shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White 2.16 Yellow Chyrsoberyl...is here!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone! The Jeff White 2.16 Yellow Chrysoberyl discussed in topic discussed here arrived today!

This was my first gemstone purchase since finding Pricescope and it''s as described by Jeff. We''re not sure if we''re going to keep it or not, S isn''t too keen on the yellow, but even if we don''t keep it, it''s a lovely stone and I''m so excited to have worked with Jeff. He was just the nicest, most patient, helpful person and if this stone doesn''t stay with us, we will be sourcing a different stone from him.

Down to business...the pics!

Slide9.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
another

jwycSlide1.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
again

jwycSlide2.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
another

jwycSlide3.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
again

jwycSlide4.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
With my original emerald ring discussed in the original thread.

jwycSlide5.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Another with the emerald.

jwycSlide6.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
With the backlight of my Mac

jwycSlide7.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
More

jwycSlide8.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Final one for now.

jwycSlide10.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Stones are hard to photograph! It was VERY gloomy out today, I''ll try and get more shots up when the sun is out (hopefully) tomorrow. Enjoy!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I tried to get more photos today, but it was gloomy again. Anybody have anything to say? Good/bad? Should this not be a keeper? Nobody has had anything to see in almost 100 views...makes me worried.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The important question to ask here is if you like it. It''s Jeff White, so it''s going to be amazing cutting, but if the stone doesn''t sing to you, it doesn''t sing to you.

So, do you like it?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 7:11:18 PM
Author: FrekeChild
The important question to ask here is if you like it. It''s Jeff White, so it''s going to be amazing cutting, but if the stone doesn''t sing to you, it doesn''t sing to you.

So, do you like it?
I don''t know, I didn''t light up when I opened the box. Though, I haven''t see it in the sunlight yet. There are times when it catches the light (inside) and it just sparkles, and it''s beautiful. But S doesn''t really like the yellow and he doesn''t like it for the setting I''ve chosen. I think I like it, but I want him to like it too. Hmph, I''m stumped.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2009 7:21:34 PM
Author: audball

So, do you like it?
I don''t know, I didn''t light up when I opened the box. Though, I haven''t see it in the sunlight yet. There are times when it catches the light (inside) and it just sparkles, and it''s beautiful. But S doesn''t really like the yellow and he doesn''t like it for the setting I''ve chosen. I think I like it, but I want him to like it too. Hmph, I''m stumped.
Is it a brownish yellow? That''s the color that appears on the photos.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 7:37:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 12/12/2009 7:21:34 PM

So, do you like it?

Is it a brownish yellow? That''s the color that appears on the photos.
No, no brown. It really seems like a true yellow in most lights, but I do see the tinge of green in some lights (which I like).

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 7:06:25 PM
Anybody have anything to say? Good/bad? Should this not be a keeper? Nobody has had anything to see in almost 100 views...makes me worried.

The size looks good (pretty much what I consider perfect for a ring solitaire) and I really like what I can see of the faceting patterns, but tbh I haven''t said anything else because I feel like the pictures probably aren''t color-accurate, and color is 90% of the game. It looks brown to me in the photos but I think that can''t be right, especially since you say it doesn''t show any brown in real life.

Sorry.
7.gif
I know how frustrating it is to photograph gems. I spent almost 20 minutes this morning trying to photograph that Mahenge spinel before I gave it away, and I just could not capture its color for anything. And pink''s not even supposed to be that hard to get, I''m just terrible at it. So I feel your pain.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't said anything because it does look brownish yellow in the photos, and I wasn't sure if you were wanting opinions on whether to keep it or not. Based strictly on the photos, I would return it because brownish yellow typically isn't a very desirable or expensive color. However, you state there's no brown at all. Regardless, what is it about the yellow color that S doesn't like, is it too washed out, does he see something you don't? The faceting is very nice, but with colored gems, color is really important, and it should be a color you love.

ETA: Do you have the vendor shot of the stone? That should be more true to life colorwise.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 8:25:32 PM
I haven''t said anything because it does look brownish yellow in the photos, and I wasn''t sure if you were wanting opinions on whether to keep it or not. Based strictly on the photos, I would return it because brownish yellow typically isn''t a very desirable or expensive color. However, you state there''s no brown at all. Regardless, what is it about the yellow color that S doesn''t like, is it too washed out, does he see something you don''t? The faceting is very nice, but with colored gems, color is really important, and it should be a color you love.

ETA: Do you have the vendor shot of the stone? That should be more true to life colorwise.
S doesn''t like yellow in general, he said we could get it anyway, but it''s disheartening to see he isn''t impressed. It wasn''t as intense a yellow as I was expecting tbh. I''ll try and get some better photos tomorrow if the sun decides to show up. The vendor photos are in the link I listed in my first post, but here''s the face on shot for quick reference.

CHL008fsm.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 8:18:22 PM
Author: Liane
Date: 12/12/2009 7:06:25 PM

Anybody have anything to say? Good/bad? Should this not be a keeper? Nobody has had anything to see in almost 100 views...makes me worried.

The size looks good (pretty much what I consider perfect for a ring solitaire) and I really like what I can see of the faceting patterns, but tbh I haven't said anything else because I feel like the pictures probably aren't color-accurate, and color is 90% of the game. It looks brown to me in the photos but I think that can't be right, especially since you say it doesn't show any brown in real life.

Sorry.
7.gif
I know how frustrating it is to photograph gems. I spent almost 20 minutes this morning trying to photograph that Mahenge spinel before I gave it away, and I just could not capture its color for anything. And pink's not even supposed to be that hard to get, I'm just terrible at it. So I feel your pain.
Thanks...it's nice to know I'm in good company. I'm hoping for better luck in direct sunlight tomorrow. I'm very happy with the size and the faceting. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the size, I was kind of expecting it to be smaller which is less common from what I've read.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2009 9:35:49 PM

I haven't said anything because it does look brownish yellow in the photos, and I wasn't sure if you were wanting opinions on whether to keep it or not. Based strictly on the photos, I would return it because brownish yellow typically isn't a very desirable or expensive color. However, you state there's no brown at all. Regardless, what is it about the yellow color that S doesn't like, is it too washed out, does he see something you don't? The faceting is very nice, but with colored gems, color is really important, and it should be a color you love.

S doesn't like yellow in general, he said we could get it anyway, but it's disheartening to see he isn't impressed. It wasn't as intense a yellow as I was expecting tbh. I'll try and get some better photos tomorrow if the sun decides to show up. The vendor photos are in the link I listed in my first post, but here's the face on shot for quick reference.
Okay, went to go look at it on my good monitor and the reason you're not seeing a more intense yellow is because there's a significant grey mask to that stone which makes the yellow/green color look drab. For what you paid, I think you're paying mostly for precision faceting and not for the actual material itself. I think you can do a better color chrysoberyl for less money, and perhaps precision faceted as well. This is my honest opinion since you wanted opinions. We all work too hard for our money to not be 100% completely satisfied with a purchase.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 9:51:59 PM
Date: 12/12/2009 9:35:49 PM

I haven''t said anything because it does look brownish yellow in the photos, and I wasn''t sure if you were wanting opinions on whether to keep it or not. Based strictly on the photos, I would return it because brownish yellow typically isn''t a very desirable or expensive color. However, you state there''s no brown at all. Regardless, what is it about the yellow color that S doesn''t like, is it too washed out, does he see something you don''t? The faceting is very nice, but with colored gems, color is really important, and it should be a color you love.

S doesn''t like yellow in general, he said we could get it anyway, but it''s disheartening to see he isn''t impressed. It wasn''t as intense a yellow as I was expecting tbh. I''ll try and get some better photos tomorrow if the sun decides to show up. The vendor photos are in the link I listed in my first post, but here''s the face on shot for quick reference.

Okay, went to go look at it on my good monitor and the reason you''re not seeing a more intense yellow is because there''s a significant grey mask to that stone which makes the yellow/green color look drab. For what you paid, I think you''re paying mostly for precision faceting and not for the actual material itself. I think you can do a better color chrysoberyl for less money, and perhaps precision faceted as well. This is my honest opinion since you wanted opinions. We all work too hard for our money to not be 100% completely satisfied with a purchase.

Thanks TL, that helps a lot. I think we''re going to send it back, it just didn''t WOW me enough to keep. I think we''re going to do a slightly bigger (and more $) project for our 5 year dating anniversary in November of next year. That gives us a few months to toss around ideas, save up some extra money, and design/source, etc in time.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Normally I''m not a fan of yellow (just don''t think it looks good with my skintone) but I think the stone is very pretty and very well cut.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Did your boyfriend like the color of the stone in the handshots that Jeff provided? If he isn''t a big fan of those, he probably won''t like the stone (assuming that when you get out in some sunlight or in fluorescent lighting that it looks like those photos). If he does like it, then I''d at least wait for a sunny day (or different lighting). But if you''re feeling "meh" about it, then don''t keep it as it is too much money not to feel enthusiastic about the stone.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 9:26:56 AM
Author: AustenNut
Did your boyfriend like the color of the stone in the handshots that Jeff provided? If he isn''t a big fan of those, he probably won''t like the stone (assuming that when you get out in some sunlight or in fluorescent lighting that it looks like those photos). If he does like it, then I''d at least wait for a sunny day (or different lighting). But if you''re feeling ''meh'' about it, then don''t keep it as it is too much money not to feel enthusiastic about the stone.
I don''t know that he ever liked it, but he could tell that I was interested so he brought it in. Between his lack of enthusiasm and it not be quite as yellow as I''d anticipated, I don''t know that this will work for us. It''s still gloomy out though and I have a few more days to decide, we''ll hope for sunshine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 1:37:34 PM

Did your boyfriend like the color of the stone in the handshots that Jeff provided? If he isn't a big fan of those, he probably won't like the stone (assuming that when you get out in some sunlight or in fluorescent lighting that it looks like those photos). If he does like it, then I'd at least wait for a sunny day (or different lighting). But if you're feeling 'meh' about it, then don't keep it as it is too much money not to feel enthusiastic about the stone.
I don't know that he ever liked it, but he could tell that I was interested so he brought it in. Between his lack of enthusiasm and it not be quite as yellow as I'd anticipated, I don't know that this will work for us. It's still gloomy out though and I have a few more days to decide, we'll hope for sunshine.
Typically for me, and for the price you paid on that chrysoberyl (yellow chyrsoberyl with a grey mask is not that expensive per carat), I would want it to perform well in all lighting, not just sunny days. While it's not much to expect many stones to hold their color, they should look good in indoor lighting as well, or at least pleasing to the eye and not just "meh." It sounds as if it does not. If you didn't pay a lot for the stone, it might be a keeper, but seriously, I think you can do better for less money. JMO. Someone on this board purchased a very vibrant asscher cut yellow green chrysoberyl of 2.4 carats for about half of what you paid for that stone. It was also precision cut. She had it set in green gold, and there's a highlighted photo of it on Whiteflash's website. As much as I like Jeff's cutting, it should not be just cutting that is the determining factor for the price paid, but the color as well.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 1:48:41 PM

Did your boyfriend like the color of the stone in the handshots that Jeff provided? If he isn''t a big fan of those, he probably won''t like the stone (assuming that when you get out in some sunlight or in fluorescent lighting that it looks like those photos). If he does like it, then I''d at least wait for a sunny day (or different lighting). But if you''re feeling ''meh'' about it, then don''t keep it as it is too much money not to feel enthusiastic about the stone.

I don''t know that he ever liked it, but he could tell that I was interested so he brought it in. Between his lack of enthusiasm and it not be quite as yellow as I''d anticipated, I don''t know that this will work for us. It''s still gloomy out though and I have a few more days to decide, we''ll hope for sunshine.

Typically for me, and for the price you paid on that chrysoberyl (yellow chyrsoberyl with a grey mask is not that expensive per carat), I would want it to perform well in all lighting, not just sunny days. While it''s not much to expect many stones to hold their color, they should look good in indoor lighting as well, or at least pleasing to the eye and not just ''meh.'' It sounds as if it does not. If you didn''t pay a lot for the stone, it might be a keeper, but seriously, I think you can do better for less money. JMO. Someone on this board purchased a very vibrant asscher cut yellow green chrysoberyl of 2.4 carats for about half of what you paid for that stone. It was also precision cut. She had it set in green gold, and there''s a highlighted photo of it on Whiteflash''s website. As much as I like Jeff''s cutting, it should not be just cutting that is the determining factor for the price paid, but the color as well.
I think I''ve seen that ring, mochi''s right? It''s lovely. I''m thinking we could do better for the money. We paid $530 for the stone. I saw it in the sun today (not much, but some) and it definitely sparkles, but I''m guessing we can do one better and just need to be patient. We''re doing this for our 5th anniversary, which is just under a year away still, I guess I jumped the gun sort of. I recently found a setting (a 5 stone) that I really liked, so we''re maybe thinking of doing a 5 stone diamond band with colored melee (split shank). Sort of link Leon''s seen here, except with yellow gold shanks with green melee, or blue melee in white gold? I don''t know yet, but maybe something like that. He really likes blue and green stones and I like green best, which is why we''ve gone with the emeralds all this time. I think overall we''re pretty open to ideas and we''ll just have to see what comes up with the different vendors over the next few months.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 3:21:06 PM

Date: 12/13/2009 1:48:41 PM

Typically for me, and for the price you paid on that chrysoberyl (yellow chyrsoberyl with a grey mask is not that expensive per carat), I would want it to perform well in all lighting, not just sunny days. While it''s not much to expect many stones to hold their color, they should look good in indoor lighting as well, or at least pleasing to the eye and not just ''meh.'' It sounds as if it does not. If you didn''t pay a lot for the stone, it might be a keeper, but seriously, I think you can do better for less money. JMO. Someone on this board purchased a very vibrant asscher cut yellow green chrysoberyl of 2.4 carats for about half of what you paid for that stone. It was also precision cut. She had it set in green gold, and there''s a highlighted photo of it on Whiteflash''s website. As much as I like Jeff''s cutting, it should not be just cutting that is the determining factor for the price paid, but the color as well.
I think I''ve seen that ring, mochi''s right? It''s lovely. I''m thinking we could do better for the money. We paid $530 for the stone. I saw it in the sun today (not much, but some) and it definitely sparkles, but I''m guessing we can do one better and just need to be patient. We''re doing this for our 5th anniversary, which is just under a year away still, I guess I jumped the gun sort of. I recently found a setting (a 5 stone) that I really liked, so we''re maybe thinking of doing a 5 stone diamond band with colored melee (split shank). Sort of link Leon''s seen here, except with yellow gold shanks with green melee, or blue melee in white gold? I don''t know yet, but maybe something like that. He really likes blue and green stones and I like green best, which is why we''ve gone with the emeralds all this time. I think overall we''re pretty open to ideas and we''ll just have to see what comes up with the different vendors over the next few months.
Well cut stones will tend to sparkle nicely, but you can buy a $100 well cut stone, or a $10,000 well cut stone. What makes up for the difference in price? Color, size, rarity and the overall quality of the rough. What I''m saying is that people should not keep a stone only because it sparkles nicely, unless it''s a colorless stone like a white diamond. Colored gems are about the color that sings to you, and this is not it for you it seems. If you absolutely loved the color, I wouldn''t say a word, but you do seem on the fence.
2.gif

Yes, I was referencing Mochi''s stone.
30.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only go off of what I see in front of me when I say what I''m going to say.

I can see the green flashes, I particularly like that about the stone. I like green and yellow, but, I think the fact that the yellow is a bit overcast is enough to not make either of you very happy.

The cut is amazing which can''t be argued at all.

If you''re just not happy with it, its probably not right for you. I certainly suggest looking at colors that both of you can really enjoy if this stone dosen''t work for you.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour doesn''t appear very saturated; are you looking for a lemony yellow? If so, then this might not be the stone for you. If you don''t like, you can''t make yourself like it. It''s best to return it and keep looking. That said, the stone appears to have great dispersion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results