shape
carat
color
clarity

Iolite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! Its me again:) I have always been on a lookout for blue stones with green or gray and came across this Iolite. What do you guys think? TIA

ioliteoval223.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thats a pretty iolite. Has a stong grey tone to it, but if thats what you are looking for its a nice stone!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks a bit dark to me, so I''d ask for more photos. I read on PS that his photos with black backgrounds are older and not as accurate.

HTH

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally rather have a blue grey spinel. They''re more durable and have more sparkle to them. Not an iolite fan at all.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For an iolite it''s quite nice. Not the best out there, but nicer than most. So if it doesen''t look inky dark in additional photos and it''s not too pricey, not a bad one at all.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 12:42:25 PM
Author: ma re
For an iolite it''s quite nice. Not the best out there, but nicer than most. So if it doesen''t look inky dark in additional photos and it''s not too pricey, not a bad one at all.

Hi guys, I had just purchased it, will post some photos when it arrives. I like this kinda sapphire blue color, size, clarity and price:) I did not request for more photos, hopefully it will not turn out too dark, I hate inky blue (but I don''t think this is the case here) else I will have to return it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although it could be dark, it's a decent looking Iolite which has a tendency to be overly gray. At least I can see a lot of blue in it. The disadvantage is that iolite doesn't sparkle much and some setters have trouble setting it.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 9:20:05 PM
Author: Chrono
Although it could be dark, it''s a decent looking Iolite which has a tendency to be overly gray. At least I can see a lot of blue in it. The disadvantage is that iolite doesn''t sparkle much and some setters have trouble setting it.
Hi Chrono tks for the reply, can you kindly elaborate on ''some setters have trouble setting it''? What are the problems that you anticipate in the setting process? tks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 9:37:03 PM
Author: chictomato
Hi Chrono tks for the reply, can you kindly elaborate on 'some setters have trouble setting it'? What are the problems that you anticipate in the setting process? tks
There is a cleavage plane along which iolite breaks quite easily.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although it could be dark, it''s a decent looking Iolite which has a tendency to be overly gray. At least I can see a lot of blue in it. The disadvantage is that iolite doesn''t sparkle much and some setters have trouble setting it.
Oh dearie me, I see a ton of gray in that thing, which is funny because I know how much you love grey . . . NOT!! LOL!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 9:53:20 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Oh dearie me, I see a ton of gray in that thing, which is funny because I know how much you love grey . . . NOT!! LOL!
Haha TL, honestly I like the color! shall post some picts for you when its here:) Tks Chrono! Yes I am aware of that too:)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have a budget in mind?

For blue with a touch of grey I''d go with spinel, or sapphire for sparkle and durability. I''m considering this one myself, and it''s still very budget friendly.

sdaybel.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 10:08:50 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Did you have a budget in mind?

For blue with a touch of grey I''d go with spinel, or sapphire for sparkle and durability. I''m considering this one myself, and it''s still very budget friendly.

hi tks for the recommendation, I will prefer a custom-cut stone:)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think iolite is pretty. I will be anxious to see your photos and see what you think of it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not see many iolites IRL so I am definitely no expert but it looks very pretty to me.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 12:10:00 AM
Author: crasru
I did not see many iolites IRL so I am definitely no expert but it looks very pretty to me.
Thanks to all the replies! I do appreciate all honest feedbacks:) I do not know why, I am a newbies in gems, and has always been lurking, I came across many fine example of good blue stone, but I just find that I am very much attracted to this blue Iolite. Hopefully IRL the color appears the same as it is on the photo:) Do you guys have any great reference of pretty Iolite jewelry? I would love to make it into a ring:) TIA

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 4:47:20 AM
This one caught my eye more than once:

http://www.whitefirejewelry.com/p/WF00421_medium.jpg

...but I don''t know if/where you could find a setting like that.

That''s a nice looking one, but its a little too ''classy'' looking for me:) Will usual Iolite turns out dark like this one in your reference?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:52:18 AM

That''s a nice looking one, but its a little too ''classy'' looking for me:) Will usual Iolite turns out dark like this one in your reference?
Most iolites will look like that, yes, but I think (or hope...) yours will look better and more blue. Anyway, that was just what I think is a nice piece of iolite jewellery, not a nice piece of iolite set into jewellery - if that makes sense.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 5:12:34 AM
Date: 2/11/2010 4:52:18 AM

Most iolites will look like that, yes, but I think (or hope...) yours will look better and more blue. Anyway, that was just what I think is a nice piece of iolite jewellery, not a nice piece of iolite set into jewellery - if that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense:) Got it!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of this? I''m actually thinking of getting one of my stones set in this type of setting...

Iolite ring.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 5:18:46 AM
Author: virgoruby
What do you think of this? I''m actually thinking of getting one of my stones set in this type of setting...

Do you mean that you are getting this ring as a whole or the setting only? I am not really into curvy designs and I always prefer some diamond melees on a ring setting:) well it''s all up to personal preference!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 6:47:26 AM

Do you mean that you are getting this ring as a whole or the setting only? I am not really into curvy designs and I always prefer some diamond melees on a ring setting:) well it''s all up to personal preference!

I just want a similar ring setting (and not the stone, which incidentally is iolite...) for one of my own gems to be set into.
I do like halo, pave settings as well, but I am trying to experiment with different designs atm..
and yes, the world would be a boring place if everyone had the same taste!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 7:44:41 AM
Date: 2/11/2010 6:47:26 AM

I just want a similar ring setting (and not the stone, which incidentally is iolite...) for one of my own gems to be set into.

I do like halo, pave settings as well, but I am trying to experiment with different designs atm..

and yes, the world would be a boring place if everyone had the same taste!

Yeah you are right:)
I do not remember coming across a similar setting like the one you like on ebay, maybe someone else can chime in? I am trying to ''venture'' into other non-halo settings too:) but I am so addicted to halo...its not easy..

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would look gorgeous with precision cut stone.

I shall try to take a picture of my fake alex''s setting. It comes from Russia and is quite interesting and easy to replicate. I have to take it in the evening and then I shall post it.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys, as I find that there is simply not enough info on Iolite from the web, so I have decided to 'ask Barry". Just wanna share Barry's view base on the photo. Due to Iolite unpopularity, I do not know what exactly to expect. Here is his reply "That's absolutely top color for iolite. It's also cut to a point down at the bottom, so it should have nice, even flash.I don't see any flaws in it, either. I like iolite. It's sturdy and bright when it's cut correctly, even though the R.I.
isn't very high. It's my wife's favorite by far." Well, everything is base only on the photo, hopefully it will turn out as good IRL:) tks!

ETA, Barry is really a great person to work with! Helpful and humorous:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 1:00:29 PM
It''s not a very useful info, but if you haven''t, read this:

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/iolite.html

Also shows a photo of a very good example of iolite.

Hi ma re tks for the link! Yes I did read a similar passage but its not from this particular website:) That is one pretty blue Iolite. However, is this example of a sapphire blue the most desirable color or is it the violet-blue tanzanite color? I seems to be receiving different message from different read up?? TIA:)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Don''t take my word for it, but I think that pure blues are more sought after. But really, any nice, rich and deep color will be sought after, especially if there''s no grey visible in the stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic - search under my name and Iolite and you''ll see a picture of a pair of earrings I own. Unless you were told otherwise you''d think they were Tanzanites. I love them.

John is a great guy so I''m sure if your new stone is a little too dark there''ll be no problem with returning it. Make sure you see it in different lights though before making a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results