Kill Facebook

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a member of FB and never will be...:praise:

i would prefer not to be but a couple of my American right wing friends on my Bruce Springsteen forum got banned (mods biased naturally) and i want to stay in touch
i only converse with them

all these long lost people from high school etc crawling out of the woodwork i do not answer their freind requests, i do not click on links, i do not keep Windows open while on Facebook
dont like it, dont trust it, dont like gossip

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good news is Pricescope is still working! :appl:
old Zuck is not having a good day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
naw Kenny didn't do it...they did it themselves or where hacked to the highest levels of the network.
They published bad routes so they can not even reach parts of themselves.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has been such a ...peaceful day, not having the little "f" tab open.....
Imagine a world where FB never came back......

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has been such a ...peaceful day, not having the little "f" tab open.....
Imagine a world where FB never came back......

But then how will I get my daily dose of memes?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't get Twitter to open on my phone. It's like cruel torture.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS FB is back up.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite certain that if FB went away, something would soon come along to take its place. Too profitable and too influential.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a good explanation.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is happening here? We are not taking advantage of the opportunity to create a delicious conspiracy theory. I'll do it:

FB whistleblower exposes Zuck's lies.
Zuck sees potential for profit loss from that exposure.
FB goes down due to a (imo questionable) oopsie.
The oopsie was deliberate to show the world what would happen if FB were meddled with by government or private sector lawsuits.
The world melts down when FB goes down.
Zuck's effyou to the masses is effective.
Alex Murdaugh's hands are all over this :bigsmile:

As an aside, Zuck was right to anticipate a loss of profits. The poor lad lost $6 billion yesterday plunging him to the 5th richest person in the world spot. Pity the poor lad.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read the thread or seen the video, but I use Facebook in a healthy way so I don't think that it should be shut down. I think it's incumbent on users to learn how to use it responsibly, which is a skill transferable to all social media.

I use it to keep up with family members who are far away. Without it, I would not know what my cousins and their children, my first cousins once removed, are up to. I enjoy being a small part of their lives via FB.

I also belong to two FB hobby groups via which I've met like-minded friends.

I never, ever go near politics on FB, so maybe that's the key. It's all fun stuff/family stuff.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think that Twitter is way more toxic than FB. Yes, FB is used by a small number of nefarious influences to spread misinformation, but there are millions more "regular" users like me.

Twitter seems to be nothing but vicious arguments and trolling, which results in people losing their jobs sometimes. I really think Twitter is horrible.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
If we're going down the route of conspiracy theory...it was aliens. Yesterday was just the start. In three years time we will look back in dismay at our glib delight in losing FB for a day, only to realise that we have now lost so much more.

(Hmm, wonder if I have been binge watching Colony just a tad :) )

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya there is live testimony underway now about FB's knowledge of how damaging Instagram is to teens and how FB is recruiting younger and younger kids to the platform. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/face...ifies-leak-fallout_n_615c5b05e4b0a15c37ff3370

I agree that the full responsibility for the negative aspects of social media doesn't rest solely on the shoulders of Zuck or Dorsey but we as a society have done a poor job of ensuring that our populace has sufficient critical thinking skills to be able to discern fact from fiction and truth from lies. We need to focus on fixing that which is, imo, a prime factor in the gullibility of certain groups of users. It is also my opinion that social media has to be charged with greater transparency and responsibility for the content and terms of service. That will probably have to happen through legislation.

There is also hypocrisy at play here. We are a capitalist society that should not be surprised at the fact the whistleblower stated that FB puts profit before people. We have a long and sordid history of business doing that and the politicians who are in the pocket of those businesses don't seem to mind until their complicity is exposed.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I deleted all my social media one year ago and have never looked back. Best decision ever. :D

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata - thanks, I didn't know about the case going on. My job takes up so much time and energy that I dip in and out of the news.

I did read something about FB wanting to attract pre-teens but that they had shelved that idea.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Deleted fb a few months back, no regrets.

Instagram is next… even though my feed is all jewellers. It doesn’t really serve any function for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results