shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewel Jet Owners: How do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am the proud owner of a new Jewel Jet.

Plugged it in, waited for it to heat up for 30 seconds... and BLAAAAST!

OMG.

How do you hold on to your ring when there''s a steam blast so powerful it just about knocks it out of the tongs?

I''m holding on for DEAR LIFE and the steam keeps knocking it around in the prongs every time I blast it.

It comes out so clean, but I''m terrified of the ring going sailing across the room whenever I use it.

Anyone else have this problem? Do you just stick it in the basket and steam it or hold it close to the steam spout?

It''s AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

But scary!
32.gif

32.gif
36.gif
32.gif
36.gif
32.gif
36.gif

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have a Jewel Jet, but maybe you can use a little metal "tea" leaf holder? It''s a very fine metal mesh holder..........

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Hahahaha. It's kind of funny... and terrifying!

The Jewel Jet has a little mesh net underneath but I swear the blast is so powerful the e-ring would get smacked out of the tongs and easily ricochet out of it after a pump or two. LOL. It's crazy!

Crazy Jewel Jet!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Behold... the steam terror!

jeweljetty.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you need shorter tongs.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Dancing Fire!

But then won't I get burned?
32.gif

The Jewel Jet is sitting quietly, staring at me as I type. LOL. It's probably thinking, "You can try all you want but I'm going to blast that e-ring to China!"

19.gif

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
ah ha! found an example of a teaball on amazon (never knew they were called tea balls)

http://www.amazon.com/Tea-Infuser-1-5-Inch-Mesh-Ball/dp/B0006SYA34/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1213382590&sr=8-4

I figure that way, they can't bounce out!

(Edited with an even BETTER example of a tea ball!)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!

What a great idea!

36.gif
FI is soooo going to crack up watching me do this...

THANK YOU!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2008 2:40:43 PM
Author: Bliss
Thank you, Dancing Fire!

But then won''t I get burned?
32.gif

The Jewel Jet is sitting quietly, staring at me as I type. LOL. It''s probably thinking, ''You can try all you want but I''m going to blast that e-ring to China!''

19.gif
you need some practice
2.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That an a map to the nearest burn unit!

Dancing Fire, THANKS! OK... I''ll practice.... in an FDNY suit.
19.gif

LOL...

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
I would LOVE a Jewel Jet, but it looks so huge! My ultrasonic is so cute and little, like a mini rice cooker :)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I love the US as well! Much cuter, I agree!
31.gif

But if I had to choose, I'd go with the Jewel Jet -- even though it wants to launch my e-ring into suborbital space. It is big and clunky, but not that big. It's the size of a gallon jug of water. But it has the power of the shuttle Discovery. Launch. Ring. Into. Suborbital Space. With. One. Blast.

I bought mine off eBay. It was $90 with shipping.

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
Truth is....pricescopers probably have the cleanest diamonds on the planet....So I don''t know why we obsess over cleaning (me included)
40.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
We are! It's true!

And I'm not even a neat freak! Yet it bugs me when my diamonds are dirty. And somehow they always get dirty! Ah, such is life!
41.gif

Maybe merlinthecat can cast a spell on our stones to keep them from ever getting dirt/grease on them!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Your JJ must have a TURBO mode that mine doesn''t, or else you and I have different opinions on "turbo"!
2.gif

My JJ works well, but I never felt like it was gonna launch my rings into outer space.

In fact, while I really do like my JJ, and think it does a great job, I find it annoying that the actual blast (steam) times are so short, then it has to pause to REHEAT again.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about dirty diamonds. I sat next to a coworker at a meeting this week who has a 3.5+ ct rb solitaire engagement ring and noticed that the diamond was filthy and the head was full of yuck. I was dying to ask her to let me bring it home and give it a few good blasts with my jewel jet. I swear I''d return her ring to her the next day!

It does take a little practice. I am now able clean my rings without any of them blasting off the tongs. I love how sparkly everything is when I''m finished.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my cleaning toys.

clean123.jpg

reader

Brilliant_Rock
They do make rubber handled tongs to keep from burning your hands, or sometimes, if I can''t find mine, I use a silcone oven grippy over the tongs.
Dancing Fire, I am in awe.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Whoa!

Maybe I have a super Jewel Jet... its blasts always scare me to death on the first pump because I forget how powerful it is. Grrrrr... I think it probably gets its amusement that way. LOL.

How do you know how much water to put in? Say it''s halfway full? There''s no water/tank fill mark. Do you have to wait until it''s empty to use that measuring cup?

I swear, the thing scares you with the DO NOT OVERFILL. DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT! LOL.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
LOL! I just hold my rings with the tongs over the basket. My son, 18 mos. old, is terrified of my JewelJet though, so I have to use it on the opposite side of the house when he is asleep - he doesn''t like the noise it makes.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a JJ and love it! I use short blasts and hold the ring about an inch or so above the basket. It often gets blasted right out of the tongs, but worth it for that kind of clean!

Though my center diamond got loose on me recently and I wonder if it''s due to the pressure from the JJ blast? It probably was on the verge of it anyway.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 3:03:48 PM
I love the US as well! Much cuter, I agree!
31.gif

But if I had to choose, I'd go with the Jewel Jet -- even though it wants to launch my e-ring into suborbital space. It is big and clunky, but not that big. It's the size of a gallon jug of water. But it has the power of the shuttle Discovery. Launch. Ring. Into. Suborbital Space. With. One. Blast.

I bought mine off eBay. It was $90 with shipping.

Uh-oh. Do I need this too? We have some Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner thing that is stainless teel... Goes great in the kitchen... ;-) Is it an either or thing with steamers and US? Or do you need both??

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
sna77 -- I would highly recommend it! I have both now and I highly prefer the Jewel Jet. The JJ comes with a mini soaker set. It's basically a little jar with basket you're supposed to fill with ammonia and soak your jewelry in. It comes with that little brush? After you loosen the grime and dirt (usually found on non-Pricescoper rings), you're supposed to blast it under the Jewel Jet.

The US is awesome, too. But I'd rather have the JJ if I had to choose one. I can easily soak my rings in hot water/ammonia/cleaner and then blast it clean under steam. I think most PSers have the US and then a significant subset own both. The Jewel Jet rocks! I heart it.
30.gif
I even steam clean all of FI's watches. He loves it now, too!

ETA: Oh! You have a higher end US. Hmmm... I have the Sharper Image one. So maybe it's an even match!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2008 11:36:07 AM
sna77 -- I would highly recommend it! I have both now and I highly prefer the Jewel Jet. The JJ comes with a mini soaker set. It''s basically a little jar with basket you''re supposed to fill with ammonia and soak your jewelry in. It comes with that little brush? After you loosen the grime and dirt (usually found on non-Pricescoper rings), you''re supposed to blast it under the Jewel Jet.

The US is awesome, too. But I''d rather have the JJ if I had to choose one. I can easily soak my rings in hot water/ammonia/cleaner and then blast it clean under steam. I think most PSers have the US and then a significant subset own both. The Jewel Jet rocks! I heart it.
30.gif
I even steam clean all of FI''s watches. He loves it now, too!

ETA: Oh! You have a higher end US. Hmmm... I have the Sharper Image one. So maybe it''s an even match!

Interesting... i can''t put my Submariner in the US though... And I could put it in the JJ... Is this the one to go with btw? I ended up with the Crest US b/c people had mixed reviews of the Sharper Image one...

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hi sna77!

Yes, I agree. My Sharper Image US is OK... it didn''t deliver the spectacular results I had expected. Yours is a much nicer one, I believe! As for the Jewel Jet, I think it''s the best for the buck. It''s only about $90 from most eBay retailers and is pretty AWESOME. Blasts dirt and grime away... gives an amazing finish.

I have honestly never seen my rings sparkle so much. And that''s from a dedicated cleaner! You can get much nicer steamers. My jeweler tells me consumer versions can cost a couple thousand. But for $90, this one''s pretty great!

It''s a powerful steam blast. Really gets everywhere. Incredible! I''m a very satisfied customer!
36.gif

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Bliss, guess what? My cheapo ultrasonic from ebay broke this Saturday! It came with a one year warranty, but I am thinking about getting a Jewel Jet instead.... Does the Jewel Jet require any chemicals or cleaning agents, or does it require just regular tap water?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hi shortee!

The Jewel Jet only requires water! I use distilled just because NY water has bunch of minerals in it & I didn''t want it building up in my JJ. It''s great. I love it.

I''m blinding everyone at work now. They''re like, "Your rings... are so clean!" I''ve never seen them so clean. The Jewel Jet does come with a little plastic jar in which you can soak your ring and scrub it before steaming it. They advise using ammonia and water. You can soak it in dishwashing soap & hot water or whatever your special mix is.

The JJ came in 2 days. I don''t know how long it''ll last, but I''m definitely going to buy a replacement if the one I own ever breaks! I can''t live without it!
31.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
just bought online from www.jeweljet.com for $99 shipped. I figured I can use it for my watch if nothing else...

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Well I definitely want one, except for the whole "take up too much counter space" issue :) But at the same time, after two weeks of using my cheap ultrasonic cleaner, I ran out of stuff to clean! So in a way, even though it''s broken, I don''t have much stuff to clean anymore so I don''t miss it that much. So I''m wondering if I will do the same thing with the Jewel Jet - clean a bunch of stuff as soon as I get it, then run out of things to clean, and then have the JJ take up valuable counter space........

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

sna77 - yay!!!! You HAVE to post when you get it! I'm so excited for you. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE to your e-ring when you first use it. HANG ON!!!! Don't let go!!! LOL.

shortee - it's awesome. It's about the size of a gallon jug of water. But it's snazzy and red. Kind of cute. Looks like a complicated kitchen tool. Just tell guests it's a professional vegetable steamer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results