shape
carat
color
clarity

JEWELER CHIPPED MY DIAMOND

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cheech

Rough_Rock
I BROUGHT MY RING TO BE RESET, THE JEWELER CHIPPED IT. NOW THEY ARE OFFERING ME DIFFERENT STONES TO PICK FROM. MY ORIGINAL STONE WAS..
IGI
.87 PRINCESS
VS1
I
THE STONE I CHOSE FROM THEM IS..
GIA
VS1
G
BUT, UNDER THE CLAIRITY PART IT SAID CHIP.I CALLED GIA AND THEY SAID THERE WAS A CHIP IN ONE OR MORE CORNERS THAT IS WHY IT WAS VS1. I SEEN THE STONE 3 DIFFERENT TIMES AND DID NOT NOTICE IT WITH MY EYES. I AM NERVOUS ABOUT MY DECISION BECAUS I DON''T WANT TO REPLACE A CHIPPED DIAMOND WITH A CHIPPED DIAMOND. I NEED ADVICE. I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH THAT MY DIAMOND IS RUINED. HELP!!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2006 2:16:32 PM
Author:cheech
I BROUGHT MY RING TO BE RESET, THE JEWELER CHIPPED IT. NOW THEY ARE OFFERING ME DIFFERENT STONES TO PICK FROM. MY ORIGINAL STONE WAS..
IGI
.87 PRINCESS
VS1
I
THE STONE I CHOSE FROM THEM IS..
GIA
VS1
G
BUT, UNDER THE CLAIRITY PART IT SAID CHIP.I CALLED GIA AND THEY SAID THERE WAS A CHIP IN ONE OR MORE CORNERS THAT IS WHY IT WAS VS1. I SEEN THE STONE 3 DIFFERENT TIMES AND DID NOT NOTICE IT WITH MY EYES. I AM NERVOUS ABOUT MY DECISION BECAUS I DON''T WANT TO REPLACE A CHIPPED DIAMOND WITH A CHIPPED DIAMOND. I NEED ADVICE. I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH THAT MY DIAMOND IS RUINED. HELP!!!!
For the stone to be graded a VS1 the chip is microscopic. You are getting a stone that is much better than the IGI I VS1 which may well have been a J or K VS2-SI1 based on many of the diamonds I have seen graded by them. You are fortunate to be dealing with such an ethical jeweler. Most would have gone out and gotten you another IGI graded stone for a LOT less money than they are spending on this GIA graded stone. Even if the IGI cert is correct the IGI certs trade at a fairly significant discount to the GIA diamond grading reports. While you may feel a little ill right now you are in fact getting a pretty nice upgrade to alleviate your loss.

Wink

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Cheech: Did you get any other information on your new stone?

cheech

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I STILL AM MEETING WITH THEM TO SEE A FEW MORE BEFORE I MAKE MY DECISION. I KNOW GIA IS MUCH BETTER BUT THAT WORD CHIP SCARES ME. IF IT, OR THEY ARE IN THE CORNERS WILL IT BE DANGEROUS LONG TERM?

cheech

Rough_Rock
ALLY,

THAT IS ABOUT IT EXCEPT..
CULET NONE
FLORESCENCE NONE
POLISH EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY VERY GOOD

ANY INPUT ON MY SITUATION?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Take the new stone and consider yourself lucky. A VS1 stone will not have any visible inclusions. You didn''t exactly buy an awesome diamond in the first place, and now you''re getting something much nicer.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cheech,
please turn off the caps lock. typing in all caps is considered yelling.
it''s so loud in here i can''t even think
37.gif

cheech

Rough_Rock
Sorry Belle

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW (sorry Belle!).........what an incredible deal. Sounds like your jeweler is beyond reputable and the fact that they are offering a higher quality stone as a replacement is simply remarkable. If Wink says you''ll never see the microcopic chip, you can trust that you''ll never see the chip.

What a deal!!!!!!!

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I''d take the stone. Wink knows what he''s talking about, definitely one of the experts around here.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
no problem cheech
2.gif

if the chip(s) are noted on the gia report and it is graded vs1, you have absolutely nothing to worry about inclusion wise, you will never see it. with the chip being in the corner, it could easily be covered by a prong and protected.
that said, do what you feel most comfortable with. if that means getting another stone, so be it.
best of luck to you!

(rod..
11.gif
9.gif
)

cheech

Rough_Rock
I am just so confused about everything. I feel so sad about my original stone. I know I am getting a better Lab report and a better quality but it still stinks. does anyone know approx. value of this stone?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
You can go to the top of the page and enter the spec in the "Pricescope my diamond" feature. It looks like it would be worth about $3,500-$3,800 from an online dealer. It would probably be more if you got it from a B&M.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say take it and be happy. You are getting a better diamond and the jeweler sounds like a stand up kind of guy. I wouldn''t worry so much about the chip. Listen to Richard and Wink!!!
2.gif

cheech

Rough_Rock
Rich,
Is it because of the color G or the GIA report?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s everything - he is offering you a MUCH higher value stone, and probably one that''s also much better looking. I understand if you have a sentimental attachment to the old diamond, but trust me, when you see the new one on the hand you''ll be happy about the whole thing. Just take it!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Wink and Rich are experts, they are both in the field.
Listen to what they are saying- you are coming out ahead here.
It is sad that your original stone was chipped, but you are getting a better stone to replace it.
You are fortunate that your jeweler is such a stand up guy.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 6:52:44 PM
Author: cheech
Rich,

Is it because of the color G or the GIA report?
Both. A "G" color is considerably more expensive, and a GIA report carries much more credibility than IGI.

It''s hard for me to believe the jeweler is even doing it. He''s taking a pretty serious loss to keep you happy.

cheech

Rough_Rock
Wow I never trust anyone so I was a bit apprehensive (sp) about it. I should be talking to them today and see what else they have for me to look at then I''ll make the decision. I just want this nightmare to be over then I can relax. I have been obsessing on learning about diamonds.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I''ll let you know how this ends!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2006 8:09:49 AM
Author: cheech
Wow I never trust anyone so I was a bit apprehensive (sp) about it. I should be talking to them today and see what else they have for me to look at then I''ll make the decision. I just want this nightmare to be over then I can relax. I have been obsessing on learning about diamonds.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I''ll let you know how this ends!!
It is probably too late, but you need to thank them for being stand up and while you have the right to see what else they have to offer, you are already getting much more than you are entitled to. (This is not meant to be rude, merely a statement of fact that you are entitled to be made whole with an IGI I VS1.) You may come across poorly by demanding more, but that may be my feeling as a retailer who would be moderately offended if I went this far for a client and then was asked for more. (This is assuming of course that the cutting of the GIA graded stone is such that it is at least as beautiful as your IGI graded diamond.) Princess cuts are more vulnerable by the very fact that they have those darn sharp corners and while we jewelers always attempt to be extra careful with them, occassionally bad things happen.

Wink

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with Wink on this for sure...........Hmmmmm, I wonder if I my Mercedes dealer damaged my car, would they give me a new SL 500 in it''s place for free??? Yeah that''s right, they''ll just upgrade me for being such a swell guy. Yeah, like that''s ever going to happen. LOL

Cheech..........Don''t look a gift horse in the mouth. Take that stone and run gleefully into the sun and enjoy the sparkles that obviously better stone will provide you.

cheech

Rough_Rock
Honestly I haven''t asked for anything expect a stone equal to mine. I am just being nervous about picking one so I am trying to take my time. I have learned alot about diamonds. I never knew that there was sooooo much to it!!! WOW.

Maybe I''ll change fields. LOL

Thanks Guys

cheech

Rough_Rock
Okay I ended up with a beautiful stone
Gia
G
VS1

It shows a little blueish white in the sun, but not cloudy at all. The GIA report says Flour. none, is this color a good thing?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You've got a little ball of mirrors there. In the sun it's going to pick up the blue of the sky in it's personality.

Nothing to worry about, perfectly normal.

Congratulations.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Cheech

Thank goodness you were dealing with a responsible merchant.

Glad to hear that he did what he needed to do to have you pleased.

Rockdoc

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Show us the bling! Show us the bling!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

cheech

Rough_Rock
I love how it shows colors, especially the blueish sometimes.
I am going to try attaching pics.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait for the pics!!!

And it sounds like you have a great diamond there!
1.gif

cheech

Rough_Rock
Can someone help me?

I am trying to send pics and it says my files are too big.

How do I attach the pics with my camera?

Thanks ...I am not too bright when it comes to PCs, so Keep it simple!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results