shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve go 100 people coming to my house tomorrow -- and I''m in a panic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do I do this to myself every year?!? I invite my friends and clients over for what I call the "pre holiday madness" party with the goal of having a drink and one more relaxing evening before the holidays grip us all totally in their clutches for the season. But I think it's gotten too big... and my house has gotten to small! A few years ago I lived in a giant loft (the main room as 80 X 30) and I could have had 500 people and it wouldn't have mattered. But now I live in a 4 story townhouse--so the floorplates are small--and everyone always tries to jam themselves into the damn kitchen anyway. (Why is that BTW?)

So help me... do I have enough food and booze? I have two cases of wine (one red, one white) and 6 bottles of prosecco. One of each bottle of all sorts of the hard stuff with cranberry juice and orange juice, club soda, seltzer, and various sodas. And three cases of beer.

For food I've go four (or is it 5?) kinds of cheese, smoked salmon, 6 (yes SIX) pounds of shrimp cocktail, crackers and chips, three kinds of dips, spiced nuts, and desserts up the ying yang. That doesn't seem like enough, does it? I want to avoid hot food because in past years the HH has spent the whole time in front of the oven putting things in and taking them out and I can't mingle with everyone along so I told him no hot food this year. But do I need more cold stuff? What though?

Argh! Don't get me wrong, I'm exceptionally thankful I have this many people that want to come to my house... but next year I'm moving this party to a restaurant or something!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay~

It''s perfect. You have a nice selection of appetizers and beverages. You didn''t invite them for a 7 course dinner, what you have is great.

Have fun!
1.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Yum! I''ll be over! Hehe.
41.gif

Sounds great to me. Try to relax and enjoy yourself!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I forgot to mention (probably because this was not at all food/beverage related, but it is indeed party related) that I made the executive decision to send The Demon and his Brother Trouble *off site* for the evening. I know lots of people will be disappointed (my clients LOOOOOVE the mutts for some reason) but I couldn't handle the potential of dog induced pandamonium on top of everything else. Last year Dino chose the one dark skinned person in the room and barked at him (teeth bared) all night long. And Oscar has a weird piss-right-on-the-floor reaction to middled aged women who are a few pounds over weight the instant they reach out to pet him. Sigh. My next dogs will be *NORMAL*.

ETA: And the title is supposed to be "I've GOT 100 people... " See--I'm in *such* a panic I can't even type!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Dee, how long is everyone there for? 2 hours? 3?

You''ve got 36 bottles (avg 4 generous glasses each), plus beer/liquor, so I really think you''re set on the booze.

I''d beef up the food a bit to make sure no one gets too tipsy. Possibilities to choose from:

Get a tray of either cold finger sandwiches or half-wraps from local deli
Assorted bread/dips platter
A room-temp pasta salad (oil based, not mayo)....I have a recipe if you need it. REALLY easy.
Hummus & pita bread
Maybe a veggie platter
Cold marinated asparagus & mushrooms
Caprese platter (sliced tomatoes and mozz. cheese with basil; drizzled w/olive oil)

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:10:26 PM
Author: ang3199
Yum! I'll be over! Hehe.
41.gif

Sounds great to me. Try to relax and enjoy yourself!
Make that 102...I'll be coming over too
emotion-19.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Al, some people come for one drink and go on home... some people (last year) stayed until 2:00 am...

Can I have the pasta salad receipe please?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I have 20 people coming over this weekend, and 3 cases of beer, but only 5 bottles of wine! I guess we like our beer, you have 100 people and 3 cases, I have 20, and 3 cases...what''s wrong with that picture? LOL. I too, am sticking to cold foods. Cheeseball/crackers, shrimp ring, sushi, nacho dip (seems to be a hit all the time), deviled eggs, finger sandwiches, and some desserts. Spincah dip/pumpernickel seems to be easy and loved by all too! My house is about 2400 sq. feet, and I am worried about 22 people fitting in here ...and you have 100? WOW, that''s brave!! LOL. Have fun at your party, I think you''re pretty much set.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinach Pasta Salad from Ms. Ray

Coarse salt
1 package fresh mushroom or chicken prosciutto or spinach filled tortellini (recommended: Contadina or Buitoni brands) available on dairy aisle in most markets
1/2 pound fresh baby spinach
1 (15-ounce) can baby artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
1 red roasted pepper, drained and chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
1 lemon, zested
2 teaspoons lemon juice, the juice of 1 wedge
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, a couple of splashes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaves, eyeball it
Black pepper
A handful sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, coarsely chopped
Bring 5 or 6 inches of water to a boil in a large pot. Salt boiling water and add pasta. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until pasta is just tender and the tortellini are floating like buoys. Drain tortellini, then cool the cooked pasta by spreading them out on a large plate or a cookie sheet in a single layer.
Coarsely chop baby spinach. Combine with artichoke pieces, roasted red pepper and red onion. Chop garlic, then add salt to it and mash it into a paste with the flat of your knife. Transfer garlic paste to a small bowl and add lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar to it. Whisk in oil, thyme and pepper. Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to the salad. Dress salad and gently toss. Serve or refrigerate.

DeeJay, wishing you the best!!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, love your holiday avatar! It sounds like you have everything covered - and then some. I think as long as you have booze and munchies the party will take care of itself. Your description of the Demon and Trouble''s antics made me laugh - sounds just like my two!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bwauahahahah! Serioiusly, there''s no way I could fit 100 people in my house. Just thinking about it makes me giddy. They''d be in closets, bathrooms, the laundry room... You sound like you''ve got the pandemonium under control, my hat''s off to you! I wish I could stop by for the food. I''d do dishes in return.
31.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
DeeJay! Take pictures!! It sounds like you''re planning a WILD night. Haha.

I think you''ve got plenty in terms of food. I like the assorted bread idea...inebriated people like bread and cheese. Can''t wait to hear about it!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:14:57 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Oh, and I forgot to mention (probably because this was not at all food/beverage related, but it is indeed party related) that I made the executive decision to send The Demon and his Brother Trouble *off site* for the evening. I know lots of people will be disappointed (my clients LOOOOOVE the mutts for some reason) but I couldn''t handle the potential of dog induced pandamonium on top of everything else. Last year Dino chose the one dark skinned person in the room and barked at him (teeth bared) all night long. And Oscar has a weird piss-right-on-the-floor reaction to middled aged women who are a few pounds over weight the instant they reach out to pet him. Sigh. My next dogs will be *NORMAL*.

ETA: And the title is supposed to be ''I''ve GOT 100 people... '' See--I''m in *such* a panic I can''t even type!
LOL!!!!! You are cracking me up! I almost fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. I am upstairs with the window open and a neighbor just walked by...They must think I''m nutso! My animals are completely crazy, too, so I''m glad to see that I''m not alone!

Your party sounds fab! Try to enjoy it. You sound like a wonderful host!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, I think you''re ok on the alcohol and the food. I just organized a 4 hour event for work for between 100-200 people, we had a turnout of about 125 and went through only two cases of wine, one cheese tray from Jewel that was supposed to serve 20-25 people, and probably 5 lbs. of assorted soft-center chocolates. Oh, and 4 boxes of those entertaining crackers from Carr''s (the variety box, not the plain ol'' water crackers.) I opted to not do hot hors d''heuvres because as you mentioned, it''s so much work to make sure everything stays warm that there isn''t time for the person in charge of that task to mingle. I had no complaints besides my boss telling me I ordered too much cheese (we had two other huge trays of beautiful cheeses that the owner took home because we didn''t even open them.)

People don''t eat that much at cocktail parties! Remember last year, Dee, when you first joined the WWT and you had rounds of these types of parties to go to, you were concerned about not overindulging in the food and keeping the drinks minimal. I think that''s the way most people are thinking these days...the more you put in front of them, though, the more they will eat. I honestly think your current selection is perfect.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:21:41 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Al, some people come for one drink and go on home... some people (last year) stayed until 2:00 am...

Can I have the pasta salad receipe please?

Sure - here it is:

FABULOUS Pasta Salad

Dressing:
3/4 cup (175 ml) olive oil
3/4 cup (175 ml) white wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp (10 ml) Dijon mustard
1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh oregano OR 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste

Salad:
1 16 oz (448 grm). package bow tie pasta, cooked and drained
1 package fresh spinach, torn
1 cup (225 ml) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced green onions
1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced black olives
3/4 cup (175 ml) crumbled feta cheese

Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
In a salad bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
Add the dressing to the salad; toss to coat.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I'm kinda paniking for you!!!

Honestly, I think you have the basics covered. The only thing I dont want you to forget - is to have fun!!!!!!!!

100 people. Holy Cow!

PS. Beau - you crack me up. I have 9 ppl for dinner coming and I think we have as much booze as Dee*Jay has for her 100ppl too. WE are seriously 'wrong' up here in the Great white north. I like to think we drink to stay warm. haha.
41.gif

ETA: Sushi is always a huge hit here. Do you have a favourite Sushi place you can order a large tray from?!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that adding a pasta dish and some other type of food item would be good, but think other than that your are set. sounds like it''s going to a fab party!!!!!!

did you end up putting up the tree or leaving it down?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ,

DH and I will be right over. Adding little sandwhiches sounds great. Do you have a Costco near you? They make these GREAT turkey wraps. I am getting them for our party on the 8th.

Linda P.S. My list is only 28, not 100 YIKES!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 12:43:21 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I agree that adding a pasta dish and some other type of food item would be good, but think other than that your are set. sounds like it''s going to a fab party!!!!!!
Totally agree with Mrs. S. (as I usually do, she''s a smart cookie!
2.gif
).......

I think the pasta salad would be fine. Other than the pasta, nothing else in it is cooked, it''s just a bit of rough chopping and you''re done. Really easy/quick to assemble.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee, I hesitate to respond in here, as I did in your party thread last year, only to have your party snowed out, and we lost power from the ice storm for almost 7 days.
11.gif

Sounds good, and sandwiches, or something "bready" to soak up spirits sounds good too. Sandwiches will be easy, and/or, if you want it, I''ve got a great, VERY easy crab spread that goes on sour dough (or I''m sure many other variations would do) bread, which you could get sliced, if you really wanted easy. Better made up the day before, which would help also.

And they ALWAYS want to hang in the kitchen.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

Could you please post your crab spread. That sounds delicious for my party next week. Please???
36.gif

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll say they want to hang in the kitchen and I am always pushing them aside LOL.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH just called and said he bought an outdoor firepit for our party. Hummmm, wonder what it looks like. He said that way, guests can sit outside and have their drinks and sit around the fire. We will have a fire in the family room too. They can also sit in the living room.

How much you want to bet, they will be in the kitchen though?

DJ: Can you put a firepit on your patio?

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 5:14:23 PM
Author: Linda W
Ellen,

Could you please post your crab spread. That sounds delicious for my party next week. Please???
36.gif

Linda
Sure!

Crab Spread on Sourdough Bread

1/2 c. mayo (real)
1/2 c. Parmeasan cheese. (in the plastic container, finely ground)
2 green onions, chopped
6 oz. can crabmeat

Mix, and let sit at least several hours, to 2 days, the longer the better it is. May be spread cold (closer to room temp spreads easier), or spread and run under broiler until lightly brown. I''ve done both, and actually prefer it cold, better flavor.

If you''re having more than a few people, at least double it, it doesn''t last long, at least around here.
18.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 5:24:18 PM
Author: Linda W
My DH just called and said he bought an outdoor firepit for our party. Hummmm, wonder what it looks like. He said that way, guests can sit outside and have their drinks and sit around the fire. We will have a fire in the family room too. They can also sit in the living room.

How much you want to bet, they will be in the kitchen though?

DJ: Can you put a firepit on your patio?

Linda
No bet, they will.
11.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Ellen,

I just printed it out.

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
emthup.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Ellen,

Guess I will be pushing them out of the way AGAIN!! HA H AH AHA.

Linda

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
You''re party is well underway, DeeJay, hope it''s going well!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We''re almost 6 hours into it and every damn person is in the kitchen!!! I''ll post more later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results