shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any interest in a NC Triangle GTG?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering...

I know there are a few of us in the area - Katiedid and Part Gypsy for sure, maybe some others?

Would you all be interested in meeting up for lunch sometime?

It would be nice to meet you all! (Or since this is NC, I''ll say y''all!)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about a road trip down to Charlotte?
27.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Tacori. Charlotte''s a great spot for a GTG! (And I''m not at all biased)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if you guys are really interested I am open all of June and the second half of August. Hopefully DS will chime in!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 9:49:47 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
27.gif

I may be able to make the trip! I''d love to meet you!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 11:43:55 AM
Author: TanDogMom
Date: 6/13/2008 9:49:47 AM

27.gif

I may be able to make the trip! I''d love to meet you!

Well other CLT locals are MoreMoreMore, DiamondSeeker2006, and I think Diane also lives near here....In the past it''s always just been DS and I (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that J!
9.gif
) but it would be fun to get a group together. Know it''s a drive though. Maybe you would have Andrey change the title just to NC GTG and find out where the majority of people live.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, that would be fun! My schedule is filling up, though. At this point I''d say early August might be better for me.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I could possibly do it--not too early August, though.
1.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this and thought neat! I don''t think I will be going to the Charlotte area, but something in the triangle might be doable.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on when it is I could probably make it! It''s a bit of a hike for me but my sister lives in the Triangle so I could stay with her for the weekend. I would love to finally meet some PSers in real life!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m up for just about any time. I''m supposed to be going to Chicago at some point, but I think that''ll be more July-ish. I can definitely do Charlotte, but I could make it up to the Triangle, too.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
So, it looks like there is some interest in a Charlotte GTG in August (I'll let you Charlotte ladies take care of planning that one!) and a Triangle GTG is another possibility. For Triangle, sounds like me and Part Gypsy are interested, with Princess and Thing2of2 possibly able to make it as well? JustJulia, were you interested in Charlotte or Triangle? I would love to meet all of you!

I'm bumping this thread in case anyone missed it first time around.
Katiedid? You out there?

Anyone want to suggest a weekend and place for the Triangle? My July is pretty busy, but could possibly do it depending on when. I could do the last weekend of June or I think anytime in August.

Maybe we could match up our GTG with one of the gem shows! That would be fun!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I could probably make it up to the Triangle for a GTG, and hit the CLT one. Woohoo. I''m a GTG animal.

I love the idea of matching up the dates with gem shows. I''ve never been to one.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt I will be able to make it to the triangle one. Just far with a baby. But for sure CLT in the second half of Aug! I''ll wear the Tessa ring
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 3:14:12 PM
I doubt I will be able to make it to the triangle one. Just far with a baby. But for sure CLT in the second half of Aug! I''ll wear the Tessa ring
2.gif
Oooh, I can''t wait to see that.

Speaking of Tessa, that''s a beautiful photo!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a great idea, maybe we can all meet at one of the gem or mineral shows at the flea market.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 4:08:37 PM
Author: part gypsy
That''s a great idea, maybe we can all meet at one of the gem or mineral shows at the flea market.

That would be great! Maybe we can get lunch first and then go to the gem show. Do you know how to look up when they are? I couldn''t find it on a quick search. I went to one last year around labor day, but maybe there is one sooner.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I looked up the NC fairgrounds schedule (you have to look it up by month)
looks like there is one
July 4th-6,
and one August 29-31 called Treasures of the Earth.

I''ve actually never gone to the shows before because I couldn''t get anyone interested to go with me.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 12:57:02 PM
OK I looked up the NC fairgrounds schedule (you have to look it up by month)

looks like there is one

July 4th-6,

and one August 29-31 called Treasures of the Earth.

I''ve actually never gone to the shows before because I couldn''t get anyone interested to go with me.

Well cool! I''ve been to two now, and both were a ton of fun! I''d love to go with you (and anyone else who''s interested and available) if you want. I can''t do the 4th weekend, but as far as I know I can do the one in Aug. That is Labor Day weekend. I went to that show last year and it was really good.

I know it''s a long way off, but do you think you can make that one? Any other takers?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I can go in August. It sounds like a lot of fun!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I am doing anything for Aug one, but as it is Labor day I''ll double check with hb
1.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 1:27:11 PM
Author: princesss
I can go in August. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Yay!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 1:33:17 PM
I don''t think I am doing anything for Aug one, but as it is Labor day I''ll double check with hb
1.gif

Me too, I better check with the boy and see if we have plans, but I don''t think we are going anywhere.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be in the Asheville area the weekend of the 28th of this month. I could make it then!
I''m determined to make a GTG one of these days! Maybe this one will be it?
5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ooh. i just mapped it. i think asheville area doesn''t equal triangle area. boo.
BIG sigh.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 2:09:21 PM
Author: jcrow
ooh. i just mapped it. i think asheville area doesn''t equal triangle area. boo.

BIG sigh.

It''s a 3-4 hour drive, but it would have been awesome to meet you! I hope you have a blast in Asheville. It''s one of my favorite weekend getaways! Let me know if you need any recommendations! There was a good article in the NYTimes a while back, you can google it, about what to do for a weekend in Asheville. The Biltmore Estate is definitely worth seeing (they have wine tasting too!)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 2:12:34 PM

BIG sigh.

It''s a 3-4 hour drive, but it would have been awesome to meet you! I hope you have a blast in Asheville. It''s one of my favorite weekend getaways! Let me know if you need any recommendations! There was a good article in the NYTimes a while back, you can google it, about what to do for a weekend in Asheville. The Biltmore Estate is definitely worth seeing (they have wine tasting too!)

i''ll never turn down travel recommendations! so, if you''ve got some, sent them my way
2.gif

we''re definitely seeing the biltmore, other than that we''re open!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
jcrow, you will love Biltmore!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 3:06:07 PM
Date: 6/18/2008 2:12:34 PM

ooh. i just mapped it. i think asheville area doesn't equal triangle area. boo.

BIG sigh.

It's a 3-4 hour drive, but it would have been awesome to meet you! I hope you have a blast in Asheville. It's one of my favorite weekend getaways! Let me know if you need any recommendations! There was a good article in the NYTimes a while back, you can google it, about what to do for a weekend in Asheville. The Biltmore Estate is definitely worth seeing (they have wine tasting too!)

i'll never turn down travel recommendations! so, if you've got some, sent them my way
2.gif

we're definitely seeing the biltmore, other than that we're open!

Well, here is a slideshow and within it the link to the NY Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/09/30/travel/20070930_HOURS_SLIDESHOW_11.html
They should have some great recommendations for you.

How long do you have? If you have two days, here is what I would do - spend one day at the Biltmore, see the house, gardens, winery, and walk the trails. Bring some bottled water and snacks because what they have for sale there is really overpriced. I think there is a 5 star restaurant on the property but I haven't been. There is an excellent Mexican restaurant (casual) in Biltmore Village.

On the other day I would explore downtown Asheville. It's a pretty crunchy, artsy kind of place. You can pop into boutiques and art galleries and easily fill the day. Some good places I've eaten are the Early Girl Eatery, um.... will have to ask DH if he remembers where else is good, I have a horrible memory of names. There were a couple neat antique jewelry stores and one big jewelry store (family owned) that sold a ton of great designer stuff, fun for looking. There was a great coffee and dessert place open late near the Renaissance hotel. There is an old fashioned soda fountain in the Woolworths building (I think). The rest of the building is devoted to local artists. There is a famous chocolate truffle place... the Blue Spiral art gallery is great.... another good jewelry store called Jewels that Dance near Pack square... I'll add more as I think of them!

If you have a third day, I'd plan an outdoor day or canoeing, rafting, kayaking, or hiking in the mountains. I haven't actually done this in Asheville so I can't recommend an outdoor adventure company, but I am sure there are some. The Mast General Store in downtown Asheville is a great store for outdoorsey stuff and could probably recommend trips or may even organize some themselves.

Another thing to do if you have time is the Grove Park Inn. It is a very famous hotel and resort. They have a spa that's supposed to be fantastic. Even if you don't have time for the spa, you can at least get a drink at the hotel bar and sit outside and enjoy the view. They have live music from time to time also.

Do you have your hotel already? My favorite place to stay is the Renaissance. Walk to downtown, very clean and nice, and not too expensive. The Biltmore hotel and the Grove Park Inn are the famous fancy places to stay, and I think there are some nice B&Bs too although I haven't been.

You should get great weather this time of year... I hope it is a wonderful trip! Report back and let me know what you think!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asheville is a very lovely place, I love the mountains. Our friends saying: "it''s where young people go to retire" (you''ll get it when you are there). One time I went because hubby''s band was playing so I we did was be at shows in evening, but remember there are alot of fun shops there as well as alternative and a sushi restaurant.
You can make a day of it at Biltmore. Not only the house, but the grounds are incredible.
Also up there one time for a wedding at yep Grove Park inn.
We''ve also stayed at Lake Junaluska which is not in Asheville but nearby in the mountains.

On a gem related note our friend who used to live there would look at the riverbeds after a big rain and find all sorts of gemstones including a 80 carat chunk of garnet crystals.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results