shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...are pets a luxury item?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, Casper is really lucky to have you and this is how I feel about our pets too- they are family, pure and simple.
Pets are a privilege to have as are children. Too many people don't view it this way and unfortunately the pets (and children) pay the price. Pets are not disposable- they are living beings and deserve love, attention and care. As do children. I see people who shouldn't have either but they do. :(( It takes hard work and commitment to have a pet.

So I view pets as family and a privilege and a serious commitment and for us so totally worth it!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't really think of them as a luxury item as far as our society goes. Anyway they make great friends and companions. Some people might also think children are luxury items.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1293070486|2804272 said:
I'll ditto the "weird question" comments. But then when are DF's questions NOT weird?

Pets are not "items", they are emergency food supplies. (Don't get mad at me, I'm just channeling my smartass husband who is currently muttering about how best to prepare ferrets, and how parakeet bills make good toothpicks..)

Dogs on the other hand, they earn their keep by killing crickets, spiders, chasing squirrels, and puppy-pre-washing the dishes. They're "green" AND security. Necessity "item".

Well cats can eat mice and flies.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We have a cat. I like her quite a lot. I may even love her. But, she's definitely a cat, not family, a cat.

And, yes, I believe pets are a luxury item. Some, like cats, goldfish, frogs are small luxuries. They don't cost very much. Giant koi ponds, expensive breeds of dogs that require a lot of care, horses, those are bigger luxuries.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on how your family expects to treat said pets. On PS it seems the vast majority treat their pets as family members, spend a lot of money of speciality foods and vet care. However, I know more people in real life that just don't do pets that way - or do pets at all for that matter. My IL's don't do pets of any kind. When I first met DH they had an outside dog that was fed table scraps and never saw a vet. At the time, I felt so so bad for the dog (and still do), but on the other hand I now can see why they didn't want the dog in the house. That's extreme, of course, but I know many families that have pets that treat them just as that - as pets. No special foods, no special vet care and if the animal gets sick it gets put down - this is pretty much how I was brought up. We always had a stinky house full of dogs and cats. They were fed grocery store food (Pedigree) and only went to the vet to get fixed.

I always treated our (me and DH's) pets as family members until we had kids. At one time we had 2 dogs and 2 cats. 1 dog got re-homed to a woman my MIL knows because he was agressive towards our son as an infant and the 2 cats went to a friend of a friend around the same time. There were other reasons surrounding the decisions that DH and I made regarding the animals but in the long run, I'm glad that we got rid of them when we did. We currently have only one dog (a pug) and while she is the sweetest thing on earth she's moved way down on the totem pole. She is old and spends most of her time sleeping, which now occurs in our gated off kitchen because we don't want her in the living room or on the furniture. If she gets sick she will likely be put down because we do not have the LUXURY of having the time or money to deal with it. I don't think that means we don't deserve her as a pet, but rather it's an indication that our priorities have changed. Before we had 2 kids it was a different story entirely. After she passes we do not plan on getting any more pets for at least a few years because we recognize our limitations.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog had various health ailments during his lifetime...treatable, but required trips to the vet, medication, blood tests,IV's, hospital stays etc. We spent thousands. We did it gladly because we loved him, wanted to keep him healthy and wanted him to be with us for as long as possible. Luckily we were able to handle the bills.

How can anyone say having a pet isn't a luxury? If you get a cat or dog, you must be prepared to handle the vet expenses. And they could potentially get very high.

ETA: It would have broken my heart to have to put my dog down for a treatable ailment. I would have suffered from guilt for the rest of my life.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
somethingshiny|1303590460|2903554 said:
But, she's definitely a cat, not family, a cat.

I agree, that is how I view animals!

I think it is harsh, unreasonable, and unrealistic that people think that you shouldn't get an animal unless you are going to treat it like family.

One of my family members needs a heart transplant or has cancer that will cost 100k + to treat, I will do anything in the world to come up with the money. My cat/dog needs a 100k surgery, umm yeah I will not go bankrupt or beg family/friends for money, or do anything at all to come up with that money. Does that make me a bad pet owner, because I don't consider kitty/doggy family? No, it does not.

I think if you provide everything for your animal (food, shelter, attention, trips to vet, etc) but don't love them like your husband or children, you are still good pet owner. In fact, I would be worried if you loved your animal as much as your spouse or offspring.

A lot of poor animals will go homeless if it becomes a requirement to treat and feel the same way about a pet as your family.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1303576665|2903408 said:
Dancing Fire|1303501150|2902805 said:
katamari|1293167956|2805262 said:
Yes, they are a luxury. However, I also believe that once you adopt one, it becomes your obligation to care for it properly.

what if one can no longer afford to care for their pets property? what can you do, starve your own family and feed the pets?

i ask this Q ,cuz lately there are a few hobbyist on the koi forum who can no longer afford to keep their koi.

And I don't know anything about koi, but aren't they expensive? Would it be possible to sell the fish if the owner could no longer afford to pay for them? I can't see owning a pet if you can't afford to take proper care of them.
some,but for most koi you couldn't even give them away for free.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I can't imagine getting rid of my cats after having my DD. It's been great for her to have animals in her life. She loves them just as much as we do :) They are members of our family.

Also, I feel pets are a commitment. People should really think twice about adopting them if they aren't willing to make that commitment.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire, you are such a provocateur. and you get people every time.

I think this one depends on your perspective. Pets can definitely be like family and I think a person ought to respect that. I always commiserate/mourn with my friends when the pets they have had a long time die. However, people from other cultures that are not on our level materially don't necessarily think like this. I always remember one of my uncles coming from a third world country which shall remain unnamed, where people are poor/hungry. He said that he realized America was a really, really rich country because of all the animals that people kept as pets and 'had not eaten yet'.

He also soon realized that he had better not say things like that in public here.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Continuing with being provocative--
People in other countries also don't necessarily think of children the same way we do.
Ask all the little girls in China/India--and not only there. As soon as people were allowed to have only one child, who gets chucked into the garbage, not fed, sex selected aborted, sold knowingly into prostitution by parents while still under the age of twelve, etc?
A girl is a luxury item in a lot of the world, and one that people don't want/don't need or can't afford, while a boy is considered a necessity (if healthy, of course).
And all the preaching done by well-fed and uncomprehending Western women does not change people's minds about this.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1303624792|2903903 said:
junebug17|1303576665|2903408 said:
Dancing Fire|1303501150|2902805 said:
katamari|1293167956|2805262 said:
Yes, they are a luxury. However, I also believe that once you adopt one, it becomes your obligation to care for it properly.

what if one can no longer afford to care for their pets property? what can you do, starve your own family and feed the pets?

i ask this Q ,cuz lately there are a few hobbyist on the koi forum who can no longer afford to keep their koi.

And I don't know anything about koi, but aren't they expensive? Would it be possible to sell the fish if the owner could no longer afford to pay for them? I can't see owning a pet if you can't afford to take proper care of them.
some,but for most koi you couldn't even give them away for free.

Oh ok, thanks for the info. It can be tough to re-home a pet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results