shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this top quality blue sapphire??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Wow, so much passion about gemstones here..I love it! Anyway, here is the official photo from Pala.

my sapphire 15684 crop.jpg

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Lol.. I''m laughing at my pathetic photography skills..

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okey dokey - that's clearer!
2.gif

Well, the cut is not ideal (but I think you know that?). However, the colour doesn't appear to be lost (in the vendor's photo) in the centre of the gem. Does ithe colour weaken in the centre of the gemstone IRL? If it does, I would think you may be able to disguise it in a good setting but I would definitely look for an open (prong set) setting but with a patterned basket underneath to capture the colour and reflect it back up through the stone.

The colour of the gem in the vendor's photo is lovely and I can see why you'd be drawn to it. How do you feel about the gem overall? I guess the crucial question is does the cut bother you or are you concentrating on the colour when you look at it?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For that colour, I would be forgiving where cut is concerned and I think that LD has good advice on minimising any issues.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, do you know what the country of origin is of that stone? Sometimes that also affects price, even though we discuss color here quite a bit.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi PC,

Very nice blue on your sapphire! (& it''s untreated huh
2.gif
) Dunno much about "Top quality" untreated sapphire but I think the color is awesome. Congrats on ur purchase!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the vendor photo is showing what I''m seeing in that photo I cropped.

If you love it, that''s all that matters.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Is it the best example of a blue sapphire I''ve ever seen...no. But it''s a really beautiful stone, better than probably 90% (if not more) of those that I''ve seen, and with such a color, the precision of cutting wouldn''t really bother me. I don''t think it would darken too much once set, unless you opt for some sort of a bezel, that may turn out to be a bit too much - but I could be wrong, cause this is based on a few photos only.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor’s picture shows a much better coloured sapphire although it shows some minor cutting issues. For something of that colour, size and lack of treatment, I’d forgive the native cutting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 10:22:36 AM
Author: Chrono
The vendor’s picture shows a much better coloured sapphire although it shows some minor cutting issues. For something of that colour, size and lack of treatment, I’d forgive the native cutting.
me, too!

i was having trouble seeing a window in the original photos....and i hate windows. i''d forgive a tilt window that wasn''t too noticeable for this stone. i''m betting Pala has adjusted price to reflect what this stone is......great but not perfect. geez, think of the price per carat were it cut better!!!!???

mz

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cut notwithstanding--I thought the color was gorgeous.

cheers--Sharon

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Yes, I figured the cut to be it''s weak point..but I decided on picking color over a perfectly cut stone. Something had to give if I were to afford it ;-) The pictures I took are the ''worst case scenario'' on when I thought the stone did not look it''s very best which is in very few situations. The origin is Madagascar which also helps the price a bit and I personally don''t put origin over results anyway. Great idea LD on the setting, I''ll probably look at that once I decide who should make a custom ring for this. Any suggestions that won''t charge crazy $$ ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends if you prefer a hand made piece or you don’t mind a custom cast (CAD) setting.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 1:40:14 PM
Author: porkcrackers
Yes, I figured the cut to be it''s weak point..but I decided on picking color over a perfectly cut stone. Something had to give if I were to afford it ;-) The pictures I took are the ''worst case scenario'' on when I thought the stone did not look it''s very best which is in very few situations. The origin is Madagascar which also helps the price a bit and I personally don''t put origin over results anyway. Great idea LD on the setting, I''ll probably look at that once I decide who should make a custom ring for this. Any suggestions that won''t charge crazy $$ ?

My fiance''s stone is from Madagascar and we love it! I''ve read that Madagascar stones tend to look similar to Sri Lanka stones since the two land masses were connected at some point in the point. I couldn''t say whether that''s true or not though.

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
I don''t mind a CAD piece as long as it doesn''t look like it came from TV.. I''ve never made a ''custom'' ring before-besides materials,do they charge for the project, by the hour, etc.?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure there must be an hourly calculation done at some point but my quotes have either been either a) "X amount for the setting plus Y amount for diamonds" or b) X amount for everything. Option b) usually applies when it''s an already made setting but I want it made a bit differently (my stone is a different shape, etc.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than materials, there’s a labour cost which is estimated as the time and effort needed to complete the work. It’s usually a lump sum that is not broken down. I have personally had custom work done by www.whiteflash.com and am happy with the price and workmanship. Another often used custom CAD vendor is www.briangavindiamonds.com who I’ve gotten quotes from but not chosen them because they have not been as cost competitive and I had communication issues with them. Still, there are many PSers who are very satisfied with their pricing and work. If you check out both links, you’ll see examples of projects they have completed which do not have that “cheap” look. In terms of hand made, I’ve heard good things about Ocean Pearlman and Hannah Maytal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results