shape
carat
color
clarity

Is There No Snowstorm Thread Yet?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We actually might see some sun tomorrow in the afternoon! It's been five (?) days of no sun and I am yearning for sunshine pretty please. But not complaining as we have had no snow for a few days now so woohoo and may that continue.

Our sun-less walk today.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 2.46.03 PM.png

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS still has power, but the water’s off. They had a propane leak on Friday, he noticed it when he was walking the dog. Apparently the communal tank lost about half the propane. They’ve had problems getting it refilled due to the bad weather. They did get a delivery yesterday to top it up for 5 days, but it’s so cold there (Tx) that everyone was asked to turn their heating down to make it last. They were also told to stay home, but people didn’t, went out, had accidents and blocked access for the propane tanker to get back in to top up the tanks. They did fill up their baths and water canisters in anticipation of the pipes freezing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps im missed a few days
you guys still doing ok Missy ?

It is 50F right now...talk about crazy weather. Raining at the moment and snow predicted Thursday and next Monday. The winter that keeps on giving..but 50 degrees F this minute. :shock:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 5.59.35 AM.png

DS still has power, but the water’s off. They had a propane leak on Friday, he noticed it when he was walking the dog. Apparently the communal tank lost about half the propane. They’ve had problems getting it refilled due to the bad weather. They did get a delivery yesterday to top it up for 5 days, but it’s so cold there (Tx) that everyone was asked to turn their heating down to make it last. They were also told to stay home, but people didn’t, went out, had accidents and blocked access for the propane tanker to get back in to top up the tanks. They did fill up their baths and water canisters in anticipation of the pipes freezing.

I am glad your son still has power at least and hope the situation keeps improving so the water gets turned back on soon. It's lucky he noticed the propane leak. I cannot believe how cold it is in Texas.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am truly a Texas girl. I can't handle this! I came to Arkansas on Thursday to sign papers for some land we are buying. I am completely stuck here. The mountain is totally iced over with about 6 inches of snow on top of the ice, temps are negative! I have no chance of getting out before the weekend. Luckily we have solar backup power at our cabin and I have plenty of supplies. Just trying to enjoy the solitude but getting cabin fever! 20210216_085528.jpg

Attachments

• 20210215_075848.jpg
    20210215_075848.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 7

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Gussie! Thank goodness you are safe and sound. I’m sure those icy mountain roads were treacherous. Your view is spectacular though! The picture your dad took in Galveston is insane! :shock:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS has no heat and no water now. Seems like some people haven’t turned their heating down, and they’ve used up the propane. The truck that was coming to top up the tanks, has gone off the road. DS thinks they might not have any heat or water for a week, everything’s in chaos there.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS has no heat and no water now. Seems like some people haven’t turned their heating down, and they’ve used up the propane. The truck that was coming to top up the tanks, has gone off the road. DS thinks they might not have any heat or water for a week, everything’s in chaos there.

Oh no @Austina, so sorry to hear this, I've been thinking about your DS and I really hope he gets heat and water back soon.

Very sorry for everyone dealing with the brutal weather and outages in Texas right now. What a mess. Please take care everyone.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
We’re in TX (near Bryan/College Station) and our power just came back on after being off for 18 hours, that was supposedly part of a rolling blackout. We have two fireplaces and it was still only 55 in our house last night/this morning, 3 degrees outside. We have some frozen pipes and frozen/busted pool equipment :x2

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS‘s friend lost power at 2am yesterday, and still isn’t back on @Txborn79, he’s taken to chopping up anything wooden to keep some heat in the house.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re in TX (near Bryan/College Station) and our power just came back on after being off for 18 hours, that was supposedly part of a rolling blackout. We have two fireplaces and it was still only 55 in our house last night/this morning, 3 degrees outside. We have some frozen pipes and frozen/busted pool equipment :x2
oh man..... so sorry to hear that!

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
DS‘s friend lost power at 2am yesterday, and still isn’t back on @Txborn79, he’s taken to chopping up anything wooden to keep some heat in the house.

Oh no! Luckily my husband loves running the fireplace so when he knew it was supposed to get cold, he stopped on his way in from work last Thursday and got a pallet full.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@junebug17 , I agree with your sentiments.

While I do not like the cold temps and snow; I live where "we" are, at least, accustomed and therefore "prepared" for it.

I am praying for SAFETY for the good folks who were blindsided by this brutal and unusual weather. Please know if I could anything for you folks, I would.

@Gussie that photo your Dad took was surreal.

kind regards, Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My great-nephew is in Dallas. They got eight inches of snow. By a fluke his house, part of a development, has power. His partner, a physician, cannot come back home from work at the hospital at night though because it is too far to travel on foot and vehicles cannot move on the streets. It was three degrees then nine degrees when he and I spoke on the phone. He lived in Boston for 13 years so he knows cold and snow, but he says the streets cannot be plowed there due to a variety of reasons including that there are no plows and that there are reflectors in the roads. He also said that no one knows how to drive in the snow and that the cars there, except for the trucks, cannot make it in the snow.

My heart is breaking for the people who are freezing and trying to stay warm in their cars and by burning wood in barrels outdoors. This is a national emergency.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Gussie That picture of Galveston!! Crazy!! Your view though is beautiful nonetheless.
Sorry @Austina your son is out of power and water!! Unbelievable and maddening!
In the NE US we have had our fair share of power-killing storms and it’s the absolute pits! We’ve been out for days at a time. Everyone has to own a generator here!! We are supposed to get another 5-10 here tomorrow.
Sending warm wishes to all those in TX.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And it is coming down fast and furious here. Wow. It's super pretty but also a little bit scary.

I hope our Texas friends are doing A OK and all who lost power have it back now.

Stay safe everyone. This winter doesn't want to let go.

snow.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.01.02 AM.png

Sending warm wishes to all.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
We have downed power lines now because of the ice from yesterday so we’ve been without power again since yesterday morning at 10:30. Our water also got cut off last night at 7pm until further notice :(2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have downed power lines now because of the ice from yesterday so we’ve been without power again since yesterday morning at 10:30. Our water also got cut off last night at 7pm until further notice :(2

Ugh I am so sorry. :( Sending you lots of good wishes and warm hugs. Hope the situation resolves soon and you can stay warm and safe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope our Texas PSers will be able to stay warm and safe. We are getting a second dump on top of the first that never melted. But we are ok here as we are prepared for such weather.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy! Luckily we are in a better position than a lot of people. We have a generator, fireplaces (plenty of firewood for now) and a pool we can pull water from to flush toilets, etc.

Glad to hear this. Having power (and water) goes a long way!
I hear a warm up is coming your way so hang in there everyone. It’s no fun not having heat in the winter. Warm ((((hugs)))).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results