shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold popularity coming back ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 7:47:42 PM
Author: Vix
Hey, I''ll say that I am hoping and HOPING yellow gold comes back in...because I loathe it on ME! Just rotten on my skin tone, although rose gold is bearable.

And because it looks so bad on me I do have a harder time appreciating its beauty; that''s quite silly of me but there ya go.

So come on back around, YG -- and hopefully a fair number of people will decide to swap out their white metals. I''ll be the one waiting like a vulture to snap up secondhand WG/plat pieces.

Ooo! *drools over Vix''s avatar*
18.gif
. Do you have any larger images of your avatar ring, so that I can add it to my sparkie **** collection my rings folder?
31.gif

As for the lemon pie, as far as I know it is invoked out bring a light note into a discussion that is turning heated.

Differences of opinion are inevitable on any forum, and it can be difficult (for me, being the tactless but well-intentional gal that I am) to avoid stepping on anyone''s toes. There are always going to be people who don''t agree with you, after all, and it can be hard to avoid feeling hurt or offended. I just try to avoid letting that show.

Lately I''ve been seeing a number of gold filigree rings, and I have to say that the combo of filigree + YG + diamond is just stunning!
6.gif
It''s so much easier to pick out the tiny details in the filigree that I tend to miss while looking at WG pieces.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t own any yellow gold jewelry right now, but I''d like to. My wedding set is platinum but I like yellow gold too. My wedding set is all shared-prong diamonds, so since it just looks like all diamonds, I''m hoping I can wear yellow gold rings with it too
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 3:39:25 AM
Author: Galateia

Date: 1/26/2007 7:47:42 PM
Author: Vix
Hey, I''ll say that I am hoping and HOPING yellow gold comes back in...because I loathe it on ME! Just rotten on my skin tone, although rose gold is bearable.

And because it looks so bad on me I do have a harder time appreciating its beauty; that''s quite silly of me but there ya go.

So come on back around, YG -- and hopefully a fair number of people will decide to swap out their white metals. I''ll be the one waiting like a vulture to snap up secondhand WG/plat pieces.

Ooo! *drools over Vix''s avatar*
18.gif
. Do you have any larger images of your avatar ring, so that I can add it to my sparkie **** collection my rings folder?
31.gif

As for the lemon pie, as far as I know it is invoked out bring a light note into a discussion that is turning heated.

Differences of opinion are inevitable on any forum, and it can be difficult (for me, being the tactless but well-intentional gal that I am) to avoid stepping on anyone''s toes. There are always going to be people who don''t agree with you, after all, and it can be hard to avoid feeling hurt or offended. I just try to avoid letting that show.

Lately I''ve been seeing a number of gold filigree rings, and I have to say that the combo of filigree + YG + diamond is just stunning!
6.gif
It''s so much easier to pick out the tiny details in the filigree that I tend to miss while looking at WG pieces.
Yeah.... I tend to be pretty situational about debate sorts of issues - even if the debate is what someone said. After years of debate boards on other forums, I''ve learned the art of keeping it about the words and not the person but not everyone differentiates beteween the two. In fact if you''re feeling vulnerable or down the words of another, even if directed at your *words* or some topic can feel like they''re stabbing into the very heart of who you are. But seriously - I don''t know any of you other than here and you don''t know me so any words that might be said to me can''t really be about me but just the persona you perceive online. No matter how annoying I might be to someone the chances of what you experience here matching the reality of who I am isn''t very good anyway LOL Okay so I do talk a lot, but my sense of humor totally is lost in type LOL

And ITA that yellow gold is better for detail - white is better for an overall sense of bling.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
ColorKitty,

If I offended you, I sincerely apologize. It really wasn''t my intention at all. Please don''t leave because of those couple of comments.

It was more of a reaction to people talking about what metals are classy, which look dated, which look like they''re not made for nice jewelry. And it''s not just this thread or things that you wrote; I''ve seen some mild digs in other places. I have a yellow gold engagement ring setting and my wedding band is going to be yellow gold. I don''t care if some people don''t like it for whatever reason. I like it, and that''s what really matters to me. And I think that the important thing is that everyone is happy with the jewelry they have. And I honestly hate lemon pie, but everyone here serves it, so I''ll just eat my chocolate over here by myself. I just haven''t dared to say that I hate lemon pie until now.

And if it makes you feel any better, I''ve thrown a hissy fit or two over how much jewelry is in white gold and platinum. Not because I don''t like it (I love it too!) but because I''m trying to find a couple certain pieces right now in yellow gold and it''s hard. If yellow gold is making a comeback (which I''ve heard, but haven''t honestly haven''t seen in real life), all the better for me!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
The pie was served and I missed it! (I actually prefer chocolate over lemon too!!
11.gif
)

I''ll say that I have heard from many places that yg is coming back, but at the moment it''s not really evident I don''t think...meaning I don''t see a lot of people wearing it yet and it''s not taking over the stores.

I love yellow gold. It looks better on my skin (Irish, freckled, fair skin, auburn hair) but I can also pull off white metals at the same time. It''s just my choice that I prefer yellow gold. I actually wasn''t into white metals at all until I inherited my great grandmother''s ering that I absolutely fell in love with and started wearing as a rhr.

As far as jewelery''s concerned, I don''t care what the trend is. I know what I like and that''s all that matters to me. =)

Jamie~please tell us more about your rose gold band. It''s gorgeous! I''d love to own a few pieces of rose gold but I don''t see it too often at the b&m''s.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My jewelry box is a mixture of the two. My husband has always bought my WG, but my father gave me a very sentimental locket in YG and an aunt gave me a lovely necklace that is YG with a horseshoe that holds a pearl as well as a cocktail ring that is YG w/ pearl clusters and two small rubies. While I don''t love the ring, I do love what it symbolizes (it was a gift to her from her now deceased husband, an uncle that I had a wonderful relationship with and absolutely adored) so I wear them all, but not at the same time!

I''m not a trend follower in general though, so I just wear what i like/love and what suits me and to heck with the rest of it, I don''t have the time or the patience to keep up.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
All I know is my daughter, who''s 24 and very much the white gold/silver lover, has just recently borrowed MY yellow gold plated (!) chunky bracelet, yellow gold hoops, and an antique gold/big gemstone ring for a night out with the girls.
26.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some black hills gold ring and cross and a beautiful gold ruby and diamond ring. I need to start wearing it again!!!

Hey, what does woooooooo mean? Sorry, but you all are using it and I didn''t know what it meant. thxs.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I got it. Is it because you are Wooo bug?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 10:22:56 PM
Author: Skippy123

No one woos like WooBug woos.
9.gif
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2007 12:58:11 AM
Author: Galateia

Date: 1/27/2007 10:22:56 PM
Author: Skippy123

No one woos like WooBug woos.
9.gif
36.gif
Except maybe Ronnie Woo Woo Wickers but you''ld have to be a Cub fan to know that!
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just got back from Vegas and of course I dragged my husband into every high end jewelry store on the strip. Completely out of the blue last night he said, wow, they are certainly showing a lot more jellow gold these days. (Holy cow--he IS paying attention to things!) Anyway, if the happy hubby noticed it must be becoming more prevalent.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, DeeJay that is funny your sweet Hubby noticed!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2007 4:59:10 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
We just got back from Vegas and of course I dragged my husband into every high end jewelry store on the strip. Completely out of the blue last night he said, wow, they are certainly showing a lot more jellow gold these days. (Holy cow--he IS paying attention to things!) Anyway, if the happy hubby noticed it must be becoming more prevalent.
It''s funny that he noticed but more importantly...........did you buy anything???

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it is :) I have wooooo as my hello for years :) heheheheh crazy i suppose!! DeeJay that is too cool. I looked in my US mag. and everyone wearing yellow gold :) woooooooooooooooo

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 5:43:46 PM
Author: Catmom

It''s funny that he noticed but more importantly...........did you buy anything???
LOL That''s what I was thinking.
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2007 8:06:30 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 1/28/2007 5:43:46 PM

Author: Catmom

It's funny that he noticed but more importantly...........did you buy anything???
LOL That's what I was thinking.
9.gif

Ha ha girls! Sadly no... I had a wonderful time in Fred Leighton trying on all of the estate pieces (I did feel slightly bad when I realized that the sales person thought I might actually purchase something and not that I was just playing around--oops!) and Graff was my next favorite place to play, but honestly they have a better selection (on display anyway) at the one in Chicago than they did in Vegas.

There was another place in Bellagio (I think that's where it was--they all kinda blend together after a while... ) where I wanted to try on two things but since the value was over $50K they would have had to lock the doors and do a private showing and I didn't want to put them through that just to satisfy my momentary desire for sparkly amusement.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s is in the Bellagio and they told me I had to do a private showing too. I passed on that.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 8:15:49 PM

There was another place in Bellagio (I think that''s where it was--they all kinda blend together after a while... ) where I wanted to try on two things but since the value was over $50K they would have had to lock the doors and do a private showing and I didn''t want to put them through that just to satisfy my momentary desire for sparkly amusement.
Oh, I understand why you would pass, but I can imagine it was super tempting!

I still see an awful lot of white metal here but I see a lot of yellow gold, too. I don''t think it ever went entirely out of style here. I just love yellow gold, but it is definitely softer than white gold, so if I ever get another pave setting I will stay with white gold rather than yellow. It seems like with the yellow gold there is a lot more channel setting and slightly more contemporary styles.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I went into a jewelry store the other day that was having a close-out sale, and sort of pretended I might actually buy something. Maybe I would have if they'd had a diamond solitaire pendant in yellow gold, but all they had was white gold. The saleslady kept repeating that they didn't stock YG because no one would buy it. Um, hello, I'm 26 years old and I'm telling you to bring me the yellow gold! It's not like I'm "stuck in the 80's" because I was wearing rubber and plastic as my jewelry of choice back then. And two of my coworkers who've gotten married in the last year have had YG.

A friend at work who's in her mid to late 40's just got her (second) husband to give her a belated engagement ring. And she wanted the 80's look, so they went to an estate place and got her a big fat Marquis ring circa 1985.

I can also confirm that the teenagers are wearing fake wedding sets, and they are mostly (fake) yellow gold. I looked down the other day and saw that my 15 year old student was wearing what was basically a poorly made replica of my wedding set. Kind of freaky. She got "engaged" this summer when she was 14.
20.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
In the 80s I worked in jewelery and got a lot of YG which was popular then. But for the last 10 years or so I''ve hardly worn it. Nearly all "nice" jewelery I have purchased has been in WG or platinum. But last year I saved a diamond solitaire pendant picture from this site that was done in YG. It keeps nagging at me saying "buy me, buy me" even though I have a WG pendant that is exactly the same. Here''s the picture.....

FINIZIO PENDANTYG.jpg

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think yellow gold has ever "went out". I DO think that all the yg thick chains, nugget rings and nugget pendants etc have definately been out for a long time. I think this is one reason so many don''t like yellow gold. That stuff WAS ugly, imo. Just because a trend or fad goes out of style, doesn''t mean the metal is out. LORDY, gold is a timeless classic!!! I love yellow and white metals. Who can say that a beautiful diamond would be ugly and out of style in a yellow gold setting with plat prongs? This is, in my opinion not a trend, therefore, will NEVER go out of style. I''ve never saw that disappear, and I look at A LOT of jewelry. Yes, white metals have increased dramatically, and someday, they may not be as popular...but, NEVER will the metal itself be ugly or out of style.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2007 12:10:14 AM
Author: imthepreacherswife
I don''t think yellow gold has ever ''went out''. I DO think that all the yg thick chains, nugget rings and nugget pendants etc have definately been out for a long time. I think this is one reason so many don''t like yellow gold. That stuff WAS ugly, imo. Just because a trend or fad goes out of style, doesn''t mean the metal is out. LORDY, gold is a timeless classic!!! I love yellow and white metals. Who can say that a beautiful diamond would be ugly and out of style in a yellow gold setting with plat prongs? This is, in my opinion not a trend, therefore, will NEVER go out of style. I''ve never saw that disappear, and I look at A LOT of jewelry. Yes, white metals have increased dramatically, and someday, they may not be as popular...but, NEVER will the metal itself be ugly or out of style.
I wholeheartedly agree. Well said, preacherswife.
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love yellow and white gold and I always wear them together. My friend makes jewelry and I have several of her mixed chain necklaces that have silver and gold chain in them. I wear those as kind of a background for my many different simpler necklaces.

Lately I''ve been wearing a yellow gold anchor charm on a super dainty yellow gold chain and a yellow gold italian horn charm on a slightly chunkier rolo chain. I wear a white gold 5 stone right hand ring and a stainless steel watch every day, and mix up my necklaces, but I''m usually always wearing yellow gold, white gold and silver. And stainless steel for the watch!
26.gif

Oh-and I''m going to get a white gold engagement ring custom made...I agree with whoever said they love the slightly yellow gold look of white gold vs. platinum. I do too! I''m just not into the super "metal" look that platinum gets when it hasn''t just been polished.

I''m pretty into fashion (it''s actually my full time job) but I don''t usually go crazy for trends unless I like them. And I think that should go for jewelry as well...don''t get it if you don''t like it because you''re the one who wears it!

togal

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think there''s any question that yellow gold jewellery is very very popular. Today I browsed through Tiffany and Birks on my lunch hour. Tiffany has at least half of their collection in yellow gold. I love the Roberto Coin collection (at Birks), which is again, primarily all done in yellow gold, same with the Tony Cavelti collection. I also noticed when browsing the net that David Yurman and Judith Ripka use primarily 18K yellow gold.

Yellow gold has been in style since the days of Cleopatra, so I don''t see it going away anytime soon. It''s my personal favorite, particularly in the more sleek modern styles. I think it looks rich and classy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2007 4:32:16 PM
Author: togal
Yellow gold has been in style since the days of Cleopatra, so I don''t see it going away anytime soon. It''s my personal favorite, particularly in the more sleek modern styles. I think it looks rich and classy!
I love yellow gold charm bracelets. They are one classic piece of jewelry that I have never tired of seeing in yellow gold. I love to look at old charm bracelets that are on sale on eBay, too. I started charm bracelets for both my daughter and myself, but ours cannot (yet) compare to some of the heavily laden bracelets sold on eBay!

Deb
34.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
just a little eavesdropping... I was in Joe Escobar today... and I heard the sales assistant saying ''Yellow gold is coming back in....'' talking to a guy looking for a e-ring...he was saying his gf liked white and he liked yellow...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 8:51:36 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 1/31/2007 4:32:16 PM
Author: togal
I love yellow gold charm bracelets. They are one classic piece of jewelry that I have never tired of seeing in yellow gold. I love to look at old charm bracelets that are on sale on eBay, too. I started charm bracelets for both my daughter and myself, but ours cannot (yet) compare to some of the heavily laden bracelets sold on eBay!

Deb
34.gif
my bracelet I wear daily is a charm bracelet with the charms removed... my mom bought it in europe in the mid 60''s and got some wonderful charms from around europe and she removed them many years ago because some were being too worn - for example, a LOVELY pair of gold holland clogs that had porcelin?? painted white and blue little windmills... and that is almost entirely worn off... she has a little miniature berlin wall... and various other things... well rather I have these things now but I wouldn''t put them back on the bracelet. I wear it every day because it makes me feel closer to her... I''ll have to check them out on ebay!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2007 11:53:09 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

my bracelet I wear daily is a charm bracelet with the charms removed... my mom bought it in europe in the mid 60''s and got some wonderful charms from around europe and she removed them many years ago because some were being too worn - for example, a LOVELY pair of gold holland clogs that had porcelin?? painted white and blue little windmills... and that is almost entirely worn off... she has a little miniature berlin wall... and various other things... well rather I have these things now but I wouldn''t put them back on the bracelet. I wear it every day because it makes me feel closer to her... I''ll have to check them out on ebay!!
Is the reason you do not wear charms on it that you do not want to put on charms of your own or that you do not like the 1950''s teenager look of a charm bracelet? Margaret Maron wrote a Deborah Knott mystery that featured charm bracelets. I love her books.

At any rate, I would adore the Delft clogs!

Deb
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 12:16:14 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 2/3/2007 11:53:09 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Is the reason you do not wear charms on it that you do not want to put on charms of your own or that you do not like the 1950''s teenager look of a charm bracelet? Margaret Maron wrote a Deborah Knott mystery that featured charm bracelets. I love her books.

At any rate, I would adore the Delft clogs!

Deb
34.gif
oh I actually hadn''t thought of putting NEW charms on it hahaha!!! What I would really like to put on it though are diamond charms hahaha - little bezel set danglies like the ones in dbty? Different sizes, different lengths... hehehe :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results