shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning about swiss blue topaz

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I'm interested in learning about swiss blue and possibly also electric blue topaz. I've read through a fair number of threads but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for in pictures. For example the two stones below are approximately the same size, shape and are both from reputable cutters. But one is almost 3 times the price of the other. Can someone please explain why? (Especially because the larger stone is cheaper). Is it because of the reputation of the cutter.

Stone 1:
Brazilian Swiss Blue Topaz
3.16 ct
9x9x6.14 mm
Very slightly included
Enhanced
Price: $285

swiss blue topaz.jpg

Stone 2:
Nigerian Swiss Blue Topaz
4.11 ct
10.2mm (no info on depth)
Very clean
Irradiated and heated
Price $170, but currently on sale for $100
Vendor (since it isn't in the photo): Mastercut gems (but not Dana)

37237.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With blue topaz, all other things being equal, the darker and more saturated (less gray) the color, the more expensive the material is. The electric blue stones have a glow about them. The most expensive of the blue topaz is the London blue, but these can get less saturated with too much gray, however a well saturated one is very pretty and hard to come by these days. Very light blue stones typically sell at gem shows for just a few dollars per carat. Treated or untreated has no effect on the price, actually it's just the opposite as only treated stones attain the deep neon blue colors.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also note that Doug's prices are in AUD, while the one from Mastercut is USD. Australian $285 is about $215 USD. Not sure who cut the one on Dana's site but Doug cuts almost all of his stones as precision cut thus his rate may be a little higher.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
@mochiko42 -- Ok that makes sense. I hadn't thought about the currency difference

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
@PrecisionGem thanks for your comments. I think I must have only seen grey London Topaz because I have not found the color especially appealing. And there I was just thinking that I had lucked out because trade ideal was not my ideal. I'll hunt through the old threads to see if I can find a good london blue.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1694.JPG

I have some Swiss blue pieces that I haven't worn for years!

IMG_1676.JPG This thread has also reminded me I have some London Blue pieces that havent seen the light of days for years either! :shifty:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow Austina, you must have a 100 carats worth of blue topaz! Please wear your pieces.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear y/g anymore @chatoyancy, that's why they're sitting unworn :(

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @chatoyancy, the necklace is particularly lovely, pearcuts have always been a favourite of mine.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
@arkieb1 - yes, that thread is awesome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results