shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitten/Cat tips please for a first timer!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s not me..It’s my son..He’s a full grown adult..probably older than some of you..haha He adopted a five month old kitten today. He went crazy buying him a tower condo, bedding, etc…We’ve always had dogs so I can’t give him any tips. He would really appreciate any tips you can give me so I can share them with him. He texted me quite a few times saying that the kitten will meow like it wants something..but he doesn’t know what the kitten wants. Is he trying to communicate a need like a dog does when he needs to go out or wants a treat? His name is Smokey. He‘s so adorable…He’s striped with lighter and darker gray…with a white face..His feet look like he has white socks on. Any suggestions will be passed on!
@missy We found out after we got to the shelter that kittens in another room got Ringworm! There were a few cats in a cage that have it. They were in the same room with the other kittens who were running around. There was a huge fan blowing the air around the room. All I could think of was ringworm spores.…They gave my son a tube of something in case it showed up..They said Smokey was clear so far..:oops2:
Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Congratulations to the entire family Joanne!❤️ Smokey is one lucky baby!!! :kiss2:

One thing that is important is for your son to play with the cat often. Engage him with toys. This will enable them to bond and have a great future together.

Here’s a list that I hope is helpful

Yes some cats are more vocal than others. They are trying to tell you something. In time you’ll figure it out. Hungry, wants to play, happy, unhappy, about to vomit (lol), etc. In time you’ll know exactly what they’re saying. For the most part.

As far as ringworm I’m praying he doesn’t have it. It can take a month to show. But the good news is you don’t have other furbabies and even if he does get it it will be easier to contain. And when humans get ringworm it’s much easier to treat. So try not to worry and fingers crossed she won’t come down with RW

And girrrl, you know we need photos. Cmon now. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness! Congratulations to the entire family Joanne!❤️ Smokey is one lucky baby!!! :kiss2:

One thing that is important is for your son to play with the cat often. Engage him with toys. This will enable them to bond and have a great future together.

Here’s a list that I hope is helpful

Yes some cats are more vocal than others. They are trying to tell you something. In time you’ll figure it out. Hungry, wants to play, happy, unhappy, about to vomit (lol), etc. In time you’ll know exactly what they’re saying. For the most part.

As far as ringworm I’m praying he doesn’t have it. It can take a month to show. But the good news is you don’t have other furbabies and even if he does get it it will be easier to contain. And when humans get ringworm it’s much easier to treat. So try not to worry and fingers crossed she won’t come down with RW

And girrrl, you know we need photos. Cmon now. :lol:

Thank you @missy! I will get some photos tomorrow! He was in his carrier watching me the whole time I drove them home. I would put my finger in the holes and he would rub up against it. He’s a snuggle bug..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww.
Nothing like a snuggle-loving furball. :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple pics..I will have him take a few more tomorrow. They are just two guys chilling out now after chasing each other around the house..haha
ED4BB4DB-3991-4454-9696-812CEBA1DB56.jpeg 2AE969F3-19A6-4CD1-B9EA-8D5B2BCD8605.jpeg 74EF4AF7-760A-4343-A625-F5D2FBDF29F0.jpeg

Attachments

• B64B228E-5393-45D0-BA49-5BD93B125578.jpeg
    B64B228E-5393-45D0-BA49-5BD93B125578.jpeg
    643.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 094AD491-2D49-44F0-8511-5173C44F359A.jpeg
    094AD491-2D49-44F0-8511-5173C44F359A.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 17

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww, Smokey's gorgeous!!! Congrats to your son (and you, by extension), and mostly to Smokey, who has hit the jackpot! :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple pics..I will have him take a few more tomorrow. They are just two guys chilling out now after chasing each other around the house..haha
ED4BB4DB-3991-4454-9696-812CEBA1DB56.jpeg 2AE969F3-19A6-4CD1-B9EA-8D5B2BCD8605.jpeg 74EF4AF7-760A-4343-A625-F5D2FBDF29F0.jpeg

he looks like the stray kitten who moved into our laundry over the winter, young Mr Puffball
I hope when he goes to the SPCA he gets as nice a home as Smokey
(i thought smokey would be a grey ):lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leather sofas!
Scratching pad or tree.
An igloo type bed so that the kitten to go and hide if and when he wants to and feel safe.
Feather/catnip mouse on a string is great fun.
So is a laser pointer.
Cat litter box with a lid and carbon filter for odour absorption, and place it somewhere quiet for privacy.
I prefer clumping cat litter myself.
Definitely microchip the kitty, and a small tag too.
Breakaway collar to minimise strangulation.

Mine was 2.5yo when I became her second family back in 2007. The above are my own experience from then onwards without the kitten phase.

Good luck, and the kitty is gorgeous (so is EVERY kitten and cat in my book)!

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This bed was recommended to me by the local pet shop, apparently it is their top seller.

My cat loves hers until the new dog claimed it as his own :roll2: , even though he is a tad too big for it.

So I bought her another one via Amazon, now they have one each!

1667825309970.png

DK :))

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
First, thank you to your son for adopting from a shelter and supporting their important work!

I second all the tips above, and recommend a 'Neko Flies' cat toy specifically.

My cats and foster kittens have LOVED! Friskies Party Mix treats. They were useful to bond with the semi-ferals I had once, and my own cats come running when I shake the container.

We were able to train our cats to stay off of tabletops and counters using a spray bottle with water, if that is important to him/you.

Beware of loose strings, rubber bands, dental floss, tinsel (with Christmas approaching) etc. as they can ingest them while playing causing intestinal obstruction.

Research any houseplants he has to make sure they are not on the list of the plants that are poisonous to cats.

Kittenhood is such an exciting and fun time - most of all ENJOY!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats to your son, @MamaBee! He's a handsome fella, for sure!

I highly recommend the cardboard scratchers. Two or three around the residence is great. The one pictured below is expensive, but I can attest to cats loving it above all others (others work too, and cats will use them, but something about this one is 'extra'. Cats like to sleep on cardboard for temperature regulation, and this having sides seems to be especially comfortable for that purpose). These have been effective at preventing my kitties (all but one) from scratching furniture.

1667826872722.png

I also recommend a laster pointer toy - simple but man, do cats love it. Plus, for times when you want to be lazy but kitty wants to be active, you can sit while giving them the workout of a lifetime.

Ceramic or metal bowls for food and water are preferable to plastic. Plastic can give them painful cat acne on their chins, and it's generally not good for them.

Paying attention to what you feed them, in my experience, makes a significant difference in their health. I have had many cats, and have not run into any health problems - at all! Not even skin irritations or reactions. I stay away from foods by Hills, Iams, and Purina as those companies pump a lot of money into veterinary programs, which gains loyalty and recommendations amongst vets. However, there is no nutritional health training as part of the vet programs. The recommendations are based on exposure during vet school, not on actually being healthful for cats. Last time I read up on it, that is. I let my cats have access to Instinct Grain-free dry food at timed intervals throughout the day to keep them from pestering the heck out of me for food, and I feed them Instinct wet food in the mornings. My understanding is that if you are on a tight budget, any brand of wet food is better than even the best dry food.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please inform your son he has to be a dutiful cat dad, to take and post lots of photos on the internet from now on!

DK :lol-2:

I’ll tell him! :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he has not got one already, those hand-held vacuum cleaners for cars are great for sucking up the cat litter outside the box! I keep mine by the box!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If he has not got one already, those hand-held vacuum cleaners for cars are great for sucking up the cat litter outside the box! I keep mine by the box!

Good idea!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like they are fast friends already! What a love-bug he seems to be. =)2

I thought of something else that is perhaps a bit odd, but anecdotal evidence suggests it works: making a sad chirping sound if kitty goes to bite or his claws come out while playing (learning to play with paws not claws!). My child read about this and tried it with their new kitten. It worked! Kitty learned quickly to have soft paws when playing. I have kept up with it. Any time kitty forgets and tries to nibble my fingers bc they smell yummy, or her claws come out to grab me during play, I make the noise. She looks me in the eye all concerned and immediately stops. (She is three years old now.)

I read something recently that suggested this is, in part, why kittens in pairs is helpful. They teach each other these boundaries - what hurts, and what doesn't. In the absence of another kitten to learn these things through play with, we can teach them ourselves. Makes sense to me!

All of that said, I have never had a cat who bit or scratched beyond the rare accident. I attribute that to always building trust by reading their signals and backing off when I can tell they do not wish to be touched, disturbed, etc. And being gentle - including while playing - with them.

That reminded me of one other thing - designating a safe space for kitty. A pad on his condo is a good spot - or a cave or bed that he especially loves. When he is in it, leave kitty completely alone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might not go down well with everyone, however, water pistol is great as a form of deterrent.

It works in my house, most recently with the new dog that came to me as a 5-month old puppy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This might not go down well with everyone, however, water pistol is great as a form of deterrent.

It works in my house, most recently with the new dog that came to me as a 5-month old puppy.

I did use a small bottle of water to spray Bailey..my dog..when he was little. The trainer told me to do that when he would bite me..even in play..It did work..It didn’t work when he was older..He would jump up on people and knock them over. It was embarrassing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smokey is so freaking cute! :kiss2: Big congrats to your son on this new family member. It seems like he's already doing a great job and I hope they have many years of happiness together.

A few things I think are great for a new cat including some links:

- Cardboard scratcher. Seriously, my cats are obsessed with these. And when they get destroyed (which they will), they're cheap to replace...unlike your couch. (link)

- Cat interactive toy & scratcher. I'll never be without this one. My babies love it. (link)

- Water fountain. Cats often don't get enough water so water fountains are a great way to peak their interest in fresh, moving water.

- Wet cat food. This is so important. Especially for male cats, as they are more likely to develop urinary blockages. The more moisture in their diets, the better.

- Cat tunnel. My cats love this. The boy dives into it all the time.
Link here

- Cat toy wand. (link)

- Pet cleaner. I like this one from Rocco & Roxie (link). I had 7 pets at once so I buy it by the gallon but it is available in a spray bottle too.

- Pet insurance. I can't stress enough the importance of pet insurance. I didn't have it for my pets (what can I say, I was young and stupid) and I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on them. Seriously, over 15k this year alone. Pets get old. Pets get sick. Pets end up on daily medications. Pets need emergency surgeries. Learn from my mistakes. Pet insurance is a couple hundred dollars a year. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I'm adding this cat exercise wheel. It's a splurge and a half... and it takes up a lot of space but it's amazing for high energy cats. My cat, Bandito, has way more energy than I know what to do with and if you don't know, bored cats cause trouble. It took like 2-3 months of inconsistent training to get him used to it but now he hops on it all the time. Next time I plan to train from kitten age. (Link)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't read any of the responses so forgive if I repeat some.

#1 -- Smokey should be confined in one room for a few days until he gets used to the new house and your son. His crying may be due to confusion about new sights, sounds, smells.

-- Give him a lot of play time. Before bedtime, lots of play and then a snack which help him sleep longer during the night.

-- at least 2 litter boxes in different, quiet locations around the house without a lot of foot traffic.

-- cat proof the house: cover electrical cords if he tries to chew them; make sure cupboards/closets containing toxic substances are secure where he can get stuck

-- always keep a soft/hard toy nearby and if he bites/scratches give him the toy and walk away. Any time the cat plays too rough, disengage and walk away.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary once brought Tinky a cat toy with the groceries and was terribky offened when Tiny wouldnt play with it (it was a cat nip mouse in tartin- but Tinky didnt do cat nip)

we brought this $2 cat toy from the riverside Saturady market here in Wanganui when we first moved here
it was a possom tail attached by string to a piece of bamboo
(remember the Australian bush tailed possom is a huge ecological problem here)
anyway Borris turned her nose up at it

But then Fluffa Duffa came to live with us and she loves it
we call it stick from the noise it would make at 2am being dragged around the house on the hardwood floor
The actual stick part is long gone but we still call it stick, i wish i had a photo but i still having phone problems
Good lord - people pay up to $10 for them in pet stores :lol-2:

1667851623236.png
these were Tinky's toys of choice
he would chase them all over the kitchen floor
but also if i was outside picking them up off the ground from under the clothesline
1667851262760.png
(because i needed them to hang the washing out) Tinky would think it was a game and get very sharp about possession

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1

PSA:
I've had several brands of these over my life and was never fully happy with any of then.
Recently I bought what IMO is the BEST EVAH!
Extremely powerful!
Pricey, but well made.
Ya get what ya pay for, ya know.

Disassembly for cleaning is sort of complicated and fiddly, but once I finally figured it out, it it's easy and fast.

The complexity probably is why it works so well.
The video below will help.

They recommend replacing the HEPA filter when old and clogged, but I remove it, take it outside and use my air compressor to blow the hell out of it.
Canned air is an alternative, though it (even a new can) has a tiny fraction of the cleaning air pressure compared to a real air compressor.
It is astonishing how much dust that HEPA filter can hold.
Blow it out in both directions of its air flow.

Amazon has it for $89.99, and I've see prices elsewhere for up to $140.
Totally worth it!
I like it so much I bought a second for when this one's lithium rechargeable battery dies of old age.
(And they may discontinue this model.)

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cutie!!!! Reminds me of our childhood cat!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results