shape
carat
color
clarity

It has arrived! My new pink tourmaline! First gem ever :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone for the comments! I am very happy I found my stone.

I will add it really is striking, and gives off some serious light, like in the pictures I took. So thanks everyone for noticing!

I am not sure if that is commonplace for stones like this one, or if this one is a good find because of that?

And Chrono, if you think it is peachy it can be peachy! I personally don't see it, even in the pictures, but maybe it is!

Date: 7/3/2009 12:02:49 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What's the mm size? You can do one of the legacy type setting that LOGR sells, with diamonds, in your price range.

It is 9.1mm x 9.1mm exactly. The jewelry store i visited as a jumping off point for new ideas did measure its depth but i stupidly didn't write it down. Would a certain depth be a make-or-break for a setting? Like could the LOGR one potentially not work if my stone is too shallow or too deep?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
LG- Great job for your first stone ever. Gene is a wonderful cutter. Can''t wait to see it set
36.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How great you found exactly what you were looking for on your first try!
36.gif
It''s a beautiful stone, soft and elegant. I can''t wait to see what you decide regarding the setting, I second the rose gold suggestion.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME COLOR....CONGRATULATIONS!!!
30.gif

Lori

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You did awesome for your first stone ever. I am in love with the stone, but I do have a thing for pink stones. I usually like the brighter and deeper pinks, but your stone actually gets me thinking about a lighter pink for my next ring!

I can''t wait to see what you decide on for the setting.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous blush pink, it reminds me of morganite! I would set this baby in rose gold for sure!

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Can anyone enlighten me on which color gold and what type of setting would make my stone appear the least dark pink? Like will rose gold make the stone look pinker? And will a halo or bezel vs. just prongs make the stone appear darker pink?

Or is this more of an issue with diamonds, and not colored stones?

Thanks
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2009 5:15:10 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
Can anyone enlighten me on which color gold and what type of setting would make my stone appear the least dark pink? Like will rose gold make the stone look pinker? And will a halo or bezel vs. just prongs make the stone appear darker pink?

Or is this more of an issue with diamonds, and not colored stones?

Thanks
35.gif
Rose gold will make the pink richer. An enclosed halo and bezel will also make it a darker pink. This is different from diamonds because coloured gemstones are not cut for light return (dispersion) but for maximum colour appearance.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a picture or something of the look you''re trying to go after?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/5/2009 12:40:38 PM
Is there a picture or something of the look you're trying to go after?

No, I don't have a specific look that I am set on. I do really like this design, but the price I was quoted from them is more the price i would spend on an engagement ring setting, not my first project:

23rd street jewelers setting

What do you think of this setting? Would it overpower the pink tourmaline I purchased?

Blue Nile setting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 6:56:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! I am very happy I found my stone.

I will add it really is striking, and gives off some serious light, like in the pictures I took. So thanks everyone for noticing!

I am not sure if that is commonplace for stones like this one, or if this one is a good find because of that?

And Chrono, if you think it is peachy it can be peachy! I personally don't see it, even in the pictures, but maybe it is!

Date: 7/3/2009 12:02:49 PM
What's the mm size? You can do one of the legacy type setting that LOGR sells, with diamonds, in your price range.

It is 9.1mm x 9.1mm exactly. The jewelry store i visited as a jumping off point for new ideas did measure its depth but i stupidly didn't write it down. Would a certain depth be a make-or-break for a setting? Like could the LOGR one potentially not work if my stone is too shallow or too deep?
I think it would fit okay in a 9x9 LOGR and I don't think the stone has odd proportions in the fact that it's too shallow or deep. If it were too shallow or deep, it wouldn't be a fine precision cut, which it most certainly is (Gene is a master lapidary!!).

I can't open the link to the ring you want for 23rd street jewelers, but as to your second choice, I think I would do a thnner shank for the stone. Have you even thought about setting it on a diagonal? That would be nice as well. I would like to see it in a very thin micro-pave band like this with or without the halo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NATURAL-BLUE-TOPAZ-FINE-DIAMONDS-14K-WHITE-GOLD-RING_W0QQitemZ220431383169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item3352bbfa81&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A30

I don't know if you want a halo, but it would help protect the stone a little bit.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline_Lover,

I don''t know what is up with the 23rd street link. It is in the pink section of the rings, item # SMR3530-- it is shown with an oval stone, in a rose gold diamond halo. I''d love to find something with that quality, but not for 3-4K.

I think you are right about the thinner band, and thanks for letting me know the halo would actually protect the stone. I didn''t know that!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2009 3:16:15 PM
Tourmaline_Lover,

I don't know what is up with the 23rd street link. It is in the pink section of the rings, item # SMR3530-- it is shown with an oval stone, in a rose gold diamond halo. I'd love to find something with that quality, but not for 3-4K.

I think you are right about the thinner band, and thanks for letting me know the halo would actually protect the stone. I didn't know that!
That's very pretty. You should check out stuller and some other catalogs for a delicate halo like that. I know Yigal also sells some of the mountings without stones. He's the seller I listed the ebay link for. As always, you can send a picture of that to LOGR and see if they can come up with a custom design for you in your price range. The quality is very good for the price point, and make sure to tell him you're a Pricescoper!!

Tourmalines tend to easily chip, so something surrounding the stone, whether it's a halo, or even better, a bezel (for protection), is better than nothing. If you are very hard with your jewelry, I wouldn't wear it as an everyday piece.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! The color is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results