally charged. It is a shame that this happens, as I think in *theory* it would be wonderful if we could all convene and exchange our views on controversial topics in a mature and informative manner, but I just do not see this happening. Of course, I do think that the majority of the "regulars" here are able to do this, but it typically does not take much to set the thread in a negative direction.

Again, this is just what I have observed in the few threads that I have read through, so I could be missing the mark. I know this thread is targetted at the ATW section, but I do see similar patterns cropping up in other sections from time to time as well.

It is a shame though, as I really do enjoy reading other threads in this section from time to time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:41:48 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Ditto to every word. I love learning and discussing complex issues here. I skip the negative postings, they don't do anything for me. But I do enjoy this section of PS, so hope it continues.
Thritto. I have read some great posts in here, had some really good laughs, but most importantly, I don't think I would have voted had it not been for this place, and the people in it.

I don't agree with everything posted here, and I just pass up what I don't like, for the most part. You will always have a few people that can't resist ruffling feathers, who can't take the time (or don't want to) to post something thoughtfully. But shutting this section down won't end the negativity, they'll just post elsewhere, as they have in the past.

I'm sorry if you leave ringster, I hope you'll reconsider.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:54:39 PM
Author: neatfreak
I completely understand how you feel. However, I have to say that I think that the posters making bigoted statements are in the major minority on PS luckily. Unfortunately no matter the venue on the internet you will always have people making rude and insensitive posts, not following rules, and generally just being a**holes. While I know that I don't agree with things they post, at the same time I don't think that someone I recommend PS to would find those few posts and then project onto me what those people are saying. So I chime in when I have the energy and when I don't I ignore those posts, which is often the worst thing you can do to someone trying to throw flames IMO.

At the same time there have been some very interesting and intelligent posters on those threads, and I do think it would be a shame to let a few sour grapes spoil the bunch.

I think as PS has grown so wildly in the past number of years perhaps the solution instead of closing these threads which are often interesting to many of us is that PS simply needs a few more moderators to make sure rules are being followed and that the board stays clean.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation instead of removing the ATW section...

I hope this can be resolved, because we don't want to lose people like you here!
I agree NF, why let a few sour grapes ruin the bunch. That just says it all. I have been a positive poster in these threads, why should I be penalized for the few negative posters...

Ringster,
You are a valuable member of the PS commmunity. I hope things can be resolved and that you will join us again soon.
5.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I agree with others that say we shouldn't all be punished due to a few bad apples. Politics, history, & current events are a huge part of my life (you should meet my husband) so I really enjoy talking with others here. It is especially interesting when I read comments from those outside of the US. We can be so insular and so close to the situation that it's good to get the perspective of the outsider.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I found myself thinking alot about Pricescope yesterday after the ugliness that reared it's head in the last few days.

I finally put my finger on what was so disturbing to me. Generally I am against censorship. In fact I frequent more than a few forums that are completely unmoderated.

But Pricescope IS different. I find it particularly ironic and just wrong that Pricescope is a place where you can't say "OMG, that's one ugly ring...what in the world were you thinking?", "that's a whopper of an inclusion", or "nice ring...from 1980", but you can denigrate race and sexual orientation.

Since Pricescope is a moderated forum I think perhaps we should adopt the same policies in ATW that are common to the average workplace. If you couldn't say it at work without being sent to HR for diversity training or receiving a warning, you shouldn't be saying it here either. It boggles my mind that everyone can agree that it's not cool to tell a bride her dress makes her look like a stuffed sausage, but some can't agree to leave their religious dogma at home? WTH
33.gif
38.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 7:17:42 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/8/2008 6:41:48 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Ditto to every word. I love learning and discussing complex issues here. I skip the negative postings, they don''t do anything for me. But I do enjoy this section of PS, so hope it continues.
Thritto. I have read some great posts in here, had some really good laughs, but most importantly, I don''t think I would have voted had it not been for this place, and the people in it.

I don''t agree with everything posted here, and I just pass up what I don''t like, for the most part. You will always have a few people that can''t resist ruffling feathers, who can''t take the time (or don''t want to) to post something thoughtfully. But shutting this section down won''t end the negativity, they''ll just post elsewhere, as they have in the past.

I''m sorry if you leave ringster, I hope you''ll reconsider.
1.gif
I''ll add on to you guys....

Ringster, I did "breeze" through the two threads you pointed to...neither of which did I find all that bad. I can name 2 or 3 posters on them who''s comments, though I personally find objectionable...I would add...what kind of threshold for entry would I wish Pricescope would have, such that people who ideas I find a problem, would not be allowed.

Surfgirl, Moonwater, consider closely Skippy''s wise suggestion:

"I do also think if we didn''t have ATW a lot of this stuff would spill over into Hangout and that is worse to me; I rather not see it over there. Here it is contained and people can choose to look here or not."

I had hoped Pricescope could open a page where people could speak with intelligence, (or, in any case, speak their mind) about religion. But, seeing the concerns expressed in this thread, I worry I would have to withdraw my suggestion, even.

Consider telling your friends...skip any targeted page that might give you concern. Tell them that Pricescope largely upholds certain posting standards, mostly maintained in the 2 threads I was pointed to, and does not discriminate against anyone from joining.

AGBF, your comments on the posts presented (notably page 4 on CT gays), and as usual, continue to help me derive pride in being a Pricescope member.

With warm regards,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2008 6:04:44 PM
Author: MoonWater

Date: 11/8/2008 5:49:55 PM
Author: surfgirl

I really don''t get this part. I''ve been noticing it for months and just tried to endure because I do like talking to and learning from the those that are not hateful. But I just about loss it yesterday.

Ringster and Moonwater, I certainly share your concerns as well. I have been extremely disillusioned about negative posts on both sides. In fact, in addition to the people who I know who are black, other races, gay, non-Christian, and pro-choice, I totally respect those who are committed to their Christian faith and believe in the sanctity of human life and marriage between a man and woman. These people deserve respect, too. They have a belief system that is just as valid than any other as far as an internet forum is concerned and that does not make them bigots.

It is sad that these contentious threads have caused discouragement and strife. It is sad that people cannot have respect for one another. I see great tolerance on this forum for those who are in agreement with a certain group, and zero tolerance for those with differing viewpoints. They are seen as uneducated, narrowminded, and anti-intellectual.

Pricescope has meant a lot to me as well, and I will be sad if I have to leave, too. But I will wait and see what the decision is on the political threads. I think Politics is every bit as contentious as Religion, and there is no place for either on a diamond forum, as far as I am personally concerned.

(To Andrey and Ali, sorry to write this as a post, but I want you to know that there are others with concerns about the political threads. In spite of your warnings and attempts to keep discussions civil, it simply didn''t happen. I hope you will consider eliminating all political threads in the future. This is a great site and I soooo hate to see the conflicts that have arisen on both sides regarding politics. Thank you for your consideration of this matter.)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
DS, what about my suggestion. If you have a problem with this part of the board, stay away from it?

P.S. I also see we may have written a minute apart. Though I doubt my comments will be terribly influential to you...I'd be interested in what you do think of them...and the general idea that...it is challenging to be open...and the consequence of deciding to not assume that challenge...and being closed...would provide an environment that is just less rich. it is good to have options.

Alternately, if you do think that certain ideas deserve censure, and that, by either the existing standards, they should have been eliminated...or you think existing standards should be made more "micro manageable," so that the objectionable posts can be tossed...well...I suppose I would be interested in seeing this suggestion.

Ultimately, yes, it will be up to Andrey & Ali, and I hope that keeping things open is certainly my preference.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 7:49:18 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I found myself thinking alot about Pricescope yesterday after the ugliness that reared it's head in the last few days.

I finally put my finger on what was so disturbing to me. Generally I am against censorship. In fact I frequent more than a few forums that are completely unmoderated.

But Pricescope IS different. I find it particularly ironic and just wrong that Pricescope is a place where you can't say 'OMG, that's one ugly ring...what in the world were you thinking?', 'that's a whopper of an inclusion', or 'nice ring...from 1980', but you can denigrate race and sexual orientation.

Since Pricescope is a moderated forum I think perhaps we should adopt the same policies in ATW that are common to the average workplace. If you couldn't say it at work without being sent to HR for diversity training or receiving a warning, you shouldn't be saying here either. It boggles my mind that everyone can agree that it's not cool to tell a bride her dress makes her look like a stuffed sausage, but some can't agree to leave their religious dogma at home? WTH
33.gif
38.gif

Hmm...you really do have a point. I never even thought about that. Maybe that's what gets me too.

Ira, you are right and I will consider that. Overall I do love this forum and I would not have my excellent rock without it. I drool over my ring daily and get compliments all the time. People here were so helpful to me during my search. I was hoping that once the election was over, the heat would die down and I wouldn't fret so much about it. But regardless, you and Skippy make a strong point. Btw Skippy, you are just the sweetest person!! I love your posts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ira, I feel the same way about it as I do religion...there is plenty of potential to offend everyone and I do not see a benefit for a diamond consumer forum to have conflict over religion or politics. I did not see all the recent offensive threads because I was already turned off by earlier ones over the last few months. There are hundreds of blogs and forums on Politics, so I see no real need for controversial threads on here. But of course, it is not my forum either!
1.gif

As far as censorship is concerned, then why ban religion as a topic if you want a totally open forum?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know we all do not share the same views, I accept that. What I hate are the ugly remarks, the mean spiritedness, the bashing, the intolerance that arises.

I am someone who might think having a choice about abortion is vital. You might be anti abortion. Well, if I agree to value your view and know it is what works for you, and not shove my views down your throat, I would expect the same in return. I might not like your view personally, but as long as we are civil and respectful, I certainly defend your rights to have your views.

I think we SHOULD be able, as mostly considerate and intelligent folks, be able to come here, post differing views and learn from others. Learn does not mean you become a convert to my views. It means hearing me, and whether or not you agree with me, allowing me my voice.

I think if certain people, and it seems as if there are a small handful, cannot play nicely in the sandbox, perhaps those small few should not be allowed on those threads unless they earn the right to post there. Let's not allow the few to spoil it for the many who behave appropriately. There is no call for nastiness. It shames and saddens me to see it here.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of those who'd like to see AtW stay. As someone has already said, a few bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch. I'm a member of several different forums and members discuss politics in each. Political discussion can become heated (as I fully expect it to!) but often in a positive way. When people becoming insulting, that's a different story- but I don't see it happening on the majority of the threads (save a few pot-stirrers).

The good thing about heated discussions on *the internet* is that you can walk away when offended. If you see a post or thread you don't agree with and are insulted to the point of not wanting to contribute, it can easily be ignored.

I've thoroughly enjoyed discussing politics with not only my fellow liberal ladies, but with PS conservatives as well, and hope I'll be able to in the future.

Fin.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2008 8:03:46 PM
Author: diamondfan
I know we all do not share the same views, I accept that. What I hate are the ugly remarks, the mean spiritedness, the bashing, the intolerance that arises.

I am someone who might think having a choice about abortion is vital. You might be anti abortion. Well, if I agree to value your view and know it is what works for you, and not shove my views down your throat, I would expect the same in return. I might not like your view personally, but as long as we are civil and respectful, I certainly defend your rights to have your views.

I think we SHOULD be able, as mostly considerate and intelligent folks, be able to come here, post differing views and learn from others. Learn does not mean you become a convert to my views. It means hearing me, and whether or not you agree with me, allowing me my voice.

I think if certain people, and it seems as if there are a small handful, cannot play nicely in the sandbox, perhaps those small few should not be allowed on those threads unless they earn the right to post there. There is no call for nastiness. It shames and saddens me to see it here.
You are a great example of someone who I agreed with on a lot of issues but we may have had a couple of differences. Yet I think we could still discuss them in a respectful manner and still enjoy going to lunch together! I sensed that in the posts I read of yours. This is exactly what I am talking about. You never called people names who didn''t agree with you. But judging from the number of intolerant posts, I don''t see it working on this forum.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 8:06:17 PM
Author: EBree
Add me to the list of those who''d like to see AtW stay. As someone has already said, a few bad apples shouldn''t spoil the bunch. I''m a member of several different forums and politics has never been ''banned''. Political discussion can become heated (as I fully expect it to!) but often in a positive way. When people becoming insulting, that''s a different story- but I don''t see it happening on the majority of the threads (save a few pot-stirrers).

The good thing about heated discussions on *the internet* is that you can walk away when offended. If you see a post or thread you don''t agree with and are insulted to the point of not wanting to contribute, it can easily be ignored.

I''ve thoroughly enjoyed discussing politics with not only my fellow liberal ladies, but with PS conservatives as well, and hope I''ll be able to in the future.

Fin.
9.gif
Well said Ebree.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 7:58:47 PM
Author: Regular Guy
DS, what about my suggestion. If you have a problem with this part of the board, stay away from it?
I have to say, although I can find it problematic to follow the 'see no evil' rule in every aspect of life, when it comes to the internet I think it's a good move.

Of both threads mentioned, I haven't opened them at all... I guess I just didn't want to know. They were not topics that were relevant to me, and I wasn't sure I could constructively engage in a conversation about them.

Upshot is, I don't really have this connection between 'all' PS members and some internet entries that I have interpreted as close-minded bigotry.

So much of what we take to be 'progressive' or 'conservative / offensive' thought is to some extent subject to fashion, anyway, and morphs as society does.

There's always going to be embarrassing / upsetting stuff on the internet. Same as in real life, really. I want AtW to stay (and have international dialogue, too!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
In life you''re bound to hear many things you wish you hadn''t heard. And opinions that differ vastly from your own. Sure, the level of vitriol and hate of some can be hard to swallow ... and people personally affected by issues obviously would have the toughest time of all.

Generally, I think its important to know what even your most polar political opponent is thinking. We can''t live in a bubble thinking its all Candy Land and sweetness & light. There are real divides in this country. Real work to do to reconcile our difference and keep on determining what kind of country we''re going to be. What kind of WORLD we''re going to be.

Exchanges of ideas are healthy. Name-calling, personal attacks, sweeping generalizations etc are NOT healthy. Two of the three are against forum rules. And two outta three ain''t bad.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but why is when someone is mean to a bride, a LIW, or a diamond lover they are immediately brought down by public condemnation, yet discriminatory posts are left unchallenged?

Do we really want to protect bad taste out of respect for the fact that we don''t all share the same taste, but allow some posters to denigrate race and orientation under the umbrella of religious belief? If religion itself is supposed to be left out of Pricescope, then how do you ignore posts that deny certain groups on the basis of religion?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 8:03:10 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ira, I feel the same way about it as I do religion...there is plenty of potential to offend everyone and I do not see a benefit for a diamond consumer forum to have conflict over religion or politics. I did not see all the recent offensive threads because I was already turned off by earlier ones over the last few months. There are hundreds of blogs and forums on Politics, so I see no real need for controversial threads on here. But of course, it is not my forum either!
1.gif

As far as censorship is concerned, then why ban religion as a topic if you want a totally open forum?
DS, btw, I did add to my earlier comments, and now need to assist my 13 year old on homework (coming...), but...you''ll see I would have us also talk about religion.

But...segregate it. Like these topics are, here.

I don''t really go on other boards. Well...I''m on targeted list serves, I suppose.

Anyway...I''m for staying the course. And...you don''t have to turn to this "channel," which seems like it should take care of the problem, if it''s not a positive experience. I would have thought that would largely solve the problem.

Again, regards to all,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results