shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White 2.16 Yellow Chyrsoberyl...is here!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it doesn''t WOW you and it''s for an important event then return it. You really want a WOW piece for your 5th Anniversary.

Good Luck with your search!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 4:24:58 PM
Author: Arcadian
I can only go off of what I see in front of me when I say what I''m going to say.

I can see the green flashes, I particularly like that about the stone. I like green and yellow, but, I think the fact that the yellow is a bit overcast is enough to not make either of you very happy.

The cut is amazing which can''t be argued at all.

If you''re just not happy with it, its probably not right for you. I certainly suggest looking at colors that both of you can really enjoy if this stone dosen''t work for you.

-A
I do like the hints of green, but in general, it wasn''t as yellow as I was anticipating. It just isn''t the right one right now.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 6:16:17 PM
Author: Chrono
The colour doesn''t appear very saturated; are you looking for a lemony yellow? If so, then this might not be the stone for you. If you don''t like, you can''t make yourself like it. It''s best to return it and keep looking. That said, the stone appears to have great dispersion.
I was looking for a lemony bright yellow. Jeff described it as lemony sunshine yellow, which I guess it is, it just isn''t as intense I was expected (saturated??). I think it''s going back. Does dispersion=sparkle? If so, then yes it does, but mostly in the sunshine, not as much inside.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 6:25:26 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
If it doesn''t WOW you and it''s for an important event then return it. You really want a WOW piece for your 5th Anniversary.

Good Luck with your search!!
Thanks SH! I know, I want something great, we have a year, I think we just need to start over and see what we can find.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really difficult to convey true gem color by saying "lemony yellow, sunshine yellow, grass green, pigeon blood red, sky blue, etc. . . " For me, I use the GIA gemset to determine saturation of color. The free tool can be located at gemewizard.com. If a dealer can convey to me the true gemset color, it is more helpful than assigning a flowery description to it. Also, what one person might think is sunshine yellow might be lemon yellow to someone else. It also helps avoid confusion for future purchases.

Some gem dealers do not understand the GIA gemset tool, so I'll ask them questions like, is there a grey modifier, a brown modifier, does the stone shift color in certain lighting. What is the tone (how light or dark it is). Is the saturation of color strong (the more saturated, the less brown and/or grey mask). All these questions are more informative as well.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 4:58:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s really difficult to convey true gem color by saying ''lemony yellow, sunshine yellow, grass green, pigeon blood red, sky blue, etc. . . '' For me, I use the GIA gemset to determine saturation of color. The free tool can be located at gemewizard.com. If a dealer can convey to me the true gemset color, it is more helpful than assigning a flowery description to it. Also, what one person might think is sunshine yellow might be lemon yellow to someone else. It also helps avoid confusion for future purchases.

Some gem dealers do not understand the GIA gemset tool, so I''ll ask them questions like, is there a grey modifier, a brown modifier, does the stone shift color in certain lighting. What is the tone (how light or dark it is). Is the saturation of color strong (the more saturated, the less brown and/or grey mask). All these questions are more informative as well.
This is good to know. I''ll check it out. Thanks TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To use it, the first number is the tone, and the second number is the saturation of color. For example, a GIA gemset color of 4/6 is a medium toned stone (4) with a vivid saturation of color (6). I typically pay lots of attention to that second number. For me, it''s paramount in importance. Since your monitor may not be properly calibrated to the digital color swatches, it''s important to understand what those numbers mean. Have fun!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I sent the stone back today. Jeff was great to work with and I hope to work with him again in the future when the right stone pops up. Should I have the mods delete this thread since I don''t own the stone? Or does that matter?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 10:58:47 PM
Author: audball
I sent the stone back today. Jeff was great to work with and I hope to work with him again in the future when the right stone pops up. Should I have the mods delete this thread since I don't own the stone? Or does that matter?
Please leave the thread in place. Many a person has sent back a stone. What is interesting is the intial decision, the pictures, the discussion, the learning process, and the final disposition of the stone. Each thread is a wonderful little tale. (Guess where I get much of my entertainment these days?) I really enjoy PS and all the various contributions. Thanks for sharing yours, and best of luck on your hunt. Please come back as your search continues.
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing wrong with leaving this thread up; it serves the purpose of those doing a search on what to expect in a chrysoberyl and also the cutting and customer service provided by Jeff White.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Ok, thanks guys! Will do. I didn''t have a problem with the thread staying, I just wanted to make sure it was okay since I won''t be the owner of the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results