shape
carat
color
clarity

Is There No Snowstorm Thread Yet?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually someone has started a thread about a snowstorm by now when one is expected in the Northeast. Is there one? Did I miss it? Is it snowing yet where you are?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No thread yet that I have noticed. We are due to get a lot here, February making a grand entrance for 2021.

Let’s just hope we don’t lose power!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBEA778D-02CD-4281-B780-693FF09D0E8A.jpeg 042EAD2F-6C96-45A7-BE8D-BB03EA87F1CB.jpeg

Northern Illinois this morning!

Big hairy dog loves it. Little skinny dog (not pictured here LOL) doesn't even want to go out again until spring!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
BBEA778D-02CD-4281-B780-693FF09D0E8A.jpeg 042EAD2F-6C96-45A7-BE8D-BB03EA87F1CB.jpeg

Northern Illinois this morning!

Big hairy dog loves it. Little skinny dog (not pictured here LOL) doesn't even want to go out again until spring!

Whats funny is how freaked out they get over it these days.
Winter storm warnings blah blah blah.
When I was growing up we would call what we had a ordinary day and everything would be open.
When I was growing up the superintendent of schools would get up to let his dog out.
If she ran outside there was school that day, if she refused to go out it was a snow day. We had very few snow days.
Whats funny also is on average cars are much better on snow now also.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read yesterday 100 million of you have snow ?
That's almost 1/3 of you (my favourite people)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually someone has started a thread about a snowstorm by now when one is expected in the Northeast. Is there one? Did I miss it? Is it snowing yet where you are?

We are in blizzard conditions at the Jersey Shore. Heavy snow, high winds and coastal flooding.

The snow started yesterday at noon here about 5 hours earlier than predicted. It looked relatively calm when it first started.

The sea had iced over the day before due to our freezing temps for over three to four days prior.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 1.19.16 PM.png

Snow started lightly at noon yesterday.
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.41.19 AM.png

We took a few pics ten minutes ago. Due to the strong winds we couldn't get good photos as we had to close the terrace door. But here's what we were able to get.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.59.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.00.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.59.13 AM.png

The prediction is up to 2 feet of snow by tomorrow when the storm is supposed to end. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers we don't lose power.

Sending everyone affected lots of good luck vibes and stay warm and cozy and safe. First pandemic blizzard ever in our lifetime. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are in blizzard conditions at the Jersey Shore. Heavy snow, high winds and coastal flooding.

The snow started yesterday at noon here about 5 hours earlier than predicted. It looked relatively calm when it first started.

The sea had iced over the day before due to our freezing temps for over three to four days prior.

We took a few pics ten minutes ago. Due to the strong winds we couldn't get good photos as we had to close the terrace door. But here's what we were able to get.

The prediction is up to 2 feet of snow by tomorrow when the storm is supposed to end. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers we don't lose power.

Sending everyone affected lots of good luck vibes and stay warm and cozy and safe. First pandemic blizzard ever in our lifetime. :)

Thank you forthe beautiful photos, missy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you forthe beautiful photos, missy!

Thanks Deb! The snow is picking up quite briskly here now. And the winds are getting stronger. I am not a fan of these long lasting Nor'easters. I prefer the wham bam thank you ma'am bye bye storms that come and go within a few hours. These 48 hour plus storms just are over the top if you kwim. :/

That cream/white band (that looks a bit like sand) is ice on the ocean.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.12.45 AM.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got 9 inches. Three times running the snowblower.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
School is cancel here due to the snow. Snow starts on Saturday night and pilling up so fast. Sunday was snowing in the morning and raining at noon and snowing again on the afternoon til night. My DH shoveled the snow at 6pm Sunday and its already piling up again. He has a snow blower but never use it :cry2:

my DD had fun on Sunday 125730AF-67A9-42D3-9AB8-4CBC2193651B.jpeg

view from my window on Sunday 2am
845C4CFA-08CE-496E-8D35-203CB0A70B46.jpeg

Still a snowing a little bit today... just a little
C6D1407C-8D12-48B4-9D68-ACA4A00B5FCF.jpeg 1F2BD794-3B34-4A9C-B424-9AA199113316.jpeg

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be safe everyone. I won't lie, I'm not missing that crap...lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am right there with you. I wouldn't miss this either. It's scary here now. Winds howling, snow fiercely blowing, white out conditions and the ocean is seemingly at hide tide crashing into our deck. And all I can think is please please please let's not lose power. It's too cold outside not to have heat. :pray:

blizzardjan2021.jpeg

munchee

Brilliant_Rock

Last year we didn’t get any and kinda miss it actually :lol: I think if we got snowstorm for 1-2x a season and normal snow for 1-5x is perfect actually. before 2015 it was kinda too much to the point we feel like enough already. Global warming is real, winter 2015-2017 was really warm here, to the point I didn’t got to wear my winter coats. 2018 is colder but not as cold as before 2015. And 2019 we only got 1 day of light snow. So we kinda glad that we got good snow this year so kids can sled.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am right there with you. I wouldn't miss this either. It's scary here now. Winds howling, snow fiercely blowing, white out conditions and the ocean is seemingly at hide tide crashing into our deck. And all I can think is please please please let's not lose power. It's too cold outside not to have heat. :pray:

blizzardjan2021.jpeg

I remember when we lost electric in a particularly bad winter storm in 2015 in Massachusetts. No electric for 3 days and so much heavy wet snow it looked bluish. We did OK because thankfully we had a fireplace and the stove was gas, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Of course the next year we were totally outties from the NE.

I'm hopeful you guys keep electric going up there.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I remember when we lost electric in a particularly bad winter storm in 2015 in Massachusetts. No electric for 3 days and so much heavy wet snow it looked bluish. We did OK because thankfully we had a fireplace and the stove was gas, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Of course the next year we were totally outties from the NE.

I'm hopeful you guys keep electric going up there.

Woww.. yea outage is not fun at all!!!! Thank God we never have outage due to snowstorm... where I live was never a center of the Storm, but we usually got a little bit from here and there. If Chicago have bad snowstorm, we got a lil bit of it, not as bad as Chicago. If Toronto got snowstorm, we also got a lil bit of it, but not bad as them. If NY/MA areas got bad snowstorm, we also got a lil bit of it. So if they got 1 Big snowstorm in a year, we probably got 3 heavy snow days, but all not as bad as them :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Stay safe and stay warm folks! Praying for no power outages!

Last week in So Cal, we had a "Winter Storm" with a few hard days of rainfall. with "freezing" conditions of mid 40's during the day, so I can totally relate!!!! (sarcasm).

Actually, I took the family up to the local mountains during winter break and we just happened to go during a snowstorm where we got about 10" of snow in one night, and we we went ziplining the next day. My kids (18, 16) said they have never experienced such cold in their lives, and never care to experience it again. I think the coldest it got was maybe 27 degrees F, but that was enough snow experience for them!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
In Maine it's just a Nor'Easter. It should hit tonight. We're happy about it because we've only really had one good storm that dropped 30in and not the steady fall we should have. Generator is ready and the snow blower is waiting in the barn, just in case.
There should be snowpack. There's only a dusting on the ground. That's just wrong. It's also been too warm generally this winter. Can't be a winter wonderland without snow.
Ooh, it was -5 the other night with a feels like of -10. That's the coldest I've noticed.
This Friday they say it'll get all the way up to 40F.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have about a foot, probably more, here in the NYC suburbs. Already shoveled once (hey, it is good exercise) and now waiting for DH to get home to run that snow blower.
It’s practically a white out here.
999047A3-4E32-4D11-AB75-3492098334E4.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

blizzardjan2021.jpeg

Stay safe, missy!

Hugs,
Deb

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 1.19.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.41.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.59.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.00.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.59.13 AM.png

Are the ferrals ok ?
I know cats are actually pretty good at keeping warm but its the kind of weather that makes me wish they were all lap kitties

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the ferrals ok ?
I know cats are actually pretty good at keeping warm but its the kind of weather that makes me wish they were all lap kitties

Some of them are OK, thanks for asking Daisy. Not sure about all of them though. I do wish we could have taken them all inside. My parents leave their garage door open for their ferals during inclement weather but we don't have a garage unfortunately.

Greg went through the camera video and he saw a few of our ferals eating overnight. He kept the feeder open overnight instead of closing it (because of the raccoons) and I am glad he did since some of the cats were eating. He is going out as soon as it becomes lighter (it's pitch black here still) and shoveling a path for the kitties to get to the feeder more easily. We have a lot of snow here and it's coming down a bit still.

I won't let Greg shovel our driveway/property but for the path for the ferals as he promised he would take it slowly. I don't want his stitches popping.

I wish I could find someone to shovel our property but I have a feeling it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. We need to be shoveled out by tomorrow afternoon as we have an early morning doctor appointment in the city we have to get to Thursday but I will worry about that later.

It won’t stop!! But we do have power so that’s a relief!
9EA68880-C089-4423-BEF8-589D3A410B3E.jpeg

Yasss to power. Same here. So far. Still pretty darn windy out so we are not in the clear but we made it through yesterday and hope everyone else dealing with the storm has their electricity too.

Stay safe, missy!

Hugs,
Deb

Thanks Deb! You too! How is it by you and how are you and your DD doing?

IDK our totals yet but I am guessing 18" or more? So far...

backyardsnowstormjan2021.JPG

january2021snowstomr.JPG

Stay safe everyone and for those who are enjoying playing outside in the snow have fun!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love the white after a snowstorm. Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. We had 6-7 inches of snow.
20210131_071805.jpg 20210131_071545.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the white after a snowstorm. Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. We had 6-7 inches of snow.
20210131_071805.jpg 20210131_071545.jpg

Oh so beautiful and peaceful there. What a gorgeous snowy scene.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of flooding around our County due to the icy flood waters rising. Very scary all along the Jersey shore due to high tides. Please be careful everyone. If you see high water avoid it on the roadways.

Last significant snowstorm we had was the end of January 2016 so five years ago. We were in Brooklyn so we went out and enjoyed playing in the snow. It was fun!

snowinthepark2016.jpg

And the snowstorm we got over 10 years ago in January 2011
at the shore.

january2011jerseyshoresnow.jpg

The snow is pristine when it first falls and so pretty.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy. We enjoy the back windows! In the spring we see fawns playing in the yard.

20210131_171434.jpg

LOVE that. Beautiful light in your house. I hope the deer are enjoying the snow and are A OK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results