shape
carat
color
clarity

**LA/Santa Monica GTG Gem Show-Sept. 22**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Starting a new thread with more info in the title.
Original thread

Yes:
Selkie
ChargerGrrl
Qtiekiki

Maybe:
Musey

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
bump

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Please put me as tentative

RZ

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i''m still a YES, and am looking forward to it.
hopefully we''ll get more L.A PSers on board!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I''m a maybe.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Pencil me in too - I always like going to those gem shows - so many pretty things to look at!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
bump

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
bump

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Since this event is now a little over three weeks away, I thought I''d bump it again for more input on what to do and when to do it. I''m looking forward to meeting more PSers!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Yes:
Selkie
ChargerGrrl
Qtiekiki

Maybe:
Musey
Rockzilla
LAJennifer
:) (how do you pronounce that, anyway?
9.gif
)

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed there were quite a few more maybes on the other thread so I''m updating a bit (hope you don''t mind).

Confirmed:
Selkie
Chargergrl
qtiekiki
Maybe:
ivanadiamond
kcoursolle
musey
Miranda
rockzilla
LAJennifer
StephensBride

I''m still unsure about the gem-show. As much as I want to see all the pretty sparklie''s, I''ve been swelling lately and walking around for extended periods is becoming tough (and I''m sure you don''t want me holding you back). Will have to wait and see how bad it is the day of.
I''ll be watching to see if you plan to do lunch before or after; I could definitely do that even if I miss the pretties (this preggo always has time for a good meal).

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 6:26:18 PM
Author: StephensBride
I noticed there were quite a few more maybes on the other thread so I''m updating a bit (hope you don''t mind).

I''m still unsure about the gem-show. As much as I want to see all the pretty sparklie''s, I''ve been swelling lately and walking around for extended periods is becoming tough (and I''m sure you don''t want me holding you back). Will have to wait and see how bad it is the day of.

I''ll be watching to see if you plan to do lunch before or after; I could definitely do that even if I miss the pretties (this preggo always has time for a good meal).

Thanks! I forgot those! I think people were definitely interested in having lunch or brunch beforehand, and hopefully we''ll pin something down soon.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I can go!

I just got back from my honeymoon, so I haven''t been around here much. I should be back in the swing of things by then though.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am still in. I think brunch or lunch would be great. I need to get a couple rings I got for my mom and sis resized there.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
OK, time to start thinking about details! Any more definites? I haven''t been to Santa Monica in a while so I''m not sure of the best place for brunch/lunch. I do know that the British pub (King''s Head??) does breakfast/brunch, but if you have other suggestions please chime in! Also, what time?
11? 11:30? Later?

Confirmed:
Selkie
Chargergrl
qtiekiki

Maybe:
ivanadiamond
kcoursolle
musey
Miranda
rockzilla
LAJennifer
StephensBride

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I won''t be able to join in the fun this time, but, have a great time ladies!!! Maybe I can catch everyone at the Anaheim show!

Brilliant_Rock
I still think I can come. I was checking in to see what the plans were.

Free admission... (otherwise it is like $7)
http://www.allseason.com/non_product/shows/show_invitation/santa-monica-3rd.htm

Consider Urth which is within walking distance to the show. Has a good/wide selection (both healthy and not so healthy!) and I have seen the very back patio accomodate small groups (no reservations but people tend to want the front/side patio to be seen and to watch activity anyway).

Mannys is slightly farther but still within walking distance, although it may be difficult to get a table large enough.

I haven''t eaten at Ye Old!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Urth sounds interesting, and it''s pretty close too, right? Thanks for the free admission link!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
THANKS for the complimentary admission link and the info about Urth. I''ve driven by it before and have always wanted to check it out, so it certainly gets my vote as a brunch spot for Saturday! I was thinking that a place on Main would be convenient to the convention center.

Anyway, I''m still in for Sat. What time shall we meet? The show begins at 10a- I say we eat beforehand.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2007 11:54:46 AM
Author: ChargerGrrl
THANKS for the complimentary admission link and the info about Urth. I''ve driven by it before and have always wanted to check it out, so it certainly gets my vote as a brunch spot for Saturday! I was thinking that a place on Main would be convenient to the convention center.

Anyway, I''m still in for Sat. What time shall we meet? The show begins at 10a- I say we eat beforehand.
I agree that a place on main would probably be best for brunch. Anytime will work fine with me...but I''m not too much of a morning person on weekends, so later morning is better than early morning for me.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Sorry girls. My parents will be coming down from the Bay Area to visit me for the Moon Festival, so I can't make it Saturday. I am so sorry. Have fun and take lots of pics.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear you won''t make it this time, QT, but have a nice time with your parents. I would prefer to meet no earlier than 10:30-11, since I''m like you, kcoursolle, not a morning person! Plus I live in the harbor area, so it''s a bit of a hike.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like the Consensus is:

URTH cafe
11am
Santa Monica (Main St.)

followed by Gem show

Who is in? (final count)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 1:57:39 PM
Author: rockzilla
Looks like the Consensus is:

URTH cafe
11am
Santa Monica (Main St.)

followed by Gem show

Who is in? (final count)
I''m in! By the way, here''s the website to Urth for anyone who wants to look it up. http://www.urthcaffe.com/locations.html

Should someone make a reservation?

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
oh, i''m soooo bummed to report that I probably won''t be able to make it!

DH and I leave for our 1st wedding anniversary trip at the crack of dawn sunday morning, and i''m SO NOT READY. i''ve been working long hours here in the office, and tonite will be another late night (but my last for 2 weeks!)

sorry that i''m bailing! i''d rather be hanging out with y''all than running around town doing last-minute errands and packing.

have fun!

Brilliant_Rock
I did some recon on the time limits for parking there - most street parking is limited to 2 hours (although cars could be moved after brunch - traffic dies down a lot after labor day). However, if you go up to 4th street (couple of streets back/east of Main, running parallel to Main) there is no limit on parking (although there is a high density population up there of residents). There is also a medium sized parking lot with meters at Neilsen and Hollister (Urth is at the corner of Main and Hollister and Neilsen is one incredibly short block west of Main) with a limit of 3 hours at $0.75 an hour. Also just south of Cha Cha Chicken (basically next to Shutters and Casa del Mar - kind of triangled between the show and Urth) there are parking meters for up to 5 hours for $1 an hour.

Link to Urth location which is at the northeast corner of Main and Hollister..

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=2327+main+street&city=santa+monica&state=ca&zipcode=

The civic center is just north of Pico on Main about half a mile from Urth. There is parking there, although they charge for it.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the parking info, :). You mentioned a back patio, but maybe we should meet in front first? We probably don''t need a res. since there''s only 4-5 confirmed.

Confirmed:
Selkie and maybe DH
kcoursolle
rockzilla

Maybe:
ivanadiamond
musey
LAJennifer
StephensBride

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think you are right about meeting in the front/main room! It is really raining in SM right now- the good thing is it should blow out of SM before the rest of LA since it hit the Westside first- hopefully it also means that other people won't be thinking to go out to Urth tomorrow b/c of the weather! Go figure - 3 inches of rain in the past year and it chooses this weekend to rain!! (p.s. Selkie, I am Lisa
9.gif
)

Isn't Rockzilla the one who found the OEC place near the Promenade?

eta: Happy Anniversary ChargerGirl!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Rain definitely has a paralyzing effect on LA. Hopefully traffic will be light tomorrow!

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow. Have you been to the show before, Lisa?

Brilliant_Rock
Hee hee hopefully everyone in LA will not be crashing into each other b/c they always forget to slow down when it rains and wait until the last minute to hit the brakes!!

I have been to the show a few times - I always have fun looking at the different stones and colors that all the vendors have - there is one big room where most of the main gems are, and then some areas where there are beads, etc that people can buy if they like to make jewelry and even loose stones like rubies, sapphires, tsavorites, emeralds, topazs, etc are sold in different sizes. They also usually have some antique and estate vendors (including rolexes, etc). One of the jewelry supply vendors from Texas (I believe) usually comes and they sell ultrasonics and jewelry making supplies and ring display items (that usually go in the display cases in jewelry stores), etc. I always look at the display items and think it would be really funny to buy the little fingers, etc that are put in jewelry display cases and put them in my bathroom on the counter top as a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results