shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler set the wrong stone—wants me to return ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gutman925

Rough_Rock
Two weeks ago, I purchased a diamond engagment ring for my now fiance from a reputable San Fransisco Jewler. Today Irecieved a phone call from the jewler, that the wrong diamond was used in the ring. She requested that I either return to the store with the ring, or have it sent to the store, so that the diamond I purchased could be placed into the ring.

From my conversation, the GIA cert that i have does not match the diamond in the ring. The salseperson who called me was obviously choosing her words very carefully, and being intentionally vague. she said that the diamonds were basically the same weight, and "similar" clarity. However, it is my assumption that the diamond that my fiance is wearing is more valuable than the one I "purchased."

I have no interest in returning the ring or the rock. It's on her finger, and that's where I'd like to keep it. I'm not going to tell her "Sorry hunny, the jeweler made a mistake, I need to get you a new diamond, can I borrow the ring for a couple days." Value aside, it's their mistake, It's insulting, and, as yet, they have made no attempt to make it worth my while.

I'd prefer to just swap GIA certs. I'd prefer not to even tell my fiance. And as I see i, the jewler has litle recourse. But I do want to be able to insure the ring.

Any thoughts?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I'd get the ring appraised asap so you can find out how the stone differs from the one you *thought* you were getting ... and whether fighting to keep the ring is worth it or not.

What's that they say: Possession is 9/10th of the law??

I return $ if I'm given too much change ... I'm usually honest to a fault ... but with bling involved
31.gif
AND the fact that it was a GIFT. Technically it's not even YOURS to GIVE BACK to them now. I kinda think they have to eat the loss. It was their mistake. You just took what they gave you. And then gave it away. Your fiance is an ENTIRELY innocent party & shouldn't have to go through the trauma of losing her brand new engagement ring for one second.

I'd only deal with the stone owner or manager. This may be an employee trying to cover their own tracks. I somehow doubt any OWNER would want to risk the bad PR involved in THIS story *say* leaking to the PRESS.

Please keep us posed on how this turns out!

ETA: you can have the ring insured without showing a GIA cert. Plenty of non-certed stones are insured every day. The amount "more" having a cert is worth is probably nominal compared to the possible extra value in a different stone. An appraiser can log the "stats" of the stone - so it could be properly replaced or reimbursed in the case of loss.

gutman925

Rough_Rock
Yup, she said yes. And as a lawyer friend of mine joked... because I proposed on her birthday, the ring becomes a birthday gift. I no longer have any rights to it. (since I''m getting married, i should probably get used to that notion :)

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, no specific thoughts except that this is interesting!!

I think it is quite likely that the diamond you''ve got is more costly than the one you''ve paid for. I wonder how much more? hmm...interesting situation.

I can certainly understand your hesitancy to take the ring from your new fiance and have it fiddled with...

I''ll be following this thread with interest...to hear others'' thoughts, and see how this all develops...

widget

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
This thread made me laugh : ) Well, that sounds awful, but it did!

This weekend my friends and I got Thai food takeout from WAY across town and headed home with some DVDs. We get home, unpack the food, and it''s totally all wrong. Nothing we ordered. Turns out it''s much more food than we ordered, and some more expensive stuff too. Well, we could have walked 10 minutes back to the T, then sat on the T for 30 minutes, walked for 10 minutes back to the restaurant...

Nah, we just ate (and enjoyed) our food.... I figure they screwed up, we benefit. Perhaps this is terrible of me, but it''s me : )

Now this was $30 worth of food, not $30,000 worth of diamond, so we''re talking BIG league screw up, but still, it''s their fault, not yours! I''m also curious how it''ll all pan out, so please keep us updated! Best of luck, and congratulations!

Aussie

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I''m honest to a fault also. I personally couldn''t keep it in good concience. I hear the arguments, but it boils down to, it''s not what you bought. I wouldn''t be happy, and I''d definitely want compensation, but I''d take it back. That''s just me.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Not sure what to say. But if you do decide to "do nothing" make sure they do not start any annoying legal action or threats towrds you.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Its their fault so you should not suffer, and not to mention your fiance. (BTW- where are the pics??!!??)
1.gif
I would tell the jeweler that it is there problem now. The ring has been given as a gift and explain to them that you have given the gift and that you are not going to be an indian giver unless they make it VERY worth you while, see what kind of offer that they give you. Have it appraised and then decide your course of action.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Gutman,

It just occured to me that if you basically ''ignore'' their request to return the stone, any warranty or return policies, etc. with this current jeweler are probably no longer going to hold -- I doubt they''ll be happy to resize the ring, clean it, repair it, etc. if you go this route. And if it''s a pave ring, this may be a serious problem (lots of pave durability issues on here lately)...

Just something to consider,

Aussie

gutman925

Rough_Rock
Aussie:

Hadnt thought of that. I purchased the ring at the jewler's wholesale location. They are about to open a retail outlet in a major SF shopping center, so as far as cleaning goes, I'd be surprised if one store does that much talking to the other. But if I needed a resize or to have the setting fixed, you'e right, I may run into trouble.

I don't plan to do nothing, but I'd rather not have the ring reset. I have to think that the more-often you havea ring reset, it weakens the integrity of the ring.

My plan is to speak with a manager or owner. From where i stand, this has nothing to do with honesty or integrity. they made a mistake, why should I (or in this case, my fiance) be made to suffer. As you can see, I havent mentioned the name of the jeweler. I think they deserve an opportunity to make good on thier mistake. However, that is subject to change.

The irony is, I think I know where the problem arose from. When I went to purchase the ring, the saleswoman laid out a number of stones. I picked the one i wanted based on the 4c's along with the price. She put the stone I chose in a bag with the ring I chose, so it could be set, and returned the other stones to thier little holders. I asked the saleswoman how can you tell the difference? She replied, "it's my job, i better know." Perhaps not.

(and yes.. there is a degree of humor to all of this. But at the end of the day, the ring is hers... forever, not till the jeweler calls and wants to fix it)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock

It''s also possible that the diamond in the ring is less valuable than the one you paid for. They may not want you to find out at an appraiser''s office and would rather you know from them. Has the jeweler given you any reason to think they would be less than honest with you?

If it were me, I would call them back and discuss it on the QT before bringing it to my fiance''s attention. I''d sure want to know what happened. Even if it is their fault, I would try to work it out with them. I''d sure hope someone would do that for me if it were my mistake. Plus, do you want that kind of karma associated with your bridal jewelry (or your fiance''s)?

Just my two cents.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
HAH! I suppose it could be a CZ and they don''t want THAT little nasty detail coming out either!!

I guess this really could be going your way, or theirs!
32.gif

Aussie

btw: somehow I was thinking this was a 1-location shop, where you''d be heading in and seeing these same people for anything regarding the ring, even cleaning.... not sure why! never mind about the cleaning then : )

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wondered about a CZ, or a less quality stone too...

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
If it were me, I''d try to find out all the details and then get it switched. But I would want to be reimbused for the inconvince...maybe a discount on the wedding bands.

Or maybe get it appraised and then work out something with the jeweller for not having to switch out the stone but compromise on price difference.

It sucks to lose the ring for a bit, but I''d go with honesty.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, maybe this is just me, but I wouldn''t really want to deal with this jeweler again (for the wedding bands).

I''d always just wonder what mistake would be next - and if they''d admit to another one
15.gif

Aussie

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 6:31:17 PM
Author:gutman925
Two weeks ago, I purchased a diamond engagment ring for my now fiance from a reputable San Fransisco Jewler. Today Irecieved a phone call from the jewler, that the wrong diamond was used in the ring. She requested that I either return to the store with the ring, or have it sent to the store, so that the diamond I purchased could be placed into the ring.

From my conversation, the GIA cert that i have does not match the diamond in the ring. The salseperson who called me was obviously choosing her words very carefully, and being intentionally vague. she said that the diamonds were basically the same weight, and ''similar'' clarity. However, it is my assumption that the diamond that my fiance is wearing is more valuable than the one I ''purchased.''

I have no interest in returning the ring or the rock. It''s on her finger, and that''s where I''d like to keep it. I''m not going to tell her ''Sorry hunny, the jeweler made a mistake, I need to get you a new diamond, can I borrow the ring for a couple days.'' Value aside, it''s their mistake, It''s insulting, and, as yet, they have made no attempt to make it worth my while.

I''d prefer to just swap GIA certs. I''d prefer not to even tell my fiance. And as I see i, the jewler has litle recourse. But I do want to be able to insure the ring.

Any thoughts?
My thought is that when the woman *first* called the best thing you could have done/said is "I''m sorry, I no longer have that ring. It was given away." Now that you''ve taken the time to mull it over I fear you are just going to look greedy
7.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Maybe another couple had their "new" stone appraised and found it not to match the cert and are also, now, unhappy. Maybe irate. I am interested in what transpires....

cheers--Sharon

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 7:45:23 PM
Author: Larissa

Or maybe get it appraised and then work out something with the jeweller for not having to switch out the stone but compromise on price difference.

That sounds like the most sensible plan. Of course, this won''t work if it turns out to be a really significant amount of money to you, or if the quality of the stone is significantly less. However, you would not be left having to take their word for it, if you are no longer trusting of them.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 7:29:33 PM
Author: gutman925
Aussie:

Hadnt thought of that. I purchased the ring at the jewler''s wholesale location. They are about to open a retail outlet in a major SF shopping center, so as far as cleaning goes, I''d be surprised if one store does that much talking to the other. But if I needed a resize or to have the setting fixed, you''e right, I may run into trouble.

I don''t plan to do nothing, but I''d rather not have the ring reset. I have to think that the more-often you havea ring reset, it weakens the integrity of the ring.

My plan is to speak with a manager or owner. From where i stand, this has nothing to do with honesty or integrity. they made a mistake, why should I (or in this case, my fiance) be made to suffer. As you can see, I havent mentioned the name of the jeweler. I think they deserve an opportunity to make good on thier mistake. However, that is subject to change.

The irony is, I think I know where the problem arose from. When I went to purchase the ring, the saleswoman laid out a number of stones. I picked the one i wanted based on the 4c''s along with the price. She put the stone I chose in a bag with the ring I chose, so it could be set, and returned the other stones to thier little holders. I asked the saleswoman how can you tell the difference? She replied, ''it''s my job, i better know.'' Perhaps not.

(and yes.. there is a degree of humor to all of this. But at the end of the day, the ring is hers... forever, not till the jeweler calls and wants to fix it)
would you be willing to pay the difference in price or part of the difference? Consider it a compromise that your fiance gets the better stone and you get the GIA cert?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
this is a classic ethical dilema

"An act is not proper simply because it is permissible, nor is it ethical just because it is legal."

It is your choice and your choice only.

In my experiance good things happen to people who make good ethical choices.
It is human nature to think we will loose out in such situations, but let me tell you if I was the jeweller, I would only be contacting you ig the stone you had was worth less / lower graded, bcause my stores reputation would be at risk.
If you had a better stone we would not dare suffer the embarrassment.

But it is how you will feel in 1 year, 10 years etc.

It may be water of a ducks back to you, or every time you are introduced to a jeweller at your school / social / country club - you may dread the idea that this might be someone who knows something about ''you'' that you would prefer no-one knew.

gutman925

Rough_Rock
just to clarify, I''m not trying to "screw" anyone, I''m not trying to be greedy. If it comes to it, I''ll pay the difference of the two stones (provided it''s within reason) But from the prospective of a customer, to be told to just grab the ring from her finger, and we''ll have it back to to her in a few days, is NOT customer service—especially in a business that relies on reputation and reccomendation.

If this were my company, I would be bending over backwards to clean up my mistake as seamlessly, and a smoothly as possible.

Again, it was only one phone call. They were not threatening, but they were very hesitant to answer any of my questions specifically. That makes me suspicious that something is definatly rotten in the state of Denmark.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 6:31:17 PM
Author:gutman925

From my conversation, the GIA cert that i have does not match the diamond in the ring. The salseperson who called me was obviously choosing her words very carefully, and being intentionally vague. she said that the diamonds were basically the same weight, and ''similar'' clarity.
Gutman, if you don''t mind sharing, may I ask what carat weight, color, and clarity you thought you purchased? I am curious. I also would suspect that you may have been given a lesser quality stone, and they may be fearful that you will discover it at an appraiser and sully their reputation (esp if they are already a reputable jeweler).

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What a remarkable story! This one brings so many ethical issues into the foreground. Sounds like (most likely) they switched your stone with one of their other diamonds in stock. This is better than if they put someone else''s diamond in your setting. I would feel really bad if it belonged to someone else and they were so upset to have their stone missing.

If I were your FI, I would be hearbroken to have to give the stone back! I would have already developed the emotional attachment!

But you need to be sure that you got one that is at least as good as what you paid for. Appraisal is a good idea, though if it is very close to what you had they may want to unset the stone to appraise it.

I would guess if they gave you a better one than what you paid for that they would have insurance to cover their error, so they would not be out any money.

This scares me - I live in SF Bay too - I would be so upset if I dropped off my stone for a reset and they gave me the wrong one. Oh no!

Good luck with the outcome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''d schedule an appt with an independent appraiser right away, and find out what exactly it is you have. mostly to be sure it''s not a CZ or something.

if you love THIS stone and your fiance loves THIS stone then i don''t see why you should have to return it. it could be lesser value, more value, whatever, but if you really want this stone in the ring, then just be sure it''s a real diamond (aka appraisal) and then tell the store you want to keep it.

it''s quite possible it is less OR more expensive than what you bought, and that a clerk made the mistake, and does not want it to get out. i would definitely echo what deco said and talk directly to an owner or store manager and if possible in person as well. if you go about it the right way depending on how you approach and discuss it, you might not have to have any bad blood between you and the store for the future. but i''d get it worked out one way or another.

good luck!!!

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Gary hit the nail on the head. This is a moral dilemma. Perhaps you have a right to the stone, perhaps you don''t. However, I can''t think of giving a worse gift than this one if any baggage comes with it. I can''t think of many worse things for a woman to do than to have to litigate over her engagement ring.

How does your fiancee feel about it? Or have you not told her about it. What would you do if it were a stone of lesser value? I''m sure you would want the mistake rectified and wouldn''t mind having to return it then would you?

Mistakes happen in life. The store showed good faith in bringing the problem to your attention. While it doesn''t seem that the owner has made a tremendous effort to ease your predicament, perhaps cooperation on your part will pay off later, perhaps with a nice complimentary dinner or he may treat you well for the rest of your life.

I''ve seen similar situations go both ways in my over 33 years in the business.

Oh...just so you know and I''m sure your attorney friend alerted you to this, should your engagement not work out, she gets the ring, not you. That''s the caveat for giving it to her on her birthday. Normal proposals create one of life''s few "contingent" gifts...that she keeps the ring contingent upon you two getting married. Giving it on a special day in lieu of a gift cancels that in most cases.

Laws vary. Consult an expert. Past experience is no guarantee of future performance.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that all parties come out of this satisfied, but most importantly your fiancee.

Bill Bray
diamond cutter

p.s. Someone else asked but I didn''t see an answer. What are the specifics of the stone?

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think anyone said that you were trying to screw anyone else. We were all just throwing out suggestions as far as what could have happened and what we''d do...which is what your original posts asked for.

Continuing on thoughts...maybe they haven''t bent over backwards because they are trying attempting to remain calm, not scare the crap out of you, and get your thoughts before hand. I''d deal a heck of a lot less well if someone called me and said, "Ohmygod, we screwed up badly on your ring and you didn''t get what you paid for. We''ll do anything to fix it!"

They may also be attempting to only give information as questions are asked in order to hold onto their rep. If they out and out say exactly what happened it chances making them look even worse. It''s tough to start the negotiation process. How do you want them to bend over backwards? Free service? Since it''s a B&M, you probably already have that. A partial refund? They may not want to insult by offering too low or give too much by offering too high. Quick exchange? They can only do them so quickly and if you''re unwilling to exchange, it''s pointless for them to offer. Discount on future purchases? They may (rightly or wrongly) assume that you don''t want to work with them any further after this due to this mistake so that may not help.

I''m guessing they want your reaction first in order to know how to proceed. You may need to start by telling them what you want in order to get what you want.

gutman925

Rough_Rock
fair enough, and that''s good advice. I guess my concern is that I feel they are being sneaky. I work in marketing and advertising.. so i know all about sneaky. At times, I''m forced to be they purveyor of it.

I think I''m just concerned because I don''t knowwhere I stand, and I''ve just made the largest purchase I''ve ever made before... now I''m being told there is a problem. i''m not freaking out, but I''m concerned.

and i appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to an independant appraiser to see exactly what you have. Then go from there. What if this stone isn''t more valuable but of lesser quality? I''d want to know all of that before I could come to a resolution. I doubt they are being sneaky, jewelers for the most part couldn''t stay in business if they were. They have their reputation to uphold and have probably built a great one over the years that''s why you went there to buy...I will be curious to see what you find out. Good luck and congrats on your engagement!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mistakes happen. I''m one of those honest types too who would just feel guilty keeping it. I''d want to find out more about what happened, what stone you got compared to what you were supposed to get. If it''s a lesser quality stone wouldn''t you want the store to switch it for the right stone? If they accidently upgraded the stone then see what you can work out with them that will make you happy explaining that the ring was a gift already given etc..Don''t worry about them having to take out the stone and put a different one in, the prongs should be fine. Folks have upgraded larger stones in their current settings and been ok.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Garry and Bill here

I''d handle it a bit differently than has been suggested.

I think everyone in this situation needs to be together to resolve it, plus an appraiser.

A meeting should be set up with you and your fiance, an appraiser ( probably Nancy Stacy would be a good candidate as an appraiser, as she is in the SF area) the jeweler, and the other customer.

The expense of having the appraiser should be paid for by the jeweler.

While I certainly appreciate the incovenience, hurt feelings, and bitterness, it still comes down to one consideration. The diamond in your ring, regardless of whether it is more or less valuable, isn''t yours.

Perhaps in my suggested "pow wow"of all the parties, everyone would come to a resolution agreeable to all. If the ring needs to be made over, well that IS the jeweler''s obligation to do that.

Perhaps everyone will feel that they would prefer to leave each person keep the stone they received, but if the other person wants the stone they purchased, the jeweler should be responsible for the expenses costs to put things back where they "belong".

You may learn that you DID get the stone that you bought,and that the jeweler set the other person''s stone in a different ring. I think it would be good to be able to know that you could go forward with a clear and clean conscience.

I''d hate to have the Karma attached to it in my mind if I didn''t do this.

Even if you kept the stone, and did it by open agreement with everyone, it would be better.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results