shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a word that freaks you out, or that you hate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sapphire_Cutie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 6:25:59 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
I don''t want to offend anyone, but I hate it when people say ''waRsh'' instead of ''wash'' or ''Uman'' instead of ''human.'' I also hate it when people imitate Lil'' Jon & say ''Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!'' or that Blue Collar Comedy/redneck stuff & say ''Get ''er Done.'' I think both make the speaker sound unintelligent.
Indy, I am guilty of ''waRsh'' Ive ALWAYS said it.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 6:52:31 PM
Author: Sapphire_Cutie

I don''t want to offend anyone, but I hate it when people say ''waRsh'' instead of ''wash'' or ''Uman'' instead of ''human.'' I also hate it when people imitate Lil'' Jon & say ''Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!'' or that Blue Collar Comedy/redneck stuff & say ''Get ''er Done.'' I think both make the speaker sound unintelligent.
No worries! I''ve found it to be somewhat regional & very familial. I meant that the Lil'' Jon & Redneck stuff sounds unintelligent, not the warsh/uman stuff.
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 6:11:23 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 8/20/2008 4:05:01 PM

Author: Linda W

Glad you finally got it Dancing Fire, tee hee.

Linda
i still don''t get the word ''moist''
33.gif
does mean the female anatomy too?
34.gif

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Another one here for "moist" and "panties". I think it''s funny that so many people not only hate these words, but have discussions about them! My friends and I have a long-running joke concerning these words. Though it''s worse when you put them together- ready?

Moist. Cream. Panties. EWWW.

Also, hate the word SLACKS. Just the way it rolls around in my mouth.

And, I hate to call T-gal out, but she put together two of the most icky words over in either TTC or preggo thread. Apart, words are gross enough, but together, wow, barf-o-rama!!!! However, in context, it''s the funniest word ever! T-gal is one funny lady.

Other word pet peeves: I hate it when people (usually men) say "Oh, she''s so ambitious." Which means she is a b**ch, but they use "ambitious" as a cover. As if that''s a bad thing, to be ambitious!! Really makes me GRRRRR.
29.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The newest lame expression that people are using around our area is "it is what it is". It''s always in reference to a tough situation that someone may be in. I always look at the people who say it and think it''s a really weak and spineless way to look at things. They''re throwing their hands up and saying "it''s crappy but I can accept crappy", instead of becoming pro-active and thinking of a solution.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2008 6:52:31 PM
Author: Sapphire_Cutie

Hee hee! I grew up in WARSHington County! LOL!
9.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"couplethree" is commonly used where I live in place of "a couple" What the heck is a "couplethree"? I have a couple of cookies means I have 2 cookies. If I have a couplethree, does that mean I have 6? Or does it mean you can''t make up your mind how many things you''re talking about? Lol.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 2:01:41 PM
Author: gemgirl
The newest lame expression that people are using around our area is ''it is what it is''. It''s always in reference to a tough situation that someone may be in. I always look at the people who say it and think it''s a really weak and spineless way to look at things. They''re throwing their hands up and saying ''it''s crappy but I can accept crappy'', instead of becoming pro-active and thinking of a solution.
Wow, that''s kind of harsh. lol

That''s not what I think of it as meaning. I used that expression in a thread not all that long ago, and for me it was indicating, there is nothing to do to change the situation. *shrugs*

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 3:11:54 PM
Author: Ellen

The newest lame expression that people are using around our area is ''it is what it is''. It''s always in reference to a tough situation that someone may be in. I always look at the people who say it and think it''s a really weak and spineless way to look at things. They''re throwing their hands up and saying ''it''s crappy but I can accept crappy'', instead of becoming pro-active and thinking of a solution.

That''s not what I think of it as meaning. I used that expression in a thread not all that long ago, and for me it was indicating, there is nothing to do to change the situation. *shrugs*

I agree with Ellen, my DH says that at times also.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I don''t hate words, unless they are hateful or misused (swearing, slander, racial slurs, etc.). I love words.
34.gif
30.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 100px">Date: 8/21/2008 11:41:14 AM
Author: ChinaCat

And, I hate to call T-gal out, but she put together two of the most icky words over in either TTC or preggo thread. Apart, words are gross enough, but together, wow, barf-o-rama!!!! However, in context, it''s the funniest word ever! T-gal is one funny lady.
I know what you''re talking about. I cringed and then laughed...then threw up.
3.gif

One word I really hate is Undergrad. Only because it seems like such an inferior term that undermines everything you''ve done thus far. lol. Excuse me, but I graduated 8th grade, then high school. I remember! I had a cap and gown for both! Then I got an Associates, but am still working on my Bach--which apparently still won''t put me in "grad" status. Sigh. I know it''s silly.

I also hate all the other popular ones. Panties, moist, word shared by a female body part and a cat.....
My friends used to think it was funny to try and use the words as much as possible and make me cringe.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 3:11:54 PM

I''m sorry if that sounded harsh. The three people I have heard use that expression over the past year have all adopted a lame duck attitude when facing something difficult and I believe there''s usually something we can do to change or help things.

The first time I ever heard that expression, if came out of the mouth of a young woman with two small children who was abruptly abandoned by her husband. She was a stay at home Mom and he left her with absolutely nothing. Not a dollar to her name. She depended on the kindness of people in our ministry and people in her parish to drop off food. She depended on friend''s to lend her money. Her life was going down the tubes very quickly by saying "it is what it is", if I lose my house, so be it. After hearing her say that maybe forty or fifty times within a few months, I convinced her to seek legal aid advice, and go after the wayward husband. After five months, she started to get money out of the jerk. She never said "it is what it is" again because every time she (and he) had to go before the judge? The judge sided with her. In her case, she became pro-active and it benefitted her.

My husband''s mother is probably experiencing a recurrence of her cancer (according to her last tests), but because she doesn''t have insurance and is forced to seek help through some clinic, she''s not taken care of the way a cancer patient should be taken care of. My husband said last week, "it is what it is and there''s nothing we can do about it". Huh?? She can take her little self and all of her medical records, get her butt into Manhattan, walk into MSK and ask for help. They can not deny anyone care! Are we really going to throw our hands up and do nothing? If it was my life, I''d fight tooth and nail to get help. I''d find the best doctor with the finest reputation, show him my films, and let him tell me what he thought that black blob on the left lung was.

My best girlfriend also uses that expression when she can''t handle things anymore. Granted, her life has been very hard during the last year, but in her case, when "it is what is it" comes out of her mouth, she sinks into a deeper depression and becomes filled with anxiety. There are definitely things she can do to help herself but she can''t see that at this point.

I''m sorry if I sounded harsh, but there are few things in our lives that we can''t affect with a little effort and some brainstorming. We (my husband and I) have surrounded ourselves with a group of totally pro-active people for the last almost nine years who usually find a way to help someone. It''s not always easy, but we do it. We can''t save someone who has terminal cancer (as one of our Retrou ladies does) and we can''t resurrect the people killed during the 9/11 tragedy, but between this point and those points, there''s a hell of a lot we CAN do.

I still sounded harsh and I''m sorry about that. People''s laziness just gets me crazy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gem, I see what you''re saying. Maybe we should say, there are those that abuse the saying? Your points are valid, but I think sometimes, at some point, it really is, what it is.
2.gif

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 1:43:15 PM
Author: cbs102

Date: 8/19/2008 1:41:18 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Umm... you are NOT alone.

Check out this thread from a couple of days ago:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/inside-the-actors-studio-questions.92708/

I HATE the word panties, and moist. Ugh! I shudder at the thought.
oh elle.. here we go!! hahahah

i HATE MOIST, PANTIES, POOP,PLOP, AND TOOT! UGH I AM GIGGLING AND SHUDDERING AT THE SAME TIME!!
Oh cbs... your words are a combo of the words FI and I hate with a passion. I hate Moist more than any word on earth. I can''t stand to hear it. I''ve gotten over panties somewhat after working at Victoria''s Secret for some time. I tihnk I just kind of laugh inside my head everytime I hear myself say it. And Poop, well, everyone stops mid-word when saying that in front of FI. There just must be something about those words...

jas

Brilliant_Rock
May I add "discharge" to this list? Thank you.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 1:02:42 PM
Author: jas
May I add ''discharge'' to this list? Thank you.

ICK, I hate that word too Jas, along with mucus!!! Blah!!!
14.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 12:48:54 PM
Author: Lioness

Date: 8/19/2008 1:43:15 PM
Author: cbs102

Date: 8/19/2008 1:41:18 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Umm... you are NOT alone.

Check out this thread from a couple of days ago:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/inside-the-actors-studio-questions.92708/

I HATE the word panties, and moist. Ugh! I shudder at the thought.
oh elle.. here we go!! hahahah

i HATE MOIST, PANTIES, POOP,PLOP, AND TOOT! UGH I AM GIGGLING AND SHUDDERING AT THE SAME TIME!!
Oh cbs... your words are a combo of the words FI and I hate with a passion. I hate Moist more than any word on earth. I can''t stand to hear it. I''ve gotten over panties somewhat after working at Victoria''s Secret for some time. I tihnk I just kind of laugh inside my head everytime I hear myself say it. And Poop, well, everyone stops mid-word when saying that in front of FI. There just must be something about those words...
my fiance picks a word a day out of the choice words that i mentioned and he texts me ALL DAMN day... he drives me crazy~

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 10:14:38 AM
gem, I see what you''re saying. Maybe we should say, there are those that abuse the saying? Your points are valid, but I think sometimes, at some point, it really is, what it is.
2.gif
I agree Ellen. I do think some people abuse that saying.

The single word that tends to freak me out at this point? and I think in part, it''s a "New Yawk" thing....... when people use the darned "f" word as an adjective to almost every noun. Guys around these parts have the habit of doing that. I haven''t heard many women say it but I''m sure there probably are some women who do. It started out as a dirty word, but with so much over use, it tends to mean nothing at all. I guess that''s why so many guys use it so freely.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the nigh unto infinite number of people who seem to have a problem with words both clinical and euphemistic, pertaining to body functions or parts, it would seem that the problem is not actually the words themselves but the actual objects or attitudes they point to. Words are, after all, nothing but pointers to "realiity".

So far we don''t like bathroom functions, our chests, lower down in general, anything that comes from a nostril, any word or phrase for for clothing we wear next to the body parts we''re uncomfortable thinking about, and words or phrases that have connotations of ignorance, prejudice, or blasphemy. Did I miss anything?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dickey. I don''t know why. It may be the *only* word I dislike on principle.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 2:51:01 PM
Author: Matata
''couplethree'' is commonly used where I live in place of ''a couple'' What the heck is a ''couplethree''? I have a couple of cookies means I have 2 cookies. If I have a couplethree, does that mean I have 6? Or does it mean you can''t make up your mind how many things you''re talking about? Lol.

Haha! I don''t know about "couplethree", but I find myself saying "couple-few" all the time. My husband teases me about it. I also say "I might could" (like "maybe") sometimes. I don''t know where that came from. I am an educated woman, and an educator myself, so I know it''s not proper English, but I say it anyways. (Plus, it drives my hubby nuts and it makes me giggle
11.gif
)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Ax for asks. The whole Ebonics thing in general. Call me an old white fuddy duddy, but I''m not about to support the concept that poor English becomes acceptable English when it has a new name.

I always feel a little funny over the word engorged. I know it''s supposed to be a good thing
31.gif
, but it just sounds painful
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results