shape
carat
color
clarity

July 4th - BBQing? Share your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 5:21:44 PM
Author: poshpepper

Date: 7/3/2007 5:14:13 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 7/3/2007 5:11:07 PM

FireGoddess -- Your menu sounds amazing... the only thing I would add is some fresh fruit. The salad and the hamburgers sound so yummy!

All this food talk is making me hungry and I just ate lunch... LOL!
LOL I need to get some fresh fruit too I guess.... I''m already making *way* too much food for just us though LOL No family around, good friends are all out of town this year... booo!!!
Your peach cobbler sounds yum... I love that stuff!

Well you will be eating good for at least a week
9.gif
I''ve never made peach cobbler... but these peaches here were so ripe and fragrant that I had to buy them despite dh hating them LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 5:11:07 PM

FireGoddess -- Your menu sounds amazing... the only thing I would add is some fresh fruit. The salad and the hamburgers sound so yummy!

Thanks - and I agree, got someone bringin some yummy fruit salad.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra and Gypsy, this recipe is very similar. Exact same ingredients. I can''t remember whether the original was 2 or 3 tbs of sugar - start with less then add more if needed. I also used turkey bacon instead of real (had some non-pork eaters present) and it was still delish. I didn''t use any parsley in mine. I threw in a couple chopped green onions for color instead.

INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
3 cups diced peeled potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
DIRECTIONS
Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 4th of July! We decided that we were not going to do (blasphemy) grilling, but potluck, as we have two small children and want to relax, don''t want to be manning the grill all the time. I''m going to make a crock pot pulled pork recipe, coleslaw, baked macaroni and cheese, (chips and dip) and made rice crispy treats last night. Someone is bringing a big salad and someone else is bringing deviled eggs, but the rest will be a surprise. Oh and my hubby is making a rum punch. He works as a bartender, so I know it will be good (he bought a fresh pineapple and other fruit to put in it!)

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Such great ideas! I''m busy copy and pasting into word docs to save in my recipe folder.... thanks everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I remembered this thread of Mrs DJ''s from last year, so linking here for more yummy ideas!

Barbecue Recipes

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 9:22:00 AM
Author: Lorelei
I thought I remembered this thread of Mrs DJ''s from last year, so linking here for more yummy ideas!

Barbecue Recipes
Thanks for the link you!

Hey, what do you people eat over there on the 4th?
41.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2007 9:24:07 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/4/2007 9:22:00 AM

Barbecue Recipes
Thanks for the link you!

41.gif
Our usual grub
28.gif
Certainly not the lovely things you will all be having....
7.gif
Maybe some carrot cake if I get lucky
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 9:30:10 AM

Thanks for the link you!

41.gif
Our usual grub
28.gif
7.gif
41.gif
Oh, I just wondered if anybody else q''d on our day...

*sobs at the cake*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2007 9:35:20 AM

Date: 7/4/2007 9:30:10 AM

Thanks for the link you!

41.gif
Our usual grub
28.gif
7.gif
41.gif

*sobs at the cake*
S'' only fair I get something!
face20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 9:38:41 AM

Date: 7/4/2007 9:35:20 AM

*sobs at the cake*
S'' only fair I get something!
face20.gif
Oh, I suppose so.
25.gif
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, the asparagus goat cheese concoction was a huge hit - people didn''t even know they were eating asparagus. I will say that I thought I was ingenious to pick a recipe where you don''t have to blanch the asparagus...but peeling it into thin ribbons took FAR MORE work than cooking them would have!!! Just an FYI. People loved it though. We also had lots of hot dogs and the hamburgers with gorgonzola inside, some sort of steak DH made, lots of chicken skewers, kofte kebabs, watermelon, corn on the cob, asian cucumber salad, guacamole and chips, a food network dip made with goat cheese, ricotta, lemon peel, and basil (yum), SIL made a potato salad....then there was apple pie, chocolate brownie cake, cheesecake....holy moly it was a lot of food!

Keeping Holly kitty company right now as this is her first year for fireworks. She can barely hear them anyway, but the big booms do cause her to investigate. Chloe is under the bed as usual. Didn''t make an appearance today, though I figured that would happen.
2.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
That menu sounds like it all delicious
18.gif

I was hoping someone would try that shrimp pasta salad so I could reply feedback to my friend, oh well next time.

It sounds like everyone had a great 4th!

I had Bbq, corn salad, potato salad, baked beans with ground turkey, spaghetti, and it all turned out really good,

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry - I don''t like seafood or shellfish so (selfishly!) I don''t serve it when I have a party.
9.gif
Hopefully someone else tried it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
our 4th of july food was fabulous!! we did burgers made with 93/7 beef, onions, eggs, worsteshire sauce, garlic powder, salt pepper. then on top while cooking put a slice of cotswold cheese. they turned out awesome and got RAVE reviews, greg said whatever i did to keep doing it next time haha.

for snacks we had guiltless gourmet chili lime and blue corn chips, a few diff types of salsa and fresh guac. hebrew national hot dogs. sara lee white wheat buns. we also had the corn and edamame salad which also got rave reviews, i made what had to be the world''s largest fruit salad with peaches, watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, strawberries, blueberries and kiwi...VERY tasty when all mixed together and let sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours. deviled eggs of course, and alexa baked garlic rosemary fries.

for dessert i just put out the fruit salad, as well as some blueberries and raspberries, a few diff types of ice cream, root beer, whipped cream and dessert dishes and bowls and let people do whatever they wanted..root beer floats, ice cream with fresh berries, ice cream with fruit salad, fruit salad with whipped cream etc. it was awesome. oh and i made white fruity sangria as well. all around a great menu and lots of fun. hope everyone had a fab 4th!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had burgers with Cotwold... big raves there too. A huge fruit salad and regular salad. Chocolate dipped strawberries and home made ice cream. A games of REALLY bad -- but hilarious-- pool.

We had a nice time. Low key and laid back. Food wasn't the center of the day, which was FABULOUS. Just laughing and having fun... the food was just a bonus. Nice change of pace.

FG... didn't have time to make the German Potato... but will definitely do this recipe for our next cook out.

INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
3 cups diced peeled potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
DIRECTIONS
Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
4th of July food is so GOOD. We just had another couple over for dinner and it was fab. We made grilled chicken that was marinated in evoo/lemon juice, an arugula/tomato/red onion salad with red wine vinegar and evoo, and GERMAN POTATO SALAD. Thanks to this thread for the inspiration! The recipe I used was from allrecipes, and very close to the one posted in this thread. It turned out delicious. But by far, the star of the night was chocolate pie. An oreo pie crust, with sliced banana layered on the bottom, then a dark chocolate/homeade custard is poured over it, and sets in the fridge for a few hours. We topped with heavy whipped cream that I mixed up in the kitchenaid with a little confectioners sugar and vanilla, and it was DIVINE. Can''t wait for thanksgiving...
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay Lindsey, you ARE posting that chocolate oreo pie recipe right? RIGHT?
3.gif

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I really warn against making it... it''s actually TOO good... but if you must...
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Here it is!

Haha. It calls for a baked pie shell, I just bought a prepared oreo crust, you could use a graham cracker crust too. And I also sliced up 3 bananas, layering those on the crust before pouring in the custard. Yummm.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 6:09:08 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
I really warn against making it... it''s actually TOO good... but if you must...
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Here it is!

Haha. It calls for a baked pie shell, I just bought a prepared oreo crust, you could use a graham cracker crust too. And I also sliced up 3 bananas, layering those on the crust before pouring in the custard. Yummm.
Hehe actually that sounds divine!! but I also got an idea from your sliced bananas comment...I adore banana creme pie and just thought OH I could totally make a healthier version with sugar free banana jello pudding (which i love) mixed with ff cool whip and layered bananas as well. then ff whipped cream on top. YUM.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 7:35:16 PM
Author: Mara

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Here it is!

Hehe actually that sounds divine!! but I also got an idea from your sliced bananas comment...I adore banana creme pie and just thought OH I could totally make a healthier version with sugar free banana jello pudding (which i love) mixed with ff cool whip and layered bananas as well. then ff whipped cream on top. YUM.

So I just got an idea from YOUR comment -- I''m gonna MAKE that banana cream pie! Today I picked up SF banana pudding, bananas, a nilla wafer premade crust, and lite cool whip... we shall see!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 1:13:54 PM

Date: 7/5/2007 7:35:16 PM
Author: Mara

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Here it is!

So I just got an idea from YOUR comment -- I''m gonna MAKE that banana cream pie! Today I picked up SF banana pudding, bananas, a nilla wafer premade crust, and lite cool whip... we shall see!
9.gif
haha so funny since the other night i was floating around the kraft site looking for something like this to see if my ''idea'' already existed. they actually do have one on their site, also you can do an oreo crust too, for a black bottom kind of pie. but i love the idea of the SF banana with bananas, cool whip and some nillas....mmmm. i actually have SF banana in the pantry at home so next time i get some bananas i might see what i can whip up.
3.gif
let me know how it comes out!! you could probably even top the whipped cream on top with some more crumbled nillas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results