shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler set the wrong stone—wants me to return ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 11:57:53 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 9/26/2006 11:25:04 PM

Author: diamondfan

Guess this begs the queation ''If a tree falls in the forrest and no one heard it did it still make a sound?'' Does it count as an upgrade if she did not know what was being upgraded?! Just trying to find some humor here...seriously, I cannot see how or why she would be disappointed when she is likely getting a better stone in the end. Yes, aggravation and annoyance for Gutman, but, ultimately, if he gets the nicer stone and gets to make payments that are comfortable on the wallet, and the stone was not earmarked for anyone else''s ring, I just see an accident turning into something nice...
We needed some humor DF, well said!!! And I agree if they can make the payment terms that are comfortable for him, it''s all good. At least one can hope!!! And for the record, I never once thought gutman was trying to cheat this jeweler, or be slick as someone put it. Hey he was on the recieiving end of a poorly handled situation and handled it in a repsectable manor. For that I give him kudos.
2.gif

Thanks...I just noticed my post is filled with typos...never sleep and type!
21.gif

I also was a bit surprised with some of the insinuations that Gutman was being somehow dishonest or not on the up and up. HE thought he had the stone he paid for til the phone call which was vague and odd. He has not stated he does not intend to be moral or do the right thing, just questioning some things, legitimately, I think. I never got the sense that he was not going to behave fairly or honorably. Why that was assumed I do not know, but if I were in his shoes, I would ask questions and go through management before I would take her ring off her finger...jmho...Thanks Kaleigh
35.gif
to you...

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 8:07:58 PM
Author: kenny
If the jeweler called and said, 'Keep the ring, it's on us' it would not be stealing.
So, since the jeweler isn't doing the right thing, gutman is a thief??
33.gif

I don't understand why you are so willing to condemn the victim here? Gutman hasn't even made a decision as to how he will handle the situation and you have called him a thief, immoral and unethical. He was given the wrong ring, asked to bring it back without explaination and you expect him to rip it off his fiance's hand and high tail it over to the jewelers. Even you have admitted that the jewelers haven't handled things professionally. The way I see it, Gutman would be the idiot to not question the situation and take time to figure out how to handle it as this isn't just his ring anymore. I think maybe your horse is too high and you can't see clearly.

j_yeh

Rough_Rock
Mistakes happen, though it shouldn''t we are humans.

I feel bad for gutman and understand the sentiment behind his fiancee''s e-ring but I think the start of a marriage is all about perfect trust, and perfect love. If she truly loves you, she will appreciate any ring you give her and if you are honest about the situation she will respect you.

Keeping such an incident a secret is just like lying in my book. Let her know what has happened and she will see that its not your fault. Maybe the two of you can discuss what actions to take together. Can you honestly spend the beginning of the rest of your life knowing the ring you got her caused so much confusion and frustration?

I suggest you work something out with the jeweler, because a happy customer is a forever customer and I am sure they want to keep you as a good customer, hence extending a discount.

Bottom line, the jeweler should have been more careful with which stone he set, but they offered a discount for the better stone which I think is fair and I hope Gutman can work something out with them. Good luck!!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the jeweller has been unimpressive so far, and that you would be better off returning the ring and diamond for a FULL refund and taking your business elsewhere.

-BUT-

You said that your fiancee would take a request for her ring back as 'an emotional pimp-slap to the head'. This speaks volumes. Taking the ring back is not an option.

So. This jeweller needs to pull their socks up and earn their way back into your good graces. I'm thinking about what effect it could have if you dropped their name here on PS. (I'm guessing all sorts of bad) You have ETHICALLY and carefully avoided doing so, and they need to come more than halfway now. I agree that giving it to you for less than $1300, and for interest free financing, is a start.

The original mistake might have been a honest one, but they have compounded it by shadiness and failing to adequately make it up to you.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 1:03:21 AM
Author: Galateia
I agree that the jeweller has been unimpressive so far, and that you would be better off returning the ring and diamond for a FULL refund and taking your business elsewhere.

-BUT-

You said that your fiancee would take a request for her ring back as ''an emotional pimp-slap to the head''. This speaks volumes. Taking the ring back is not an option.

So. This jeweller needs to pull their socks up and earn their way back into your good graces. I''m thinking about what effect it could have if you dropped their name here on PS. (I''m guessing all sorts of bad) You have ETHICALLY and carefully avoided doing so, and they need to come more than halfway now. I agree that giving it to you for less than $1300, and for interest free financing, is a start.

The original mistake might have been a honest one, but they have compounded it by shadiness and failing to adequately make it up to you.
If I was asked to take the ring back for something lesser, yeah that would suck... but if I were getting an upgrade already?! I think I might go for that lol And whatever he is paying at the B&M store I bet he''d get a better stone for the same $ from online.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps I''m not the best one to speak for your fiancee (because I obviously wasn''t sentimental about my first stone), but I would speak with the owner of the store and tell him how frustrated you are with the situation. See if he will up the price of $200 to maybe $500 or so. Then explain the situation to your gal and see if she would be willing to take the original stone (it will look identical and VERY white if it''s an ideal cut H).

Maybe the $$ incentive will buy a nice diamond pendant that will lessen the blow of having to give back the F VS1 stone.

Good luck!

hey joey

Rough_Rock
Take the deal the jeweler is loosing money on this whole deal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check any vender on ps and see what the price is on fvs2 is selling for. It's an honest mistake.......
Life already has very high pressure.....enjoy the engagement period ......

Start the engagement/marriage with a blessing and with many happiness with each other.

I am sure when you return to purchase the wedding bands he will give you a large discount. He will not forget you!

bex891

Rough_Rock
The vendor must stand the cost for this mistake.

The ring has been given as a gift....and you don't have any more money to spend on this.

If my DF asked me to return my ring, to have it set with another diamond, he'd have to cut my finger off to get it.
29.gif

Don't pay out any more money.....I feel you are being pushed into a corner here, through no fault of your own.

You have NOT been dishonest at any point. Keep the ring on her finger, and don't pay out any more money!

End of story!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 4:41:00 AM
Author: Random Iccle Gingee
The vendor must stand the cost for this mistake.

The ring has been given as a gift....and you don''t have any more money to spend on this.

If my DF asked me to return my ring, to have it set with another diamond, he''d have to cut my finger off to get it.
29.gif

Don''t pay out any more money.....I feel you are being pushed into a corner here, through no fault of your own.

You have NOT been dishonest at any point. Keep the ring on her finger, and don''t pay out any more money!

End of story!

I asked hubby what he would do and that''s it. He said simple, they screwed up, it''s their fault, and he is not getting that ring back. Not quite the same thing, but I had an oil dealer deliver a tank full of oil to my neighbors house. They tried to get him to pay for it. He said no way! It was there mistake. Now, I don''t know legally if the jeweler has a leg to stand on in terms of putting a lien on your house or anything like that. Morally of course, the answer is to pay the 1300.00 or whatever ends up being agreed upon. I''d also have the ring appraised to make sure it is what they are claiming it now is.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
That really sucks. They have backed you into a corner where you either have to change the ring to a lesser quality stone after enjoying this stone or you owe them more money than you have to spend on this. Moral issues aside, this really was a crappy situation.

I know, in this situation, I''d really value my partner''s opinion on how handle it. Since it''s her ring she should get a say in keeping the current stone or exchanging it for, what might be, an unnoticable difference.

If you do decide to change out the stone please bargin for a better deal for your inconvince. $200 is nothing for all this that they''ve put you through.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been following this thread since it started, so here''s my two cents:

You have two options, as I see it:

1. Talk to your fiancee about this whole situation and see what she wants to do- after all, it is HER ring now.

2. Suck it up and pay the extra money to keep that rock on her finger and essentially keep her in the dark. (not your best option, in my opinion)

If there was so much drama surrounding my ring, I would want to know.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here is what you should do:
Take the ring to an appriaser, get it appraised and have them bill the jeweler.
Take the ring to the jeweler and tell them what they appraised the ring for.
Tell them you will pay XYZ for it and it will stay intact. They give you free protection plans for life instead of paying for them every couple of years.
Make sure the financing is done with no interest for as long as it takes to pay off the ring because of your budget.
Tell your fiance only after you have made your final decison. To save her the agony.

Then the case is solved. Everyone gets something. The jeweler lost the stone at COST and the person wearing it is spared the thought of someone destroying her stone and ring...oh and for not killer her buzz...

This seems like the most logical way to handle it. Gutman gets what he wants and the jeweler is getting something for nothing.

He is not being unethical, immoral or losign integrity. The jeweler is getting to keep his reputation, getting the stone at cost at maintaining someone as a customer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gutman I would like to apologize.

I used the term "partial stealing".

That is too strong of a term, and I apologize for using it.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 11:07:05 AM
Author: kenny
Gutman I would like to apologize.

I used the term ''partial stealing''.

That is too strong of a term, and I apologize for using it.
Thanks Kenny for clearing that up with the forum.
4.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 9:16:16 AM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
Ok here is what you should do:

Take the ring to an appriaser, get it appraised and have them bill the jeweler.

Take the ring to the jeweler and tell them what they appraised the ring for.

Tell them you will pay XYZ for it and it will stay intact. They give you free protection plans for life instead of paying for them every couple of years.

Make sure the financing is done with no interest for as long as it takes to pay off the ring because of your budget.

Tell your fiance only after you have made your final decison. To save her the agony.

Then the case is solved. Everyone gets something. The jeweler lost the stone at COST and the person wearing it is spared the thought of someone destroying her stone and ring...oh and for not killer her buzz...

This seems like the most logical way to handle it. Gutman gets what he wants and the jeweler is getting something for nothing.

He is not being unethical, immoral or losign integrity. The jeweler is getting to keep his reputation, getting the stone at cost at maintaining someone as a customer.
I agree 100%!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I think Gutman has been behaving in an entirely appropriate, reasonable and ethical way the entire time, and the jeweler is 100% at fault, but that doesn''t mean he can get away with not paying the jeweler ANYTHING. Try to work out a slightly better deal than the $1300, go with the financing, don''t tell your fiancee until after the whole thing is settled.

And, since I can''t trust this jeweler completely, PLEASE get that diamond appraised before you pay more for it!!! As someone else said, they know the F VS2 went missing, but do we have any reason to believe that it is necessarily in your fiancee''s ring?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
First off, Deco is more than capable of defending herself (and I have popcorn ready for when she does
9.gif
) but as for myself, I ''stuck up for'' the fiancee, a girl I certainly didn''t know much about aside from the fact that her fiance was very loathe to take the ring back.

I spoke up on her behalf because it seemed like everyone was forgetting her in their rush to debate the morals of keeping a better stone.

In the end, this is not about clarity or price, it''s about someone''s engagement.

Also, since when is 1300 half of 2500? Meeting you ''half-way'' my left toe.
38.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Take the money and buy stone from a PS vendor? Are you guys even reading what Gutman is writing here? His whole point is that he gave his fiancee a ring. His ideal goal is to have her keep the ring thats on her finger AS IS and not even worry her over this. In saying that Gutman I think the best idea would be to try and come up with the $1,300.00. Like others have said on here it doesn''t look as if they were overestimating the difference in value. If I were you I would borrow the money if I had to, to pay the difference and end up with a diamond thats worth more for 1/2 price. How often will that chance come up? It solves all you issues. Your fiancee gets to keep her ring and stone intact and as is. You KNOW you''ve defiantly gotten your money''s worth, and the store gets something back as well.

As far as getting on Gutmans case about ethics. It''s not like HE switched the stones himself and when the store noticed is trying to keep it under the radar. Who made the mistake here? THE STORE. Someone, and employee there, MESSED UP. In my opinon, I do think that a brand spankin new ering is something sentimental. Hell I had mine for a while, and I didn''t even like parting with it for a week to get it fixed. Imagine this woman who just got the ring, she likely will not be happy about handing it back over to get switched. This couple may be sentimental about what that ring and stone is to them. I don''t think thats all that unusual and for the store to offer a $200.00 gift cert for that is ridiculous. After he made a large purchase from them. I do think the offer they made the 2nd time around is fair, and if they have to eat $1,300.00 then thats their fault. They obviously wouldn''t offer it if they couldn''t take the hit for it or think it was fair. Kenny I feel like your making the store seem like they are such victims here but THEY made the mistake and it''s not like Gutman is holding it hostage. If they made the offer then they are obviously ok with it.

hey joey

Rough_Rock
A mistake happened. The jeweler is giving excellent compensation!!!!.

The price is excellent. They are loosing money !!!!!!

You have 2 grades better in clarity and 2 color better difference of $1300

Ask any appraiser or vender what will the cost difference be.

No vender will ever give you this price again.

good luck

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Kenny''s general point of view.
Gutman agreed to purchase a certain stone.
The store made a mistake a gave him a much more expensive stone.
What if it were a family member or close friend at the other end that made the mistake?
Would you still feel hey you made the mistake , tough cookies? Now make it worth my while? $200.00 is chump change my brother.
Does it matter to one''s decision who the other party is (big bad jewelery store or family member?). Would you act the same if a family member or close friend was at the other end of the agreement?

gutman925

Rough_Rock
A (final?) update

I spoke with the store manager this morning. And the jewelery store has agreed to let my fiance keep her ring with the more-valuable stone at no additional cost. They made this offer, and I am (obviously) very satisfied with it.

I know there has been much debate over moral and ethical ideals. To me, this was a business negotiation. While feelings and emotions were defintily involved on my side, I did my best to leave them out when dealing with the store. There was negotiation, offers and counter offers, just like any other negotiation. In the end, they owned up to thier mistake and honored their relationship with the customer.

While i will not discolose the name of the jeweler on this board, I will reccomend them to friends and colleagues, and will likely be a repete customer.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A happy ending!!! Yay for you gutman, that''s awesome!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yay Gutman - I am glad it all worked out. The jeweler was wise to cooperate with you and give you customer service.

I bet they are pretty darn mad at their salesperson though!

What a postive outcome to begin your engagement. Now that the dust has settled are you going to tell your fiance about all the excitement surrounding her ring?

dpsp2525

Rough_Rock
I wonder why they just did not offer that to you in the first place?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
YAYYYY!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Congratulations!!! So glad to hear they finally came around!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Intent is at the core to me. He never intended this to happen. Nor did the store, but they made a more wise choice in resolving it as they did. They were, nicely, more aware of the long term potential in the relationship, versus squeezing out the last dollar. It worked nicely. I would now, with some humor, tell my fiancee, since all''s well that ends well and she is getting a nicer ring at no more money and the ring stays in one piece. So, at the end of the day, the store stepped up to the plate, and Gutman will now use them in the future. For 1300.00 that they might have gotten out of him, they might have lost future business...I am glad it all worked out.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!Finally a great outcome!! CHEERS!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!! I LOVE happy endings!!
36.gif

BTW....Gutman: Congratulations on your engagement!

widget

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is good news, glad to hear that it has been settled and is a worry off your mind.
35.gif

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear that all was resolved. Time to enjoy the engagement.

BTW, with all of this behind you now, do you plan on sharing your ordeal with the FI? Sure sounds like an interesting story to share for a lifetime.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 12:49:09 PM
Author: hey joey
A mistake happened. The jeweler is giving excellent compensation!!!!.

The price is excellent. They are loosing money !!!!!!

You have 2 grades better in clarity and 2 color better difference of $1300

Ask any appraiser or vender what will the cost difference be.

No vender will ever give you this price again.

good luck

The price and good value don''t matter if you don''t have the money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results