shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this top quality blue sapphire??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Can I get opinions on this blue sapphire from Pala? It is unheated, untreated 2.45ct. cushion at 7.9x6.32x4.84. Any opinions on how dark this may get in a setting, cut quality, color quality etc. Of course my picture taking leaves some to be desired, but it may give a ''real'' idea of this stone to you. I tried to do a little different lighting and angles. Any feedback would be helpful as this will be a big purchase. Many thanks,

sap3062.jpg

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Finally.. thanks for any opinions you can provide.

sap3063.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the photos, that does not appear to be top quality blue sapphire, but it does appear to be good quality color, although the color in the last photo isn't as nice as the first two. I'm talking strictly based on the photos, we do not have any lab report with color evaluation to judge, like an AGL report. It would also be important to see the sapphire in various lighting conditions, such as sunlight, fluorescent and incandescent to help judge if it retains it's color well.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the color. The cut isnt very good though. Has a large window. For pala prices, I expect a perfect cut stone, but I am wierd about getting 150% for my money. 'Top' color is very subjective IMO, and I hate seeing that term used in sales. Some may think a cornflower blue is top or a deep midnight blue is top.

I think the color would be fine in a setting, but I would stick with prongs.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 7:40:57 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
From the photos, that does not appear to be top quality blue sapphire, but it does appear to be good quality color, although the color in the last photo isn''t as nice as the first two. I''m talking strictly based on the photos, we do not have any lab report with color evaluation to judge, like an AGL report. It would also be important to see the sapphire in various lighting conditions, such as sunlight, fluorescent and incandescent to help judge if it retains it''s color well.

TL, what is top quality? I never saw one except in heated stones.
I think it would look nice in a halo diamond setting.
Totally agree re. Pala prices. They are at the B&M level, and many of their stones have native cut. But you can select from many stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 8:18:50 PM
Author: crasru

From the photos, that does not appear to be top quality blue sapphire, but it does appear to be good quality color, although the color in the last photo isn't as nice as the first two. I'm talking strictly based on the photos, we do not have any lab report with color evaluation to judge, like an AGL report. It would also be important to see the sapphire in various lighting conditions, such as sunlight, fluorescent and incandescent to help judge if it retains it's color well.

Totally agree re. Pala prices. They are at the B&M level, and many of their stones have native cut. But you can select from many stones.
As Rockhugger said, top color is subjective, but here is a photo against white and dark backgrounds of an extremely fine quality sapphire. A very fine color would be not too light, nor too dark, medium to medium dark in tone, with as strong a blue saturation as possible, perhaps something like a GIA gem set color of B 5/6. That is just my example, and others may beg to differ on the tone, but the vivid saturation is something that is very important in grading color quality. Kashmir sapphires, some of the best colored sapphires in the world, are often untreated, as to leave in the silk inclusions that give them a special glow, such as this stone I'm posting here.

kashmircushionsapphire.JPG

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
as long as you love the colour, that is what counts.
its a very nice blue

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
"The cut isnt very good though. Has a large window"

Is it possible to have a window even though the proportions of the cut are good? The culet is centered well too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Angles and depth are what determine whether there is a window or not.

ETA: I think you can do better for the price.

ETAA: And perhaps it's just because it's a sapphire, but from the dimensions you posted, as well as the pictures, I would bet that the belly is fat and that's where it's holding a lot of it's carat weight. It seems to face up small for it's size.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 10:02:52 PM
Author: porkcrackers
''The cut isnt very good though. Has a large window''

Is it possible to have a window even though the proportions of the cut are good? The culet is centered well too.
Depth causes the window. Usually a shallow cut, or a belly. Your stone is a little shallow as many fine stones are, because the cutters cut to weight, and face up size.
A window doesnt ruin a stone IMO. If you love it then a window isnt a big deal (although I know some here HATE windows). I have many stones that have windows and kept them because I love them! You can have a window ''close'' per say by setting it right.

porkcrackers

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies so far. What would be a price range per ct. that this stone would/should sell for?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 8:43:25 PM

Date: 3/21/2010 8:18:50 PM
Author: crasru

From the photos, that does not appear to be top quality blue sapphire, but it does appear to be good quality color, although the color in the last photo isn''t as nice as the first two. I''m talking strictly based on the photos, we do not have any lab report with color evaluation to judge, like an AGL report. It would also be important to see the sapphire in various lighting conditions, such as sunlight, fluorescent and incandescent to help judge if it retains it''s color well.

As Rockhugger said, top color is subjective, but here is a photo against white and dark backgrounds of an extremely fine quality sapphire. A very fine color would be not too light, nor too dark, medium to medium dark in tone, with as strong a blue saturation as possible, perhaps something like a GIA gem set color of B 5/6. That is just my example, and others may beg to differ on the tone, but the vivid saturation is something that is very important in grading color quality. Kashmir sapphires, some of the best colored sapphires in the world, are often untreated, as to leave in the silk inclusions that give them a special glow, such as this stone I''m posting here.
Is this also from Pala? They have nice Kashmirs. But their prices...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 11:44:00 PM
Author: FrekeChild

ETAA: And perhaps it''s just because it''s a sapphire, but from the dimensions you posted, as well as the pictures, I would bet that the belly is fat and that''s where it''s holding a lot of it''s carat weight. It seems to face up small for it''s size.

Is the price in this thread?
33.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 3:00:57 AM
Author: IndyLady
Date: 3/21/2010 11:44:00 PM

ETAA: And perhaps it''s just because it''s a sapphire, but from the dimensions you posted, as well as the pictures, I would bet that the belly is fat and that''s where it''s holding a lot of it''s carat weight. It seems to face up small for it''s size.
Is the price in this thread?
33.gif
No. I''m assuming that this stone cost a pretty penny considering the title of the thread and the questions in the OP--but particularly this line:

Any feedback would be helpful as this will be a big purchase.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top quality sapphires, depending on the size, can cost tens of thousands per carat, so again, because the OP is asking the question, "is this a top quality blue sapphire?" the price would be a giveaway, even from Pala. I have heard that top quality Kashmirs can cost around $65K/ct, and I read this years ago. Again, top color is subjective, but 99.999999% of sapphires you see are not top color, and the ones that are, are typically from old jewelry and are sold at auction to millionaires at places like Christies or Sothebys. Perhaps Pala can get one in occasionally, but I haven''t seen one on their site for a while. Someone correct me if I''m wrong.

However, you can find very excellent quality color sapphires, and if you can stand to live with it not being "top of the top," there''s more options open to you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a Tino Hammid photo of a Kashmir that was in a book by Modern Jeweler author, David Federman. I think this stone was several tens of thousands per carat if I recall properly. Not the best photo, but you can see the silky velvet blue that this origin is known for. I don''t believe they are mining these anymore.

kashmir_tino_hammid.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, that seems to be a very fine blue sapphire. The lighting under which the pictures were taken is obviously very directional, seeming to be coming into a darker room through a window. Directional lighting, while being closer to how you will be seeing the stone in reality, can also make things,like windowing, much more apparent than they would otherwise be. It''s kind of difficult in these pictures to see how much the stone is tilted, making it hard to tell if you are looking at a window or a tilt window, (the difference between the two being the difference between not so well cut and well cut). Take some pictures outside on a cloudy day or even later in the day to get a better picture of the stone. Comparing this stone to a Kashmir sapphire is really not fair, as the Kashmir sapphires shown are probably in the $50,000 per carat range and the stone you''re showing is at least ten or twenty times less per carat.

I think that one needs to look at not just color and cut, but cost per carat when comparing stones. A really fine parti colored sapphire from Australia may cost $400 per carat while a Kashmir sapphire is 100 times more per carat. Both look great for what they are. Their cost needs to be taken into account when viewing them and making decisions about buying. If you don''t do this, people start getting the impression that they can get museum quality stones for a pittance, (if they just wait and look long enough), setting them up to be taken advantage of.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Michael is right..can''t tell oif it''s windowed or not due to the tilt of the stone..that is just a tilt window you are seeing

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Porkcrackers (just love that name!)

Can you post the vendor''s photo if there is one. It might help evaluate the cut.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks to me like the first picture is taken from just about straight on, and I see a medium sized window.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the dimensions in your first post, it doesn't appear that your Sapphire is too shallow so I suspect we're seeing a tilt window although your first photo suggests one.

You asked is this a top quality blue sapphire? The answer is that it's not top quality but being realistic unless you have a phenomenal budget it's not going to be. Is it a lovely sapphire? Yes, it looks to be. However, you've taken photos in one lighting only. How does it look in natural daylight etc? Sapphires can look very different and it's important to really give them a good test drives in all lighting conditions.

The most important issue is how do you feel about it? Does it make you go weak at the knees when you look at it? Are you carrying it around and looking at it all the time? If so, and it's a price that you're comfortable then it doesn't matter what we think. The most important judge is you.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I think it''s a very fine blue sapphire.

Also looks like a tilt window to me - I''d want to see a shot looking face down through the table before I said it was a window.

I own a few stones from Pala and they were worth what I paid. IIRC, the blue kashmir cushion pictured costs a tad under $$$ 6 figures...

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree - the colour is gorgeous - the cut seems less ideal

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With superb colour, I can live with a small window but from your picture, because the stone is resting on the culet, I''m guessing that what I''m seeing is a tilt window. It may not be precision cut but it looks to be decently cut. In terms of colour, no, it is not the top top blue sapphire but it IS still a very fine blue. I presume it comes with a reputable lab memo stating that it is unheated? Since it is a very expensive purchase, have you had a independant appraiser the likes of Richard Sherwood have a look at the stone for his professional opinion?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So am I the only one seeing this?

(Image 1 cropped and blown up. Sorry about the pixelation.)

Sapphire window or not.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re. the stone (not the Kashmir). This may not be a "top-quality" (although top-quality, like "museum-quality" is very flexible and imprecise) but in my mind, it is a fine sapphire.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 10:23:40 PM
So am I the only one seeing this?

(Image 1 cropped and blown up. Sorry about the pixelation.)
The stone is not face on, it looks like a tilt window to me in that shot.

Best thing to do is give Pala (or the dealer you got it through) a call and ask them for an honest opinion - they want you to love the stone too. If it''s not EXACTLY what you want, ask if there is anything similar with your ''list of desirables'' in their stock.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
I do not consider that picture “face on” for 2 reasons: it is angled to the right and also tilted slightly backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results