shape
carat
color
clarity

is it still legal in your state to talk on the phone while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
as of July 1 it is a
38.gif
in Ca.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but so is cock fighting! And tatooing just became legal here two years ago. Driving on the phone is much more dangerous practice, imo.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is in many of cities here, people are not allowed to speak on the phone while driving, unless they use a hands-free set. I still get behind people talking on the phone without a hands free set.
14.gif
Why? Do you like to drive real slow while talking to your friends and trying to make a turn? hehe
2.gif
In Cali are you allowed a hands free device to talk on the phone?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
In NY it''s illegal. You can use a hands free device and i think most people do.

There''s a country in Europe (Poland I believe) where it''s also illegal to smoke while you drive. Can''t imagine that ever happening here.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In California it''s illegal to smoke in a car if there''s a child in the car.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 8:00:44 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
as of July 1 it is a
38.gif
in Ca.

It''s not illegal here, you just have to be hands-free. Get a bluetooth device, and you can talk all you want.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 8:55:45 PM
Author: MINIMS
I stand corrected, it HAS happened here. wow.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you can still talk on your cell phone in Minnesota, as long as you have had your license for a year. Can''t text anymore, though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i want to see somebody smoke,text and drive a stick shift.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Come to Oklahoma! They also let their kids ride in the back of the pickup truck.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 8:04:02 PM
Author: Upgradable
Yes, but so is cock fighting! And tatooing just became legal here two years ago. Driving on the phone is much more dangerous practice, imo.

14.gif
to cock fighting. I think that is horrible. Those poor roosters. Her in California that is illegal.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, In Calif too, I still see them yakking on the phone. If they get caught, they will be in big trouble.

Linda

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:47:02 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
I drive a stick shift. Using a cell phone while driving can be a challenge. I keep cell phone conversations while driving very infrequent and very short. (As in, either not answering, or "I''m driving, I''ll call you back.") If I need to talk for any length of time, I pull over...which I guess they would like everyone to do. Never have tried smoking....
20.gif

I do know of people who work on their laptop while driving...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 10:55:21 PM
Author: Fly Girl

I drive a stick shift. Using a cell phone while driving can be a challenge. I keep cell phone conversations while driving very infrequent and very short. (As in, either not answering, or ''I''m driving, I''ll call you back.'') If I need to talk for any length of time, I pull over...which I guess they would like everyone to do. Never have tried smoking....
20.gif

I do know of people who work on their laptop while driving...
23.gif
now that is a scary thought!!!

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is not legal in New Jersey I know. Not sure about PA though. Sometimes it is township by township and is decided that way.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not legal in my state. The law was put into place only a short time ago and since then, only two times have I seen a person chatting away. The phone is a secondary offense, though, so the police must find another reason for a person to be pulled over and then if they are talking they get a $124 ticket.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It''s illegal here and they do ticket you, but not nearly enough people get caught in my opinion. I can''t tell you how many times I have nearly been hit by some idiot on their cellphone.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
This is one of my Huge Pet pives!I dont think its illegal in my state(utah)but it should be.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I''m soooo SOL when it is.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton,
Are you from Utah also?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My father was a driver''s ed teacher, so I''m inherently critical of many drivers. This is one of my hot buttons, people not putting their primary attention toward the road. It may sound silly, but I remember going to funerals of kids he taught to drive and how devistated he was about not being able to make a difference.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I've seen it. Regularly.

And it's illegal in Ireland to even hold a phone while driving.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Florida, it's still legal to talk on the phone while driving...they should definitely pass a law against it - the driving here is pretty terrible. It's scary to see all these people talking and driving at the same time.

When I lived in NY, I resisted the idea of having to buy a hands-free set - but once I started using it (after being ticketed $150 for not having one) it really ended up being much more comfortable anyway.

Although...I'm not sure how much these devices really do to help you keep your focus on the road - I think you could still get so engrossed in your conversation your focus is still very much off the road, hands-free or not...

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the rest of Canada (my fellow Canadian PSers will have to chime in), but in Quebec it became illegal just about a month ago.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Iowa, actually. I know it''s illegal in Chicago (but you still see talkers everywhere), but nowhere else I know of nearby. I understand the law completely (studies have shown that phone conversations are MUCH different than if you have a passenger in the car) and I know I''m a worse driver when I''m gabbing, but I seriously rely on my commute conversations - it''s pretty much the only time I catch up with friends.

I will say though that I think that if it''s illegal to talk on your phone as you drive, it should also be illegal to smoke or eat. Lighting a cigarette is WAY more dangerous than dialing, and I can put my phone down (or use a headset, which I often do) whereas most people don''t do that with a cigarette and just drive one handed. OH! And I think smoking should absolutely be banned if there is a child in the car. Every time I see that it makes me sick. But I digress from the topic at hand...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Texting and driving has to be one of the stupidest things ever, you cannot concentrate on the road while your are sending an SMS.

In OZ it is illegal to use your phone when driving period. It annoys me to no end when people use there mobile when behind the wheel of the car especially in merging lanes on the freeway
33.gif
, just pull over and take the call or call them back when you get out of the car.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 7/13/2008 8:55:45 PM
Author: MINIMS

Something I REALLY miss about California. The smoking laws!!!
They JUST passed legislation in the city of Houston, that makes it illegal to smoke in public restaurants, and common indoor areas of bars. If you want to sit outside and enjoy a breeze... be prepared to get smoked out!!!

I smoked for 15 years and quit when I started trying to have a baby... and I am SOOOOOOO annoyed by cigarette smoke!!! No idea why!!! I used to smoke a pack or MORE a day!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In regards to cell phone talking while driving. I have to say... I don''t do it. If my phone rings when I''m driving, I don''t answer it.

I lived in England and saw a very deadly crash on the M4 with like 14 big rigs and 90 some odd cars... and they say it was from someone talking on a cell phone in rain. Which happens everyday there... I think they''ve since passed legislation to ban driving and talking on cell phones! This was back in like 1998 too, so maybe someone from the UK remembers it.

I have 2 babies in my car, and whoever is calling me, they can wait!!!

Your focus goes completely off the road when you talk on the phone, and you become a danger to yourself, your passengers and the people around you.

I can''t remember where I saw it, but I read somewhere that driving and talking on the phone can be compared to being drunk!

Come on Texas, get on the bandwagon!!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

It has been “illegal” in Miami Dade for some time now.

But good luck getting Miami PD to give a hoot. They’re awful here and I’m sorry if that happens to offend anyone. This is off topic but just as an example…yesterday we were driving down Ocean Drive and out of nowhere there was this sign to turn left. But this being Miami, everyone (including us) ignored the sign and kept going straight. The cop watching the road was off to the side eating and just looking at traffic. I turned to my BF and said “watch, she’s going to finish eating right when we get there and tell us to turn around.” Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened…and in true Miami fashion we argued until she said fine just go. When in Rome...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s illegal in England to be holding a phone while driving. You can use handsfree.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not illegal here in Indiana...although the roads aren''t nearly as busy as some of the places you guys are driving. I don''t know if that has anything to do with it. I suspect we''ll have a law enacted whenever the cell phone-related accidents increase in number, but what about eating in your car? Or listening to the radio loudly? Or any number of things that could distract you? It''s difficult to draw the line and even more so to enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results