shape
carat
color
clarity

is "stoplight" always bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this old brooch with two rubies - one of them fell out. I brought it to a jeweller to replace and he offered a demantoid (he bought them in the rough and would do the cutting) and a small diamond. I said, OK, then he disappeard for a month (typical for some jewellers, as I came to find out). I called him - and he said the brooch was ready. When I came, he showed me the brooch with the demantoid and the ruby and asked if I really wanted to go ahead with a diamond. I said, no - it looked pretty nice. Now since my camera is green-blind, in reality the demantoid is slightly greener and brighter, and the ruby is more lightly-pink (the camera loves red and orange, like me!). I just wanted to get your opinion since some people mentioned "stoplight effect". It won't work with dark-green and bright-red but with apple-green (peridot or light demantoid) and pink it seems to work well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry forgot the picture

brouch222.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let''s see if another one looks OK

brouch111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too dark...I tried "diffuse light"...too diffuse
Sorry when I take pictures outside they came out too dark...our climate. Inside, they are either too bright or the colors are distorted. Tried to take pictures of my alex in daylight...I see green, I am not hallucinating, but my camera still sees bluish, more or less saturated depending on the light. Seattle! Chrono, where do you live? You advised me to take outdoor pictures and use shade when the sun is too bright. I know you assumed I live in a place with NORMAL light.

brouch333.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Red and green are complimentary colors which look very good together. There are certain shades of red and green that will make a jewelry piece look like Christmas, or like a stoplight. But, a peridot shade of green and a pinker red won''t have the "Christmas effect" and should look lovely.

I''m having a tsavorite cab being put into a pendant which I intend to wear paired with a pendant that has a raspberry garnet cab. I expect the two together to look stunning. (I hope.
9.gif
)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont think it looks like a stop light at all! It looke very pretty!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 4:28:46 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Red and green are complimentary colors which look very good together. There are certain shades of red and green that will make a jewelry piece look like Christmas, or like a stoplight. But, a peridot shade of green and a pinker red won''t have the ''Christmas effect'' and should look lovely.

I''m having a tsavorite cab being put into a pendant which I intend to wear paired with a pendant that has a raspberry garnet cab. I expect the two together to look stunning. (I hope.
9.gif
)

Fly girl,

Hopefully you''ll post your pendants! I, for one, am very much interested in using contrasting colors. Especially if they look stunning.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 4:42:52 PM
Author: RockHugger
I dont think it looks like a stop light at all! It looke very pretty!

Thank you Rock Hugger you are so nice!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That''s definitely pink enough to avoid the stoplight effect. It''s really nice. Plus, I''m loving the rainbow flash you got off the demantoid in your 2nd photo!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It dosen''t look like a stop light to me. Its very pretty and can go with a lot of things.

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 5:02:45 PM
Author: crasru

Red and green are complimentary colors which look very good together. There are certain shades of red and green that will make a jewelry piece look like Christmas, or like a stoplight. But, a peridot shade of green and a pinker red won't have the 'Christmas effect' and should look lovely.

I'm having a tsavorite cab being put into a pendant which I intend to wear paired with a pendant that has a raspberry garnet cab. I expect the two together to look stunning. (I hope.
9.gif
)

Fly girl,

Hopefully you'll post your pendants! I, for one, am very much interested in using contrasting colors. Especially if they look stunning.
Here is a photo of the two cabs. There are some more pictures of the tsavorite buried near the bottom of page 38 in the Catch All thread. Link I expect the new pendant to be ready in about 5 weeks.

TsaRaspPen8483.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 6:00:03 PM
Date: 2/1/2010 5:02:45 PM

Author: crasru

Red and green are complimentary colors which look very good together. There are certain shades of red and green that will make a jewelry piece look like Christmas, or like a stoplight. But, a peridot shade of green and a pinker red won''t have the ''Christmas effect'' and should look lovely.

9.gif
)

Fly girl,

Hopefully you''ll post your pendants! I, for one, am very much interested in using contrasting colors. Especially if they look stunning.
Here is a photo of the two cabs. There are some more pictures of the tsavorite buried near the bottom of page 38 in the Catch All thread. Link I expect the new pendant to be ready in about 5 weeks.

TsaRaspPen8483.JPG

Boy, either you or your jeweller or both of you have excellent taste. Love your cabochons! Love this blackened silver! So unusual - no one will ever have anything similar. I am sure you''ll get many compliments on it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful piece! I don''t think it looks like a stoplight at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece and not a stoplight at all because the hue is a little different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christmas is about stoplight colors and I love Christmas. I also love rubies and emeralds. I, for one, would never run from a "stoplight" effect! I am just sorry that I lost my stunning red spinel with its stoplight red color and have one that is less red in its place!

AGBF
34.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! What happened? Did the spinel fall out of the setting?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/1/2010 9:53:27 PM
Author: Chrono

Oh no! What happened? Did the spinel fall out of the setting?
No. It's a very, long boring story (thoroughly documented in the annals of Pricescope). Pala Gems took it back and gave me a replacement stone when my stoplight red stone turned out to have some kind of unsound structure/fracture. The vendor and the setter blamed each other. Pala replaced the stone. The second stone was nowhere near the red of the first. I didn't complain anymore because no one was to blame. I don't even know where the ring is now. I didn't see it in my safe deposit box the last time I went there. I will have to try to find it!

AGBF
34.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Doesen''t look like a stoplight to me either, it''s a pretty brooch. About getting an accurate shade of color in a photo - try experimenting with different colors of background, maybe it helps (not that I know anything about gem photography, this is just a hunch).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results