shape
carat
color
clarity

Labrador nose problem!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
As some of you know, we rehomed a beautiful Labrador girl called Blossom. I am getting a little bit concerned about her nose. She has a scar on the side of her nose about 1 inch long. Its an old scar.

She snores really loudly! You can hear her at the other end of the house when she is sleeping. She also has a terrible sense of smell. If you put food right in front of her she just doesn't seem to know its there. She eats very well and seems to be in perfect physical condition.. apart from this nose thing. Also when we are out on a walk she gets sort of white foamy stuff coming out of her nostrils.

I did mention it to our vet a few weeks ago but she didn't seem very interested. She seemed to be rushing us out. I will make another appointment to see a different vet.

Has anyone got any ideas of what might be causing this? Or has anyone had a dog with the same problem?

Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any smell or bad odour coming out of her nose, mouth or with the discharge itself Bruddah? Does it bother her, is she wiping her nose with her paw or rubbing it on things?

Any sneezing or wheezing? Any other discharge or pus? Any blood or bloody specks/ streaks? I would definitely see a different vet if you feel rushed.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Bruddah!

It doesn''t seem to be hurting her. She does wipe the foamy stuff off - usually on me! She doesn''t sneeze. I wondered if it could be from an old injury. She is really jumpy. Like she is scared of people. We are being very patient with her. We love her so much. I feel so blessed to have her.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 3:06:43 PM
Author: Maisie
Hi Bruddah!

It doesn''t seem to be hurting her. She does wipe the foamy stuff off - usually on me! She doesn''t sneeze. I wondered if it could be from an old injury. She is really jumpy. Like she is scared of people. We are being very patient with her. We love her so much. I feel so blessed to have her.
Hi Bruddah!
9.gif

Poor little girl, I am so glad you have her, that is heartbreaking that she is so jumpy, but that will get better in time! I suppose it is possible it could be from an old injury but I would book in with a vet who won''t rush you and get Bloss looked at, it is probably nothing to worry about and could just be one of those things but best to check of course. Has this been going on since you first had her?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, I''m glad you''re taking her to a different vet! I''m sorry your current vet was so dismissive of this problem.
38.gif

We have two lab mixes, and neither of them have ever had a nose problem. (Although our little girl is prone to ear infections.) They do snore, but not loud enough that you can hear them the whole way across the house . . . that''s our Great Dane! LOL!
2.gif

If she has foamy discharge like you described and seems to have problems with her sense of smell, it sounds like something a knowledgeable vet should definitely take a look at. Good luck, and I''m glad you''re enjoying her so much! She''s lucky to have you guys!
21.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:09:52 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Bruddah!

Hi Bruddah!
9.gif

Poor little girl, I am so glad you have her, that is heartbreaking that she is so jumpy, but that will get better in time! I suppose it is possible it could be from an old injury but I would book in with a vet who won''t rush you and get Bloss looked at, it is probably nothing to worry about and could just be one of those things but best to check of course. Has this been going on since you first had her?
Yes its been happening since we got her about 6 weeks ago... but when the vet seemed dismissive of the problem I assumed I was just being an overreacting mummy!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:11:21 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Maisie, I''m glad you''re taking her to a different vet! I''m sorry your current vet was so dismissive of this problem.
38.gif

We have two lab mixes, and neither of them have ever had a nose problem. (Although our little girl is prone to ear infections.) They do snore, but not loud enough that you can hear them the whole way across the house . . . that''s our Great Dane! LOL!
2.gif

If she has foamy discharge like you described and seems to have problems with her sense of smell, it sounds like something a knowledgeable vet should definitely take a look at. Good luck, and I''m glad you''re enjoying her so much! She''s lucky to have you guys!
21.gif
Thank you! We can''t believe how much we love her already. She is my best friend!

We were at the beach the other day and we saw a family with 4 great danes! There was one who was obviously the puppy and he was so funny! All legs and excitement!!
30.gif

I pointed him out and told my husband I want one!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 3:17:09 PM

Hi Bruddah!

It doesn't seem to be hurting her. She does wipe the foamy stuff off - usually on me! She doesn't sneeze. I wondered if it could be from an old injury. She is really jumpy. Like she is scared of people. We are being very patient with her. We love her so much. I feel so blessed to have her.
Hi Bruddah!
9.gif

Poor little girl, I am so glad you have her, that is heartbreaking that she is so jumpy, but that will get better in time! I suppose it is possible it could be from an old injury but I would book in with a vet who won't rush you and get Bloss looked at, it is probably nothing to worry about and could just be one of those things but best to check of course. Has this been going on since you first had her?
Yes its been happening since we got her about 6 weeks ago... but when the vet seemed dismissive of the problem I assumed I was just being an overreacting mummy!
Bruddah, you are not overreacting! Get her looked at by another vet, then at least your mind will be easy, or if she does need treatment then I am sure she will be fine. It could be many things causing it which could be very treatable, so don't worry too much.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:24:34 PM

Date: 10/14/2008 3:17:09 PM

Hi Bruddah!

Hi Bruddah!
9.gif

Bruddah, you are not overreacting! Get her looked at by another vet, then at least your mind will be easy, or if she does need treatment then I am sure she will be fine. It could be many things causing it which could be very treatable, so don''t worry too much.
I will take her.

We see a couple of labs on our walks. They always sniff my pockets because there are treats in there. Blossom never does. Even Lottie can sniff them out. Although it could just be that Blossom is too well mannered to start attacking my pockets!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 3:22:19 PM

38.gif

2.gif

21.gif
Thank you! We can''t believe how much we love her already. She is my best friend!

We were at the beach the other day and we saw a family with 4 great danes! There was one who was obviously the puppy and he was so funny! All legs and excitement!!
30.gif

Ah, yes, the puppy stage! I remember it well! LOL!
2.gif
9.gif

When he was a puppy, he could fit in my lap. Unfortunately, he sometimes thinks that''s still the case!
32.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie - maybe she has some long lasting damage from whatever caused the scar. If one of her nasal passages is smaller as a result (on the inside) it could cause trouble with breathing. I think you are smart to get a second opinion

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:49:44 PM

38.gif

2.gif

21.gif

30.gif

2.gif
9.gif

When he was a puppy, he could fit in my lap. Unfortunately, he sometimes thinks that''s still the case!
32.gif
Hehe! That must be funny to see! Do you have any photos of him you can post?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:50:01 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Maisie - maybe she has some long lasting damage from whatever caused the scar. If one of her nasal passages is smaller as a result (on the inside) it could cause trouble with breathing. I think you are smart to get a second opinion
I think that must be the case. I wonder how they can check the inside... will they stick something up her nose? Poor thing will panic!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 3:55:13 PM

Date: 10/14/2008 3:50:01 PM
I think that must be the case. I wonder how they can check the inside... will they stick something up her nose? Poor thing will panic!
Various methods they can use Bruddah, and they would probably sedate her so it wouldn''t cause her any anxiety.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Biscuit had almost every problem common to Labs, but he didn''t have this problem, so I have nothing to add. I can only second (heartily) the suggestion of another vet! Poor Blossom deserves to be taken seriously! I am glad you love her so much :).

Deb
34.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 3:54:31 PM

Date: 10/14/2008 3:49:44 PM

38.gif

2.gif

21.gif

30.gif

2.gif
9.gif

32.gif
Hehe! That must be funny to see! Do you have any photos of him you can post?
Ya know, I don''t think I really have any decent ones that are in digital format! Isn''t that awful?!?! I''ve been meaning to do a photo shoot of the "kids" so this gives me an excuse to get on the ball and do it! Caesar (the Dane) went to the vet for his annual check-up and shots last Wednesday, and our two smaller dogs (Biko and Turbo) go for theirs today. Sometime soon, when I can fit it into their busy schedules, I''ll get some pics for sure!
2.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maisie, we have a Chocolate lab, and boy does he snore! Also, he is very excitable and gets very frothy at the mouth. I think it is just him (Muddy). If you are worried I would take her back to the vet. ( while you are there, could you ask ho to get a chocolate lab to stop barking at the chocolate lab in the window?! LOL)
Keep us posted on sweet Blossom!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news on Blossom, Maisie?

Deb
34.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Lorelei in that it could be many things causing it so I would get her checked by another vet. At least then your mind will be put at ease. That''s awful that the first vet rushed you out
8.gif
You''re a great mammy to your pups!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 9:58:55 AM
Author: AGBF

Any news on Blossom, Maisie?

Deb
34.gif
I''ve not had a chance to go yet Deb. I will definitely let you know what they say when I go though.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 1:23:36 PM
Author: bee*
I agree with Lorelei in that it could be many things causing it so I would get her checked by another vet. At least then your mind will be put at ease. That''s awful that the first vet rushed you out
8.gif
You''re a great mammy to your pups!
Thanks Bee! Like ILuvCarats said, Labs seem to be snorers... Its just the way her nose clicks when she is sniffing things that makes me worry. I just want a proper examination to rule out anything worrying.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 8:44:47 AM
Author: iluvcarats
Hi Maisie, we have a Chocolate lab, and boy does he snore! Also, he is very excitable and gets very frothy at the mouth. I think it is just him (Muddy). If you are worried I would take her back to the vet. ( while you are there, could you ask ho to get a chocolate lab to stop barking at the chocolate lab in the window?! LOL)
Hehe! I think Labs are just silly characters with things like that! I would think it was hilarious if Blossom did that!! Bless!! Can I see a pic of your dog? I love seeing other peoples pets!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 4:43:54 AM
Author: AGBF

Biscuit had almost every problem common to Labs, but he didn''t have this problem, so I have nothing to add. I can only second (heartily) the suggestion of another vet! Poor Blossom deserves to be taken seriously! I am glad you love her so much :).

Deb
34.gif
I feel so bad that I didn''t see these replies the other day.

What other problems do I have to look forward to with Blossom? I have already had trouble with her ears.....

I do love her loads. She is my gorgeous little fur friend!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie
They can always sedate her, or do x-ray. I worked in a vet center and I think they''d probably prefer x-ray to get a good view of the nasal cavities.
My grandmother has two labs, they both have arthritis
7.gif
but they are still happy and get around. Labs are very smart, you have to keep them active, they also tend to worry a lot, our two have had hot spots from worrying when we''re not in the house. They''re bot terrified of storms though this is just a dog thing. Otherwise we really haven''t had many problems with them!
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 2:25:18 PM
Maisie
They can always sedate her, or do x-ray. I worked in a vet center and I think they''d probably prefer x-ray to get a good view of the nasal cavities.
7.gif
but they are still happy and get around. Labs are very smart, you have to keep them active, they also tend to worry a lot, our two have had hot spots from worrying when we''re not in the house. They''re bot terrified of storms though this is just a dog thing. Otherwise we really haven''t had many problems with them!
2.gif
Blossom has become really anxious the past week or so. We think she is coming into season again already. Her ''bits'' are looking swollen and darkening in colour. I wonder if the nervousness is connected with her season.

We took her for a long walk today as its going to be very difficult to get her out in public if her season is definitely starting. I don''t want her to get pregnant again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2008 2:32:06 PM

Date: 10/17/2008 2:25:18 PM
Maisie
7.gif
2.gif
Blossom has become really anxious the past week or so. We think she is coming into season again already. Her ''bits'' are looking swollen and darkening in colour. I wonder if the nervousness is connected with her season.

We took her for a long walk today as its going to be very difficult to get her out in public if her season is definitely starting. I don''t want her to get pregnant again!
It sounds like it Bruddah, have you booked her in to be spayed yet?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The vet said it was too close to her being due into season so we should wait till afterwards... I have visions of male dogs being very friendly with my leg when I go outside!
32.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie - HAHAHAHAHAHA
Is it possible to just take her for walks in a smaller area, so no male dogs come into contact?

We just had a rescue momma have pups and are looking for homes for them now that they''re weaned. They are such delicious little furballs!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 2:17:48 PM
Date: 10/15/2008 8:44:47 AM

Author: iluvcarats

Hehe! I think Labs are just silly characters with things like that! I would think it was hilarious if Blossom did that!! Bless!! Can I see a pic of your dog? I love seeing other peoples pets!
HI Maisie!
I may have posted this before, but here is Muddy, hard at work, keeping our home safe...
20.gif
LOL

He is the sweetest. He follows me around like Mary''s little lamb!

muddycouch.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 4:07:59 PM
Maisie - HAHAHAHAHAHA
Is it possible to just take her for walks in a smaller area, so no male dogs come into contact?

We just had a rescue momma have pups and are looking for homes for them now that they''re weaned. They are such delicious little furballs!
We will take her at night so there will be less chance of her getting jumped!

We must see photos of the new babies!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results