shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies- How long does your makeup routine take you?

How long does your makeup routine take?

• 0 Minutes

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • 1-5 Minutes

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • 5-10 Minutes

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • 10-15 Minutes

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • 15 or More

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
SPACKLEGIRLS, I NEED SOME HELP!

ame|1329883368|3131436 said:
Depends how vain I am feeling that day. :lol: or how late I got up. I never leave the house without spackle around my eyes, brows filled in, shimmery ivory eyeshadow all around (part of the spackle routine) lashes curled, and mascara. I have serious circles and have all my life, and I seriously look like I was beaten up without concealer. So I have a pretty heavy duty routine. So I'd say THAT routine probably 5 to 8 minutes. IF I got up on time, or I am extra vain or have a consult that day, I add foundation, powder, blush, eyeliner and maybe more eye shadow, which tacks on anywhere froom 10-15 minutes. I also put my hair in big hot rollers before I start the makeup so they can set while I am spackling. That's less to curl it and more to smooth out the natural dents in it that would probably be curls and waves if I didn't have it so long right now.

Help a girl out who has recently become very aware of the darkened skin around the eyes-- applying concealer under-eye results in a smooth face in the morning mirror, but a smile makes MASSIVE creasing appear. When the concealer is thick enough to even out the darker skin, by the end of the day my undereyes look 20 years older than the rest of me. I've tried dabbing on primer first, but I'm guessing the products I'm using aren't optimal-- can anyone suggest specific products and specific application techniques to seriously airbrush the darkened areas away without making me look like a pachyderm?

(FYI, I currently use YSL Touche Eclat most, because diffusing light without creasing is better than nothing. But it's not real coverage. I want to learn the REAL tips for effective use of concealer, if anyone could be kind enough to help!)

It depends on the look and if I'm trying something new out!

I average an hour on make-up ... yes, an hour for a full face, highlighting, shading, contouring, eyebrows (plucking, shaping, filling in)... the funny thing is that if you did it right, it shouldn't look like you are wearing much make-up so... that's a lot of time to "waste"!

If I'm in a hurry I try to keep it to less than a half hour.

If I am in a super duper hurry I must must must have eyeliner and mascara on and a moisturized face.

I do go bare faced but I'm trying not to anymore. With my recent string of depression I find that primping lifts my spirits.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
bean|1329935098|3131775 said:
It depends on the look and if I'm trying something new out!

I average an hour on make-up ... yes, an hour for a full face, highlighting, shading, contouring, eyebrows (plucking, shaping, filling in)... the funny thing is that if you did it right, it shouldn't look like you are wearing much make-up so... that's a lot of time to "waste"!

If I'm in a hurry I try to keep it to less than a half hour.

If I am in a super duper hurry I must must must have eyeliner and mascara on and a moisturized face.

I do go bare faced but I'm trying not to anymore. With my recent string of depression I find that primping lifts my spirits.

Whoa! But I do relate to the need to spend some time on yourself if you are feeling low. Too many Moms at my son's schools wearing the sweatpants and hair pulled back - no shower. No need to let yourself go...

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I spend about 5 to 10 minutes. Concealer, blush, two coats mascara, sometimes light foundation, sometimes a neutral eye makeup - I use a quad eyeshadow palette. I have dark circles under my eyes so I cannot live without concealer. I use Laura Mercier eye concealer (don't like their secret camouflage it's a too dry IMO).if I am in a hurry, then just concealer and mascara.

Re tip on concealer not creasing.... I'm 27 and have a few fine lines. My sister works for estee Lauder and told me to use a good concealer brush to minimise creasing. It really really helps. Also dab a lil loose powder over the concealer once applied, and that will also make it last longer and not budge.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
10-15 minutes including applying my mornng seums and letting them absorb into my skin and eyes.

I have really good skin and rarely use foundation--usually just some conclealer on my nose and under eye area. I spend most of my time on my eyes--concealer as a base, Touche Eclat under my brows, shadow, liner and mascara on my eyes. A bit of a eyebrow crayon to fill them out. Blush and lipgloss and then a spritz of perfume.

I don't currently work so I'm not pressed for time in the morning; but I try to do my make up even if I am not planning on going out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spend maybe 5 minutes putting on makeup before work--a dusting of bronzer, black shadow in place of eyeliner, a swipe of eyeshadow, and some mascara.

Nights out with DH are a different story. If it's a full-on date night and I'm dressing up, I'll spend a lot of time doing my makeup, anywhere between 30 and 40 minutes. I'll spend 15 minutes doing my makeup for a normal night out.

Hair is a completely different story. I can spend a full hour on my hair if I really want to do it up. Workdays I spend zero minutes on it--I let it air dry in the car, and then pull it back in a low bun once I get to my office.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
5 - 10 minutes. No foundation, just lots of moisturizer (takes time to 'soak in'). Urban Decay primer (needs a few moments to set) then Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner, slight powder in crease and outside corners, brow pencil, mascara (have NOT found one that does not clump or flake or just look clumpy - I spend WAY too much money on mascara!) .... lipgloss or colour - depends.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
10-15 minutes during the week (closer to 15). I use an eye cream and facial moisturizer serum, then put my under eye concealer on and let it dry as I curl my lashes, do my brows (Anastasia Brow Wiz) and then apply bert's bees chapstick. That's my "base", then I'll use a small pot of concealer from mac for any redness and also blend it in with the under eye concealer. I'll brush on a light amount of bronzer and then choose a blush and lipgloss that goes with my outfit that day. I use a fine angled brush and eyeshadow for my liner and lights camera lashes mascara from tarte. Then I'll do my hair while my lashes dry, then give them a final curl before leaving the house.

Saturday morning when I go to the gym I don't bother doing make-up, only my eyebrows. I have an issue where they just stop growing halfway, so I have to draw on the ends and blend it in. On the weekends or for going out somewhere special I could spend up to an hour doing make-up. I have a lot of fun with it.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, about 5 minutes. I use Bare Minerals Bisque concealer on my eyelids and any spots I have (there used to not be many, but pregnancy has not been kind to my skin). Then I follow it with eye shadow, curling of the eyelashes, mascara, and blush. This is my daily routine. If I'm dressing up for whatever reason, I'll usually apply a powder foundation as well, along with eyeliner. Sometimes a little bronzer if I'm feeling fancy, ha.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'll wear make up to

1. My wedding

2. Your wedding

And that's about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1329948963|3131919 said:
5 - 10 minutes. No foundation, just lots of moisturizer (takes time to 'soak in'). Urban Decay primer (needs a few moments to set) then Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner, slight powder in crease and outside corners, brow pencil, mascara (have NOT found one that does not clump or flake or just look clumpy - I spend WAY too much money on mascara!) .... lipgloss or colour - depends.

Enerchi, I recently found a mascara that I love...Buxom Lash Mascara. I get it from Sephora. It doesn't clump and I only need to use a coat to make my lashes look full and long. They offer samples of it too so you can try it before you buy!

Asu

Shiny_Rock
I don't wear make up unless we are going out at night (and sometimes I don't even wear it then!).I prefer to use my time for skincare.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Mine is pretty quick and easy.
Sunscreen, a few dabs of foundation on my cheeks and I use a brush to spread it around, I fill in my brows with a few swipes (super quick since I had permanent make up to fill in my brows about a year ago), few swipes of blush/bronzer, lipgloss or chapstick in the car.
If I'm going out at night, I'll add a bit of eye shadow and maybe more blush and maybe mascara although lately it seems to be irritating my eyes.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1329951093|3131949 said:

Enerchi, I recently found a mascara that I love...Buxom Lash Mascara. I get it from Sephora. It doesn't clump and I only need to use a coat to make my lashes look full and long. They offer samples of it too so you can try it before you buy!

Enerchi, I will also suggest a new release mascara by Maybelline, Falsies Volume Express, with one caveat-- you HAVE TO use the brush properly. The brush is slightly grippy and the directions state to pivot the brush while applying; by doing so you'll feel the tiniest little grip on your lashes, which is the brush removing the excess product and leaving a thin coat of product on individual lashes-- individually. GREAT no-clump, lengthening result-- it's all in the brush!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
2 minutes. I wear eyeliner and curl my eyelashes. Nothing more even when I'm going out. Part of it is that I don't know how to apply it. The other reason is that my husband is so virulently opposed to make-up

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
fleur-de-lis|1330019848|3132532 said:

Enerchi, I will also suggest a new release mascara by Maybelline, Falsies Volume Express, with one caveat-- you HAVE TO use the brush properly. The brush is slightly grippy and the directions state to pivot the brush while applying; by doing so you'll feel the tiniest little grip on your lashes, which is the brush removing the excess product and leaving a thin coat of product on individual lashes-- individually. GREAT no-clump, lengthening result-- it's all in the brush!

Thanks Missy and Fleur de lis!!! :)) I just recently bought the new (to me!) L'Oreal False Fibre Lashes - its a total "clump fest" ARGH! I have the receipt and I'm going to take it back and I'll try the Maybelline first (I bought it at a drug store chain) and if that fails me...off downtown to Sephora will be next! Thanks ladies!

I'm pretty sure I have normal eye lashes, normal length, normal 'technique' for putting on the product - why do I regularly find that it always seem so clumpy? :?: I keep my make up in the bathroom, but its a pretty decent size ensuite and its not a humid environment... any ideas why mascara is such an issue??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Never wore much til I turned 40, now i have a new found respect for it! Love it--prinicpally b/c I think I'd scare people without it. I have my routine down to a science and am rather efficient (10 minutes for work--more time if I am at leisure...)

I love perusing the makeup counters looking for the "newest" colors, and enjoy the gift with purchases you get to try new products.

Love colored mascara's--YSL are my fav and wear it daily. You'd be surprised that others notice colored lashes! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy/Fleur de lis- just returned and swapped out L'oreal for Maybelline - can't wait to try on the new mascara!

DD is looking at a Chanel lipstick for $36... figures she needs x3!!! Ah to be young and not care about the cost of things :razz: Is Chanel lipstick worth it? I know nothing of the brand....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1330115597|3133586 said:
Missy/Fleur de lis- just returned and swapped out L'oreal for Maybelline - can't wait to try on the new mascara!

DD is looking at a Chanel lipstick for $36... figures she needs x3!!! Ah to be young and not care about the cost of things :razz: Is Chanel lipstick worth it? I know nothing of the brand....

HI:

I love Chanel lipstick, gloss and foundation. Only she can decide if it is worth it! (PS I recently returned their nailpolish since it chipped less than 24 hours after professional applications...so THAT was not worth it for me... :bigsmile: )

cheers--Sharon

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon!
I'm just curious- does it last longer than other brands? Is it smoother to apply...? Is there something unique about the brand? I suspect is the packaging mainly that she's going for - even tho its MY initials that are CC! ;-)

I don't know what the difference would be compared to other brands. Not a lipstick "officianado", obviously! I guess my old lips are just as happy with L'oreal, MAC and clinique :lol: :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1330117363|3133614 said:
Hi Sharon!
I'm just curious- does it last longer than other brands? Is it smoother to apply...? Is there something unique about the brand? I suspect is the packaging mainly that she's going for - even tho its MY initials that are CC! ;-)

I don't know what the difference would be compared to other brands. Not a lipstick "officianado", obviously! I guess my old lips are just as happy with L'oreal, MAC and clinique :lol: :lol:

HI:

Oh yes the CC makes it superior! :bigsmile: Just kidding of course.

Chanel has a nice products--Rough Allure Laqure (spelling) that is a gloss but with the (heavy) pigment of a lipstick. Perfect combo of both and staying power--and the small packing is perfect for my "pocket". Their glosses are nice quality--love the colors. That said, I also love Dior lipsticks and eyeshadow.

Truth be told I have all major brands in my bag. I still wear the Clinique "All heart" red b/c it is the only red/color that looks good on me.

Rock what you've got!

cheers--Sharon

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are a fountain of lipstick wisdom!! :kiss:

Does Dior last longer/wear better than Chanel? (I am being prompted to enquire this information...) Thanks for what ever details you can think of!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1330118380|3133625 said:

Does Dior last longer/wear better than Chanel? (I am being prompted to enquire this information...) Thanks for what ever details you can think of!

Well I haven't done any clinical trials lately :bigsmile: :saint:

Any of the sheer products look nice but don't last--or that has been my experience with Dior. I have not bought the equal in CC so I have no frame of reference for comparison.

I like the applicators of the CC lipglosses but some folks might think there is a lot of wasted product, (not accessible by applicators) left in the tubes.

The lacquer is very smooth and creamy--not tacky or sticky at all. I love that. Long(er) wearing as I mentioned with a hint of shine. The glosses are also not tacky but all thing considered, glosses in general are not long wearing.

There are products in all lines that claim super long wearing status. I don't buy them b/c they do not moisturize and I don't like that really dry feeling on my lips.

MAC has really cool colors (and pales) unrivalled by other lines. I have their summer frosts (pinks and apricots) that I adore!

cheers--Sharon

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1330119186|3133636 said:

Any of the sheer products look nice but don't last--or that has been my experience with Dior. I have not bought the equal in CC so I have no frame of reference for comparison.

I like the applicators of the CC lipglosses but some folks might think there is a lot of wasted product, (not accessible by applicators) left in the tubes.

The lacquer is very smooth and creamy--not tacky or sticky at all. I love that. Long(er) wearing as I mentioned with a hint of shine. The glosses are also not tacky but all thing considered, glosses in general are not long wearing.

There are products in all lines that claim super long wearing status. I don't buy them b/c they do not moisturize and I don't like that really dry feeling on my lips.

MAC has really cool colors (and pales) unrivalled by other lines. I have their summer frosts (pinks and apricots) that I adore!

cheers--Sharon

:lol: :lol: Good one! Just cruising the Sephora website now - wow --- how do you decide? What a fun site... I think I see another addiction in my future!

Thanks for the information :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I actually slap it on, couple minutes, tops. I've been in a "I'm fat and ugly" mood for the last few years so I don't generally bother unless I'm going to work or having lunch w/my daughter at school.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1330119607|3133640 said:
canuk-gal|1330119186|3133636 said:

cheers--Sharon

:lol: :lol: Good one! Just cruising the Sephora website now - wow --- how do you decide? What a fun site... I think I see another addiction in my future!

Thanks for the information :wavey:

My pleasure!

It is fun to go IRL and oogle/try the stuff out. Ya never know what will look "good" on you!

BTW if you don't mind "dry" products you can always just buy a liner and get a lot of long lasting color with that. I did that a few years ago with a Dior liner and it is a little more economical as well.

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
5 minutes. Bronzer, mascara, sometimes eyeliner, sometimes lip gloss.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if I am in a hurry, 5 mins. Otherwise, the routine usually takes 10-15mins. I *need* to wear mascara (and used to wear liquid eyeliner too but since Latisse that doesn't seem necessary anymore :twirl: unless I am going out ), eybrow pencil, blush and lip-gloss as a min. If I have time or if I am going out somewhere fancy, I will put on some BB cream, liquid eyeliner and eyeshadow.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
[b:yykdv37e]fleur-de-lis[/b]|1330019848|3132532 said:

Fleur de lis - LOVING this mascara - wow - goes on smoothly, no clumping, I can feel the "grip", makes my lashes look longer... thanks for the suggestion!!! :appl: (OMG - I sound like an add for Maybelline :roll: )

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the 5 minutes or less camp, maybe another 5 minutes if I'm getting fancy. Minimum is tinted moisturizer with SPF, foundation on some areas, and blush, since I have such pale/dry skin. I look dead without blush. I add eyeliner, mascara, and eyeshadow if getting dressed up. I always have a tube of lip stuff with me, like CoverGirl lipslicks, to add some color/moisture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results