shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold popularity coming back ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
This is soo fun :) I have to say that I am loving all of my yellow gold stuff again but I just got my hubby to start shopping for white gold. He never liked and now has been trying to buy me white gold or platinum.... and I am going backwards...hehehehehe.... I wish I could just change with my mood :) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 5:56:50 PM
Author: AGBF
The high karat gold is high end. Hip hop stars like Gwen Stefani and many movie stars wear designer 24K gold jewelry. Visit Gurhan''s site to see the women stars featured in magazines draped in his jewelry! I agree, though, that it is not for every day...yet.
Anything not worn as an "every day" piece qualifies as fashion jewelry in my book... so what I said still stands (and what the stars wear even in their wedding sets still qualifies as "fashion jewelry" as fast as they change them--believe me, I''m assistant to a director who lives in the hollywood hills, and his wife (an actress) has changed her wedding set twice in the past year--once to YG because "honey, it''s back in!" and the second time back to platinum because YG was apparently "out" once again-ha!
20.gif
)

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Love it :) Isn''t that funny. They have jewelry for everyday, event, season, etc. Look at Posh..... everytime I see a photo she is wearing a different ring on the ring finger :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 9:37:29 PM
Author: colorkitty

I find your comments offensive - you can enjoy something without tearing down something else.

I''m sorry you feel that way. I''m not tearing anything down. All I''m saying is that while I''m happy that yellow gold is coming back for its fans, it saddens me that white golds might go out of fashion and look ''tacky'' or ''dated,'' because that''s all that I have and what I enjoy. Because, let''s face it, no one wants to spend thousands of dollars on a piece to have it fall into past-tense category a few years later. Just like I''m sure some yellow gold fans were saddened when they went into a jewelry store and saw white, white, white, or how some marquise lovers lament its decline. I hate that skinny jeans are back in, too. Of course I want the things I love to stay fashionable and desirable. I don''t think that''s offensive.

And I mean, come on. This is a board where I *regularly* read about how diamonds the size of mine are too small, how other members couldn''t even consider something as small as twice to four times the size of mine, and how small diamonds aren''t impressive, won''t make a statement, ect. I don''t take offense at that because it''s a matter of personal taste. I thought it would be okay if I hated the look of yellow gold (on me and in the case, on some skin tones I think it looks good). Sorry if I was off the mark.

added: I shouldn''t have used the word hideous. It was meant to convey how most women my age I''ve encountered feel about yellow gold as to bolster my surprise that it could be coming back. I didn''t mean to suggest that I think it''s hideous. I don''t like the look, but I wouldn''t go that far. I apologize about that.

more added: I''m also jealous that you yellow lovers can get great looks that you love for less than I have to pay for platinum! Now, could all you fashion-foward ladies please get the powers that be to get rose gold to go mainstream? Rose gold looks great with yellow and white metals and I think we can all love it together.
1.gif
colorkitty - I don''t know how old you are, but one thing you can look forward to, hopefully, is a lack of concern about what others think about trivial things. It''s one thing if people are outright offensive, and it is another if they simply disagree.

I got married with yellow gold and was not bothered in the least when platinum took the stage in the mid 90''s. And no one and I mean NO ONE ever told me there was something wrong with my wedding band or even eyed it funny. I had people say they loved their platinum rings, and that''s great! There are trends, yes. There are also preferences. Preference should always trump trend. If you prefer one over the other, then that''s just the way it is and it matters not what may be in style. The only time style and trends can make you feel badly about your choice is if you believe more in what others think than in what you think. I for one don''t care if I spend thousands of dollars on something I *love* and whether it has the "right" metal or not... that''s ridiculous!! I''m having my diamond set in white metal because that''s what I want for it. Has nothing to do with trends or what is in fashion. In fact when it comes to wedding jewelry I think fads and trends and fashion should be totally disregarded. If you get something unique enough or basic enough it will always hold its own - but when you choose trends to define you don''t be surprised if you have to reinvent yourself frequently.

you can "hate" yellow gold all you want - that''s your opinion... but it''s good to preface opinions with "I think" rather than just making statements as though they are fact. Same as with the diamond size issue which you say doesn''t bother you but you''ve brought up here... "I think" that asscher cut diamonds don''t really come into their potential until they''re larger sizes. Opinion. that doesn''t mean I think they''re ugly when they''re small. I''m happy for you that you got your ring, and I''m even more happy for you that it is exactly what you wanted. I do worry that you will come to be dissatisfied with it in time if you continue to place so much emphasis on trends.

As for being jealous over cost, they have wonderful new white gold alloys out there that don''t need plating. Platinum is a choice and it costs more. Nothing to be jealous over.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 8:42:30 PM

Cehrabehra,
I remember, back in high school (in the late 1960''s), feeling that yellow gold jewelry was the truly ''classy'' look ;-).

Deb
34.gif
My step grandmother had a plat ring from way back that I used to covet in the early 80''s/late 70''s and I always told myself I wanted a platinum ring when I married.... and back in 91 I looked for one and couldn''t find them anywhere. I could have special ordered one for $2000 (for a band) but we''re talking $2000 in 1991 money and I couldn''t afford that LOL Yellow gold kinda irritated me but ONLY because (and I really think this was its downfall LMAO) of nugget jewelry... LOL IMO nothing classy about that! lol

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 3:03:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
nugget jewelry... IMO nothing classy about that! lol

I find your comment offensive!
11.gif
And I''d say as much if my mouth wasn''t completely crammed full o'' a spankin'' new 24K gold nugget grill.
3.gif
22.gif

Who you callin'' not classy!
27.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Hey, how can you say this ain''t classy!
31.gif

rcjewels_1934_8989062.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Date: 1/23/2007 8:42:30 PM

Cehrabehra,
I remember, back in high school (in the late 1960's), feeling that yellow gold jewelry was the truly 'classy' look ;-).

Deb
34.gif
My step grandmother had a plat ring from way back that I used to covet in the early 80's/late 70's and I always told myself I wanted a platinum ring when I married.... and back in 91 I looked for one and couldn't find them anywhere. I could have special ordered one for $2000 (for a band) but we're talking $2000 in 1991 money and I couldn't afford that LOL Yellow gold kinda irritated me but ONLY because (and I really think this was its downfall LMAO) of nugget jewelry... LOL IMO nothing classy about that! lol

This debate has me ROTFL. Sorry, I'll try to straighten up now.

I can remember when the shank split on my mother's 1950 platinum engagement ring. Late '60s or early '70s. She could find absolutely nobody within 200 miles who could or would work in platinum! She finally had to reset it in WG just to be able to wear it.

Also, I searched far and wide for a vintage style platinum setting for my e-ring from 1992 to 1994. Back then all that was available in platinum was the plain Janes, like 4 or 6-prong Tiffany with bland shank or your choice. There wasn't even a patterned or textured shank to be found in ready-mades. I then studied the jewelry ads in the British bridal magazines and I like the way they mixed diamonds and colored gemstones. Then I had the jeweler make me a vintage style setting consisting of Stuller WG illusion head, YG Stuller step shank, with a north-south marquise shaped ruby and a little white RB on either side of it. The wedding band was rubies and princess diamonds, channel set. Believe me, I had people in 4 states grabbing my hand, saying "Where idid you get that RING!!" There was just nothing like that at the time. And it was only a 3/4ct G VVS RB, LOL.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 4:18:15 PM
Author: decodelighted

nugget jewelry... IMO nothing classy about that! lol

I find your comment offensive!
11.gif
And I''d say as much if my mouth wasn''t completely crammed full o'' a spankin'' new 24K gold nugget grill.
3.gif
22.gif

Who you callin'' not classy!
27.gif
hey now!!! I didn''t say nugget jewelry wasn''t classy I said IN MY OPINION it isn''t hahaha - there''s a difference even I can see at my most egocentric ;-) but I''m not gonna be rippin'' on your grill hehehe

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 4:27:04 PM
Author: Catmom
9.gif
Hey, how can you say this ain''t classy!
31.gif
it is- but ONLY because of the double row of pave ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 6:51:19 PM
Author: AdaBeta27

Also, I searched far and wide for a vintage style platinum setting for my e-ring from 1992 to 1994. Back then all that was available in platinum was the plain Janes, like 4 or 6-prong Tiffany with bland shank or your choice. There wasn''t even a patterned or textured shank to be found in ready-mades. I then studied the jewelry ads in the British bridal magazines and I like the way they mixed diamonds and colored gemstones. Then I had the jeweler make me a vintage style setting consisting of Stuller WG illusion head, YG Stuller step shank, with a north-south marquise shaped ruby and a little white RB on either side of it. The wedding band was rubies and princess diamonds, channel set. Believe me, I had people in 4 states grabbing my hand, saying ''Where idid you get that RING!!'' There was just nothing like that at the time. And it was only a 3/4ct G VVS RB, LOL.
do you have pics? so it was round white/marq ruby/round white/marq ruby/round white? I don''t think you''d find a lot like it NOW either!!! I love truly unique things :)

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My family solves this fashion trend phase problem by never remodeling nor throwing anything out. If it's outdated style, somebody just puts it in the S/D box until that look coveted once again. Some things take a while to become hot again. That's why we have wills, LOL. '20s lavalier that was my grandmother's. It's green, rose, and yellow, all at the same time. I am certain that sometime, somewhere, somebody said "I will not be seen wearing that old thing."
9.gif

I have a pet theory that the fashion houses periodically send their spotters to investigate what's in the thrift stores. Then, after the stores are no longer getting any donations of say, platform shoes or bell bottom jeans, they wait 12 to 36 months and, if it's really still dead, they start planning it's comeback.

lava4.jpg

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 4:09:46 PM
Date: 1/22/2007 3:53:29 PM

Author: angeline

I hope this isn''t a side-track/hi-jack ... but what about with diamonds? People seem to say that the yg will make the diamond seem yellow. Do you think that is true? I perfer yg on my skin and do hope it is coming back into fashion so I don''t have to feel behind the times!

a
no, I have a channel set yellow gold band and IMO the diamonds pop on yellow gold.... on white gold it all just kinda blends in together.... on yellow gold the stones really pop out and look blazing white. I don''t know that I''d make the same assumption for cushion, emerald, asscher but for rounds, definitely.

I have noticed this too, Cehra; I find that white gold on multistone rings sort of look like Nicole Kidman''s e-ring to me, that my impression is ''wad o'' bling... no, metal... no, bling... no, metal?''. I still really love the simple, elegant look of a WG solitaire e-ring, but I find that in rings with a lot of diamonds in it that the diamond get a bit lost in the shuffle for me. Obviously a lot depends on the style of ring, but personally I prefer emphasis to be on the diamond itself.

That being said, I am absolutely a fan of WG prongs for a YG ring. Sometimes I find that ''frozen spit'' diamonds in YG can look a bit costume-y (hey, for all I know they might not even be real diamonds) but with WG prongs it registers in my brain as ''serious jewellery''. But that''s just me.

I''ll be going with yellow gold because it looks better on my skin, and that I''ve always preferred wedding bands in yellow gold. I think it''s all about finding what works best for you, and trends be damned.

I''d love to try on some rose gold pieces and see how that works with my skin tone.

lilypad

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 2:56:00 PM

Date: 1/23/2007 9:37:29 PM
Author: colorkitty

I find your comments offensive - you can enjoy something without tearing down something else.

I''m sorry you feel that way. I''m not tearing anything down. All I''m saying is that while I''m happy that yellow gold is coming back for its fans, it saddens me that white golds might go out of fashion and look ''tacky'' or ''dated,'' because that''s all that I have and what I enjoy. Because, let''s face it, no one wants to spend thousands of dollars on a piece to have it fall into past-tense category a few years later. Just like I''m sure some yellow gold fans were saddened when they went into a jewelry store and saw white, white, white, or how some marquise lovers lament its decline. I hate that skinny jeans are back in, too. Of course I want the things I love to stay fashionable and desirable. I don''t think that''s offensive.

And I mean, come on. This is a board where I *regularly* read about how diamonds the size of mine are too small, how other members couldn''t even consider something as small as twice to four times the size of mine, and how small diamonds aren''t impressive, won''t make a statement, ect. I don''t take offense at that because it''s a matter of personal taste. I thought it would be okay if I hated the look of yellow gold (on me and in the case, on some skin tones I think it looks good). Sorry if I was off the mark.

added: I shouldn''t have used the word hideous. It was meant to convey how most women my age I''ve encountered feel about yellow gold as to bolster my surprise that it could be coming back. I didn''t mean to suggest that I think it''s hideous. I don''t like the look, but I wouldn''t go that far. I apologize about that.

more added: I''m also jealous that you yellow lovers can get great looks that you love for less than I have to pay for platinum! Now, could all you fashion-foward ladies please get the powers that be to get rose gold to go mainstream? Rose gold looks great with yellow and white metals and I think we can all love it together.
1.gif
colorkitty - I don''t know how old you are, but one thing you can look forward to, hopefully, is a lack of concern about what others think about trivial things. It''s one thing if people are outright offensive, and it is another if they simply disagree.

I got married with yellow gold and was not bothered in the least when platinum took the stage in the mid 90''s. And no one and I mean NO ONE ever told me there was something wrong with my wedding band or even eyed it funny. I had people say they loved their platinum rings, and that''s great! There are trends, yes. There are also preferences. Preference should always trump trend. If you prefer one over the other, then that''s just the way it is and it matters not what may be in style. The only time style and trends can make you feel badly about your choice is if you believe more in what others think than in what you think. I for one don''t care if I spend thousands of dollars on something I *love* and whether it has the ''right'' metal or not... that''s ridiculous!! I''m having my diamond set in white metal because that''s what I want for it. Has nothing to do with trends or what is in fashion. In fact when it comes to wedding jewelry I think fads and trends and fashion should be totally disregarded. If you get something unique enough or basic enough it will always hold its own - but when you choose trends to define you don''t be surprised if you have to reinvent yourself frequently.

you can ''hate'' yellow gold all you want - that''s your opinion... but it''s good to preface opinions with ''I think'' rather than just making statements as though they are fact. Same as with the diamond size issue which you say doesn''t bother you but you''ve brought up here... ''I think'' that asscher cut diamonds don''t really come into their potential until they''re larger sizes. Opinion. that doesn''t mean I think they''re ugly when they''re small. I''m happy for you that you got your ring, and I''m even more happy for you that it is exactly what you wanted. I do worry that you will come to be dissatisfied with it in time if you continue to place so much emphasis on trends.

As for being jealous over cost, they have wonderful new white gold alloys out there that don''t need plating. Platinum is a choice and it costs more. Nothing to be jealous over.
Huh. Maybe colorkitty wasn''t tactful in her initial response, but your above response seems to have taken the debate to the next level in terms of being a highly personal attack, the likes of which are not usually seen here. For someone who implies her own maturity and claims to be immune to trends and to what others think of her jewelry, you certainly have taken the time to draft a mean-spirited post. I wonder why you''d bother.

I have read this board at weekly for the past year and have never seen a response like this.
38.gif

susi

Shiny_Rock
Yellow gold, white gold, platinum....is influenced by fashion as well as availability. During WW II platinum was needed for defense purposes and was hard for the consumerr to find. Advertising also creates desire.....for one or the other. Stores will carry what they think they can sell.....stars will borrow and wear certain pieces to create desire for them.

I've seen platinum come and go, and come again, I've seen white gold "in" and then "out" I've seen yellow gold "out" and then "in" Just be patient, live long enough and you'll see it all in and out again and again.

Just wear what you like, is my feeling. It's all just lovely
emsmile.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Look, Cehra, all I can say is this:

1) I apologized for offending and will again. I also admitted, and will again, that I was wrong to use the word hideous, and I have already tried to explain that I don't think it's hideous. Whether that apology or explanation is enough, I don't know.

2) Everything I've said here has been my opinion, and I don't think I've tired to pass anything off as fact. I apologize if I gave that impression. I did use the term "I think" in many sentences, but not all because I trust that PSers know it's my opinion.

3) Do a search on the word tacky. While I never called yellow gold tacky, but others on PS have. It's really not the biggest deal. Words like tacky and ugly have been used to describe 80s jewel fashions all the time-- even in this thread. Where's the indignation on behalf of all the cluster ring lovers who might be offended? Regardless of whether someone takes the time to type out "I think," when someone says a certain style is tacky, or ugly, or beautiful, I think we can all assume it's their opinion.

4) I think your posts have contained at least one, probably two, personal digs at me. I'm not offended. However, I am surprised, because this is a debate over METAL. I don't think the situation warrants it.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is coming back... but only in certain places. Back in my hometown there is a LOT more gold. But out here where I live everything is still platinum and white gold. The thing that I wish I saw more was rose gold. I love rose gold! I have this neat leaf necklace that is rose gold and yellow gold that I love! It''s very dainty and delicate. That the best thing about yellow gold, to me at least. You can work with it so that the piece is VERY thin. I got a necklace from my MIL in gold and it''s extremely thin and almost looks like gold lace. It kind of blends in with my skin tone, but not enough to be invisible... plus it sparkles! One of my favorite pieces actually. Kind of a side question: I have heard that the gold in the UK is of higher quality (or something) and therefore has a deeper color rather than a yellow color. Just wondering if that''s true.

*M*

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well dammit, WHERE is that lemon pie? This thread needs some LEMON PIE!

What about gold shoes? Are YG shoes out?
9.gif

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I mentioned that my bf gave me a rose gold eternity band earlier. Looks like a few of you like the rose gold , too. I must get out my camera and take some pics!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:56:07 PM
Author: jamiesorr
I mentioned that my bf gave me a rose gold eternity band earlier. Looks like a few of you like the rose gold , too. I must get out my camera and take some pics!
Yay pictures! And in rose gold, no less!

*M*

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:43:26 PM
Author: monarch64

9.gif

TG and I have a fine line of super-crust lemon pies available if you are interested...
2.gif

I actually quite like metallic shoes, especially in little ballet flats or strappy heels.

And yes, the world needs more rose gold pics!
36.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
ooh oooh can I throw gasoline on the fire? I agree with the poster who posted her gramma''s necklace. I have some yg pieces that I can never part with, they hang out in my jewelry box and come out to play from time to time . The gorgeous link bracelet my aunt gave me for HS graduation in 1988. The other one I got for college graduation (much...lol) later, its lyres (muscial instruments) strung together..MY sorority AXO, had the lyre as our symbol. The yg &diamond J hoops I bought as a "oHappy Mother''s day Gift to me when I was single, lonely, and sleep deprived due to my new beagle puppy. The Yg greek "key" ring (very trendy) that I bought as a "Just cuz I''m single doesn''t mean I can''t buy myself something to celebrate a big job promotion".

I have a few pieces of costume jewelry (antiqued looking Liz Palacios or David Aubrey necklaces) that look better with YG, and my other pieces come out when I wear those (except the Key Ring, its too.....not ready yet. LOL). I always wear a two tone watch so I can tie in my wg e-ring.

I want YG hoops.

I went and saw The Holiday today and both Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz had on yellow gold jewelry. Rings, necklaces, bangles. It was glorious. It made me want to get some delicate gold chains with briolette cut gemstones dropping from them. Cammies ring in that flick is to...die...for....

Also, Jennifer Aniston in the Breakup was all about the YG.

So I''ll just keep my yg pieces in my box, and rotate them in and out as my fancy changes. (and my fancy changes often, I''ma libra after all)

I LOVE my stepmom''s ering. Classic YG. I''ll try and take a pic tomorrow, its lovely, truly lovely, and I''d wear it!

Can I just have it all? A jewelry wardrobe? If I ever have a daughter, she''ll love me!

I wear WG 90% of the time, and my e-ring being WG kind of makes that the reason. But I see the really deep golds my Indian friends bring back from trips to India and its so awe-inspiring. They really use a lot of yellow and its so exotic, I love it!

later..

diver...diving for gold

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I still think that you can love BOTH yellow and white. If it''s jewelry and it''s gorgeous, I WANT it! Hee hee.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:43:26 PM
Author: monarch64

9.gif
I HAVE gold sandals!

Did anyone see the E! special on who are the richest women in entertainment? They said that Mariah Carey gets 24kt yellow gold SPRAY-ON TANS!!!!!!!!!
22.gif
22.gif

Date: 1/25/2007 1:42:41 AM
Author: Cind11
I still think that you can love BOTH yellow and white. If it's jewelry and it's gorgeous, I WANT it! Hee hee.
DEFinitely. I have a chunky square YG locket, it makes me feel like I'm in a period film when I wear it. Very classy (NOT tacky!!!!!!!)
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just HAD to.
9.gif
35.gif

pie5.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: taken from lemonharangue.blogspot.com

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooooo, ok, I went to a couple of jewerly stores last night and they said YG GOLD is BACK :) However, they said that is will take 3-5 years to see everyone (young) to start buying it in wedding jewelry.... I love love love Sienna millers ring Now if that was in white gold you wouldn''t even notice the setting. Like I said earlier... I have a wonderful platinum set that has a nice 1.61 rb in it but the bagguetts blend so much people always think it is just metal
7.gif
booo hoo Once they get close they alway go WOW but nothing like my yellow gold set that people would grab my hand and go WOW with same stones :)

12937.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Also, just had this done to my wide yellow gold band in white the diamonds would really blend but they really pop in yellow

2623.jpg

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Here is the rose gold eternity band the bf gave me for Christmas.

This is as close as I could get. For some reason the camera is focusing on the shine of the gold and not the diamonds
7.gif
I also can''t get too close or it will not focus. Maybe my macro isn''t made for bling pics
7.gif
7.gif
7.gif
I will have to work on it.

rose eternity2.JPG

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Here is another ring I have. I inherited it from my mother. It is 18kt yellow gold with 22 G-H VS1 RBs.

mom channel1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results