shape
carat
color
clarity

July 4th - BBQing? Share your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are doing a BBQ this 4th of July and I'm definitely searching for ideas! I don't usually grill so DH will be taking care of that, but I'd love some fresh new ideas for main items and salads, even summer cocktails. What are you guys making?

Some things on my tentative list:

Hebrew National All Beef Dogs, 97% fat free
Hamburgers (probably stuffed with a nugget of cheese like gorgonzola or something)
Some type of chicken
Some type of steak
Corn on the cob
Tomato salad
Asparagus/Lemon/Goat cheese salad
Potato salad (German style - vinegary dressing, not mayo)

Some fun, cold cocktail?

Help!!!
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always make a greek orzo salad. Yummy served hot or cold and works well for a BBQ. I don''t really have a recipe, but I make orzo pasta, throw in some pesto, feta cheese, and then some chunks of tomatoes (my favs are quartered cherry tomatoes). Add a little salt and pepper and you''re done.

It''s always a hit when I bring it to parties.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL FG I posted this almost exact same thing in the WWT thread...but on a more healthy vein.

we are hosting a BBQ for some friends and i want to offer a small menu this year (normally we have WAY too much food) with 99% healthy options so that it doesn't have to be one of those totally bad-for-you holidays.

i want to do burgers this year (last year we did steak, year before we did something else) so i am thinking either basic lean beef burgers with a thick slice of sharp cheddar on top OR stuffed with bleu cheese as you mentioned. either way it's not too bad for you and the taste on either is so amazing and rich. i like the sara lee hamburger buns that are only like 120 cals each as opposed to some other ones which can run up to 300 per bun!

then i am doing the corn, edamame, red pepper salad i made a few weeks ago for father's day (posted recipe in healthy WWT thread); bacon deviled eggs (using light mayo and the center cut bacon); a fresh fruit salad (with kiwi, blueberries, watermelon, pineapple, strawberries)....all of which i have made before at various gatherings to rave reviews from guests.

and then for dessert i am torn. i would love to make something like a cobbler with blueberries as they are so in season right now and so tasty...i found a good healthy recipe online at cooking light for a fairly large portion at like 280 cals and would serve it with 100 cal vanilla breyers ice cream. but then i thought oh something simple like root beer floats with light ice cream could be awesome too, everyone loves those right?! or i thought mini frozen cheesecakes or bon bons from TJ's could be fun too. or ice cream sundaes with bananas and strawberries, sugar free hersheys, ff whipped etc. way too many options here.

curious to see what others are making and also if anyone has something that is out of this world but still healthy!!! my fave types of recipes are those that don't taste 'light' but really are.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m posting my suggestion for hamburger cheese on here too:

I just found THIS cheddar a couple of weeks ago and it is... PHENOMENAL plain with beer... or just... out of this freaking world on Burgers. English Cotswold - Double Gloucester with Chives and shallots. OMG. And it''s so flavorful you only need a THIN slice on the burgers. (Get the Whole Foods Brand it''s the best-- the Trader Joes while cheaper is no where NEAR as flavorful).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and on a drinkie poo i am torn between a fruity white sangria (huge hit at our last party, we went through like 8 bottles of wine for 9 people!) or something else...i had a drink made for me recently at a restaurant that i just loved over ice in a cocktail glass. it was citron vodka, cranberry juice, peach schnapps, juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes, and grenadine. SO tasty and refreshing too.

or maybe something like a fun punch with sherbet in it or something. though that could double as a dessert i guess as well!

oh and gypsy that cheese sounds familiar to one i have gotten at whole foods before, it's a sharp cheddar with chives in it and something else, super rich and flavorful. i can taste it right now. that would be great on a burger for sure.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy that cheese is awesome. Very potent, and yummy. Can definitely do with a thin slice.

Mara your menu sounds great! I want to keep the options healthy too, as much as possible with the (almost) fat free hot dogs, do the burgers with lean meat for sure, have chicken breasts as well as thighs. Don't know about the steak though. Might leave that up to DH.

The shaved asparagus salad I want to try is actually from this month's Cooking Light. Recipe is here. Looked yummy and easy. Don't even have to cook the asparagus, as it's paper thin shaved!

Those drinks sound good. I'm on a hunt. I came across one that was kind of slushy and the main ingredient was watermelon. YUMMMY! Can't remember where I found it though. Have to dig through the magazines I was reading.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love to make an orzo salad too but a tad different. Mine has orzo, feta, olives, halved cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, and Christie''s greek salad dressing. I like it ''cause you add whatever you want to it and it still tastes yummy. I''ve added grilled chicken to it and that''s really good too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a REALLY good dessert recipe if you want it. Lightly flavored whipped cream (the real stuff) mixed with strawberries and blueberries, which you layer and decorate the top like a flag.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 7:36:32 PM
Author: Ellen
I have a REALLY good dessert recipe if you want it. Lightly flavored whipped cream (the real stuff) mixed with strawberries and blueberries, which you layer and decorate the top like a flag.
Oooh sure, that sounds delish!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to put a plug in here to throw more stuff on the grill! we''re having a blast grilling corn, zuchinni (cut in half lengthwise), potatoes and tomatoes... we even bought some grillable cheese, but that didn''t work with skewers like the directions said. Also pineapple and watermelon are on my "must grill" list. We use propane... don''t know that this would all work on a charcoal grill.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 7:49:00 PM
Author: sumbride
Also pineapple and watermelon are on my ''must grill'' list. We use propane... don''t know that this would all work on a charcoal grill.
Oooh, that sounds good. We have a propane grill so hmmm..grilled watermelon? Seriously? Never tasted that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, here it is. And it really is yummy.

4th of July Dessert.

3-8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese (softened)

3 c. heavy cream, whipped

3/4 c. sugar

3/4 tsp. vanilla extract

3/4 tsp. almond extract

2 quarts strawberries, halved

2 quarts blueberries

(I usually use a bit less fruit, unless I'm making it for a real crowd)

In lg bowl, beat cr. ch., sugar and extracts. Fold in the whipped cream.

(reserve about 20 berry halves, and 1/2 c. blueberries)

In large bowl (I use a clear glass one just cuz it's prettier) layer 1/3 cream mixture in bottom. Then layer 1/3 of mixed berries, keep repeating, ending with cream.

To make the flag, in upper left corner, make small rows of blueberries in a square shape for the stars, then rows of strawberries to make the stripes.

And enjoy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh FG we recently had grilled peaches and pineapple and it was soo tasty. i tried the peaches at home 2 weekends ago and they were TASTY. you make a little bit of a carmelizing mixture with brown sugar and warm water and then brush it onto the peaches, skewer them up and then slap them on the grill. the pineapple was the same idea. i haven''t done watermelon but it sounds good too. the best part is that it''s kind of like dessert but it''s part of the meal too. i imagine pairing these with ice cream would be divine as well, kind of that smokey sweet taste...mmm!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 6:15:08 PM
Author:FireGoddess
We are doing a BBQ this 4th of July and I'm definitely searching for ideas! I don't usually grill so DH will be taking care of that, but I'd love some fresh new ideas for main items and salads, even summer cocktails. What are you guys making?

Some things on my tentative list:

Hebrew National All Beef Dogs, 97% fat free
Hamburgers (probably stuffed with a nugget of cheese like gorgonzola or something)
Some type of chicken
Some type of steak
Corn on the cob
Tomato salad
Asparagus/Lemon/Goat cheese salad
Potato salad (German style - vinegary dressing, not mayo)

Some fun, cold cocktail?

Help!!!
1.gif
It wouldn't be the Fourth of July without Hebrew National hot dogs! And the rest of your menu sounds pretty good too FG. It reminds me that we need to finalize our own barbecue menu.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 6:48:48 PM
Author: Mara
oh and on a drinkie poo i am torn between a fruity white sangria (huge hit at our last party, we went through like 8 bottles of wine for 9 people!) or something else...i had a drink made for me recently at a restaurant that i just loved over ice in a cocktail glass. it was citron vodka, cranberry juice, peach schnapps, juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes, and grenadine. SO tasty and refreshing too.

or maybe something like a fun punch with sherbet in it or something. though that could double as a dessert i guess as well!

oh and gypsy that cheese sounds familiar to one i have gotten at whole foods before, it''s a sharp cheddar with chives in it and something else, super rich and flavorful. i can taste it right now. that would be great on a burger for sure.
And I need to add this wonderful sounding beverage to our celebration - sounds fabulous Mara!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where is the apple pie FG?
2.gif

Hubby usually makes a delicious mustard steak, burgers w/garlic, baked beans, salad, fruit, french bread, green beans and wine.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 7:51:02 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 6/25/2007 7:49:00 PM
Author: sumbride
Also pineapple and watermelon are on my ''must grill'' list. We use propane... don''t know that this would all work on a charcoal grill.
Oooh, that sounds good. We have a propane grill so hmmm..grilled watermelon? Seriously? Never tasted that.
I haven''t tried it yet, but it''s supposed to carmelize the outside and the inside is supposed to still be cool and crisp and refreshing... so I guess that means "don''t cook it too long"!!!
2.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Traditionally we have 4th of July skewers.

Cubes of steak, chicken, shrimp

Small red potatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Green peppers
Onions
Giant Mushrooms

Look forward to it EVERY YEAR!!!

Pink Lemonade Twist
Fill a glass with crushed ice and add vodka and triple sec.
Add a splash of cranberry juice to make this a pink
Top off the drink with sweet and sour mix. Add a lemon wedge for garnish and serve.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so we just firmed up plans for the Fourth.

Anyone have a good recipe for:

A nicoise salad?

or a german potato salad (no mayo)

I might try the orzo salad which sounds yummy Zoe.

Or I might check out the asparagus salad FG talked about.

We are taking the burgers (thanks Mara for the Sara Lee bun recommedation), the cheese (cotswold), lettuce, tomatoes onions and a salad of some sort over a friends house and they will provide the rest.

I want something good an flavorful for the salad, presonally I love a good Nicoise.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 11:58:16 AM
Author: Gypsy
I will get you my recipe Gypsy. It's THE BEST RECIPE. No really, I'm not making it up. It's from the Cook's Illustrated cookbook 'The Best Recipe.' The new edition.
9.gif
Hee hee. Just got my coffee and it hasn't kicked in yet. Anyway, I made it for a party at my SIL's house and several guests asked for the recipe. I'll try to remember to find it tonight, or at least sometime this week (don't know if we unpacked that box yet)!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Here''s something a little different... it''s great for vegans too! I served it at my recent "Fiesta!" and it went over VERY well. 15 people asked me for the recipe!!! The steaming of the quinoa was kind of a pain, but apparently you can also do it in your rice cooker, if you have one. I would make this again in a heartbeat. It''s from epicurious.com

QUINOA AND BLACK BEAN SALAD
Gourmet, July 1994

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quinoa, though technically a seed in the herb category, has traditionally been considered a valuable member of the grain family. A sacred source of strength for the ancient Incas, it is enjoying as a new popularity here in the United States.

The secret of the success of this salad is the steaming of the quinoa. (The tradional cooking method for quinoa, boiling it in a measured amount of water, does not produce the light, fluffy texture that works so well in a salad.) This dish provides a complete protein and can stand alone as a luncheon or light supper entrée.

serving size

Serves 4 to 6 as an entrée or 8 as a side dish.

ingredients
1 1/2 cups quinoa (small disk-shaped seeds)*
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed if canned
1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 pickled jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
For dressing
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
*available at specialty foods shops and natural foods stores

preparation

In a bowl wash quinoa in at least 5 changes cold water, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off most of water, until water runs clear and drain in a large fine sieve.

In a saucepan of salted boiling water cook quinoa 10 minutes. Drain quinoa in sieve and rinse under cold water. Set sieve over a saucepan of boiling water (quinoa should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, about 10 minutes (check water level in kettle occasionally, adding water if necessary).

While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeños, and coriander and toss well.

Make dressing:
In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, and cumin and add oil in a stream, whisking.
Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 1:14:47 PM

I will get you my recipe Gypsy. It''s THE BEST RECIPE. No really, I''m not making it up. It''s from the Cook''s Illustrated cookbook ''The Best Recipe.'' The new edition.
9.gif
Hee hee. Just got my coffee and it hasn''t kicked in yet. Anyway, I made it for a party at my SIL''s house and several guests asked for the recipe. I''ll try to remember to find it tonight, or at least sometime this week (don''t know if we unpacked that box yet)!
That would be great FG! Thanks!

YMA

Shiny_Rock
My best girlfriend makes this awesome "take" on Shrimp Pasta Salad, and everyone raves about it at every function:

1-2 lbs box Spaghetti Noodles

1-3 lbs of cooked Deveined(sp?) Shrimp (with tail on or off depending on how you like them)

1-2 large bottles of low fat Italian dressing (the pasta soaks up the dressing so keep some on hand if the salad starts getting dry during the party)

1 very small bunch of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped should be about the size of a small fist

1-2 large tomatoes chopped in medium bite sized pieces

3-4 green onions (scaillons) chopped in small pieces using mostly the green part for color

1 bottle of MCCormicks Salad Supreme Seasoning-you can find it in the seasoning-spice aisle

You can add more or less of certain ingredients according to your taste.

Cook noodles according to package, drain and set aside to cool while you are chopping the other ingredients. When the noodles have cooled mix everything together and use Italian dressing and Salad Supreme to season to your taste. My girlfriend jst kinda mixes it all together with her hands.

I am not specfic with exactly "how much" you need of each ingredient b/c you have eyeball all the ingredients for the amount of people you are serving but this is the jist of the recipe.

This has a strong a exotic taste and it's a good side dish for all types of meat.

I hope this recipe and how to makes sense, I am the anti-cook.

I am the only one in my family that isn't a good cook, when I met my husband I told him I can't cook worth a D*mn but if you hang with me you for sure won't miss any meals.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

If anyone makes this recipe I would be interested to see if you liked it or not.

Also, what you did or didn''t like about it.

My girlfriend is interested in starting a catering business and would input.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 10:18:55 PM
Author: Skippy123
Where is the apple pie FG?
2.gif

Hubby usually makes a delicious mustard steak, burgers w/garlic, baked beans, salad, fruit, french bread, green beans and wine.
what is mustard steak?

instead of starting another thread I did a search cause I thought I remembered there already was one! ha!

I was wanting to get some ideas... I am planning to do ribs and chicken and I bought some steaks and I bought LAMB ribs which I''ve never had before and I may or may not make... and I think I might get some hot dogs... maybe, maybe not. I''m making potato salad and corn and a peach cobbler (poor dh hates peaches) but I thought I needed something - ooooho I know, corn bread! I love cornbread! Oooh and baked beans.... I just got back from the store but I need to go to another store and get some other things so that''s on the list now LOL

do you make your own or buy canned? I''ve never made my own so I think I''ll stick with canned LOL I want to know more about mustard steak though!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 1:14:47 PM

I will get you my recipe Gypsy. It''s THE BEST RECIPE. No really, I''m not making it up. It''s from the Cook''s Illustrated cookbook ''The Best Recipe.'' The new edition.
9.gif
Hee hee. Just got my coffee and it hasn''t kicked in yet. Anyway, I made it for a party at my SIL''s house and several guests asked for the recipe. I''ll try to remember to find it tonight, or at least sometime this week (don''t know if we unpacked that box yet)!
Hey, FG - has the coffee kicked in yet?
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I actually meant to bump this thread. I searched everywhere and can''t find the darn cookbook (it is so pathetic we have been there 2 months and still have boxes to unpack
20.gif
). I recall the ingredients so let me see if I can find something similar.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock

FireGoddess -- Your menu sounds amazing... the only thing I would add is some fresh fruit. The salad and the hamburgers sound so yummy!

All this food talk is making me hungry and I just ate lunch... LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 5:11:07 PM
Author: poshpepper

FireGoddess -- Your menu sounds amazing... the only thing I would add is some fresh fruit. The salad and the hamburgers sound so yummy!

LOL I need to get some fresh fruit too I guess.... I''m already making *way* too much food for just us though LOL No family around, good friends are all out of town this year... booo!!!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 5:14:13 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 7/3/2007 5:11:07 PM
Author: poshpepper

LOL I need to get some fresh fruit too I guess.... I''m already making *way* too much food for just us though LOL No family around, good friends are all out of town this year... booo!!!
Your peach cobbler sounds yum... I love that stuff!

Well you will be eating good for at least a week
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results