IYO...are pets a luxury item?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
you can insure body parts... ;))

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1293052208|2803990 said:
kenny|1293051688|2803986 said:
Define luxury - anything beyond, air, water and food?

Anything that you can insure? ::)

You can insure pets!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1293052322|2803994 said:

Well, I consider myself very fortunate to have fingers to put bling on, so I guess I'll consider all intact appendages a blessing!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got mine insured.

You'd insure it too. :naughty:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never thought about it as such, but will say I guess they are a luxury. Vet bills, food and care when you are away all add up. I can't imagine life without my pets.

I am staying home this Xmas to be with Casper. He didn't do well with the Pet sitter over Thanksgiving. I came back and he could barely walk... Thought he had a stroke. The Pet Sitter is excellent, but just lost her husband to cancer and feel she hired people who really didn't give him the care, the love and attention that she or I would. The Vet said he shut down due to my absence.

Asking someone to come 5 times a day on Xmas Eve and Christmas is out of the question so am staying home to give him the TLC he deserves. After all he's given that to all of us 10 times over...

Sorry to go off topic, this just hit home with me...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How quickly luxuries become necessities.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1293046360|2803880 said:
Pets are family. If they aren't family to you . . . don't have one. Now, I'm speaking specifically about the usual pets like cats, dogs, and other mammals who interact with their owners. And birds. I can't speak for fish. Or reptiles.

HollyS: I completely agree with you. Its also why I think that having one is a luxury. I don't mean to say that a pet is like an ipod or a fancy car. Just that owning a pet is expensive and I think that should be considered before somebody buys one. I view my cats as a luxury because I waited years to get them. I knew I couldn't afford proper care while I was in school so I waited. I think that being able to have a pet isn't automatic. There is a certain amount of financial responsibility required.

I truely view them as part of my family, so it sickens me when my vet is surprised that I'm willing to let my cat have an ultrasound related to a possibly life threatening situation. He said that most people just bring their pet home and "wait to see what happens". I wouldn't do that to a family member, so I'm not doing that to my cats.

Earlier this year a friend of mine bought a cat. I recommended my pet health insurance plan and she said she couldn't afford the payments...they're $22 per month. If she can't afford that, I don't see how she can afford emergency care if there is ever a need for it (not saying that people have to insure their pets, just saying that if that cost is a stretch, then I don't see how they can afford other pet related costs).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1293052945|2804006 said:

I got mine insured.

You'd insure it too. :naughty:

yours is more susceptible to damage. mine's tucked away. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the other responses yet so I'm probably repeating others.

It depends. If you're struggling to put food on the table and/or if you have trouble paying bills, etc., then yes, I consider pets to be a luxury.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1293046360|2803880 said:
Pets are family. If they aren't family to you . . . don't have one. Now, I'm speaking specifically about the usual pets like cats, dogs, and other mammals who interact with their owners. And birds. I can't speak for fish. Or reptiles.

DF, a pond full of koi are not pets - - in the normal sense. But I'm sure they wouldn't object to a little love and pampering. :bigsmile:
not pets. members on the koi forums say "time to feed the kids"... :bigsmile:

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I dont think pets are a luxury, they are family. Yes, they can get pricey, i have two cats who can eat a person out of house and home, but i havehad them since i was in High school, and love them completely. They are my babies, just like my doggies are, and one of them is a lot of money due to health issues. Honestly i think i would rather have a pet than a kid :lol:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll ditto the "weird question" comments. But then when are DF's questions NOT weird?

Pets are not "items", they are emergency food supplies. (Don't get mad at me, I'm just channeling my smartass husband who is currently muttering about how best to prepare ferrets, and how parakeet bills make good toothpicks..)

Dogs on the other hand, they earn their keep by killing crickets, spiders, chasing squirrels, and puppy-pre-washing the dishes. They're "green" AND security. Necessity "item".

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1293052970|2804008 said:
Never thought about it as such, but will say I guess they are a luxury. Vet bills, food and care when you are away all add up. I can't imagine life without my pets.

I am staying home this Xmas to be with Casper. He didn't do well with the Pet sitter over Thanksgiving. I came back and he could barely walk... Thought he had a stroke. The Pet Sitter is excellent, but just lost her husband to cancer and feel she hired people who really didn't give him the care, the love and attention that she or I would. The Vet said he shut down due to my absence.

Asking someone to come 5 times a day on Xmas Eve and Christmas is out of the question so am staying home to give him the TLC he deserves. After all he's given that to all of us 10 times over...

Lisa,
Hugs to you. Casper is so lucky to have you :)

I cannot imagine leaving my cat alone over the holidays. My fish either...I know they're just little things, but they too need care and it would be really sad for them to become sick due to lack of care. Someone did watch them for me for a few weeks and the person didn't replace the water that evaporated down...something I didn't think to mention to her...luckily the fish were okay and my heaters didn't burn out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1293045164|2803864 said:
I don't even want to detail how much we spend on our furbabies each month, but it is A LOT. Between the raw diet and the ongoing training, vet expenses, not to mention the yearly boarding expense when we go on vacation, these babies are costly.

Should I even add in the cost of the treadmill and the pool? We bought both of those so we could give pup #1 adequate exercise.

But they are worth every penny. Every. single. one.

Haven - what kind of pool did you put in? Ahhh, if only my cat wanted one :) lol He is totally facinated by my fish tanks and he use to sit on top of one of them until he FELL IN!!! One morning I heard a crash and ran into my kids' room to find a wet dresser, a half empty 5-gallon tank, too amazed kids, and a sleek black cat casually strolling out of the room. lol

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1293079638|2804373 said:
Kaleigh|1293052970|2804008 said:

Lisa,
Hugs to you. Casper is so lucky to have you :)

I cannot imagine leaving my cat alone over the holidays. My fish either...I know they're just little things, but they too need care and it would be really sad for them to become sick due to lack of care. Someone did watch them for me for a few weeks and the person didn't replace the water that evaporated down...something I didn't think to mention to her...luckily the fish were okay and my heaters didn't burn out.

Thanks MC. It will be my first Xmas without my DH and Kids. I am not going to hold them back, as many years we were here for my Nanny and DH didn't get time with his family. So off they go on the 24th... I have friends here, not a big deal. Ash and Rob know that Casper isn't well and needs me and only me.. We celebrated tonight.

Casper sees people coming and going and just tries to hang on to me... He can't see all, but he sure knows stuff is up.

To me, it's a luxury that my family is allowing me to take a pass on Xmas and giving me the blessing to be with my dear one.

That is the best gift I could get, understanding and love.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry Kaleigh :(sad . But Casper is lucky to have you.

I missed the family Tgiving and New Year gatherings a couple of years ago when our kitty Garet was sick, I stayed with him and DH flew across the country to represent 'us'. The vet diagnosed FIP but gave him acute hepatitis medication just in case, and we got lucky - he made a full recovery. It was hard being alone and missing everything, but leaving him by himself and constantly worrying would've been infinitely worse :sick: I hope better weather will bring Casper better health.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always thought as pets as a privilege, not a right. Luxury? Yeah, in certain terms, in that pets cost money, you need money for luxuries. We call our dogs 'the kids', they are our everything! I cop A LOT of eyerolling from my collegues :bigsmile:

Big, big hugs to you, Kaleigh. This time last year I was nursing my precious Bubbles through palliation due to lymphoma, I'm really feeling for you. Casper is one lucky boy xxx

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Pets are family and it's a privlidge to have them in your life. Bling, on the other hand, is a luxury. I know we've paid way more for my bling then our dog but the love I get from our dog means more to me. If it came down to a choice between the two, I'd gladly give up every sparkly I own.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1293149639|2805062 said:
Pets are family and it's a privlidge to have them in your life. Bling, on the other hand, is a luxury. I know we've paid way more for my bling then our dog but the love I get from our dog means more to me. If it came down to a choice between the two, I'd gladly give up every sparkly I own.
let me know when you decide to do it... ;))

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are a luxury. However, I also believe that once you adopt one, it becomes your obligation to care for it properly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katamari|1293167956|2805262 said:
Yes, they are a luxury. However, I also believe that once you adopt one, it becomes your obligation to care for it properly.

what if one can no longer afford to care for their pets property? what can you do, starve your own family and feed the pets?

i ask this Q ,cuz lately there are a few hobbyist on the koi forum who can no longer afford to keep their koi.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
This question has the potential to bring out heated and emotional responses---people LOVE their pets. Is this another example of the threads you are so famous for DF? :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lbbaber|1303502606|2902816 said:
This question has the potential to bring out heated and emotional responses---people LOVE their pets. Is this another example of the threads you are so famous for DF? :lol:
why would it ? :confused:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1303510865|2902890 said:
lbbaber|1303502606|2902816 said:
why would it ? :confused:

I am just teasing you DF, no worries :D . People REALLY do love their pets though (rightfully so). I personally walk softly when I talk about family pets ...the love/bond pet owners have with their animals is just as powerful as the love/bond between a parent and child.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES. Pets are a luxury item as far as this: any animal who is taken in by a person who doesn't put that animal to USE is a luxury item. IMO, if said animal isn't doing something to contribute to the family (work-wise) then that animal is a luxury, not a useful creature, and therefore, a pet. We humans like to indulge ourselves and call these animals pets or whatever, which is awesome! I have a beagle. She was bred for hunting rabbits, bringing home game for humans to eat. I don't use her for that, I purchased her for companionship and because she was gorgeous! She is PURELY a luxury to me. Also, she's a pet and a companion, and definitely part of our family. Now, if I used her as she was meant to be used...she'd be just another dog. Boo!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1293052405|2803997 said:
Well, I consider myself very fortunate to have fingers to put bling on, so I guess I'll consider all intact appendages a blessing!!
:lol: :lol:

Not for me, they're not a luxury. I'd become cranky & weird in a house without barf stains on the rug or trails of leaf shards tracked through. Just not natural!

Anyway, pets adopt me more often than the other way around. Even when DH & I had a commuter marriage & I lived in a company apt., the silence deafened me till I ended up rescuing some zebra finches thrown out the window by a mother in the complex who was tired of them -- they would've died in the sub-zero winters. Got a book, found myself shredding hardboiled eggs & carrots & preparing tiny baths before heading to work at 6 a.m. Unfortunately, 2 became a zillion -- those critters bang all day long!! I discarded their eggs & substituted fake ones so mama wouldn't get PTSD, but left them w/my secretary while I took a 2-wk business trip. She let 'em hatch, the twerp. Holy moley, finches everywhere! They were fascinating, though.

Everybody's right, however, who says if you can't or don't want to give them the care & attention they need, DON'T GET A PET. Nothing wrong with not wanting one. Wrong to get one anyhow -- "for the kids," etc. When I pestered my parents for a horse -- we had plenty of property for one but w/a family of 6, not the funds -- they said, "When you have your own house, you can cram it full of horses if you like. But we aren't having one here." Good thinking.

-- Laurie

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I consider my kids essential to a happy life. So, no.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Define luxury.
Is a luxury anything that is not a life-sustaining necessity, like air water and food?

I think the definition depends on a person's income.
I'd say if a person's income is low enough a pet is a luxury.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1303501150|2902805 said:
katamari|1293167956|2805262 said:

what if one can no longer afford to care for their pets property? what can you do, starve your own family and feed the pets?

i ask this Q ,cuz lately there are a few hobbyist on the koi forum who can no longer afford to keep their koi.

It pains me to say this, but if someone can no longer afford to take care of their pet, I think it's only fair to the animal to find it another loving home that can afford to pay for it's care.

I don't want to insult fish owners, but I would think it might be a little easier to part with fish as opposed to a dog or cat? Sorry if I'm wrong on that!

And I don't know anything about koi, but aren't they expensive? Would it be possible to sell the fish if the owner could no longer afford to pay for them? I can't see owning a pet if you can't afford to take proper care of them.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a sense, yes. If you can't afford to put food on your table, then having a pet is a luxury (and cruel too, as the pet probably won't be well fed either). I agree with a pet being a member of the family and a responsibility in the same sense that my human children are. If I can't give them the love, care and attention they need, then I shouldn't have them. We waited til I was home with our children to get a dog. I just couldn't get a puppy, then be away at work for 10-12 hours a day....I know that lots of people do it, but I just couldn't. Our dog was actually resuced from a family who kept her in a crate 13 hours a day as a tiny puppy and she started eating her feces b/c she didn't want to lay in it. The family thought it was so gross they gave her away. So here's a family who probably could afford the food and vet care, but was emotionally unprepared to have a pet. IMO, a pet was a luxury item they should not have had.

It took some time and hard work, but after a few months, Zoe no longer did that and is a terrific family pet (though she is known for stealing food off a the plate if you're not watching her, lol).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results