shape
carat
color
clarity

Larger size worth the money??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I am very close to purchasing a diamond and setting through WhiteFlash but Im torn about the centerstone. Im 22 yrs. old so I don''t have quite the savings as I would like to have in order to get my GF the centerstone I really want, but Im worried the size I have picked out is going to be too small. Here are the details for the centerstone:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6544504''

Price: $3,259.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.753
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61.1
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.8
Girdle: Thin-Sly Thick Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed

It is a very beautiful diamond and it is ''eye-clean'' but the size bothers me. I would like to be more in the 0.95 to 1.1 ct. range but to find anything in that size of the same quality is another $2,000, anyone have any advice or past experience dealing with a dilemma like this???

DI40X_AGS-6544504.jpg

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Here''s the IS image:

IS_AGS-6544504.jpg

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Also the setting is to be a 3 stone shared prong setting, similar to a Scott Kay minus the surprise diamonds but with 14 0.03ct. melee stones down the shank (2mm thick band).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS
35.gif

Looks like a beautiful stone. I don''t think it''s too small at all. They have a trade up policy so in the future when you have more money you can trade it in and get a bigger one if you want. But I think it''s a great size!!

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Hey stix...welcome!

I went to down to a I-J color stone, and that bumped my size (for my budget) significantly. An ideal cut can make a stone face-up whiter, and if you're not color sensitive (like me), you probably won't notice a difference.

Ignoring the above for a moment...I think it's a great stone, and with the tradeup Kaleigh mentioned, you can't go wrong!

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Yeah I noticed a lot of rings on this website were ''upgrades'' and Im sure for a special anniversary once I become more established financially that will be what I end up doing. This is also a last minute question as they have already made the wax mold of the ring, but as I am so close to finalizing the deal it makes me more nervous that I shouldve went larger to start. Well, for fun, here is the wax mold that WhiteFlash did for me. I had them lower the centerstone a little bit from what is shown in the picture and was told the prongs would be much thinner in the final cast ring.

P.S. I would LOVE to thank everyone on this website as PS was absolutely invaluable to me in my long and difficult search for an engagement ring and most importantly, ''The Rock!'' Keep on keepin on PSers!!

wax.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow that setting looks fab, can''t wait to see the finished, polished result!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is just gorgeous, I love it. She will be thrilled with it.
30.gif

Bella

Rough_Rock
Can''t really answer your question, because it is vague. Is it too small? . . . . Too small for what?

Too small to make her happy? Only you (and she) know that, not anyone on a message board. Too small to sparkle like crazy? No, small stones can sparkle like crazy if cut well. Too small to impress strangers? Yes, it is.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If you want bigger go down in color but keep the excellent cut. You could even look for an eye clean SI2.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 2:46:07 PM
Author: Bella
Can''t really answer your question, because it is vague. Is it too small? . . . . Too small for what?

Too small to make her happy? Only you (and she) know that, not anyone on a message board. Too small to sparkle like crazy? No, small stones can sparkle like crazy if cut well. Too small to impress strangers? Yes, it is.

It looks like a beautiful ring, and I don''t think it will be "too small to impress strangers" -- unless you live in an area where there are a snootier class of strangers than where I live! And if those strangers aren''t impressed, well, frankly who gives a damn? What matter is that you and your fiance are happy with the stone and the ring.

E B

Ideal_Rock

I have to disagree with you. I have a .84ct solitaire that impresses strangers and I live in Southern California.

cobrateach

Rough_Rock
I think the fact that you are giving this ring so much thought means a lot more than the size of the center stone. 22 and a ring like that...how fortunate for her! "too small to impress strangers"...well I am a stranger and I would see that ring and think what a lucky girl! With time..and with increased income...she can upgrade if she wants. What you are giving her at this time is truly coming from your heart! What a very lucky girl she is in more ways than one!! Congrats!!!

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments about the size, I live just outside of Chicago, but not downtown where it is the land of the giant (diamonds). Im very happy with the cut and I cant wait to see it in person, I certainly hope she agrees with everyone here.

Spartan

Shiny_Rock

Too small to impress strangers? Yes, it is.
20.gif
Whatever!
20.gif

I can guarantee your ring will impress strangers.

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Sorry Bella, looks like you are outnumbered on this one!

E B

Ideal_Rock
OMG Stix, I completely missed the wax!

That ring is going to BLOW strangers (and your future fiance) away! It''s gorgeous!
30.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock

Maybe you need to find look for another group of strangers.
31.gif

I think as long as she is happy with it.... to heck w/the strangers! And at 22 you have the rest of your lives to upgrade.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the wax looks great..she''s going to love it

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Well I should be receiving pics of the finished product by either the end of the day or tomorrow so I will be sure to post them for all you enthusiasts out there. Ill post it here and on the ''Show me the ring'' spot as well.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great, can''t wait to see them!!!
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
No, I absolutely do NOT think it is "too small"! And it is a beautiful stone!

However, you do need to know that if you are willing to go down on color and clarity, you CAN get a bigger stone for the same money (if you decide you want to get a bigger one). I have a gorgeous J/SI2 that is so white and beautiful, and totally eyeclean - I couldn''t be happier. I am all about *SIZE*
31.gif
and compromising on color and clarity (but NEVER cut!) enabled me to get a much larger diamond (2.36) than I ever thought possible.

It''s totally your decision. But repeat after me... never compromise on cut!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

fromthetop.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I don''t think it''s too small at all. Especially since it''s going to be a three stone ring. Beautiful setting by the way.
It also depends on her finger size, too, as the smaller her size, the bigger it will look and vice versa. But I don''t think it is too small regardless if she is a size 10 ring size.
I think it will be a great size, remember, the only one you have to impress is her, not anyone else. I am sure she will be impressed with all the research and work you put into it. Some women are not that lucky!!!
Good luck!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Your stone looks great and that ring is going to be covered with diamonds!! It will blow me away, and I''m a stranger to you! So how''s that?
9.gif

StixforLegs

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous ring Lynn B! Ill take one last gander at the diamonds available before WhiteFlash sets the stones. Luckily they are very good about changing the design as I have done a couple times already. Thanks for all the advice and support from everyone!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I don''t think it''s too small at all!! My soon to be fiancé is 24 and I''ll be lucky if I get .75 ct total for my 3 stone... And I''ll still be happy with it! So, your soon-to-be fiancé certainly is a lucky girl!! ACA diamonds... Yum!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hey Stix, not to rock the boat, but WF does have this stone

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2107681.htm

It''s only a few dollars more and it would get you up to 6mm diameter. But this is the same arguement I''ve been having in my own head - Can you really see the difference of .5mm in the diameter???

To me all the other specs don''t look that much different. But I''m no expert, so if I''m leading him astray, please someone say something.
2.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, it is not too small!! With that gorgeous stone and all the extra bling it will definately impress strangers and your future fiance! And guess what, I live outside of Chicago and can pretty much guarantee that this size fits right in. Congrats on a fantastic choice.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Stix -- I know EXACTLY where you live as I grew up not too far from there!!!! I diamond that size is just fine!!!
1.gif
You have such a pretty setting that I bet the center will look bigger than 1ct anyway. The ring is going to look great -- I wouldn''t worry that the center stone is too small.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I think it will be lovely! What a beautiful diamond. I think it''s perfectly proportioned in that wax model, and it will be beautiful on your fiance. You could get a larger diamond in a lower clarity or color, and as long as you get an ideal cut it will still look fabulous. It''s up to you, but since it''s not a solitaire, I think the size is very respectable. No reason to be nervous about it at all, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results