shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this model pretty to you?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2 said:
kenny-I said it before and I'll say it again since you didn't respond to my first post. If those serious issues are what you wanted to discuss, you should have started a topic about them. I'd love to have a conversation about how appearance affects both men and women in the workplace, dating world, etc.. I'd love to talk about the obesity epidemic, the pressure on young girls to conform to a beauty ideal that most people won't ever attain naturally, etc.

That said, posting a photo of a super tall, super thin girl wearing a corset and asking if she was pretty is about as far as you can get from starting an intelligent conversation on "appearanceism." Based on your original post, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that starting a dialogue about "appearanceism" was your motive.

I have to agree with t2t

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
You have to be in the group to have a thought or hold a discussion about it.

Imagine if only black people could point out slavery was wrong.

I'm sorry. What does that mean?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
LtlFirecracker said:
I think people get upset about this thread because an individual is being judged.

You are very smart and also very insightful. I think you hit the nail on the head, LtlFirecracker.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Thank you so much.

BTW, I have read this entire thread. I got knots in my stomach after reading about you and your daughter. I am so sorry you are having to deal with that.

Kaleigh, I feel for you and your brother. I think your story illustrates the point I was trying to make. When a topic is presented in a manner that brings up bad memories for people, they are going to get emotional and defensive (I sure did in an earlier post). It is hard to have an intelligent discussion with strong emotions involved.

BEG - You made a lot of good points in your thread.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Since when is it inappropriate to discuss the appearance of models, individual or otherwise? :errrr:

Are models not dropping dead because they're not eating, or did I imagine that?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny said:
Since when is it inappropriate to discuss the appearance of models, individual or otherwise? :errrr:

Are models not dropping dead because they're not eating, or did I imagine that?

That might be a good topic for a thread as thing2 suggested several times, Danny.

Deb/AGBF

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
agreed with above.

Also - Monarch, just to clarify, I was mainly going on mass media as to who girls look up to :wink2: . Personally I look up to women who are healthy, and who make their own happiness.

I do think that this particular thread with this particular woman was probably sparked by how much was being made out of it by the general public and the media. Which again, we had the same thing happen when the Ralph Lauren ads came out.I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it, but I do think a topic on models and the fashion industry would make for some good discussion.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeez Kenny, you set us up. :nono: I thought this was about the ANTM show, and how it was promoting something that appeared to be unhealthy for shock value to get more viewers to watch. That's what I think that whole segment was a about. Then there was the apology by Tyra adding more drama to get more viewers. You showed us a pic of a woman who really is out there to be judged by America, not someone off the street, or from any non-celebrity source. Some of our responses would therefore seem out of context. I don't think Tyra should exploit someone like this, or at least she should have recommended a wardrobe change (I didn't know that was a corset!), but no, she wanted shock value and that's what she got. In subsequently released videos, this girl only looks thin, not so gaunt btw.

Appearance-ism, definitely out there in the real world of non-celebs. Definitely unfavourable for women who can be both too pretty and not pretty enough, too young looking, too old looking, too thin, too fat, too ethnic, and every other thing based on looks. I don't see this happening to men. Perhaps really attractive guys get better jobs, faster promotions, get taken seriously? Pfft.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
agreed with above.

Also - Monarch, just to clarify, I was mainly going on mass media as to who girls look up to :wink2: . Personally I look up to women who are healthy, and who make their own happiness.

I do think that this particular thread with this particular woman was probably sparked by how much was being made out of it by the general public and the media. Which again, we had the same thing happen when the Ralph Lauren ads came out.I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it, but I do think a topic on models and the fashion industry would make for some good discussion.

You know I'd LOVE to see some data on girls looking up to people on MTV. Really? Isn't that giving girls too little credit? I think most young women are smart enough to realize those aren't the best role models.

And if they really do look up to MTV reality show stars, then body image issues are the least of their problems.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Seeing most young girls today (appearances and how they act) they do seem to be following terrible role models. I know this is just an opinion and based on what I've seen. There were less terrible role models when I was younger and I was smart enough to realize they were terrible role models. I don't think young girls today think about appearances or how to act or are taught to analyze/think about things and whether they should follow the role models, etc. It's sad.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg no. I like CURVY women. You know, the kind that like, have a normal human body?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
HappyNewLife said:
omg no. I like CURVY women. You know, the kind that like, have a normal human body?

And yet another measured, intelligent response, kenny! Thanks so much for starting this dialogue. :appl:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
HappyNewLife said:

Wow. As a stick thin girl, who most certainly does not starve herself, I have no words. So I will go and take my abnormal body and eat some cake.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm kinda chunky BEG but can I have some too? Is it jello cake?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2 said:
HappyNewLife said:

And yet another measured, intelligent response, kenny! Thanks so much for starting this dialogue. :appl:

Rather than to carry this thread even farther afield, I think I am going to start a new one based on some thoughts that this thread has engendered. Since there is already one thread that claims its origins in this thread, I can only comment that this thread is apparently very fertile ground!

I will try to identify my thread as being the second one spawned by this thread when I get it launched!

Deb/AGBF

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
I'm kinda chunky BEG but can I have some too? Is it jello cake?

Of course you can! German chocolate? :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh heck yeah-what's not to love about chocolate! I love cake! Will there be Boston Creme Pie too? Cake is good with pudding or jello in it. I don't know why. Cake is just good.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Oh heck yeah-what's not to love about chocolate! I love cake! Will there be Boston Creme Pie too? Cake is good with pudding or jello in it. I don't know why. Cake is just good.

I agree! And some cheesecake too? I've never tried cake with jello in it! I will have to soon!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love some cake but I have to starve myself to stay skinny so I can be like the girls on The Hills. :(( I guess I'll just smoke 2 cigarettes in a row and eat a cotton ball instead.

:devil:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing, just be chunky like me and eat cake. Cake is way better than a cotton ball.

BEG, jello cake is so good! It's just regular cake and then you make holes in it and pour jello on the cake. It soaks in. Then you put some sort of whipped creme frosting on top. And then you eat it all b/c it's so squishy and good.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Time for cake. My treat... :)) Or PIE...

This thread can go round and round..

I don't think anything was solved. Perhaps there were some that get other's perspectives...

I just hate all the judging...

But that's just me...

I can agree to disagree, and love that PS allows me to do so. ::)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Thing, just be chunky like me and eat cake. Cake is way better than a cotton ball.

BEG, jello cake is so good! It's just regular cake and then you make holes in it and pour jello on the cake. It soaks in. Then you put some sort of whipped creme frosting on top. And then you eat it all b/c it's so squishy and good.

I don't know, packrat...it's like Kate Moss says-"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!" :tongue: But if I *have* to have some, I'd like a giant piece of vanilla tres leche cake. Kthanxbai!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well TBH my cholesterol and general well being tell me it's time to start laying off the cake if I'd like to stick around and see my kids grow up. I believe my coworker called me a walking heart attack. I don't think I'm *that* bad off for heaven's sake, but I don't want to take chances so I'm dieting and going to start an exercise program. I'd like my "back in the day" muscle definition back, so I'll look at it as "nothing tastes as good as being lean, healthy and in kick ass shape feels"!

I will however be going around the table with my fork to sample everyone's cake.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Just wandered back into this thread while enjoying a carton of Häagen-Dazs Amaretto and Almond ice cream... heaven.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Well TBH my cholesterol and general well being tell me it's time to start laying off the cake if I'd like to stick around and see my kids grow up. I believe my coworker called me a walking heart attack. I don't think I'm *that* bad off for heaven's sake, but I don't want to take chances so I'm dieting and going to start an exercise program. I'd like my "back in the day" muscle definition back, so I'll look at it as "nothing tastes as good as being lean, healthy and in kick a$$ shape feels"!

I will however be going around the table with my fork to sample everyone's cake.

That wasn't very nice of him/her! :( But definitely good to keep track of your health and take precautions :)

I think my top three favorite cakes are: red velvet, black and white chocolate mousse (from the amazing Austrian bakery in Chicago), and those white cakes with glazed fruit just HEAPED on top of the icing that you get from Korean bakeries (with strawberry slices in the cream layers!) Yum.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did someone say, "cake"? I remember those days! I mailed a few out to Pricescopers who talked a lot!!!

AGBF

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I will take a slice, with some ice cream :cheeky:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G. said:
packrat said:

I've never tried cake with jello in it! I will have to soon!

Start a new thread. I want the recipe.

AGBF

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Well TBH my cholesterol and general well being tell me it's time to start laying off the cake if I'd like to stick around and see my kids grow up. I believe my coworker called me a walking heart attack. I don't think I'm *that* bad off for heaven's sake, but I don't want to take chances so I'm dieting and going to start an exercise program. I'd like my "back in the day" muscle definition back, so I'll look at it as "nothing tastes as good as being lean, healthy and in kick a$$ shape feels"!

Heh, packrat, that's actually a true story-nothing tastes better than good health feels. I am naturally thin but when I exercise regularly I feel awesome. I have so much more energy and I'm really just more productive. I recently started a new training program and I'm starting to look as buff as I did in high school! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results