carat
color
clarity

job interview -- advice & dust

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient said:
iLander|1443665042|3933672 said:
Has he been mentioning his personal side projects during these interviews? I suggest that he not do that.

As someone that has hired/fired many employees over the years, I will always go for the one that gives me zero hesitancy.

Have you considered moving to another area? Relocate for a job? Sometimes fate tries to tell us something, and when there are lots of difficulties, sometimes it's time to consider another path.

Dust for you, piles of dust. Sorry that you're in this difficult phase right now. :(sad

Interesting question... He would never mention side stuff, but he does have our little company listed on his resume. I know that has caused some question at a couple of interviews but he didn't even get phone calls until that was added on. I have heard some of his answers on phone interviews and he basically puts it as he enjoys coding and software projects so set the company up as a way to get some of the stuff he writes out there for people to use. Happy to walk away from company as the product is done and now it is just out there to be used and doesn't need his help.

Said nicer than that, but that is the gist. Not sure if this is good or bad?

We have been talking about leaving the area if a company wanted him to relocate. This is not really a good choice for us, but we have not ruled it out entirely. Moving would almost certainly mean massive legal expenses as A's mother is in this area too. She started to melt down when SHE suggested I finish my degree at a university two hours away. Knowing her and what we have been through, it would be an ugly expensive move.

I asked because you had the topic of the software contract previously.

Why would legal fees result from moving away from mom? Would she sue you for moving? :confused:

Have you considered refinancing to cash out on your equity?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1443716012|3933796 said:
TooPatient said:
iLander|1443665042|3933672 said:
Has he been mentioning his personal side projects during these interviews? I suggest that he not do that.

As someone that has hired/fired many employees over the years, I will always go for the one that gives me zero hesitancy.

Have you considered moving to another area? Relocate for a job? Sometimes fate tries to tell us something, and when there are lots of difficulties, sometimes it's time to consider another path.

Dust for you, piles of dust. Sorry that you're in this difficult phase right now. :(sad

Interesting question... He would never mention side stuff, but he does have our little company listed on his resume. I know that has caused some question at a couple of interviews but he didn't even get phone calls until that was added on. I have heard some of his answers on phone interviews and he basically puts it as he enjoys coding and software projects so set the company up as a way to get some of the stuff he writes out there for people to use. Happy to walk away from company as the product is done and now it is just out there to be used and doesn't need his help.

Said nicer than that, but that is the gist. Not sure if this is good or bad?

We have been talking about leaving the area if a company wanted him to relocate. This is not really a good choice for us, but we have not ruled it out entirely. Moving would almost certainly mean massive legal expenses as A's mother is in this area too. She started to melt down when SHE suggested I finish my degree at a university two hours away. Knowing her and what we have been through, it would be an ugly expensive move.

I asked because you had the topic of the software contract previously.

Why would legal fees result from moving away from mom? Would she sue you for moving? :confused:

Have you considered refinancing to cash out on your equity?

It is a great question! I hope his answer comes across okay. If asked, he has been willing to give up side company immediately and happily.

The mom is not mentally stable. Our best case would be re-doing the parenting plan. Last time, that was ugly. She had been thinking of moving and she was trying to insist WE pay to transport "A" (and at least one of us so,the wasn't traveling alone) to visit her every week... Even if it meant flying one day, visiting for half a day, and flying home.
Worst case is she tries to take custody or won't come to a slightly sane plan in which case we are back to fighting in court for big $$$$. Technically, we could move and then deal with it but then we would be stuck coming back for all the court stuff.
Expensive even if court agrees you are right.

I did ask about refi and was told by the bank (and two other lenders I checked with) that it is not an option as we have no income.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still applying all over town and hoping for good luck there. Still doing online certificates to hopefully help. Using every job resource I can find.

DH has a former co-worker and friend who has a successful app for Windows phone. Needs it on Android and iOS. Hoping to work something out there. Paid contract ideally. A good reference and intro into consulting may be good too. Will see.

I also may have a buyer for our airplane. Asking a fraction of what it could sell for given time to wait. Not a huge amount, but would bring us current on mortgage and other bills plus one month extra.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!!!

I got hired!!!!!

Okay, so it is a 2 month contract that barely covers the mortgage but it is a start! I also get first considertion for other projects with the company.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1444422018|3936755 said:
Yay!!!!!

I got hired!!!!!

Okay, so it is a 2 month contract that barely covers the mortgage but it is a start! I also get first considertion for other projects with the company.
Congratulations!!! This is great news. I am very happy for you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

I hope this is just the beginning, with more good developments to come!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Way to go!. I'm happy for you!.

Annette

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow TP great news! Congratulations!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news - congrats!!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's fabulous, TooPatient! Congratulations!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:
Great news!!!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news! Congratulations.
Here's hoping this is just the start to more, and more, great news!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FAB

U

LOUS!!!!!!

Congratulations, you are on your way :appl: :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on landing a job when you need it most. Wishing this will be the start of where things change for the better for your family. *Dust, dust*

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, TP!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's wonderful, you've worked so tirelessly to obtain employment. They say good news comes in threes, so here's wishing you and yours 2 more pieces of good news & then 3 more!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!!!!!!

Well, tentative.

DH just had an amazing interview. Manager said he will be sending an offer as soon as he clears it with his whoever it is. So, hoping all goes well, he will have an offer in hand next week.

Until then. I am exhausted but enjoying work. Will get first paycheck in a couple of weeks. Not huge, but it will help.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things really seem to be looking up - congrats! Very happy for both of you!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
dust dust dust your way!

a little money coming in to the household budget & consideration on future projects . . . . :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah! You were so overdue for good news! :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Sending dust that he gets an offer in hand very soon! :appl:

Congrats on having the first paycheck on the way too! :clap:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Yay! That is great news, TP! Hope everything goes smoothly and your DH gets an offer next week.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news TooPatient! Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! Great news!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: to the paycheck and great interview!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Too Patient!!! Please keep us posted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats wonderful TooPatient!!! Hoping it goes just as well for your DH!!! A tornado of job dust being sent!!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1444422018|3936755 said:
Yay!!!!!

I got hired!!!!!

This is wonderful news and hopefully just the beginning of lots of good things to come your way!!!! :clap: :dance: =)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are preparing Corp-to-corp contract right now. They got the info to finish writing it up. Should have signed offer by end of day. Then background check and all that. Start date may be as early as Monday!

Life is amazing! Still a little reserved in excitement just because who knows, but this is great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results